PS3 Turning off when I turn it on

lloydelric

My ps3 was working fine this morning, then while i was playing, it just stopped and shut off on its own. I turned it back on and it did worked for a bit, then froze and shut off on the home screen. now it will turn on but turn off after about 10 seconds. I have left it unplugged all day but when i tried it, nothing changed. I even tried it with my ps4 power source, but nothing. What should I do?

I've had this issue here too with the Phat PS3 (the first PS3 model with the Spider-man 3 font). It started happening to me sometime in the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2015 IIRC. I've since bought a pre-owned PS3 Slim model just a little over a year ago as of this post.

Edited by Skeptical69

37 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

RIP. I had this happen on my first PS3. You turn it on, it beeps a few times, then shuts down. Red Light of Death I think it's called.

Mine dosen't beep, just turns off

25 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

What model? Probably dead though.

CECH 4201C

41 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

there's a chance it is overheating and shutting itself off to protect the internals

I hope its this

Ok so you have the super slim later model. It doesnt normally have overheating issues. It might be the power supply. Does it do it on a cold start ? If so its definitely possible too the power supply module going out. 

1 hour ago, Siziolvec said:

I also had this happen exact same way. Tried everything. Ended up just getting a new one.

Yeah, me too. Mine was the super slim and only 2 years old with very minimal use. I was a 360 gamer for many years and never had the red ring of death on either of my 360s. They both still work just fine. Now I have absolutely no faith in my new PS3 and every time I play it I wonder if it's going to be the day this one dies too :S

Sounds similar to the problem I had with my old Slim PS3 back in 2014. 

After 4 years I started having issues with the disc drive, the laser was going bad...I would clean the laser and it'd work for a little bit then fail again, and would fail faster and faster every time I cleaned it until it finally died on me. So I was without a PS3 for a couple months until I could get some funds to buy a new disc drive. I did so, it arrived, I installed it...it worked for about 20 minutes until my PS3 shut itself off...after that it would turn on, then back off again after about 10 seconds...I tried several times to get it to work when finally I got the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death). Turned out, I ended up taking the PS3 apart to check it out...and there it was...the thermal paste over the CPU and GPU was eroded, it felt like chips of paint it was so worn down. I ended up getting a Super Slim PS3 after that (which I still have). I still have my broken Slim which I could probably fix with some new thermal paste, but I moved on.

Point is, while I've never experienced failure with a Super Slim...it sounds like your PS3 is/has headed down the same path.  

2 hours ago, Siziolvec said:

that was the RROD trick back in the day. Wrap in a towel and put for 10 seconds in the microwave

Microwave? No thanks. 

The typical "X Clamp fix" worked 85% of the time in my experience. Only once did I have to reflow the solder on a 360. 

19 hours ago, MMDE said:

Maybe you're turning something else on too, that turns the PS3 off. Have you tried figuring out what it's into?

the only thing i touched the power button , it just turns off on its own. I getting someone to look at it this weekend so hopefully i figure it out soon