Spinosaurus Rex

Opinions about the game

10 posts in this topic

Many rewards, very high notes and praise from almost every game site. Sure, there's a few high quality things about this game - story, art style, music, gameplay ideas - but when it's come to pure gameplay, I felt it was fairly tedious (mainly fight aspect, but fortunately it became better with Twig character). I had to push myself through the game a lot of times and I wasn't interested in platinuming it (maybe will come back to it one day), and that's not a good thing in such a short game.

What do you think? I wonder if I am alone in my deliberations.

Personally I didn't ike the story and the gameplay didn't feel really enjoyable. My biggest gripe with the game are the controls as they felt rather unresponsive in some situtations (the boss fight against Dirk was annoying before I even realized how easy he is to handle with Twig) and there were a few restarts required due to hitting the flight button at the wrong moment.

BTW: I see that you actually fought the final boss without the Specter Cloak? :o I don't even want to imagine how aggravating that is.

I assume that you don't like to spend the time searching for the remaing coins, right? I can understand that as some of them are really well hidden with no real visual indication that they exist at that place. I would recommend this playlist as that at least shows where you have to go. :)

On 21.08.2018 at 0:16 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Personally I didn't ike the story and the gameplay didn't feel really enjoyable. My biggest gripe with the game are the controls as they felt rather unresponsive in some situtations (the boss fight against Dirk was annoying before I even realized how easy he is to handle with Twig) and there were a few restarts required due to hitting the flight button at the wrong moment.

BTW: I see that you actually fought the final boss without the Specter Cloak? :o I don't even want to imagine how aggravating that is.

I assume that you don't like to spend the time searching for the remaing coins, right? I can understand that as some of them are really well hidden with no real visual indication that they exist at that place. I would recommend this playlist as that at least shows where you have to go. :)

Thanks, but I can't bring myself to play through most of the game again. But maybe I return for the gold trophy, which I assume, don't need you to find ALL coins in the game.

I also agree with controls, even little things annoyed me to the max, like Otus grabbing friends instead of anything else. Don't even start about cannon minigame. And specter Cloak is that thing that makes you invincible when you dodge, right? Sure it would be handy, but honestly for me, less for the last boss, and more for the rest of the game.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

6 minutes ago, sashamence said:

Thanks, but I can't bring myself to play through most of the game again. But maybe I return for the gold trophy, which I assume, don't need you to find ALL coins in the game.

There's a total of 2860 coins to collect and you need 2800 to unlock the trophies associated to the coins and to unlock the cloak. When I traveled through Tropos/Stratos I was able to find the remaining coins and I was able to redeem the cload for 2842 coins. I was missing 9 coins each in the two floating continent sections: jungle and molten. I'm glad that I didn't have to return to them. xD

9 minutes ago, sashamence said:

Don't even start about cannon minigame.

That game is a big PITA at first but overall it just took me about an hour to get all coins. For the first 15 minutes I didn't even make it pass the first big downwards slope. <_< Would it have a faster startup time it would be less annoying.

10 minutes ago, sashamence said:

And specter Cloak is that thing that makes you invincible when you dodge, right? Sure it would be handy, but honestly for me, less for the last boss, and more for the rest of the game :P

Yep, that's the one. I just mashed :circle: the whole fight and the final boss didn't hit me once.

If you need 2800 coins to unlock most trophies and 2860 to unlock another one, then I think not going for 2860 is stupidity. Also I don't understand how can anyone say this game is casual when it's so frustrating. Thanks goodness there's a lot of checkpoints there.

BTW I know this topic is about Owlboy, but seeing you active and having similiar opinion about games, how do you rate Yoku's Island Express? I see you platinumed it, it's more pleasant to play than Owlboy?

23 minutes ago, sashamence said:

If you need 2800 coins to unlock most trophies and 2860 to unlock another one, then I think not going for 2860 is stupidity :D also I don't understand how can anyone say this game is casual when it's so frustrating. Thanks goodness there's a lot of checkpoints there.

This may be a little misunderstanding: The trophy for collecting all coins pops once you reach 2800 coins (and that's also the amount required for unlocking the cloak), but there's 2860 coins. As you know, most of the time you will get 3 coins for flying through the rings or 30 when opening a chest so it's more or less like collecting all coins still.

28 minutes ago, sashamence said:

BTW I know this topic is about Owlboy, but seeing you active and having similiar opinion about games, how do you rate Yoku's Island Express? I see you platinumed it, it's more pleasant to play than Owlboy?

Yoku was a really nice experience. :) There are some annoying collectibles, the so-called scarabs which normally can't be tracked but there seems to be an update that makes them much easier to get any now as the map will show them once you are below a specific threshold. Gameplay-wise it's a really nice mix between metroidvania/platformer and pinball. There also seems to be a demo on the european store:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=EP4064-CUSA10650_00-YOKUSISLANDEXP00

Recommend it over Owlboy anytime. :dance:

On 21.08.2018 at 2:28 PM, Crimson Idol said:

This may be a little misunderstanding: The trophy for collecting all coins pops once you reach 2800 coins (and that's also the amount required for unlocking the cloak), but there's 2860 coins. As you know, most of the time you will get 3 coins for flying through the rings or 30 when opening a chest so it's more or less like collecting all coins still.

Oh, now I understand. But I still don't understand the difference between Treasure Seeker (Collect every Buccanary coin from all zones) and 

Treasure Seeker Grand Master (Collect all Buccanary coins)

On 21.08.2018 at 2:28 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Yoku was a really nice experience. :) There are some annoying collectibles, the so-called scarabs which normally can't be tracked but there seems to be an update that makes them much easier to get any now as the map will show them once you are below a specific threshold. Gameplay-wise it's a really nice mix between metroidvania/platformer and pinball. There also seems to be a demo on the european store:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=EP4064-CUSA10650_00-YOKUSISLANDEXP00

Recommend it over Owlboy anytime. :dance:

So then, I'm gonna download the demo and get the game ASAP. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, sashamence said:

Oh, now I understand. But I still don't understand the difference between Treasure Seeker (Collect every Buccanary coin from all zones) and 

Treasure Seeker Grand Master (Collect all Buccanary coins)

Treasure Seeker --> Finding the necessary coins

Treasure Seeker Grand Master --> Having the necessary coins and going to the shop

On 21.08.2018 at 2:58 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Treasure Seeker --> Finding the necessary coins

Treasure Seeker Grand Master --> Having the necessary coins and going to the shop

So, they hand two trophies for one price. Nice.

EDIT: I see trophy percentage is messed up a bit (TSGM trophy is more frequent), but I heard there was a glitch preventing from getting both trophies, so this is probably why.

Late to this party, but I'm about halfway through, and it's...OK? the control is a bit wonky, and the camera is atrocious (I hate, hate, HATE having an enemy just waiting to pummel me after a screen change). The graphics are delightful, and the music is excellent. The story is nice as well. But metroids live and die off of control, so I can't give it full praise.