I am a completionist, should I avoid this game?

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Avoid this game if you are a 100 percent completionist.

Why? What a stupid comment. 

Survival mode is actually a lot of fun. I kept playing it for a long time after I got all the trophies. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Survival mode is actually a lot of fun. I kept playing it for a long time after I got all the trophies. 

It’s a completely tacked on mode. Regular Uncharted multiplayer that asked you to try it out for the platinum was good enough. 

For Survival they ask you to partake in either microtransactions or boost with a few people for Crushing. Those last two trophies are ultra rare for a reason. 

I just don’t find it fun, so I’ll probably never earn the 100 percent in Uncharted 4.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It’s a completely tacked on mode. Regular Uncharted multiplayer that asked you to try it out for the platinum was good enough. 

For Survival they ask you to partake in either microtransactions or boost with a few people for Crushing. Those last two trophies are ultra rare for a reason. 

I just don’t find it fun, so I’ll probably never earn the 100 percent in Uncharted 4.

It was still a stupid comment though ?.

Ah well. We all like different things. I really enjoyed it. If you do ever decide to go for it I might even be willing to help out. 

7 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

UC2 matters because to know what is bad you must know what is good. UC2 did everything this franchise should be doing to the best of its ability. Focus primarily on gameplay, good stage design, dynamic set pieces that don't feel tacked on and compliment the gameplay.

Not everything. And the sequels have done this as well, just not as overall well, which I'll briefly come back to. While the combat is better in it than its predecessor (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune), Uncharted 3 improved upon it more with a better hand-to-hand combat system and the few-and-far-between but still present interactive environment damaging mechanic. U3 also has better characterization and story. The actual true definition of story, not its wide misuse in general conversation. If I recall correctly, the puzzles (and OST) are also superior. 

Now, a lot of Uncharted 2's "greatness" comes from how very lacking Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is and was. The game has its moments, but it's not as good as people like to claim it is. It's not a coincidence that despite four more whole AAA installments after U2, most people would—still—consider the very first sequel, U2, the best. A large part of that is because, again, UDF set the bar low.

I'm about to type up a giant paragraph discussing one single segment that appears once for a limited amount of time in each game. But it's because it reappears in every major installment that makes it relevant and a staple concept in the franchise. Uncharted 4 has a lot of issues, but one thing it did improve upon from U2 and U3 is the gameplay during the convoy chases. Then Uncharted: The Lost Legacy slightly improved upon that. It has a subpar start in U2 as just jumping from the back of a vehicle to another, with inability to hijack any of them, including the smaller ones such as the jeeps (U2, and motorcycles in U3), inability to shoot drivers through the window, etc. U3 didn't improve much but it still gives players more options than U2, such as more freedom in being able to choose which vehicles to board or not board and the ability to actually utilize the core shooting gameplay during the sequence without needing to be fixed standing/hanging on another vehicle (U2). U3 is less limited during its convoy chase than U2. I suppose this doesn't do much for U3, since convoy chases weren't recurring events throughout the campaigns in the individual games. Now, U4 may still not allow the ability to shoot drivers through windows or hijack them or the motorcycles, but it maintains the advancements U3 made plus allows the player to hijack the jeeps (which is no surprise because of the new to the series driving sections that literally, exclusively uses jeeps), be invaded by other enemies while driving that you have to fend off (it's just mashing one button but it's still something more than previously), ram enemies on motorcycles, and a couple of things with the grappling hook. UTTL copies what U4 did, but it combines it with the U2 train sequence. With its overall execution, it's the best convoy sequence in the entire series. The convoy sections is one department in the series that has progressively gotten better each installment.

I'd say another good thing U4 did was add the actual driving (wheels) system itself, something severely lacking within the trilogy—even though the very first game has a driving segment but that is controlled by a supporting character instead while the main character mans the turret on the back of it—especially given the developers past consistency with driving segments in every other IP prior. It's an especially good addition, now, in the installment with the most amount of the dull climbing, and the decent combat sections, the game wants the player to do. It's an essential element to the variety.

