Have you ever experienced trophy hunting burnout?

DieHardDavidN

I have always enjoyed gaming since 1991 when I got my Sega Master System for my 7th birthday. Since then I have owned pretty much every gaming console/handheld that has been released. When achievements arrived on Xbox 360 I soon became an achievement hunter and loved trying to get 100% on the games I played and unsurprisingly, trophies were my next calling.

For some reason, for the last month or so, I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for trophy hunting. I have several games on the backlog to work on (Alien Isolation, Metal Gear Solid 5, GTA 5 online, Evil Within, Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Batman Arkham Knight) etc but every time I start up a game I start to quickly lose interest and enthusiasm. 

Has this happened to anyone on here? How long did your burnout last and how did you get your enthusiasm back?

I may play a retro game later on my SNES or Megadrive to see if it's 'gaming burnout' or 'trophy burnout'

Edited by DieHardDavidN

Well it depends how you game. I would say if you are really strict with your gaming Habits that you only touch a new game if you have every trophy in the game you are playing right now then I can understand why you can get stressed. For me it helps to just Play the games I like and if I want to go for the platinum I go for it. If it´s just to tedious I will put it aside and Play another game I have interest in. Maybe I will come back later to the backlog game but if not .. well then not :D 

I get my enthusiasm back if I see a lot of other Player get the platinum. Competition is always a good way to want to do it too.

• Like 1

You bet your ass I have.

I've been saying this a lot lately in the forums so I won't go at it here again, but I'm happy the way it is now. I am not cut out to be a trophy hunter, that's about it. I'll get a plat here and there but I don't actually care about the plat, it's all about the game and my fun with it.

J

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DieHardDavidN said:

I have always enjoyed gaming since 1991 when I got my Sega Master System for my 7th birthday. Since then I have owned pretty much every gaming console/handheld that has been released. When achievements arrived on Xbox 360 I soon became an achievement hunter and loved trying to get 100% on the games I played and unsurprisingly, trophies were my next calling.

For some reason, for the last month or so, I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for trophy hunting. I have several games on the backlog to work on (Alien Isolation, Metal Gear Solid 5, GTA 5 online, Evil Within, Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Batman Arkham Knight) etc but every time I start up a game I start to quickly lose interest and enthusiasm. 

Has this happened to anyone on here? How long did your burnout last and how did you get your enthusiasm back?

I may play a retro game later on my SNES or Megadrive to see if it's 'gaming burnout' or 'trophy burnout'

Just do what I did and start a fresh account. Play just  1-2 games a time until completion. I found having a huge backlog of games to work through was too stressful and felt like a job rather than fun.

Edited by usapro2017

I did after doing Drakengard 3's platinum run. This game has no right to be challenging with its messy frame rate drops and nerve-wracking input lag. The entire ordeal made be reconsider my priorities of what I decide to plat. I just took a breather by playing stuff on my Vita instead on home console. It was a good refresher.

I didn't return to hunting after my last burnout. Didn't like who I was becoming, buying easy but no fun games for the completion and ignoring cool games with a stupid list...

These days, I play whatever I feel like, multiplatforms I often play on Switch where there's no trophies at all. And on PS4(/PS3), whenever I play a game for the first time I turn off trophy notifications and I do not look at the trophy list until I've played through the story at least once.

I occasionally still go for completions, if I really loved playing the game, but it's one in twenty or even less often at this point.

• Like 1

Losing your gaming mojo is not uncommon matey

Just find a fun title that you can play and it will all be good

Try a remaster of something you may have played and enjoyed before (I hit up the Burnout Paradise remaster a month or so ago and it rekindled the fire nicely)

Stay away from mopping up tough trophies for a bit and have a splurge on summat fun or easy

Happens to us all at some point

1 hour ago, DieHardDavidN said:

As long as you dont have lost interest in gaming overall, it will probably just be a phase. You hunt for several years, it is completely normal to feel a bit less enthusiastic about trophy / achievement hunting. I've been there, have played and hunted since 2008, also on 360 first.

I share your current situation at the moment. Its freaking hot outside for the past 1 1/2 months, I cant get proper sleep, I lack motivation to start up a game and instead watch Netflix.

14 minutes ago, usapro2017 said:

Just do what I did and start a fresh account. Play 1-2 games a time. I found having a huge backlog of games to work through was too stressful and felt like a job rather than fun.

Yeah, that backlog is also an issue. Sometime I feel like buying games is more fun, than actually playing them. I stopped paying over 20 bucks for games, I am sure, I wont play the next few days. At least I dont buy crap games, I dont have any interest in.

On the other hand, having a backlog is good. I mean, just imagine you reach the point of not having a single game in your backlog, nothing to play and no new games to buy? In this day and age its probably impossible, but still. I try to relax about having too many games in my backlog (currently 21); rather too much than to little.

24 minutes ago, usapro2017 said:

Just do what I did and start a fresh account. Play just  1-2 games a time until completion. I found having a huge backlog of games to work through was too stressful and felt like a job rather than fun.

I know a couple people that have started fresh new accounts recently after feeling their backlogues were too high.

Dunno if I could do that lol. Wouldn’t it feel like those hundreds of hours you spent trophy hunting were kinda wasted? 

Just completed Castle Of Illusion and now starting up Quackshot on my Megadrive. Not played these games in years but having a lot of fun with them. 

Guess it’s more trophy burnout than gaming burnout.

Edited by DieHardDavidN

Yes, I have experienced trophy burnout.

