Why just remakes instead of new titles these days?

Lava_Yuki

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Two guys, John Romero and John Carmack made DOOM.

You are forgetting Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud, Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen, Dave Taylor and Bobby Prince. ;)

If you want new and interesting games you'll have to look at indies.

AAA big budget titles are too expensive to do something risky.

Edited by soniq
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Because money = profit.

Which is the reason why they make all games.

Spider-man looks interesting. 
God of War was new and interesting. 

RDR2 looks interesting. 

What you seem to mean is that indies are a great place to pretend you've found something new and interesting because of how small the fan base is.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, soniq said:

You are forgetting Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud, Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen, Dave Taylor and Bobby Prince. ;)

Yeah true, but some of them only had a small part in the game. Romero and Carmack made history, and most first person shooters owe their tribute to DOOM. 

The 2016 reboot has done very well, meaning that even after over 20 years the franchise still attracts a lot of people. 

1 hour ago, soniq said:

Look at my profile. I have plenty of indies on my account.

6 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

There's a fuckton of new titles releases basically every few minutes these days.

Take off your ''super cynical view at gaming'' glasses and smarten up.

Yeah, if you count the endless amounts of shovelware crap that is being released on Steam and the cheap cash ins that are starting to get put on the PS4. 

23 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Look at my profile. I have plenty of indies on my account.

This wasn't directed at you, but at the thread in general since OP was lamenting the fact that an increased number of remakes and ports are being released.

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

Yeah, if you count the endless amounts of shovelware crap that is being released on Steam and the cheap cash ins that are starting to get put on the PS4. 

Every gamer with an IQ higher than 10 should know that this is absolute horsecrap. There are more games, big and small, being released than ever. People who bitch about re-releases just desperately need something to bitch about.

I know you people won't ever yield, no matter the arguement, that's why it's so fucking frustrating to argue with you.

I play videogames for 3-4 hours a day on average. Hell, 10-14h on weekends and holidays if my time allows it. And I still just started the Yakuza series, each game takes 40-60 h and there are 7 of them, 2 of which got released only recently.

I still have to play Persona 5, The Witcher 3, Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn and like 200 more games. The last few weeks Dead Cells, Hollow Knight and Death's Gambit got released. These are just three 2D games I have my eyes on. You can play each of these games for 40h easily.

There are time sinks around every corner these days, but you poor poor people still don't got anything to play.

My backlog has over 150 new games on it, if you can't find anything to play for yourself it means that either your taste is garbage or gaming in general just isn't for you.

If you don't like re-releases, don't buy re-releases. This whole discussion is an exercise in bitching about easily avoidable stuff.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

Every gamer with an IQ higher than 10 should know that this is absolute horsecrap. 

Bullshit.

You know you can't get the good without the bad. And there's a lot of bad games on Steam, Xbox Marketplace, and the Playstation Store. Virtually any modern gaming website these days that sells games such as GOG.com has it's share of crap.

For every game that is a masterpiece like The Witcher 3, there are about 10 - 20 games that are cheap cash ins, or games so horrible they are considered shovelware. Assassins Creed Origins, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, I've played a little bit of them all and they all do good in what they do. And I have no doubt that lots of people will enjoy Spider-Man, just like they just did with Detroit: Become Human.

The point is, not everything new today is good. The video game industry is the biggest entertainment medium in the world, far eclipsing the movie and music industries. And when it's this big and mainstream, there's going to be a lot of crap.

• Like 1

Easier to use a game that's already been made, just upscale and port everything. I like the remakes and remasters for the nostalgia but wish there were more new titles.

I feel this exact same way when it comes to movies and Hollywood right now. A ton of remakes and modern day versions of stuff that's been out forever. I'm looking at you Disney!

• Like 1

I like the remakes and remasters for the nostalgia but wish there were more new titles.

Well that's just conjecture. There's no evidence that fewer remakes and remasters would lead to more new titles.

Actually the studios that make most of these remakes and remasters don't make new titles.

All of that is before getting to the real issue of if you like the new titles(no point of having more if you aren't enjoying them) or if some remakes and remasters are "new" to you if you never played the original release.

That's a lot of fret over when a game happened to first release without any consideration of personal enjoyment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Previously new titles would be released quite often for popular series, but these days I feel like it's just remakes. There hasn't been a new FF, Disgaea, Tales, Harvest Moon/Rune Factory etc in what feels life way longer than it used to be.