If every paragraph but the second are filler or insufficient, I double-back on the second one: U2 is as great as it is, because UDF isn't that great to begin with.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MATT_THE_FLY said:

Hot take - you're a pussy if you avoid this game for the sake of completionist tendencies. Anyways, if it really bothers people that badly, they can just play it on an alt account to experience one of the best games the ps4 has to offer.

And a great trophie hunter seek sometimes the rarest trophies. You can’t call yourself a trophy hunter if it’s only to get 100% easy trophy and 0% rare..

But most of all you need to enjoy the game. If you play only for the trophies, yea I agree it can be tough and painful. 

But if you like the gameplay and the franchise, it gives you an other chance to to experience for a last time the online of uncharted serie.

because soon or later, UC4 multiplayer will cease to exist and will be a vague memory like UC2 and UC3 ?? 

Edited by bunshing
  • Like 1

On 17.5.2020 at 6:56 PM, BB-BakkerJ said:

The comment basically says that completionists should avoid the trophy. As a completionist currently stuck in this crap survival mode I fully support the claim that this is not worth bothering with for anyone, unless you complete games on principle, but even then its obviously a shitty experience. Survival is a poorly balanced mode on hard and crushing, requiring a LOT of stupid and monotonous grinding to get levels and especially weapons up high enough to even attempt crushing, it needs 3 people who are good at the mode and a lot of luck to 3 star some of the maps from what I can tell and what others told me about it. I have not seen a grind as mind numbingly dull since Orcs Must Die Unchained, doing the same 2 maps over and over again several dozen times just for the weapon upgrades required, then more grind for lvl 50. The grind has been purposely made as shitty as possible because they want to strong arm you into spending real money to get the better weapons and abilities, with this shitty lootbox system turning your free progression of unlocking stuff into a game of roulette and only giving you 1 chest every 5-6 days because they are so stringy with their ingame currency you can get from the daily challenge. The multiplayer is also unstable to boot, I have occasional disconnects that never occured in any other game before and it messed up both the grinding and later the actual attempts on crushing with a sometimes alarming frequency, a google search told me this a somewhat common problem.

The 3 star times are a bad joke given how tanky many of the countless enemies are, waves like treasure hunts turn this into such a drag, the sheer spam of heavily armored enemies in the later maps comes off as really cheap. You need to have a dedicated 3 man team because Naughty Dog spent the last few years nerfing almost any valid solo strategy into the ground, the practice, patience and luck you'd need to make it solo for 1 silver is off the charts. Playing with randoms is a wasted effort, as some of them can't even follow the easiest instructions like using pistols and melee only in a wave.

So yes, completionists might want to avoid this game, that much goes for any game of the series, horrible trophy lists to turn a decent singleplayer experience into a goddamn mess.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nighcisama said:

The comment basically says that completionists should avoid the trophy. As a completionist currently stuck in this crap survival mode I fully support the claim that this is not worth bothering with for anyone, unless you complete games on principle, but even then its obviously a shitty experience. Survival is a poorly balanced mode on hard and crushing, requiring a LOT of stupid and monotonous grinding to get levels and especially weapons up high enough to even attempt crushing, it needs 3 people who are good at the mode and a lot of luck to 3 star some of the maps from what I can tell and what others told me about it. I have not seen a grind as mind numbingly dull since Orcs Must Die Unchained, doing the same 2 maps over and over again several dozen times just for the weapon upgrades required, then more grind for lvl 50. The grind has been purposely made as shitty as possible because they want to strong arm you into spending real money to get the better weapons and abilities, with this shitty lootbox system turning your free progression of unlocking stuff into a game of roulette and only giving you 1 chest every 5-6 days because they are so stringy with their ingame currency you can get from the daily challenge. The multiplayer is also unstable to boot, I have occasional disconnects that never occured in any other game before and it messed up both the grinding and later the actual attempts on crushing with a sometimes alarming frequency, a google search told me this a somewhat common problem.

