ChernobylNinja

What Made you a Playstation Fan (Plat Cast topic)

41 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2018 at 6:12 AM, ChernobylNinja said:

What made you a playstation fan? We look forward to your replies!

I used to be a playstation air-conditioner but now I'm a playstation fan

Gran Turismo and Resident evil 3. I lost so many days to those 2 games alone, I was 21 and just moved into my own home. I won a playstation through a local pub competition and was hooked with gameplay. I eventually upgraded to a ps2 and dabbled with xbox due to the hard-drive.  The only reason I got a 360 was the price of the ps3 when it first came out plus "achievements" but once my 2nd 360 red ringed I gave in and bought a ps3, never looked back at xbox. I love the everything about the playstations from the controller to the vr.

On 8/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, ChernobylNinja said:

Hey guys, as a few of you know @Bushido7745785 and I have a podcast, "Plat Cast" and every week we ask the community here at psnprofiles one of our topics of discussion and one of our topics this week is:

What made you a playstation fan? Or what was the first time you went "Damn I love Playstation". We look forward to your replies!

My (foster) mum played video games with me as a kid (90's). She bought me a PlayStation One with Spyro the Dragon, Star Ocean the Second Story and 40 Winks. She taught me to play the system so that I could be left alone to play it, but we always played Spyro together. I grew up in a neighborhood where the parents all agreed the PlayStation was the easiest to understand, eventually my friends and I all had PlayStations for Christmas and Birthdays. We kept this trend up until the PS4's launch. My house has 3 PS1's 2 PS2's 6 PSP's and one PS3 and one PS4. My best friend across the street owns every type of PS4 (Normal, Pro, Slim).

In Dublin, the PS4 is top dog. It had an impact starting in the 90's and became the top gaming system of Ireland. Bit of competition with the GameCube during the PS2 era. Surely I mean Xbox, right? Nope. Xbox died a fucking death in Ireland.

Edited by Cynicaljam96
I'm typing half awake

I had a 360 for 8 years. When it was time to upgrade, my plan was to get a gaming PC and a PS4 for all exclusives. While the gaming PC never became real, the PS4 Pro did. 

It just felt like coming home again, after being 8 years away. I had a PS1 and PS2 before my 360.

These are the games, which made my decision easier to switch to PS again: Nier:Automata, Uncharted 4, TLoU, Bloodborne, R&C and especially HZD, which was released a few days before I bought my PS4

I started with a Sega Master System followed by a Super Nintendo. And while I still love Nintendo to this day, the PS1 (my third console) changed everything. Pretty much because of Final Fantasy, Tekken, Metal Gear and Soul Blade which were all exclusive to the Playstation. And throughout the years Sony kept a lot of exclusives I was interested in.

I would love to have some great story about it but people I knew all had a Playstation 3 so that is why I got one too.

I fell in love with gaming when I was 4 years old and it started by playing pc games and my parents wouldn’t buy me a console because they knew I would be glued to the tv for hours (they were right). Eventually my cousin gave me his original PlayStation so I stuck with Sony ever since. If I had been given an Xbox I’d probably be with Xbox today. Luck of the draw I suppose but I’m sure glad my cousin had good taste. 

I was with my best friend as he purchased his PS1 way back when. Included was the great demo disc but also one of the games he purchased had the demo for FF7, and that sold me. I got my own soon after. I started off with Castlevania SOTN and Resident Evil Directors Cut. Soon after I kept buying and buying, and my backlog had alot of great stuff; GTA 1, Lunar, Xenogears, all the Final Fantasys, and about 60 more at least. When PS2 released I scooped it up, but it doesnt hold as close to my heart as the original. 

I have been on the Sony Playstation bandwagon since September 9, 1995. This was the release date of Sony Playstation in the United States. I bought my original system with Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden. 

I wasn't impressed with the Sega Saturn and I was angry how Nintendo fucked Sony on the CD platform they were working on together. So I rolled the dice and won, BIG TIME.

I still remember my first days with the PSX as some of the best in my gaming life.

My Sega Genesis wasn't cutting it anymore so I saved up my birthday and Christmas money, did extra chores, and bought myself a PlayStation. I have been a loyal fan ever since.

Great topic.

Personally, I got "into" PlayStation back in the PS1 era simply because my older brother bought one and I got to have my share of gaming time when he wasn't on it.  I'm guessing many people of my age (early 30's) have a similar experience.

Why I stayed with PlayStation, and why I still consider myself a "PlayStation fan" is a much harder question to answer.  I suppose simply, games, would be the obvious answer.  PlayStation always offered a wide variety of games from all different genres to try.  Some of my fondest memories as a kid growing up were rummaging through the 2nd hand games of my local store with my mates and then trying them out when we got home.  RPGs, JRPGs, Football (early FIFA & PES), Action, Strategy, weird rhythm games, etc.  Such a diverse catalogue of games to choose from kept me coming back for more, and which keeps me, to this day, a "fan" of the platform.

Other factors that helped shape my opinion would include;

• Friends being primarily on PlayStation too.
  • Access to Japanese titles.
  • Final Fantasy (was a huge fan growing up - 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12, 13, 15, Tactics)
  • The Sony handheld consoles - PSP PS Vita
  • PSVR (yes, we need better games, but the fact that Sony were prepared to gamble on something new & different says a lot about the company)
  • Better exclusive titles - TLoU, GoW, R&C, Sly, HZD, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, LBP, Journey, inFAMOUS, Buzz, Wipeout, Crash, Tekken, Destruction Derby, Persona, etc. etc. etc.)

If I was to try/jump to another platform, I'd go with Nintendo, but I'm pretty happy with PlayStation right now.  I can't play everything, but at least with PlayStation, I get the chance to play most things.

Edited by ragnarok2887

On 13.08.2018 at 10:05 AM, Cynicaljam96 said:

Xbox died a fucking death in Ireland.

Not just in Ireland, sadly.

11 hours ago, Merlarva said:

Not just in Ireland, sadly.

From where do you hail, friend.

For me, after the arcades, there was Sega Genesis and then in '94 there was the enlightenment in the form of Playstation. Seeing the truly first 3D game which was Twisted Metal on a console that used CD's and had stupid symbols on the controller, was jaw-dropping :D

Stayed with PS ever since and had every console. 

Edited by Ptirle

Hey you guuuuuuuuuuyyyyyssss!

This was an incredibly fun episode to make gang! Thanks SO much for the great stories that gave us insight on you being a PlayStation fan! We really appreciate the support!

We have submitted an application to iTunes, and we are currently working on getting our episodes onto YouTube, so make sure to look out for those. Of course, we'll announce when those services host our show as well.

Again, thank you all SO much! We're having a great time putting these together, and we're loving the support you all give us! :)