Disgaea have just decided to remake Disgaea 1, FF seem to be set on remastering almost all their titles (3, 4, 7, 10/10-2, 12, 9 now with trophies on PS4, Type 0....), Tales of Vesperia remake with no new title in site for 2 years, etc... Persona and Pokemon seem to keep going with new games instead of just remakes, but haven't been seeing much besides remakes from the rest in terms of the old big name RPGs and other popular series since 2016, without even so much as an announcement in sight. Pity FF Tactics has pretty died, I really liked those games. 

I wonder why this is, a financial issue or have they run out of ideas?

I welcome the remasters, really. It'd be nice to see more games be ported over to PS4 tbh, like the God of War and Prince of Persia series, or the Dead Space series. Games, that could really benefit from the PS4's hardware, whereas people who might want to play them don't have a PS3. I have a PS3, yes, but I hardly get on it as is, so it'd be nice to have my library come over to PS4, or at least make PS4 backwards compatible (lol). So really, one reasoning is to get the games to a wider audience, as people keep moving from PC/Xbox/Nintendo to PS4, and might not ever have played a PSOne/PS2/PS3/Vita before. Maybe if PS4 allowed for playing our PS3 library in the first place, there'd be more initiative for original games. I'm not understanding why you're taking offense to Final Fantasy being remastered for PS4. Not everybody might have a PSP/Vita or earlier console to play the entire collection with, so having them all on one console would be good for those players. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 9:28 AM, Spaz said:

Bullshit.

You know you can't get the good without the bad. And there's a lot of bad games on Steam, Xbox Marketplace, and the Playstation Store. Virtually any modern gaming website these days that sells games such as GOG.com has it's share of crap.

For every game that is a masterpiece like The Witcher 3, there are about 10 - 20 games that are cheap cash ins, or games so horrible they are considered shovelware. Assassins Creed Origins, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, I've played a little bit of them all and they all do good in what they do. And I have no doubt that lots of people will enjoy Spider-Man, just like they just did with Detroit: Become Human.

The point is, not everything new today is good. The video game industry is the biggest entertainment medium in the world, far eclipsing the movie and music industries. And when it's this big and mainstream, there's going to be a lot of crap.

I agree in that sense, I know a lot of new games as well that only disappointmented me (like FFXV) while many of the remakes were fantastic (like KH series and FF10 and 12). I do feel that the frequency of new games has been stretched from about every year to every 2-3 years for rpgs, but I assume it would take them longer to develop a game these days with better tech etc. and hence fill the gaps with remasters.

On 20/08/2018 at 9:14 AM, Paleblood said:

If you don't like re-releases, don't buy re-releases. This whole discussion is an exercise in bitching about easily avoidable stuff.

Um no... this whole discussion was not about that. I was just speculating a few of my favourite series having a lot of remakes and no announcements for new releases compared to previously , and then older remakes like of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and FF7 made me take more notice of it. I only intended to gain other people's opinions on the topic and quite enjoy the remakes actually. If you want to argue then I can't be bothered to waste my time doing that. 

On 20/08/2018 at 1:58 PM, TJ_Solo said:

Well that's just conjecture. There's no evidence that fewer remakes and remasters would lead to more new titles.

Actually the studios that make most of these remakes and remasters don't make new titles.

All of that is before getting to the real issue of if you like the new titles(no point of having more if you aren't enjoying them) or if some remakes and remasters are "new" to you if you never played the original release.

I was thinking it might be a case of games taking longer to develop for the higher tech consoles, so I assume remakes are used as fillers in between to compensate for the time required. I do enjoy remakes for the nostalgia as a "millenial" gamer, but am still hoping for a new FF sometime soon. 

On 19/08/2018 at 9:11 PM, itachi-destroyer said:

Remakes are easy to do and are a good way to occupy their fan base while they are working on new entries. As a Final Fantasy fan I'm glad to see remakes of old titles because it's always a pleasure to play them again/for the first time and with a trophy list on top of that because it keeps me busy until they release Final Fantasy XVI and it allows them a longer development time which can only be a good thing to have a polish title at release. 

I'm a patient gamer so I don't really mind waiting a lot of years for a title as long as it delivers so remakes/remasters are just the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Pokemon is far from being a good example though, each and every time they release remakes/remasters of titles that were released the year before (emerald, platinum, black and white 2, ultra sun and moon) AND remakes of older generation so if there is a series that is really abusing their fans with the remakes, its probably Pokemon. (And I say that as a Pokemon fan...)

