ChernobylNinja

What Made you a Playstation Fan (Plat Cast topic)

41 posts in this topic

Hey guys, as a few of you know @Bushido7745785 and I have a podcast, "Plat Cast" and every week we ask the community here at psnprofiles one of our topics of discussion and one of our topics this week is:

What made you a playstation fan? Or what was the first time you went "Damn I love Playstation". We look forward to your replies!

Hmm when did I become a Playstation fan? That's rather a hard question because I love all consoles. Personally I started with the Nintendo Nes, as my parents tell me, and my actual first memory playing is either Sega Genesis or Nintendo 64. As time went on I eventually got the first Playstation console and played a bunch of "exclusives", if you will, and was in love like I was with the other consoles.

I guess I like Playstation more as I grew up because of Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto 3, Okami, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors to name a few games and franchises. I even also had Xbox and Dreamcast and basically everything. See, now you see why this is a difficult question. I play every kind of console I have and do not really have a favorite. I love everything equal. So the easiest way I can answer this is since day one I loved Playstation like I do every other console. 

Nintendo

Microsoft

Playstation

Sega

All awesome in their own right. I would love to read other people's answers as well. 

Final Fantasy was what made me a PS fan. I had friends that went the N64 route and had the likes of Golden Eye, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, etc, but nothing compared to bonding with emo Squall and the rest of the Balamb gang.

I stuck with PS over the years because I continue to enjoy JRPGs, and the big titles are more prevalent on PS.

Had I gotten used to PC gaming as a kid, I may have went that route, but I can't fathom picking that up now.

I actually had a Sega Genesis and N64 before having a PS2, and the only one of the 3 that I still have is the N64!

I think the one thing that made me a PlayStation fan was not any particular game in general, but I think it's the fun I had playing with my brother or going to a friend's house and playing different games there. I discovered Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and final fantasy this way, and I can still recall playing Shrek Super Party with my brother! (Definitely recommend!) xD

I've pretty much liked PS all my life, but was wondering were i can find the podcast. Would like to give it a listen.

I loved the exclusive games more than the XBox, but what sold me the most was the controller. From the days of the PS1 I've been in love with how the controller feels. The XBox controller feels way too big for me, and I hated how the joysticks weren't straight across from each other.

Looking back I guess I can say it was during the PS2 era that made me a "fan", and I suppose it was just the games it had compared to Microsoft and Nintendo's exclusives. And as annoying as most people find this? I fucking hated the controllers on the other systems. 

Despite saying the PS2 era is where I can probably pinpoint it, I could probably go back further to the PS1 but it just didn't have much competition and as a young kid none of that stuff occurred to me. Aside from Ocarina of Time nothing I had played on the N64 came close to touching anything I played on the PS1. 

1 hour ago, StarMadeKnight said:

I've pretty much liked PS all my life, but was wondering were i can find the podcast. Would like to give it a listen.

Right now we are only on soundcloud, but we are working to get on iTunes and getting an RSS feed up and running.

I've been a PS fan for as long as I can remember, but a more recent thing that made me think "damn I love PlayStation," was finishing Uncharted 4. We've been on this wild ride with Nathan Drake since 2007 on the PS3, following him through 5 games and 3 systems, all leading up to the finale. Towards the end, I was just pretty thankful to PlayStation and Naughty Dog to be able to experience a tale like that. Same goes for the many different series available on PS.

For me it was as a child being at a friends place and seeing Gran Turismo on PS1. That was the reason why i bought the console. Just two years later i wanted the newer PS2 and with it came Gran Turismo 3 lucky me. My favorite racing game to this day. Probably the game i spent most hours in. Played it regularly for 4 years :D

To be honest...when I started working for them. 

I owned a PS1 pretty late and pretty much just played RPGs. PS2 I bought and played between that and my Gamecube.

But I started working for Playstation in 2010 and got a whole bunch of games for free at the same time and started to see all of the amazing different series they had while at the same time playing Mario Galaxy 2...and I was like "I am playing my 200th Mario game and it is still great but I have all these other games like inFAMOUS, Uncharted, Littlebigplanet, Heavy Rain, Bioshock, etc to play...I will come back to Mario" and honestly I never really went back. I started playing more and more Playstation games and realized just what an amazing depth they had and it made me appreciate them as a company.

Like I said working for them and getting bombarded with amazing games from all genres made me a huge fan. I still get chills watching this commercial :)

I bought the original xbox then moved to the 360 but had horrible experiences with my 360's one had the red ring of death got another one ended up losing all sound on it eventually bought a third one which was a bad idea, eventually after getting my christmas bonus from work I decided to buy a ps3 and fell in love with it ever since and to this day it still works no hiccups no problems I have not had a issue with it, my first father's day as a father my wife got me a ps4 so I can safely say I am a playstation fan for life now

1 hour ago, ChernobylNinja said:

Right now we are only on soundcloud, but we are working to get on iTunes and getting an RSS feed up and running.

Thanks, i'll have a look next weekend, bit busy all week. 

