Do you buy new, used, or rent games?

MrsB

I'm just curious about other people's buying preferences. Do you usually buy your games new, used, or do you go the renting route?

Personally, nowadays I rent most of my games from Gamefly. If there's a game I HAVE to have when it comes out though I will pre-order. Otherwise, if I buy a game I usually buy it pre-owned so I can save money and return it within 7 days if it turns out that I don't like it. How about you?

• Like 1

I always buy my games, for i feel i am rushed to complete them if i rent them. I usually buy my games new because i like to rip the plastic off, and whenever i buy a game pre-owned, it is always either scratched, bent, damaged, or has the manual missing.

• Like 1

I buy both new and used. Normally, new ones are those I buy day one (made by Rockstar Games, or favourite series like Metal Gear, etc.), while used might be other kind of games.

I never rent, because there isn't any place to rent where I live, but I think even if there were, I wouldn't rent. I don't like to play in a hurry.

New is highly preferable with certain games being pre-ordered months in advance usually large collector's editions, I do buy pre-owned every now and then if I find a really old and hard to get game but otherwise not really. 

The last time I borrowed a game from a friend or rented would be over 10-15 years ago so I'd say I've given up on renting. I'd say in regards to digital I'll only go that route if it is the only way possible to get a game and I don't really bother with PS+ as I feel that is more of an extended rental service and not true ownership.

I used to buy pre-owned off eBay because I don't care to give my money to gamestop if I can help it. Lately, I've only been buying "new" games that have been marked down or are in the bargain bin. There are occasional games that I'll pay full price for on day one, but they're very few and far between.

Also, I do borrow and loan out games to friends from time to time. ;)

Edit: I don't care to rent either because I've become somewhat of a collector.

Edited by Rowdi

I have never rented a game, and I have also never pre-ordered a game either. I am a serious bargain hunter and always try to get the best deal for all the games I buy. I prefer to buy new, but if I think that I can get a better deal buying pre-owned then I'll do that instead. Games are usually £40 new here on day one, but I generally manage to get my games for around the £10-£15 mark, sometimes less, just for waiting a little and shopping around. Plus I like to have a collection :D.

I'm just curious about other people's buying preferences. Do you usually buy your games new, used, or do you go the renting route?

Personally, nowadays I rent most of my games from Gamefly. If there's a game I HAVE to have when it comes out though I will pre-order. Otherwise, if I buy a game I usually buy it pre-owned so I can save money and return it within 7 days if it turns out that I don't like it. How about you?

I try to buy used games but the problem is with online passes. If i know a game doesn't need an online pass then i'll buy them used :)

If I know I'll have the money, or can borrow some from someone to buy a game new, then I would. Though I don't often buy games new, unless it still has yet to be released and I know that I will enjoy it. (For example: The Last of Us) 

Otherwise, I will buy them used, either from ebay or GAME.

• Like 1