During the year of 2015, my trophy hunting activity was very intense. I collected 29 platinums and all of them gave me work to achieve. I know that, for some of you, 29 “serious” plats isn’t much, but, for me, was a record. During the following year, I felt completely burned out and unmotivated to hunt trophies and all I wanted was just to play multiplayer and nothing more, so that year I only got 18 plats. 

I got my enthusiasm back, by setting a goal of at least one platinum per month, that I’ve been keeping until today and also by playing some easy games with easy platinums once in a while, because, at least for me, doing lots of serious platinums in a year leaves me in an exhausted state. This experience made me learn to appreciate easy and fast platinums. They have a refreshing effect on me.

13 minutes ago, DieHardDavidN said:

I know a couple people that have started fresh new accounts recently after feeling their backlogues were too high.

Dunno if I could do that lol. Wouldn’t it feel like those hundreds of hours you spent trophy hunting were kinda wasted? 

Just completed Castle Of Illusion and now starting up Quackshot on my Megadrive. Not played these games in years but having a lot of fun with them. 

Guess it’s more trophy burnout than gaming burnout.

I'd never start a new or alternate account as my gaming history is part of me, I'm not going to pretend those games didn't happen.

I still have a SNES and an N64 next to the current gen trophy-less Switch, and I still play from time to time. Simpler times.

• Like 2

I have never experienced trophy hunting burnout, I just finally healed myself from trophy hunting with easy games (games which you can achieve platinum very fast and easy from 15 to 4 hours). Total waste of time and money, now I'm trophy hunting only on AAA games, hard and challenging games, because achieving the platinum trophy in XCOM 2, Divinity Original Sin or Super Meat Boy makes you feel like "Ooooh thanks to my effort I finally got it, good work tjoe!".

Instead getting platinum on indie games, easy and fast platinum, unknown games available on PS Store only to earn money because of player's trophy hunting's addiction, the satisfaction level almost reaches level zero.

In my case I lose interest rather than getting burnt out from gaming. I started gaming in the late 90s and it's happened countless times whether it was an MMO, PC gaming or the xBox. Sometimes it lasts a few years, other times a few months. I'm just one of those that drift in and out of various hobbies depending on where I am and what's going on in my life. It is really refreshing though to come back after a long break and experience games with a fresh pair of eyes.

This is actually the longest I've ever gamed continuously on a console so I do wonder how long I can keep it going. There just seem to be so many good games on PS that I still need to play!

Edited by Zolkovo

oh hell yeah, I've been doing this for 9 years but last few years I just feel done, I don't have time or nerves to do complicated boosting sessions or multiple playthroughs so I only ever go for the plat in the games that are either easy, enjoyable enough, have difficult but simple trophy lists (I hate looking at walkthroughs to plat the game) or I just love the game so I am willing to suffer through it
but generally yeah I have definitely burnt out and lately I just play games and go for plat if I feel like it

1 hour ago, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

I have never experienced trophy hunting burnout, I just finally healed myself from trophy hunting with easy games (games which you can achieve platinum very fast and easy from 15 to 4 hours). Total waste of time and money, now I'm trophy hunting only on AAA games, hard and challenging games, because achieving the platinum trophy in XCOM 2, Divinity Original Sin or Super Meat Boy makes you feel like "Ooooh thanks to my effort I finally got it, good work tjoe!".

Instead getting platinum on indie games, easy and fast platinum, unknown games available on PS Store only to earn money because of player's trophy hunting's addiction, the satisfaction level almost reaches level zero.

Ya, if i could delete my easy plats and get my money back.I wouldn't think twice

Games like Albedo, Energy Cycle, 36 Fragments etc etc are just a waste of money (and time).

That's just my opinion. But everybody must do what they want.  Just make sure you're enjoying what you're doing.

Edited by ExquisiteSteez

I get life burnt out sometimes and that usually accompanies my gaming burn out. It never lasts more then a week and I try to combat it by getting my bare minimum one trophy a day and switching up my habits. Maybe I'll go on a bean dive and get a single trophy in 20 games, or maybe I'll buy a new short game and finish it in 20 minutes. Maybe I'll finally grind the 68 hours I need in TOM Blitz or maybe I'll start a new game without having a clue what it's about. Otherwise I'll focus on another hobby all together.

Nope, because I never force myself to do it "just because".

I have read all the post so far and it seems it happens to people who play shitty games just for the easy plats, who have the need to maintain a certain stat (trophies per day, platinums per month, rank) or those who plat too mich stuff with lots of online grinding that requires sessions.

Me? I play whatever comes out that I want to play or I pick up one of the games on my selective backlog that contains a variety of genres and consoles. After each game I complete I usually don't feel like starting something new, so I watch some stuff that piled up on youtube or some more episodes of an Anime. Then, after a week or so I feel like playing something and I start again. Always playing only games I like, because what's the point if you don't enjoy the game you are playing?

If you feel like you are forcing yourself to play, something is wrong. Just stop for a bit and clear your mind. Changing it up here and there will help you a lot.

• Like 1

I've been trophy hunting for over four years now and I'm just as enthusiastic if not more so than when I first started. Trophy hunting has never felt like a chore to me and that's because I only play the kinds of games I'm interested in. I don't play games just for the sake of earning trophies which is a very important distinction to make. @AndresLionheart hits the nail on the head: it appears that most of the people who experience "trophy hunting burnout" are doing it for the wrong reasons. It's bound to happen eventually.

• Like 2