Have you thought of putting the episodes on YouTube? Good for peeps who don't want to use soundcloud, iTunes etc.

Parents bought me a PS1 and so naturally it was a progression... but it was only until PS3 where I started to really appreciate the exclusives and for me, PlayStation has the biggest range of different genres including my favourite:  JRPGs.

Basically, the Playstation 2. The more I used it, the more I realized its exclusives were more my thing. I was never really much of a Nintendo fanboy (even though I have all of their handhelds), and Xbox mostly caters to Western tastes - which I find have grown increasingly stale. If you want all the innovative Japanese games, Playstation's the way to go.

I also really like their controllers - none of them's ever been bad.

I am a PlayStation fan, because, for me, PS Exclusives are the best and truly unbeatable in quality. About the moment I thought “I love PlayStation!”, well, it happens to me every time I play a Naughty Dog game!

Well my story dates back to when the NES was released. I didn't have one myself but I lived close to a friend that had one. Well one day he came over and brought a Nintendo power magazine with him. I was looking through it and was interested in it. He asked me to come over and help him with a game he was having trouble with. The game was Dragon Warrior I (aka..Dragon Quest). I played it and was hooked and could not put it down. well that's what got me started playing video games. Then the SNES came out and to me was a great system. A couple years later we were introduced to the PS1. Loved it from the start but what got me stuck on playstation was the exclusives and one of my favorite games of all the......FFVII. By far the best and most iconic RPGs of all time IMO. So that hooked me from the start. but at that time I didn't play a lot. I started playing more when the ps2 came out and my fav game on that one was Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. but I played a lot of games on that system. Then we get the PS3 and I owned it day 1. Even though it weighed 400 LOL  it was a lot of fun. I still own 2 ps3 and a massive Library of games. We didn't get the trophy system until much later than the xbox did but once we got it I was totally hooked. 

I have stuck with Sony all the way. As far as my experience with them so far has been pretty good. The playstation store is much better than any other console IMO. the exclusives are the best. From what ive experienced also from customer service...the sony customer service has always been satisfying. LOL sorry for the long story. Im a 45 year old gamer that has no intentions of ever stopping. Been a lot of great game and systems come out since I was a kid and I love the evolution of what video games have become

I'm a Sony fanboy.

I only plat games on PlayStation , PlayStation is the best for playing multi-platform multi-player games.

Besides the great exclusives, what made me stay were the controllers. You can bring me all the ergonomics studies stating that MS ones are better, but i cannot get use to those controllers.

I guess I was "raised" to be fan, truth be told.  I got PSX for christmas when I was 4, so I can thank my mom. Even when I went through my "Must play everything on PC cuz FPS" phase, I eventually came back to finish up my back log, which seems to endless... and growing, thanks to my obsession of collecting everything interesting for my PS3. 😅

I guess my appreciation for Playstation started when I learned about the wide library of different games for it, as well as its exclusives - in fact, each console I own (PS3, PS Vita, PS4) initially was bought for an exclusive title I was thrilled for (Bayonetta/Persona 4 Golden/Persona 5), and later I've been picking interesting titles for each. I'm glad I chose Playstation.

Before PSone, I was full Nintendo, well, not really full Nintendo, but I had my SNES and I was happy. Then I got my PSone and never went back. While on PSone everything was new, on Nintendo was all about Marios.

20 years later nothing has changed on Nintendo, so I'm sticking to PS forever I guess. I don't need a Switch, I have a Vita, thanks.

17 hours ago, StarMadeKnight said:

Thanks, i'll have a look next weekend, bit busy all week. 

Have you thought of putting the episodes on YouTube? Good for peeps who don't want to use soundcloud, iTunes etc.

I'll bring that up next recording!

I've been a fan since I first played a Playstation but let me explain how big that is of a meaning to me. See, I started playing games on a Nes, with the rule of only allowed to play when it rained. Eventually growing up with other systems, Like Sega Genesis where I can fondly remember the Virgin Soundbyte that came on when I started the game. I was at the age where I didn't know it had another meaning and would randomly mimic it... like in a public place. I played multiple systems and still do, but I prefer PlayStation. The following story is why.

When I was growing up, I didn't get the Playstation for just me but it was at our house (I can't recall if it was for step-brother or a family thing but it wasn't mine, that's for sure. Or wasn't meant exclusively for me.) My sisters were playing a game and I was off doing something, probably reading a book or the like and they call me into the room. Thier they were playing Metal Gear Solid. They were stuck on the first boss and didn't know what to do, so they asked me. I sat down, learned the controls and one attempt later, I was handing the controller back to them to continue. It was such a good feeling that has never left me. I eventually did get to play the game myself and many other games. My first favorite game was on PSX, Final Fantasy VI. And now, on the PS4, Persona 5 has taken the spot as my favorite game. I have played and I own all PS systems, still have my old PSX and PS2 memory cards (and recollecting games I've lost or want to finish.) I switched to 360 to keep up on the times before the PS3 came out. I play any system even now, I will hunt achievements (Xbox or Steam) but I prefer trophies alot. 

So there you go. That is my story.