Do you buy new, used, or rent games?

MrsB

The last time I rented a game was when the original Playstation was considered the Top of the Line console. 

I have something like 28-20 games on disc and 100+ that are digital. I used to be very anti-digital but none of the issues i had exist anymore so it's actually become my preferred method. 

I gave up buying used games a couple years ago for the main reason of wanting to support the developers. It's kind of a moot point as I've only bought 5 or 6 games on disc over the past 12 months. 

The last PS3 game I pre-ordered was LBP. I don't see me pre-ordering any games again either; The only possible exception would be if they release an Unreal Tournament for the Unreal 4 engine. I have a large backlog, and even if I really wanted to play a game, I think I'd still wait until after the release so I could avoid unexpected issues like major glitches (Skyrim) or games seriously below current gen standards (Aliens Colonial Marines).  

I stopped buying new games for a long time as I had so many other games that I had yet to get to.

Partially because of sales on pre-owned games around the Christmas season. We have some ok sales in the 12 Days of Christmas at EBGames and Best Buy/Future Shop also had similar deals.

Then Boxing Day you can really load up on used games as most are 50-70% to free when buying 5 or more.

But lately I have been picking up games on launch and also pre-ordering again.

Have Last Of Us, Black List, COD: Ghosts & BF4 on pre order.

I was hardcore into GameFly for a while but, due to the increasing amount of DLC I have started to resort to purchasing. For older games that i previously rented and require DLC, I'll grab a used copy. However, I prefer new now.

I never rent, I just don't like the idea of it myself, as the games don't feel like mine.

I 9 times out of 10 buy a game new unless it's an old game I was looking for then I get it pre-owned.

One of the reasons why I don't rent games.

If I want a game,I rather own it than risk breaking a used game by accident.

Edited by wolverinefangirl
  • Like 1

One of the reasons why I don't rent games.

If I want a game,I rather own it than risk breaking a used game by accident.

Yeah and thats also why I try not to buy pre-owned as my friends (not me) had it that they spent money on a game that freezes constantly and is broken,

I'm buy 98% of my games new. On occasion I'll buy a used game if it is substantially cheaper than a new copy. I don't rent games for a couple of reasons. I collect them. Plus, I don't always have time to concentrate on a game, so owning it allows me to pick it up at my leisure.

I rent most of them with Lovefilm, if you are not from the UK Lovefilm basically allows you to rent a certain number of games (depends on plan) and you can keep them as long as you like I basically get 5-8 new games a month depending how much I had to play. However games I know I will enjoy or I am a fan of the franchise e.g. Resident Evil, Mass Effect, I usually pre-order the game and most of times get it one day before release date.