What happened to these X games?

I was so pumped to get the Legacy Collection. I had only ever played the first 3 as a kid and really was looking forward to some nostalgia. I played through the first 3, and then..... I couldn't believe it, and still can't but the games are getting worse with each successive title.

X4 they introduced stuff like the stupid bike (im aware this was in X2 but barely, and nowhere near as crazy), and less energy tanks, READY?????

X5 had multiple endings, RNG, more of the stupid bike, not getting to use your armor until you have all the parts. and Quick man lasers.

Surely it can't get worse than X5...

But then I start to play X6.

I have tried i think 4 stages so far, and every stage has had a ridiculous health draining mechanism that kills you if you stand still. There is almost no resting time anywhere, and some spots where you CAN rest, you get randomly attacked by Zero.

Amazon --> Unlimited mantis respawns that wreck you if you stop for even a moment

North Pole - So far cant even get past the first slope. Non stop avalanches and if you stop for even a second non stop Zero damage

Temple - Acid rain, and every hole you jump over there's a timed enemy shot that if it hits you, you fall and die. So now I have to get hit on purpose before trying to make any jumps

Laser - Unlimited random bug spawns that get in the way constantly

Museum - One million soul sucking octupus spawns that seem endless

Like... do people actually enjoy this game?

Is X7 even worse??

Edited by phoenix_shade
I got some things wrong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_shade said:

I was so pumped to get the Legacy Collection. I had only ever played the first 3 as a kid and really was looking forward to some nostalgia. I played through the first 3, and then..... I couldn't believe it, and still can't but the games are getting worse with each successive title.

X4 they introduced stuff like the stupid bike, less energy tanks, and not getting to use your armor until you have all the parts.

X5 had multiple endings, RNG, more of the stupid bike, and Quick man lasers.

Surely it can't get worse than X5...

But then I start to play X6.

I have tried i think 4 stages so far, and every stage has had a ridiculous health draining mechanism that kills you if you stand still. There is almost no resting time anywhere, and some spots where you CAN rest, you get randomly attacked by Zero.

Amazon --> Unlimited mantis respawns that wreck you if you stop for even a moment

North Pole - So far cant even get past the first slope. Non stop avalanches and if you stop for even a second non stop Zero damage

Temple - Acid rain, and every hole you jump over there's a timed enemy shot that if it hits you, you fall and die. So now I have to get hit on purpose before trying to make any jumps

Laser - Unlimited random bug spawns that get in the way constantly

Museum - One million soul sucking octupus spawns that seem endless

Like... do people actually enjoy this game?

Is X7 even worse??

The bike was introduced in X2.

You can use the armor parts as soon as you get them in X4, it's X5 where you have to start collecting all of the data before you can wear it.

X7 is possibly one of the worst games ever made

• Like 3

When I was a kid, I managed to rescue all reploids and get all the power ups in X6.

If a kid without skills but with determination could, it should be a breeze for you.

We can agree in one thing: X7 is a fucking disaster, but everything else is beautiful.

You just need time to get used to it. I see a lot of complains for little things.

If Megaman X Corrupted is ever released, do not even try to play it, because is 10 times harder than official games.

1 hour ago, phoenix_shade said:

and not getting to use your armor until you have all the parts.

dude, you even read?

Spoiler

iuSBnWb.jpg

OnpgoTP.jpg

uT9enjU.jpg

S3NOLAK.jpg

e4tiIdy.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katt said:

When I was a kid, I managed to rescue all reploids and get all the power ups in X6.

If a kid without skills but with determination could, it should be a breeze for you.

We can agree in one thing: X7 is a fucking disaster, but everything else is beautiful.

You just need time to get used to it. I see a lot of complains for little things.

If Megaman X Corrupted is ever released, do not even try to play it, because is 10 times harder than official games.

dude, you even read?

Hide contents

iuSBnWb.jpg

OnpgoTP.jpg

uT9enjU.jpg

S3NOLAK.jpg

e4tiIdy.jpg

Yes? I only commented that this was introduced in X4 which I clearly do not like. But I guess that was X5, alright, its all a blur already. And yeah i remember the bike in X2 but it was nowhere near as ridiculous haha

Also there are a million examples of how games as a kid seemed easier than when they showed up in modern times. The games are not perfect clones of each other. There is input lag and other such things. Remember jumping rope 1000 times in FF9 as a kid? me too! Did I have trouble getting to 200 jumps as an adult? You betcha!

Edited by phoenix_shade

9 hours ago, phoenix_shade said:

Yes? I only commented that this was introduced in X4 which I clearly do not like. But I guess that was X5, alright, its all a blur already. And yeah i remember the bike in X2 but it was nowhere near as ridiculous haha

Also there are a million examples of how games as a kid seemed easier than when they showed up in modern times. The games are not perfect clones of each other. There is input lag and other such things. Remember jumping rope 1000 times in FF9 as a kid? me too! Did I have trouble getting to 200 jumps as an adult? You betcha!

It was NOT introduced in X4, you equip the armor as soon as you get it from the capsule, X5 was the first to introduce it.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 5:51 PM, loxagonx said:

X6 have a good Story, but unfair Levels and Gate is maybe the unfairest Boss in all MM-Games!

But MMX7 is more awful into Design and have much unfair bosses (the One of big Robo and Red!!)

It's true, I do like the story in X6. Not looking forward to fighting Gate then lol. Just got done with stupid High Max lol

• 2 years later...

I didn't even fight Gate legit, just equipped the i frames and life recovery item (no clue where exactly you get these from but the life recovery basically gives you an extra guaranteed E tank a stage), set the fire button to rapid fire, let him sit right beside me and held down the fire button, from there he'll damage you occasionally which gives you a good 5-10 seconds of i frames which slows your damage taken, he'll throw out orbs and you'll clear them pretty quickly until he gets to about 50% and throws out the damaging orbs less often which is when you'll need the life recovery. His orbs won't destroy the platform you're on if he's right behind you.

Having never played the Playstation era games before, it's pretty obvious that they felt they had to keep adding gimmicks to stand out instead of good level design (X4 is alright, just a little unmemorable outside of Zero's movelist, and X5 isn't terrible but the time and item collecting mechanic is kind of confusing). X6 is really annoying, in addition to the deathtrap level design, whenever you want to try a character you haven't used and you can't even equip any items until you grind their hunter level up. I'm up to X7 now and I'm not looking forward to the reploid saving being necessary, I might do that on rookie mode if I can stomach replaying it, supposedly X8 is when they went back to basics but good lord this series went right off a cliff.