The 3 star times are a bad joke given how tanky many of the countless enemies are, waves like treasure hunts turn this into such a drag, the sheer spam of heavily armored enemies in the later maps comes off as really cheap. You need to have a dedicated 3 man team because Naughty Dog spent the last few years nerfing almost any valid solo strategy into the ground, the practice, patience and luck you'd need to make it solo for 1 silver is off the charts. Playing with randoms is a wasted effort, as some of them can't even follow the easiest instructions like using pistols and melee only in a wave.

So yes, completionists might want to avoid this game, that much goes for any game of the series, horrible trophy lists to turn a decent singleplayer experience into a goddamn mess.

Well. We strongly disagree here than.

I love the Uncharted series and I think everybody should try it. Nobody should avoid these games. Especially if someone might think this is too hard, because it’s not. But I’ve seen you ranting about Uncharted before so maybe these games aren’t for you.

You know this topic was about difficulty right? Not about if the games are fun. Which ofcourse they totally are ?.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Well. We strongly disagree here than.

I love the Uncharted series and I think everybody should try it. Nobody should avoid these games. Especially if someone might think this is too hard, because it’s not. But I’ve seen you ranting about Uncharted before so maybe these games aren’t for you.

We indeed disagree.

You have played one of these games on brutal difficulty, I have played 3 of them on brutal, thats quite the difference in enjoyment given how shitty these difficulties are and that mode is one of the reasons I warn completionists from playing this series, its frustrating. I can guarantee you that I would have ranted a hell of a lot less and liked the series more if it was not for the brutal difficulty modes, and calling them not hard is just dishonest given that you have to trial and error your way through these messes while dying over and over again. And yeah it is not really for me, way too much shooting and little else, crappy bossfights and questionable balance for the highest difficulty, that overshadows a lot of the good this series does in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

You know this topic was about difficulty right? Not about if the games are fun. Which ofcourse they totally are 1f601.png.

Wrong, sorry. This topic title asks whether a completionist should avoid this game or not, and the opening post specifically asked about whether there are trophies that are, and I quote: "going to drive me insane to the point of wishing I never started the game" end of quote. This was not specifically about difficulty, and to that question I give a clear yes, because I feel how my patience is tested by this game at this exact moment. The op stated he likes challenging trophies, but wanted to ask about trophies that make people mad, and oh boy does that one silver make people mad, as evidenced by its laughably low completion rate even when compared to the atrocious brutal difficulty modes. It is not just difficult, it is also hidden behind a massive grind, microtransactions, required teamplay and somewhat artificial difficulty that demands you to get lucky on top of being skilled, all these things factor in and people should be aware of them so they can make a decision.

Now it is lucky for you that you think the survival mode is amazing, more power to you, but looking at the completion rate I kinda doubt most people share that opinion, if they like it then they do not like it enough to finish it. Whether a completionist wants to skip the game because of that is their own decision, I did not let it stop me from playing one of the bigger exclusives of the current generation, but then again there are very few trophy lists shitty enough or difficult enough to stop me from playing a game, but not every completionist thinks like that, and currently I envy those who avoided this game or played it on another account.

Edit: I just checked and saw that you completed this over 3 years ago. I have read countless times that it has gotten a lot harder and much more unforgiving since then due to patches, so who knows if you'd still enjoy these 3 star crushing runs today.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

There are people who completed it solo, so it's kind of a weak excuse to avoid the games, because they are too hard. I mean, you shouldnt avoid games you want to play in the first place.

I did the trophies shortly after the infamous patch(es) got released, which nerved one of the totems. Said totem slowed down the bosses and made it freaking easy to kill them quickly. Now the bosses become invincible after a certain amount of damage is dealt and you have to wait a bit (I think they teleport away, but I am not sure about that anymore).

Yes, it sucks to do it with randoms, I probably spent a few dozen hours on level 10 til I got decent players + the first boss glitched and got insta-killed by a grenade launcher or sth.

