PS3 won't turn on

smas16

Hello everyone , I had my PS3 for almost 10 years and just about 2 months ago I bought my PS4 and never played PS3 anymore , today I was trying to turn it one but nothing happens , mine its the 60 gb version and the energy cable it's different from my friends PS3 cause they are recent . So I don't know if the cable is broked but it seems not or maybe it's the PS3 input that it's broked. Mine input has 3 pins and since my friends has only 2 I can't see what's wrong , if it's the energy cable I can just buy other , but if it's the input what can I do ? It's too expensive to fix it or it's not worth it due the price to fix?

8 minutes ago, smas16 said:

Hello everyone , I had my PS3 for almost 10 years and just about 2 months ago I bought my PS4 and never played PS3 anymore , today I was trying to turn it one but nothing happens , mine its the 60 gb version and the energy cable it's different from my friends PS3 cause they are recent . So I don't know if the cable is broked but it seems not or maybe it's the PS3 input that it's broked. Mine input has 3 pins and since my friends has only 2 I can't see what's wrong , if it's the energy cable I can just buy other , but if it's the input what can I do ? It's too expensive to fix it or it's not worth it due the price to fix?

If you have a pc, you can use the power cable from that to test it as they use the same type of cable

7 minutes ago, Lorajet said:

So with the PS3 plugged in, is the light on in the front of the unit?

No , no light at all 

7 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

If you have a pc, you can use the power cable from that to test it as they use the same type of cable

FwWMNj9.jpgthis is the cable

EDIT: you can see two different output pins but mine is from Europe the other is from china

Edited by smas16

19 minutes ago, smas16 said:

No , no light at all 

FwWMNj9.jpgthis is the cable

EDIT: you can see two different output pins but mine is from Europe the other is from china

Yeah and every desktop pc uses that type of cable, if you have a desktop pc, you can use it

Edited by SnowxSakura

40 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Yeah and every desktop pc uses that type of cable, if you have a desktop pc, you can use it

Didn't know that , I don't have a desktop PC but my friend does , I will try to use his cable and see what happens , but if it's not the cable do you think it's expensive to fix it ?

So it just chosed to not work one day? had you unplug it from outlet when you didnt play it or just left it there. Have you try a different outlet? Cable dont normally just die especially if you dont pull out and put in and repeat a lot. I could just be a pad power supply which would cost maybe 30$ to buy the parts. 60gb version as in the phat boy ps3? that may be harder to find parts though.

8 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

So it just chosed to not work one day? had you unplug it from outlet when you didnt play it or just left it there. Have you try a different outlet? Cable dont normally just die especially if you dont pull out and put in and repeat a lot. I could just be a pad power supply which would cost maybe 30$ to buy the parts. 60gb version as in the phat boy ps3? that may be harder to find parts though.

I put my PS3 in my bedroom and before it was in the living room , the PS3 was plugged in my bedroom everyday after I bought the PS4 , I don't know the name in English but I have a thing that makes you plug 5 cables at one outlet , and the outlet is kinda weird I think it's Chinese , don't know if that broked the cable because I never use that outlet , and yes I tried every outlet in my home and still don't work 

9 minutes ago, smas16 said:

I put my PS3 in my bedroom and before it was in the living room , the PS3 was plugged in my bedroom everyday after I bought the PS4 , I don't know the name in English but I have a thing that makes you plug 5 cables at one outlet , and the outlet is kinda weird I think it's Chinese , don't know if that broked the cable because I never use that outlet , and yes I tried every outlet in my home and still don't work 

A surge protector/power strip. Never go cheap on those, as they're meant to protect expensive electronics.

34 minutes ago, smas16 said:

Didn't know that , I don't have a desktop PC but my friend does , I will try to use his cable and see what happens , but if it's not the cable do you think it's expensive to fix it ?

If it's not the cable, I'm not sure without opening it up and looking at it

If you have a voltage regulator, you can use that to see if your ps3 is even receiving any power or not

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

Hi!

I will ask you this just in case because you say there is no red light in front.

Are you 100% sure that the power switch is ON? You might have turned it off by accident, make sure is  I   and not   O

Main-Power-switch.jpg

Yes I'm sure I even tried that now and still don't work but i don't know if you guys have a fat PS3 but I when I plug the cable in PS3 I can hear like the energy I don't know how to explain but once I plug in my PS3 some times I hear like electric shocks but since I had my ps3 it always do that even when o bought it , and now still does the same noise but the red light doenst turn on 

9 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

A surge protector/power strip. Never go cheap on those, as they're meant to protect expensive electronics.

If it's not the cable, I'm not sure without opening it up and looking at it

If you have a voltage regulator, you can use that to see if your ps3 is even receiving any power or not

Feels like the cable has energy but I don't know why it doesn't shows the red light 

2 hours ago, smas16 said:

but once I plug in my PS3 some times I hear like electric shocks

That! Is never a good sign. I suggest to be careful while you test it around. Your ps3 might not start but might start a fire instead....

Hate to say this but your fat ps3 finally died. 

2 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

That! Is never a good sign. I suggest to be careful while you test it around. Your ps3 might not start but might start a fire instead....

Hate to say this but your fat ps3 finally died. 

Sparks aren't uncommon when plugging something into a wall socket, you would need an actual power surge to fry an electronic

You probably have to take it apart.

My 10-year old fat PS3 stopped reading discs (long ago) Recently bought and replaced the laser. With it I thought I tried to remove the huge amount of dust which the PS3 collected with compressed air without opening it further. Problem was then that the dust got to wrong places and I couldn't receive the standby of the PS3 but could hear the electricity.

After cleaning the dust completely it worked again.

Well, I got now problems with overheating :/ Get some good thermalpaste and apply it properly after cleaning the old thermalpaste with >90% alcohol. I have to check my old PS3 later again.

So if you can't find an easy solution, clean the dust completely and replace the thermalpaste. Hope this will help you.

Edit:

PS3 working completely fine now. It kinda sorted it out itself. I only changed the location, also we don't have so hot days at the moment.

Edited by Dennis-nine-five

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Sparks aren't uncommon when plugging something into a wall socket, you would need an actual power surge to fry an electronic

I was thinking he meant sparks and electric shocks coming within his ps3 which could mean the connector inside could be loose or broken off the soldiered joints. Or some other issues causing power to run whacked.

3 hours ago, Dennis-nine-five said:

You probably have to take it apart.

My 10-year old fat PS3 stopped reading discs (long ago) Recently bought and replaced the laser. With it I thought I tried to remove the huge amount of dust which the PS3 collected with compressed air without opening it further. Problem was then that the dust got to wrong places and I couldn't receive the stanby of the PS3 but could hear the electricity.

After cleaning the dust completely it worked again.

Well, I got now problems with overheating :/ Get some good thermalpaste and apply it properly after cleaning the old thermalpaste with >90% alcohol. I have to check my old PS3 later again.

So if you can't find an easy solution, clean the dust completely and replace the thermalpaste. Hope this will help you.

Well first I will ask a friend if he has the same cable, if it doesn't work maybe I will do that