Warning about Save Files

Hey everyone, just wanted to throw this out there. Maybe it will help someone else.

So I started this one, got all the way through Sora's story on proud, while grinding to 99 and collecting all the cards (minus the 3 you get after completing Riku's story). I started Riku's playthrough next, and when it prompted me to save I noticed that it defaulted to the top save slot (Sora). I made a mental note of that, and planned on making more copies of the Sora save next time I turned it off. Well, I didn't remember it the next time I saved and overwrote the completed Sora save. 25 hours gone.

After panicking I checked the cloud saves, and even though I have the Automatic Cloud Upload checked, it never uploaded my saves for Chain of Memories after a week of playing.

This was my fault of course, I should have been more careful. I'm just spoiled now from games that default the save to hover over the last file used. Now I get to do another grind of what I think we can all agree is the best game in the series...

• Like 1

It only defaults to the top slot when you first start a new game (with Riku, or if you for some reason start another Sora playthrough). After the first time you save, it'll always hover over the slot you last saved on.

Just be careful not to overwrite your Riku save (when you complete it) with your new Sora save, as you'll need the complete save to be there to get the cards.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

It only defaults to the top slot when you first start a new game (with Riku, or if you for some reason start another Sora playthrough). After the first time you save, it'll always hover over the slot you last saved on.

See that's what i thought too! That's what I remember happening when I played through the PS3 version. For some reason it didn't happen this time. 

I had the same issue with Dying Light. One of the trophies bugged out on me so I decided to start a new playthrough/save file to quickly get it. After the trophy not unlocking after I had met the requirements, I then decided to delete the save file in the second slot which I thought was the new game, but it was my full game save file. I was really close to the platinum too, only needed that bugged trophy and the obligatory collectibles trophy. ?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For any games that requires multiple run-throughs, I always put in a different game save in case.

I remember that I lost everything that I had unlocked in a Normal Playthrough for the Gamecube version of Resident Evil Zero as I saved the Hard run-through ON the Normal Clear file. That's why I always try to put in a different save file for each possible difficulty just IN CASE unless a trophy guide says that everything must be on single file (hello MGS2.)