Suggestion: Night Mode

Soufwar

4 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Question.

Wouldn't typing on the forums...whether it was Day or Night mode...be interfering with your sleep? I mean it is hard to type on a forum board while sleeping.

Just wondering :) 

I didn’t think of it that way, thanks a lot for telling me what insomnia is. The interference I am talking about is from blue light, that’s what keeps you awake. I like to visit PSNP and check the forums before bed so it would be night to have a night mode. As someone that uses screens a lot I would like to have a night more in everything, even PSNP. Now can you please share your opinion on the suggestion itself rather than the passive aggressiveness :) thanks ? 

• Like 2

They have apps that block blue light (also you can film for your glasses if you're a glasses wearer). I have an app for my phone I use to keep the brightness down at night, even I don't have any of the symptoms that made getting the glasses film necessary. 

With that said, I enabled dark mode on Reddit and I thought I would hate it, but I actually love it. It makes everything so much easier to read. I think it may also lower the power consumption or something.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

With that said, I enabled dark mode on Reddit and I thought I would hate it, but I actually love it. It makes everything so much easier to read. I think it may also lower the power consumption or something.

I have light mode everywhere, except for on Discord, where dark mode doesn't bother me for some reason. Most likely because all the other sites had light mode from the start, while dark mode was a default for Discord, so it's probably just whatever I'm used to.

1 hour ago, Soufwar said:

I didn’t think of it that way, thanks a lot for telling me what insomnia is. The interference I am talking about is from blue light, that’s what keeps you awake.

I always have my screens at 0% brightness, even during the day. :D 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Soufwar said:

I didn’t think of it that way, thanks a lot for telling me what insomnia is. The interference I am talking about is from blue light, that’s what keeps you awake. I like to visit PSNP and check the forums before bed so it would be night to have a night mode. As someone that uses screens a lot I would like to have a night more in everything, even PSNP. Now can you please share your opinion on the suggestion itself rather than the passive aggressiveness :) thanks 1f64f.png 

Well if you have insomnia you shouldn't be using electronics before bed anyways and especially not with the lights off in the room.

Try not using electronics a couple of hours before bed and instead try reading a book, exercising, go for a walk etc. 

As for your suggestion...I mean if Sly can implement it then I guess it would be a good idea, but there is more to keeping people awake than the light on a forum.

I suffered from Insomnia for years and got on average about 10 hours of sleep a week. I was going through a lot of personal stuff and it was the stress keeping me awake. I finally learned to curb a lot of that by switching jobs, dumping toxic friends and just trying to take better care of myself.

Anyways good luck with your insomnia I hope you find what is triggering it but in the meantime take steps to eliminate problems that could be causing it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

As an alternate thing...
If you're in the market for a new phone and having a Night mode would improve your quality of life, try the Google Pixel 2. It has it as an option without having to download any apps (and is a great phone overall) :) 

I have an iPhone 8 Plus so its fine, I turn on Invert Color mode at night! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soufwar said:

Hey, I am typing this while on my phone at 3:31am, my phone is still on the lowest possible brightness but it’s still so bright it’s lighting up the room and kinda interfering with my sleep (blue light and whatever).

So I thought i’d ask our coding wizard Sly to please implement a night mode feature that would shuffle the whole website to look like visual studio when you turn on dark screen mode (kind of a coder’s dark light). 

I know this is a minor complaint and just a quality of life feature but I would to see it happen (and if it’s buried somewhere under a mountain of settings I am sorry I didn’t know). 

If someone asked for this before and it can’t be done or it’s not a good idea then sorry for asking again. 

A suggestion would be like Reddit, the app has a night light mode that’s very cool, something like that here would be awesome, thanks. 

You must be a fellow developer, because not many people outside of the IT realm would use VS as an example of Night Mode.

I actually think this would be an awesome addition. Maybe have it be a user option though, like VS does, so that people who may not want it can choose to opt out of Night Mode.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Someone suggested apps for doing this.

I believe Dark Reader for Chrome was one of those.

Yeah I've been using Dark Reader for the past few weeks, it's awesome. Not sure if something like that is available for a mobile, but anybody using PC should use it if they're looking for a night mode. Everything looks better imo

Probably the best suggestion I've seen. I have never understood the internet's obsession with bright white backgrounds. Just like I don't get why every piece of electronic equipment you plug into the wall needs an LED to let you know if it's receiving power. I end up going to bed at night with all these flashing lights in my face letting me know everything is turned off. It makes me want to slap the face of every person who designs this stuff.

But really... Dark Reader is great. You get a black background that is easy on the eyes, and a ton of customization options. I can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1