Yes, you could pay for better items/weapons, but you could also grind a bit and get good stuff for free. Its definitely not pay-to-win, just pay-to-make-it-easier maybe.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 4

Edit: I just checked and saw that you completed this over 3 years ago. I have read countless times that it has gotten a lot harder and much more unforgiving since then due to patches, so who knows if you'd still enjoy these 3 star crushing runs today.

There are patches that ND put to make boss fights impossible if you don’t purchase items indeed, I agree. But if you play 10 minutes each 3 days to get 1500 relics, you get everything after 2 months max. All challenges are easily doable on Train wreck. 10 mins include lunching the game and exit. We are talking about completionist anyway, not speedrun.

About bosses fights, there are glitch that can be easily done (stair glitch, but the most easiest : the breack neck glitch). There are also a vast community that helps people for the 3 stars. I actually helped more than 10 people, my way to say thanks to that community.

And maps without boss fight, I have done 1 min under the time limit for 3 stars. Actually, the 3 stars on hard and normal is harder because the time limit is less than crushing. So only stage 4, 8 and 10 might pose a problem and need to perform the glitch. 

Also, if you only play Train Wreck on hard on solo, you can be level 50 in 3-4h (getting 60’000 xp each 5 min) so this is not long at all. Level up to level 80 in uncharted 2, that was a grind man. Here in UC4 it’s a joke

Edited by bunshing
  • Like 1

You’re just speculating now.

I remember when I completed this they were already busy patching a lot of stuff and make it indeed a little bit harder. The only exploit I used was in stage 8, were you could line up the warlord in such a way you could push him against a wall and beat him to death. Which is exactly what I did ?. Yeah, that was patched a little bit later. But later they found an exploit were you could just let him fall through the map, making the hardest stage really easy. I don’t know if that still exists or about the current state of the game. I highly doubt it became much harder.

13 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Uncharted survival is very easy. If you need help, add me.

18 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

For anyone suggesting to avoid this game because of its difficulty, just remember that these trophies are still very possible even solo so maybe if you actually put in the time to level up your weapons and thoroughly practice the stages, you can achieve the trophies.

I would like you to demonstrate this for us please. It sounds like you have to pay a lot of money into the multiplayer/survival mode to stand a chance, or you have to be extremely skilled. Something that I don't exactly have because truthfully I'm not that good at third person shooters.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I would like you to demonstrate this for us please. It sounds like you have to pay a lot of money into the multiplayer/survival mode to stand a chance, or you have to be extremely skilled. Something that I don't exactly have because truthfully I'm not that good at third person shooters.

I'm not saying that YOU should attempt it solo, im just saying that it's still achievable even for people that don't have a team. There's plenty of strategies and exploits by now as well to help complete the 3 star requirements. I cant remember very well, but there was even a glitch I used for one of the stages where you actually go through the wall and shoot the enemies without them being able to see you.

I'm sure you have friends who play the game as well and I can guarantee if you actually put together a team of decent players and go for the trophies you'll get them eventually. All you seem to do is complain.

Edited by CrimsonMercury

17 minutes ago, CrimsonMercury said:

I'm not saying that YOU should attempt it solo, im just saying that it's still achievable even for people that don't have a team. There's plenty of strategies and exploits by now as well to help complete the 3 star requirements. I cant remember very well, but there was even a glitch I used for one of the stages where you actually go through the wall and shoot the enemies without them being able to see you.

I'm aware it's far from impossible, it's just that it's easier with a team.

It's very unlikely I will get these last two trophies (because I didn't like Survival), but supposing I do, maybe one can have an advantage buying into the microtransactions if I were to do it solo. With a team, that is probably unnecessary.

Don’t get fooled, this mode is not easy but is is still doable with help. Without help you need to be a pro and invest a lot of time or use microtransactions. The bosses are really hard but easy with glitches. With the right abilities you can use these glitches. The needed abilities you get through the lootboxes.

Also the community is hit and miss. Some are truly willing to help and others are elitist that offer help but let you down.