Very much agree. I love FF too and really enjoyed all the remakes so far like 12 and 10, but kind of miss the excitement of a new FF, especially since the 13 series were released pretty close together and XVs hype had been going on a good number of years in the background. I guess I kind of miss having screenshots and trailers to chase for new characters and stories. Pokemon was a hit and miss, they really lost my interest after ORAS at which point I stopped and never played Sun/Moon. I thought they did a pretty good job of ORAS, and also liked XY, but I found carbon copy titles like black and white 2, ultra sun and moon to be pointless. 

On 20/08/2018 at 3:12 AM, Asvinia said:

1) Time: It requires a lot less time to create a remake or a remaster, meaning they can get it out the door quicker and make money.

2) Cost: It's a lot cheaper to create a remake or remaster, meaning more profit for less cost. This is because the game is already done for you. You don't have to spend months drawing up concept art and toying with new ideas. Even though the Crash Bandicoot remake was remade from the ground up, the game already existed. They didn't have to experiment or design anything new, even though they didn't have the original source code to work from. In remasters like Dark Souls, they just have to fix a few textures and maybe fix some bugs that perhaps by now the community has fixed for you for free.

3) Guaranteed Profit: There is guaranteed profit in these games. Old fans of the series who are led by nostalgia, and new fans of the series who haven't experienced it before.

4) Less Risk: Leading from the previous point, people openly ask for these remakes/remasters. People obviously want them, which ties into point 3 again. It is better financially to invest in something you know will sell, rather than take the risk of investing in a new IP and have it flop. This is also the reason games have become pretty homogeneous. They spent the 90s and the 00s figuring out what systems work and now only employ those systems. Ubisoft is a great example of this. Seems people love climbing to high things and looking at the distance. Back in the years I mentioned, you had all kinds of crazy nonsense that came out. What you see now is what sold best. And even now, they only remake what's 'safe'. I am yet to see a remake of Kingsley's Adventure or Kurushi Final. For obvious, financial reasons.

5) 'Suits': Games are typically funded by 'suits'. These are men in suits, sitting in a boardroom, discussing what games their kids or grandkids like to play and their monetization. They've probably not played a game before, or certainly not many. They don't know anything about games or how to make them, they do however, know how to make money.  These are the people with the funding but not the passion. This means they're not interested in risks or consumer support, only profit. A lot of the studios that published the stuff in the previous years have been bought out by these suits. The passion has gone in the corporate studios and they make what they're told to. Most of the passion now comes from small indie companies that don't currently pose a threat to the larger ones, the moment they do you can bet the suits will buy them out. This is why the indie scene is growing. These are the people with the passion but not the funding.

Makes sense in a financial respect. Remakes are cheaper, easier and there's no need to start from scratch with the character design, voice acting, music etc. and with a huge number of Millenial gamers including myself, the nostalgia factors is almost guaranteed! Especially with games like Crash, Spyro, FF10 and soon to come FF7 which were all major hits back in the PS1/2 days, making them pretty risk free. 

A part of me still is craving for even just an announcement of a new main series FF though, it just feels like ages and I always enjoyed the excitement of chasing new screenshots and trailers, which at present KH3 has been doing for me instead :)  

• Like 1

On 21.8.2018 at 10:16 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

A part of me still is craving for even just an announcement of a new main series FF though, it just feels like ages and I always enjoyed the excitement of chasing new screenshots and trailers, which at present KH3 has been doing for me instead :)  

I have to say, I'd be more excited if FF Tactics and FF VIII got a rerelease over a new FF title. I didn't like FF XII that much, and FF XIII is - in my opinion - the worst FF game I ever played. It is the first FF game that I only played through once instead of at least three times. FF XIII-2 and Lightning returns were slightly better, but far from what I consider a good FF game, and FF XV wasn't that good, either (albeit not really bad, either). Nowadays, I wouldn't expect much from a new FF game, which is sad because I liked FF very much.

I am also looking forward to Disgaea complete. Disgaea Hour of Darkness is one of my favorite games, I found it so hilarious when I played it ten years ago, and getting it with trophies is a really nice-to-have thing. I'll certainly have more fun replaying that then Disgaea 3 and 4, which I didn't even bother to plat yet. Someday, maybe.

I also wouldn't mind if some IPs got revived, and if remakes would help doing so, I'd be happy to buy some of them. Suikoden and Wing Commander, that would be series I'd like to play again, for example.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to my friend, the title itself is money! He likes much the old version/s & dislike some remakes. I respect him not because he's my friend, because he started in earlier generation(long dramatic story). For me, I agree they run out of ideas just like anime. There are new but some ideas & scenes are copied from the original version. I wouldn't say any title.

• Like 1

Remaking FF Type-0 for current gen was one of Square Enix's better choices.  When they brought it to the West, a lot of players who missed out would get their chance.  That international release was probably a big motivator for them.

