Shenmue Trophy Thoughts

DragonSpear2462

2 minutes ago, OhDearGodRun said:

So there are missables? I've never played Shenmue before.

Check the link from captain. There are missables. I just need a list in chronological order and it'll be good.

Edit: Yeah they're in order, just follow that guide posted earlier and you'll be good.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I wish all trophy lists were like this. It's basically just do everything in the game. No nonsense trophies for doing arbitrary things, or doing something X number of times. Just beat the game and do all the sidequests.

If all trophy lists were like this, then trophy hunting wouldn’t be nearly as popular as it is and sites like this most likely would not even exist.  In my opinion, basic trophy lists take away the sense of pride and accomplishment upon completing them, not to mention the fact that just about everyone would have more platinums, thereby decreasing trophy rarity by a large margin.

• Like 3

Ah mamma mia...one of the series I regret missing out on - so glad they brought first two games to PS4.

That being said, the artwork on these trophies is just...not the most beautiful one ? At least both trophy list images are quite colorful and nice.

3 minutes ago, SupermanikSol said:

If all trophy lists were like this, then trophy hunting wouldn’t be nearly as popular as it is and sites like this most likely would not even exist.  In my opinion, basic trophy lists take away the sense of pride and accomplishment upon completing them, not to mention the fact that just about everyone would have more platinums, thereby decreasing trophy rarity by a large margin.

Image result for both both gif

Edited by Skadoki
gifs for days baby
  • Like 2

I find it kind of disappointing that both the Shenmues are lacking that killer edge when it comes to more completionist trophies, although that comes from me having replayed these games so many times over the years. That and it's the same company who puts out Yakuza, which has some mountainous platinums to earn! Maybe it's for the best though that they're simple and straight forward.

I'm surprised they didn't do something like have one for beating Chai at the arcade or a full 100% toy completion run, and glad they didn't do something like fully master all the moves in Shenmue 1. I really like Big Spender though, a great way to lamp shade how just about everyone acts when they replay Shenmue 2, so that's a good trophy. Icons are a little bland but the list icons are gorgeous.

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I wish all trophy lists were like this. It's basically just do everything in the game. No nonsense trophies for doing arbitrary things, or doing something X number of times. Just beat the game and do all the sidequests.

I too would like to see more lists that just require 100 percenting the game but this isn't one of them with all the missables.

Anyway, still unsure if I'm going to get this collection at launch. Might just finish up what I have already going before Dragon Quest XI.

Edited by Killbomb

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Yeah no, that's not true at all. I can guarantee trophy hunting would be FAR more popular. People already will complete games that just require you to do everything, but aren't willing to do the nonsense trophies. There's pretty obvious proof of this too. Look at Horizon Zero Dawn or Bloodborne. Both lists are essentially just beat the game and do all of the things. The objective based trophies just come naturally by doing those things. Despite HZD taking 40ish hours, the plat has a rarity of 34%. That's incredibly high. And despite Bloodborne being a fairly difficult game, it has a rarity of 22%. If every trophy list were like those, then far more people would go for plats.

Also, you can't really argue popularity and rarity together. It just doesn't make any sense, because of course as something becomes more popular, it will become less rare. That's essentially what popular means. More people are doing it. Personally, I would rather have a larger community, and more enjoyable plats than rarer ones. It's great that you find a sense of accomplishment in doing the arbitrary things or the same thing X number of times, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it means that everyone else does too, or that trophy hunting is somehow more popular because of it. It's simply not. This is a small site in the grand scheme of all things gaming. There's currently only 156 actual members on the forums right now, and only 239 guests. The record for most people online was only 583. That's nothing compared the millions of people that own PS4s. This is even one of, if not THE, biggest and most active trophy hunting sites out there. Trophy hunting is a niche hobby, and it would lose nothing by making lists a completionists checklist instead of throwing in arbitrary objective or grinding trophies.

in my opinion, horizion would be a game where you do have to go out of your way to get the plat (even if it's not that hard to do so). I sure as shit am not going around looking for collectibles for fun. basically you have to beat the game, but go a little out of your way too, a decent balance.

2 hours ago, Malice_Mizer said:

I find it kind of disappointing that both the Shenmues are lacking that killer edge when it comes to more completionist trophies, although that comes from me having replayed these games so many times over the years. That and it's the same company who puts out Yakuza, which has some mountainous platinums to earn! Maybe it's for the best though that they're simple and straight forward.

I'm surprised they didn't do something like have one for beating Chai at the arcade or a full 100% toy completion run, and glad they didn't do something like fully master all the moves in Shenmue 1. I really like Big Spender though, a great way to lamp shade how just about everyone acts when they replay Shenmue 2, so that's a good trophy. Icons are a little bland but the list icons are gorgeous.

All the people complaining about simplistic trophy tiles/requirements have no idea about the bullet they've dodged in not having to complete Space Harrier/Hang On.

I'm not even sure it's possible to collect all toy capsules. You need the money from the forklift job to buy toys at a reasonable rate and even if you use the exploit of being able to stay in the job indefinitely, you're still severely pushed for time to get it all done before arriving at the "bad ending".

As for Big Spender, it will be interesting to see if they allow the save transfer feature like on the Dreamcast versions. You can obviously come off the boat with substantially more money that way, and you only have a very small window to spend it before the bag theft scene.

3 hours ago, Billy_Bonka_ said:

As for Big Spender, it will be interesting to see if they allow the save transfer feature like on the Dreamcast versions. You can obviously come off the boat with substantially more money that way, and you only have a very small window to spend it before the bag theft scene.

Save transfer has been confirmed in pre-release news, but would love to hear from someone who has the collection in hand.

Edited by communistwookiee

There's two wrong trophies with that guide. All the others are right.

The take the mirror the antique store one. You need to take it to both of the antiques shops when you get it. You get a scene in each then the trophy.

Then the teach fuka-san one pit blow is completely wrong. You actually get it for sparring with him the day after the arcade boat ticket beat down.

Could be better could be worse imo. Pretty simple stuff assuming you’ve got a guide on hand. I wouldn’t have disliked a more demanding list but at least there’s less of a chance of getting burned out playing 1 & 2 back to back this way. I’d also have to agree that the trophy icons are somewhat underwhelming.

6 hours ago, TwiceOnSundays said:

There's two wrong trophies with that guide. All the others are right.

The take the mirror the antique store one. You need to take it to both of the antiques shops when you get it. You get a scene in each then the trophy.

Then the teach fuka-san one pit blow is completely wrong. You actually get it for sparring with him the day after the arcade boat ticket beat down.

can you be a bit more specific about this? I've done what it said in the guide and got nothing - then I loaded up before going to the arcade. I got beat up and Fuku took me home - the next day I sparred with him - no trophy. I then went and chased the guy from the travel agency, went home - slept - then wen to the dojo the next day - still nothing

Edited by turniplord