• Like 2

Cant you just hide the games trophies you havent completed yet? I feel like its borderline impossible to know in advance if something is gonna grind your gears the wrong way without giving it a shot or watching the whole walkthrough on youtube before playing...which I find pretty counterproductive for your enjoyment of the game. But of well. My advice would be to complete those other games you havent played through yet cause most likely your gonna keep on piling unfinished games in the future too just like now and be in some kind of denial about it lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, my updated opinion on this game is that it is a must avoid for completionists. After many hours with two other people we have come to the conclusion that this survival mode is the shittiest, most unfun, most unfair, and most inconsistent piece of wank mode any of us have ever had the displeasure to witness when it comes to playing it on crushing. You are a completionist? Either avoid it entirely or look for two people who have played nothing else for like 200 hours beforehand so they can drag you through, otherwise you are looking upon dozens and dozens of hours filled with nothing but rage and frustration, and thats after a long boring grind for weapon upgrades.

Whatever semi fun this mode was years ago is dead, patched to shit with 1.33 and its about as unmanagable as it can get. You need a metric shitton of luck to get 3 stars because the timings are completely unreasonable for the most part, you get everything thrown at you in the kitchen sink, with a massive number of super tanky enemies being temporarily invincible while teleporting behind you and kicking you in the face so you lose two thirds of your life, or they just rush your shitty indefensible position you are tasked to hold in Siege, dropping shitty super slow circles on you even if you survive the rush that consists of 6 armored enemies who need a full magazin each and who casually dodge or zip away if you shoot at them.

Not even the glitches are anywhere close to being consistent, we tried 3 different glitches and the best we have is the stairs glitch for the warlords, works in like 1/10 on stage 6 if its a blessed run and the enemies don't clogg up the staircases, you'd have to attempt this many times and even then it only works for the host, as the others do not get the stars for it, so you'd have to get incredibly lucky 3 times to get one of these annoying later warlord stages done. One of my team is basically noping out, me and the other dude still want to get it done but we deem it impossible for us to do unless we put in way over 100 hours for these luckiest of runs that have 0 wave fails and the warlord glitch work on the first or second attempt. Stage 10 seems completely out of the question with 2 warlords, 90% of enemies being armored and even the assassins being heavy armored while they charge at you with mad speed. This seems not worth it honestly, fuck this studio for implementing this utter bullcrap, the amount of rage I have seen while googling peoples opinions on this game is off the charts, and for very good reason, let no one trick you into playing this with the statements that its a reasonable task, it is pure aids.

Unless theres more cheats or trick we are unaware of, I'd say anyone saying this is easy must be delusional, and I would be genuinely afraid of someone whos mind considers this current day mode to be fun, I'd be more comfortable dining with Hannibal Lecter than to meet such a person?

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Not even the glitches are anywhere close to being consistent, we tried 3 different glitches and the best we have is the stairs glitch for the warlords, works in like 1/10 on stage 6 if its a blessed run and the enemies don't clogg up the staircases, you'd have to attempt this many times and even then it only works for the host, as the others do not get the stars for it, so you'd have to get incredibly lucky 3 times to get one of these annoying later warlord stages done. One of my team is basically noping out, me and the other dude still want to get it done but we deem it impossible for us to do unless we put in way over 100 hours for these luckiest of runs that have 0 wave fails and the warlord glitch work on the first or second attempt. Stage 10 seems completely out of the question with 2 warlords, 90% of enemies being armored and even the assassins being heavy armored while they charge at you with mad speed. This seems not worth it honestly, fuck this studio for implementing this utter bullcrap, the amount of rage I have seen while googling peoples opinions on this game is off the charts, and for very good reason, let no one trick you into playing this with the statements that its a reasonable task, it is pure aids.

for the stair glitch, working only for the host, i read somewhere that the non-hosts must die after you killed the warlord and buy anything at the arsenal. It should work afterwards.

I did not try it, so  i can't confirm. But it's something to try