Ys: Memories of Celceta is also worthy- XSEED's recent PC version would also look good on PS4.  Either they or even DotEmu (Ys Origin PS4 & Xbox One ports) should bring it over.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:33 AM, TJ_Solo said:

What you seem to mean is that indies are a great place to pretend you've found something new and interesting because of how small the fan base is.

LOL. Too true, too true (and this is coming from someone who has played a lot of indies).

As for the thread, time to move on. Yes, there remains a steady stream of remasters, remakes and regurgitations. But there are plenty of new games coming out, both from AAA as well as indie developers.

8 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

LOL. Too true, too true (and this is coming from someone who has played a lot of indies).

As for the thread, time to move on. Yes, there remains a steady stream of remasters, remakes and regurgitations. But there are plenty of new games coming out, both from AAA as well as indie developers.

I think the thread was more directed towards the TC being more out of touch with the new stuff rather than all the remakes. Although that remains true to this day.

My issue is the remakes/remasters have all been on games I don't give a crap about. The stuff I want to see, such as a Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas remaster, Resistance: Fall of Man remaster, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction remaster and Assassins Creed 1 remaster are nowhere to be seen.

I'm sure plenty of people out there want inFamous 1 and 2 remastered, as well as the entire Dead Space series and initial Mass Effect trilogy since they all have to be played on the Playstation 3, unless you're streaming with Playstation Now.

Then there's some older stuff from the Playstation 2 generation I want to see revived or at the least, being remastered/remade in some fashion. Tony Hawk's Underground for instance, played the shit out of that game in the early - mid 2000s and it's a shame none of those games are being considered. We got the shitty Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 game but that is barely anything worth noting.

Plenty of Playstation 2 games that were good and could use a much needed remaster for this generation.

Edited by Spaz

Humanity can't let go of the past. While I did at one time also hate the remasters I can kinda get behind them now. There have been ports released not to long ago of games I had always wanted to play as a child but never got to due to not having any money and my parents would only buy me games occasionally, understandably. Now though with my own apartment and job I have been able to play games such as Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, and Resident Evil Code Veronica while I do understand those are ports and not remasters it in a way still follows the trend of going back and re releasing an old game. Some people haven't played them and are still willing to pay.

I didn't like the idea of Gow3 and the uncharted games being remastered because to me if you had a ps3 you get those games dirt cheap but what about the people who didnt have a ps3. While yes they could go out and buy all of that and it would probably be cheaper than a ps4 I feel remasters have done more good than harm.

5 minutes ago, shadowhood1111 said:

Humanity can't let go of the past. While I did at one time also hate the remasters I can kinda get behind them now. There have been ports released not to long ago of games I had always wanted to play as a child but never got to due to not having any money and my parents would only buy me games occasionally, understandably. Now though with my own apartment and job I have been able to play games such as Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, and Resident Evil Code Veronica while I do understand those are ports and not remasters it in a way still follows the trend of going back and re releasing an old game. Some people haven't played them and are still willing to pay.

I didn't like the idea of Gow3 and the uncharted games being remastered because to me if you had a ps3 you get those games dirt cheap but what about the people who didnt have a ps3. While yes they could go out and buy all of that and it would probably be cheaper than a ps4 I feel remasters have done more good than harm.

That's completely understandable, because I grew up in the 1990s and early 2000s and I was only allowed to get video games my parents would get me. I would get Super Mario 64 for the N64 and I had to wait six months for my birthday (July going from Christmas the year before) to get Goldeneye 007. Then I had to wait several more months for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Despite all the bitching on Season Passes and shit that comes with a lot of AAA games, video games 15 - 20 years ago were in reality more expensive, because people didn't earn as high of wages and the games were priced at $50 - 60, occasionally more depending on what it was.

These days I can pretty much buy anything and everything I want, but the excitement of looking forward to a game has basically diminished. I have tons of games on Steam I bought for basically $2-5 that I will probably never get around to playing. So the idea and concept of buying so much with just a few button clicks on the internet makes me not as excited for video games as I used to be.

I still don't understand how some people completely skipped out on a Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3, unless they played games on Steam for that entire generation and somehow missed all those great exclusives like Gears of War, Halo 3, Uncharted franchise and of course God of War. I say the same thing for people who never played a Nintendo Wii or Wii U. I completely understand some games not getting around to. For instance I never played Dante's Inferno or played all the Mass Effect games.

There is the Playstation Now service for those who would rather stream those PS3 games onto their PS4 or PC computer, so there's that.