Have you ever experienced trophy hunting burnout?

DieHardDavidN

I am fairly new to trophy hunting so its still exciting to me when I created this account on my ps4 though I tried to be clever and plat all games starting with the letter a that burned me out quick because I started to play a lot of games I didnt enjoy to quickly so no I have broaden my choices and back to having fun again

Hey guys !

It happened to me few years ago, and it happened three times for different reasons !

I started trophy hunting in 2009, I was a very interested member of one of the most important french trophy hunting forum (which is dead now). They acted to much like a dictature, they always made new rules to be a part of their leaderboard. So Ialways had to play more to be a part of them, then I didn't enjoyed playing for months. In may 2010, after my 18th platinum trophy, I decided to stop playing on my account and restart from scratch just and play on my own with none of them as a friend.

Then I started my new account in may 2010, I had tons of hours of gaming because I just finished my studies, then I played a lot but I always wanted more and more trophies so I've been in the bad side of trophy hunting and bought easy games likeSapre Parts, Megamind, Hannah Montana, WWE legends, Kung Fu Panda and others ...After my 39th platinum in february 2012, I had a break and found a new job in a foreign country ...

So I started a new account in this new country and played on it for 5 years with few breaks in it just because I was missing times to play, and I was a member of a website with a leaderboard so like in 2010 I made a burn out due to the leaderboards, I always wanted to get more trophies that the previous guys, which I found now really stupid...

Then I went back to France in april 2017 and after 2 months without playing at all, I decided to play only games that I like and trying to finish them at 100%. So I started a new french account and I'm really happy with, I only play when I really want it, I don't care about leaderboards, all I want is to complete my games , I don't care if I complete 5 or 30 platinum per year. All I want is to have fun while I'm playing. I'll be a dad in few months so I'll have less time for playing, then I'll more appreciate my gaming time :)

Ps : sorry for my english if I made few mistakes !

Yes, my first major burnout happened around the time of my 16th birthday (March, 2013).

I had just finished Assassin’s Creed Revelations to 100%. Over the course of the next 2 years I only played a total of 4 games.. and only 1 of these games I actually managed to finish the campaign (Grand Theft Auto 5). I do think that excessive trophy hunting aided in my total loss of interest, but it was probably this and a number of other factors.

From mid 2015 to late 2017, my gaming was still at a very slow pace. I played maybe 20 or so games during this time period, and none of those games were that memorable. It was only when I bought my PS4 (December of last year) that I actually started to enjoy gaming again.

So yeah, it seems that it took me nearly 4 years to recover. Buying a PS4 is how I got my enthusiasm back for gaming/trophy hunting. Let’s hope this newly found interest doesn’t fade any time soon ?

On 9.8.2018 at 11:04 AM, Carol said:

Yes, I have experienced trophy burnout.

During the year of 2015, my trophy hunting activity was very intense. I collected 29 platinums and all of them gave me work to achieve. I know that, for some of you, 29 “serious” plats isn’t much, but, for me, was a record. During the following year, I felt completely burned out and unmotivated to hunt trophies and all I wanted was just to play multiplayer and nothing more, so that year I only got 18 plats. 

I got my enthusiasm back, by setting a goal of at least one platinum per month, that I’ve been keeping until today and also by playing some easy games with easy platinums once in a while, because, at least for me, doing lots of serious platinums in a year leaves me in an exhausted state. This experience made me learn to appreciate easy and fast platinums. They have a refreshing effect on me.

Wow, even 1 each month is a lot. At least for me. I actually wanna stop hunting when I hit 100 platinums and just start on a new account without going for trophies, since it doesn't give me the same feeling anymore. I don't know if it classifies as burnout though...

I started to get this way when I was playing every game I saw cheap or any game that was supposedly easy. What I ended up doing was playing games I had no interest in just because it was cheap or easy. I'm very strict on what I'll play now, I only platinum games I know I will love or the trophy list looks exciting and I've seen some gameplay. Life's too short to play shit games

Yes i had one big trophy burnout in 2016 and since then changed my gaming habits to enjoy it again. When i started trophy hunting i could go and play a game for 5 or 6 hours straight and i did that for 4 years, however i didnt enjoy completing the last few games and started a few new games but i couldnt be bothered to finish them. So i stopped playing games and started watching TV shows, occasionally trying to play games but then after playing for 1 hour i got bored.

After half a year i decided it was enough and i bought a new game that i didnt play for trophies but just to enjoy it and that worked. Slowly got back into gaming but trophy hunting is not as important for me anymore. I bought a nintendo system to enjoy colorful games, subscribed to netflix and hunt trophies for max 2 hours a day now.

• 1 month later...

I am currently experiencing this now for the first time ever. I felt it slowly creeping up on me, I was playing easy or games I had no interest in just to get the platinum, I had a few that were supposed to be ridiculously easy but I struggled with and just made me more frustrated. So I told myself I will only platinum games I love or find absolutely enjoyable. It has worked for a while but I'm finding even those games aren't enjoyable any more. Hopefully I will find that fire in me that made me enjoy trophy hunting again one day. I do love watching other trophy hunters play, just not doing it myself ironically.