When to play dlc

CM_TiDe

Just starting this up again and am enjoying it a lot.  I wanted to buy the DLC and go for the 100%. My question is, is it better to download the dlc and do it early or wait until I Fininah the base game then do the dlc after.  I’m playing hardcore btw so it would prolly be easier after. But if it’s more efficient before than I don’t mind the challenge. 

17 minutes ago, CM_TiDe said:

Just starting this up again and am enjoying it a lot.  I wanted to buy the DLC and go for the 100%. My question is, is it better to download the dlc and do it early or wait until I Fininah the base game then do the dlc after.  I’m playing hardcore btw so it would prolly be easier after. But if it’s more efficient before than I don’t mind the challenge. 

When you are about to enter any dlc area, it tells you what is the optimal level for this particular one. I did them, when I was around that advised level except one (Old world blues I think) which I started right before finishing base game. 

Also remember there is no free roam after final quest and you can't go back to any of the dlc's you skipped (of course you can always load up saved game before finishing it and get on with dlc). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I did it all at the end. 

The only thing to remember is that there is a part in the DLC where you have to assassinate people so making sure you have a save file that can handle that helps :) 

Care to elaborate a little bit with a nice spoiler tag? Thinking of going for the 100% soon.

1 minute ago, Intresseklubben said:

Care to elaborate a little bit with a nice spoiler tag? Thinking of going for the 100% soon.

I will do one better. I will just link the Trophy Guide. Basically every trophy here requires you to kill someone and some of those people could be hard to get if you don't plan your game right. I know for myself I did all these trophies and just reloaded my game because otherwise you are kind of fucked.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/gunrunner-s-arsenal/126868-fallout-new-vegas-gunrunners-arsenal-trophy-guide-road-map.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Just to expand on this question, does installing the DLC cause more problems with the game? And is that reason enough to finish the main game first?

No, it doesn't. Installing them will only add their individual questlines in you pipboy, you can tackle them anytime you want and they don't interfere with main plot in any way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Start the dlc after you finally get to the lucky 38 and got done killing benny get going to the caesar's legion place and get it as a fast travel point and so on and done abit of the brotherhood stuff, then you can do dead money dlc along with honest hearts after, then after your done do a few things main story stuff with the people you like to side with along with side stuff then go to old world blues and once that is done do some more story stuff and before the big final mission then do lonesome road and then talk to Ulysses before leaving to go to the final battle/ last mission.

Level stats should be around level 10 or about 14 before going to vegas. Once you are level 15 or 16 you go to dead money and make sure you have about 50 or 70 on hacking and lockpicking while speech should be around 40 or 50 also int should be around 6 or 7. The rest is up to you along what is what. I know that some of the stat levels and so on is abit like am making you do them but it helps a lot when talking in the dlc to the others in there and wining some checks that can really help. But just know that level 100 of speech is needed for wining dean domino over and dog/god. But, it is up to you.

You can do a lot of stuff or do all the side stuff in the main game before doing dead money as it can help a lot also some luck can help a lot on winning a lot of the chips the dlc has so you can have near endless lots of stimpacks.

I disagree with Kanerkb. Do all the side quests and get to the DLC around 25-30. I did all the DLCs before I even did Ring-A-Ding. Check my profile (ok so there was a 5 year layoff) Still, by the time I finished all the pre-reqs and the 4 DLCs I hit 50, which make Normal/Hardcore easier.