Gearbox,Sega Sued over Aliens:Colonial Marines

I don't think they really have a case. The gameplay they showed (which didn't make it in the final game) may have actually been gameplay and unless it was specified whether it would be in the game for sure I don't really think you can call the false advertising.

Regardless, if you're gonna start a lawsuit over a $60 game because you wanted it to be better, you need something else to do in your life.

Parker

• Like 2

I don't think they do. Consumers could have waited for the reviews. No one forced them to go to the midnight launch or as soon as the store opened. I had the game reserved, but I waited until I read the reviews which is why I didn't buy that crap. Several reviews were out by 3pm release day which kept me from throwing my money away. Patience is a virtue.

• Like 1

My guess they'll try and use the "they outsourced the game to other developers" arguement.

Meaning they showed gamers the E3 clip,and "tricked" gamers into thinking they made it,but instead outsourced it.

I don't think they do. Consumers could have waited for the reviews. No one forced them to go to the midnight launch or as soon as the store opened. I had the game reserved, but I waited until I read the reviews which is why I didn't buy that crap. Several reviews were out by 3pm release day which kept me from throwing my money away. Patience is a virtue.

Agreed.

I stopped buying games on launch day,and just waiting till the reviews come in.

There have been multiple games in the past where they show something in a trailer or just simple game play that doesn't end up being in the game. I really don't see the case here...Thanks for sharing though. I didn't know about this. 

No problem.

If I recall correctly, Bioshock Infinite showed a scene in the commercials in which Elizabeth was shown with a noose around her neck and that was never included in the final release. It is quite common for games to show things that don't end up in the final version.

Parker

Hell no they don't have a case, otherwise Nintendo would have had their pants sued off for Mario is Missing (anyone remember the pictures they showed for that? It was like a real Mario game starring Luigi, and the graphics looked N64/GCN level.)

If I recall correctly, Bioshock Infinite showed a scene in the commercials in which Elizabeth was shown with a noose around her neck and that was never included in the final release. It is quite common for games to show things that don't end up in the final version.

Parker

Indeed.

Hell no they don't have a case, otherwise Nintendo would have had their pants sued off for Mario is Missing (anyone remember the pictures they showed for that? It was like a real Mario game starring Luigi, and the graphics looked N64/GCN level.)

Or this :D

mkhst.jpg

They might actually have a case even though I don't think they really should. A court in the UK ruled that it was infact false advertising forcing all commercials in the UK to add in text stating that footage in the commercial is not real.

I got my info on this roughly a month ago via Kotaku.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sue for false advertisement, or anything like that.

I would sue for gross negligence, and outright embezzlement.

They took the money for development and used it on Borderlands 2.

And then tolds us all fuck you, we don't care.

At the very least, ALL heads of staff at Gearbox should be terminated immediately without compensation.

But that's just my opinion.  -_-

Honestly, if they need to be sued over it. I think it has gotten out of hand, like yeah they showed stellar gameplay at E3 but that can change at given time.

I enjoyed A:CM (think me crazy, I'm fine with it),  I personally hate reviews. I'll buy games on the pretense of if it appeals to me, not off some bias critic.

I wouldn't sue for false advertisement, or anything like that.

I would sue for gross negligence, and outright embezzlement.

They took the money for development and used it on Borderlands 2.

And then tolds us all fuck you, we don't care.

At the very least, ALL heads of staff at Gearbox should be terminated immediately without compensation.

But that's just my opinion.  -_-

I would sue them for that instead of false advertisement.

Nah they don't have a case, and I'm surprised people didn't see it coming with the game to be fair.

It has been a long time since an alien game has been worthwhile ...

The only good Alien game is the AVP arcade game and the 2009 game.

http://kotaku.com/sega-false-advertising-lawsuit-is-without-merit-487931613

“SEGA cannot comment on specifics of ongoing litigation, but we are confident that the lawsuit is without merit and we will defend it vigorously,” SEGA told Kotaku.

Gearbox has not responded to our request for comment.The plaintiff seeks damages for people who bought the game before the discrepancies between advertising and final product were publicly known. As we've noted before, there is a noticeable difference between the advertising and the actual game.

UPDATE: Gearbox responds:

"Attempting to wring a class action lawsuit out of a demonstration is beyond meritless. We continue to support the game, and will defend the rights of entertainers to share their works-in-progress without fear of frivolous litigation."

Sounds about right ^^

End of the day he wasn't foced to buy it and if people didn't throw money into every game, devs would pay more attention :)

That's the key point in this whole thing, he wasn't forced to buy it and TBH if he bought on the basis of a trailer more fool him, a little bit of research would have avoided the whole situation  :rolleyes: