Do not buy this game (Personal opinion)

The following is my personal opinion.

I remember the old pes games to be actually good and enjoyable games which i found better than fifa. In the last years i moved to fifa but i got pes2018 discounted so i could make comparisons between the 2 games... and damn, konami managed to make something worse than EA. This game is funny to play only online.

PES2018 is a very broken game, you can find that out once you play enough and by changing constantly the difficulty, there was a lot of potential on this game but konami screwed everything. I thought these problems were related to my skills at first, but when i played online i found out that people have my same problems as well, i haven't played a single online match where everything worked fine and i scored some very strange weird goals.

Impossible to win mode: in some cases for each your goal the AI will score immediately as well, you can't do anything, all touches to ball will go to it, your companions will never advance, AI defense won't have a single space where you can go or do a passage, almost all heashots will be won by AI, if for a miracle you can reach its area your shots will only go either to the GK or outside, you can do 30 shots and 2-3 on the goal which will be all blocked and AI does 3 shots, all on goal and scored, you're just screwed if you don't get a hell of luck to overpass this.

There is a difficulty where this game is too easy but as soon as you pick the next one then it becomes totally different. In a football game there should be tactics on how to approach the opponent's area depending from what he does, weakpoints etc, but here the only thing you can do is to just launch the ball from midfileld, since is no possible to pass the opponents since they react in 0,00 sec, you may succeed once but you will definitely achieve more fails than success and your companions do not cooperate.

High pressing should work like in real games, is what happens in fifa but not here, because there is no mistake in passages which are done as soon as you are close to the ball and what AI does is to just throw the ball forward at the exactly instant that a companion is running there, starting a dangerous counter from a side. Only thing you can do is... seems anything, i found the best tactic to just press the other players hoping to get the ball, or try to take the ball when AI is clearly trying to dribbling or is going to shot.

Physic...seems konami took some lessons from Ubisoft about this. When you touch the ball from an opponent it usually bounces at 1,000km/h away from you or just into another opponent's foot, instead when is the AI to take the ball it almost stops and can be easily taken from AI.

Corners are fully broken, if you try to aim in the same spot and same power during corners the ball will go in different spots. Also if you try to take the ball with the goalkeeper he usually crouches down below the opponent or will reject the ball rather than blocking it although it travels very slowly and without AI's pression, so much slow that even you could block it.

Fauls are in part broken, AI can push you away with arms without problems, and at times even if you fully take the ball you get a fault against you.

Referre has the habit to stay in front of your players, slowing them down.

Your companions have a retard of 1,5 sec, before they realise they have to defend or to follow an offensive passage.

The cursor is the worst shit i've ever seen, it continously change to the worst choice and when you switch player the previous one is stunned for a second, also when a passage is for a player, but another one is closer and could take the ball to make things easier, well the cursor is stucked to the first player and the last one won't take the ball at all..

Your companions often do not do anything, if you tell them to fully attack they won't, if you tell to attack from sides they won't, they usually just stay still and watch, they do not run to propose themself, while AI's ones constantly move to receive the passage.

Shots from AI are mostly in the angles even outside the area, while your companions shoot away even from 3m. Headshot from AI are dangerous, while yours are usually sent to the corner, out the stadium or travels at 0,01 km/h

When your companions lose the ball it seems that they have been hit from a bat or something on a leg, being stunned for 2 secs, while AI's ones follow the ball almost immediately.

All this happens not just with 50-60 rated players where i guess is normal, but even on 80+ ones!

I play on fifa at highest difficulty and i haven't such problems, i can use tactics to score and i'm supported by companions even while using weak teams, here instead the only thing i can do is to launch the ball on one side, cross and try to score with head.

Also with the new pes coming out i do not know for how much time konami will offer online competitions for pes2018, since you need them for a trophy.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, deotricky said:

surely we played different pes2018s :)

Maybe on ps4 is a little better...

I read also on internet other people complaining about pes2018, now i understand how the game could be discounted to 5 euros.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deotricky said:

i completely understand your frustration but pes is not for everyone, stick to fifa... and help me to understand why is fifa 2016 priced 70 euros even today ;)

Even fifa is bad, nowadays a good soccer game doesn't exist, i do not buy the new fifa game since it does not deserve such price, i'm stuck with the 16 that i got hugely discounted like was pes2018.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, deotricky said:

i completely understand your frustration but pes is not for everyone, stick to fifa... and help me to understand why is fifa 2016 priced 70 euros even today ;)

Because E.A.want to exploit every single dime from the sport fans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 0:32 PM, seblegamer said:

I tried a little of pes and fifa 18, and my first feeling about those game is that pes is good, and fifa very very bad =\

I need to play more on both of course, but for now pes 2018 is way better than fifa 2018 to me ^^

PES 18 was absolutely horrendous, first time passing is non existent as is a first touch 

• 8 months later...
On 8/25/2018 at 4:35 PM, VirtualNight said:

The following is my personal opinion.

I remember the old pes games to be actually good and enjoyable games which i found better than fifa. In the last years i moved to fifa but i got pes2018 discounted so i could make comparisons between the 2 games... and damn, konami managed to make something worse than EA. This game is funny to play only online.

PES2018 is a very broken game, you can find that out once you play enough and by changing constantly the difficulty, there was a lot of potential on this game but konami screwed everything. I thought these problems were related to my skills at first, but when i played online i found out that people have my same problems as well, i haven't played a single online match where everything worked fine and i scored some very strange weird goals.

Impossible to win mode: in some cases for each your goal the AI will score immediately as well, you can't do anything, all touches to ball will go to it, your companions will never advance, AI defense won't have a single space where you can go or do a passage, almost all heashots will be won by AI, if for a miracle you can reach its area your shots will only go either to the GK or outside, you can do 30 shots and 2-3 on the goal which will be all blocked and AI does 3 shots, all on goal and scored, you're just screwed if you don't get a hell of luck to overpass this.

There is a difficulty where this game is too easy but as soon as you pick the next one then it becomes totally different. In a football game there should be tactics on how to approach the opponent's area depending from what he does, weakpoints etc, but here the only thing you can do is to just launch the ball from midfileld, since is no possible to pass the opponents since they react in 0,00 sec, you may succeed once but you will definitely achieve more fails than success and your companions do not cooperate.

High pressing should work like in real games, is what happens in fifa but not here, because there is no mistake in passages which are done as soon as you are close to the ball and what AI does is to just throw the ball forward at the exactly instant that a companion is running there, starting a dangerous counter from a side. Only thing you can do is... seems anything, i found the best tactic to just press the other players hoping to get the ball, or try to take the ball when AI is clearly trying to dribbling or is going to shot.

Physic...seems konami took some lessons from Ubisoft about this. When you touch the ball from an opponent it usually bounces at 1,000km/h away from you or just into another opponent's foot, instead when is the AI to take the ball it almost stops and can be easily taken from AI.

Corners are fully broken, if you try to aim in the same spot and same power during corners the ball will go in different spots. Also if you try to take the ball with the goalkeeper he usually crouches down below the opponent or will reject the ball rather than blocking it although it travels very slowly and without AI's pression, so much slow that even you could block it.

Fauls are in part broken, AI can push you away with arms without problems, and at times even if you fully take the ball you get a fault against you.

Referre has the habit to stay in front of your players, slowing them down.

Your companions have a retard of 1,5 sec, before they realise they have to defend or to follow an offensive passage.

The cursor is the worst shit i've ever seen, it continously change to the worst choice and when you switch player the previous one is stunned for a second, also when a passage is for a player, but another one is closer and could take the ball to make things easier, well the cursor is stucked to the first player and the last one won't take the ball at all..

Your companions often do not do anything, if you tell them to fully attack they won't, if you tell to attack from sides they won't, they usually just stay still and watch, they do not run to propose themself, while AI's ones constantly move to receive the passage.

Shots from AI are mostly in the angles even outside the area, while your companions shoot away even from 3m. Headshot from AI are dangerous, while yours are usually sent to the corner, out the stadium or travels at 0,01 km/h

When your companions lose the ball it seems that they have been hit from a bat or something on a leg, being stunned for 2 secs, while AI's ones follow the ball almost immediately.

All this happens not just with 50-60 rated players where i guess is normal, but even on 80+ ones!

I play on fifa at highest difficulty and i haven't such problems, i can use tactics to score and i'm supported by companions even while using weak teams, here instead the only thing i can do is to launch the ball on one side, cross and try to score with head.

Also with the new pes coming out i do not know for how much time konami will offer online competitions for pes2018, since you need them for a trophy.

Whoah, you've literally taken the words out of my mouth!

I've been playing PES 2018 some months ago and soon realized it's nowhere as decent as the last installments and their "6 wins in a row in Superstar".

Of course, PES 2016 had the OP R2 shots from outside the box, where they would almost always score and PES 2017 had extremely OP headers.

But PES 2018 is completely ridiculous: I'm tired of building great plays only for my striker to shoot it outside near the post while being alone with the GK.

Defense is useless, doesn't matter how hard you keep trying to set your defensive players, the non-controlled characters will always screw up your defensive line and the CPU will totally exploit it.

Not to mention rebounds: they will ALWAYS go to a free CPU striker, face to face with the empty goal.

Sometimes it's simply impossible to beat VS COM in myClub even at the 5 star difficulty and sometimes you simply trash them only for you to be trashed at 6 stars superteams.

I have yet to reach Legend level (where most people claim where the total bullshit is). Well, if the bullshit will get worse: "NO, GOD! PLEASE NO!"

Guess I'll end with all 6 stacks at 98% (missing Legend myClub trophy) and that will be it. I'll keep trying but it doesn't help having only crappy silver ball players in my team as Konami always remove decent special agents when the game get old.

Overall, I'm a pretty good e-soccer player, have been playing it for over 12+ years, but PES 2018 myClub VS COM is a clear example of how to craft an unfair and distasteful challenge: "git gud" is not an option, it's more something like "pray for the game not to screw you too much and you might win eventually, maybe perhaps some day"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdinhoN said:

Whoah, you've literally taken the words out of my mouth!

I've been playing PES 2018 some months ago and soon realized it's nowhere as decent as the last installments and their "6 wins in a row in Superstar".

Of course, PES 2016 had the OP R2 shots from outside the box, where they would almost always score and PES 2017 had extremely OP headers.

But PES 2018 is completely ridiculous: I'm tired of building great plays only for my striker to shoot it outside near the post while being alone with the GK.

Defense is useless, doesn't matter how hard you keep trying to set your defensive players, the non-controlled characters will always screw up your defensive line and the CPU will totally exploit it.

Not to mention rebounds: they will ALWAYS go to a free CPU striker, face to face with the empty goal.

Sometimes it's simply impossible to beat VS COM in myClub even at the 5 star difficulty and sometimes you simply trash them only for you to be trashed at 6 stars superteams.

I have yet to reach Legend level (where most people claim where the total bullshit is). Well, if the bullshit will get worse: "NO, GOD! PLEASE NO!"

Guess I'll end with all 6 stacks at 98% (missing Legend myClub trophy) and that will be it. I'll keep trying but it doesn't help having only crappy silver ball players in my team as Konami always remove decent special agents when the game get old.

Overall, I'm a pretty good e-soccer player, have been playing it for over 12+ years, but PES 2018 myClub VS COM is a clear example of how to craft an unfair and distasteful challenge: "git gud" is not an option, it's more something like "pray for the game not to screw you too much and you might win eventually, maybe perhaps some day"

My last pes before this was 2010 and it was quite a good game.

Legend difficulty vs weak team is just like Superstar so if you can beat this last, you are surely good to go.

I spent dozens of hours to grind money to buy agents for nice players, I used a very wonderful guide to pick the cheapest agents for the best players, in the end I had players like Aubameyang, Messi, Insigne, Pogba, Buffon, Thiago Silva, Alderweirdel (this one was particularly good despite just an 84 rating, but tall players seem to work the best).

I had Usain Bolt from my digital copy who was helpful at the beginning but was useless on higher difficulties, small players like Messi and Insigne worked the best to go on the sides (4-3-3) where i played the most.

19 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

My last pes before this was 2010 and it was quite a good game.

Legend difficulty vs weak team is just like Superstar so if you can beat this last, you are surely good to go.

I spent dozens of hours to grind money to buy agents for nice players, I used a very wonderful guide to pick the cheapest agents for the best players, in the end I had players like Aubameyang, Messi, Insigne, Pogba, Buffon, Thiago Silva, Alderweirdel (this one was particularly good despite just an 84 rating, but tall players seem to work the best).

I had Usain Bolt from my digital copy who was helpful at the beginning but was useless on higher difficulties, small players like Messi and Insigne worked the best to go on the sides (4-3-3) where i played the most.

Do you still have the link to that guide for cheap players? Because I'll need to farm tons of GP boosting with my secondary ps4 so I can buy new players from scouts (and I'll need to think about 4 and 5 star scouts! At least gold players).

In PES 2016 and 2017 I had used all my GP in the 10k GP normal agents, being able to build a solid 3 stars team in most of the cases, however in this 2018 it's not enough at all.

My only chance at the moment I guess is buying those cheap agents but of course refraining from famous ones: scouts used for players like Ronaldo and Messi will cost 30k+ GP

With my current team I can easily beat superstar weak teams, superstars medium teams are inconsistent (would say 50 to 60% of wins) and I almost always lose to the superstars strong teams, so as you stated, I'm probably "not good to go" thinking in terms of Legend level right now

29 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

Do you still have the link to that guide for cheap players? Because I'll need to farm tons of GP boosting with my secondary ps4 so I can buy new players from scouts (and I'll need to think about 4 and 5 star scouts! At least gold players).

In PES 2016 and 2017 I had used all my GP in the 10k GP normal agents, being able to build a solid 3 stars team in most of the cases, however in this 2018 it's not enough at all.

My only chance at the moment I guess is buying those cheap agents but of course refraining from famous ones: scouts used for players like Ronaldo and Messi will cost 30k+ GP

With my current team I can easily beat superstar weak teams, superstars medium teams are inconsistent (would say 50 to 60% of wins) and I almost always lose to the superstars strong teams, so as you stated, I'm probably "not good to go" thinking in terms of Legend level right now

http://pesdb.net/pes2018/

May be a bit tricky at the beginning, but once you figure out how it works it will be your best friend. Don't go fo Scouts like BARCELONA and others that will cost a lot, look for unknown scouts (pick "all combinations") that can be used for best players.

My main rule was not to spend over 100k GP for a single player (so around 33K for 1 scout), that's why I have never bought Ronaldo for example because I could not find a good cheap combination, but there is no need to go for the best possible team.

I will post here my 11 players once I check back them.

Edited by VirtualNight
link corrected
  • Like 1

Trying not to be rude, i think it is all about your skills. Yes, MyClub is unfair, even against COM, because is a mode created to be some kind of Pay to Win, but if you have pattience... nothing to be scared about. Since PES 2015, this japanese guys launch a better game than FIFA, at least in its gameplay. Sadly, this is a lost war. Keep playing and you will improve. Even more, you will enjoy a lot.

Currently working on it too and its killing me xD

Went to legend twice :

- first time did 2 draws -> back to superstar -_-

-second time i won first match then draw 2-2

Was loosing 1-0 .. could go back to 1-1. Immediatly after i take a goal from mid field ><

Could come back to 2-2 ... had a 2 or 3 "impossible to miss" action where i should score but no ! Epic save from opponent's gk or epic fail from my striker ! And the end -_- 

So close from it .. i still cant believe it !

And my issue is : my team cost me a lot of gp to renew contracts, so even with a lot of wins i cant buy new players, just enough to keep my team alive xD

Edited by seblegamer

Going to boot this back up next week and get to work. I'm at superstar- higher atm and my team is absolutely ridiculous and includes Messi, Ronaldo, De Gea, Hazard, and Sergio Ramos. I built it up just before PES 2019 with the very generous World Cup event and picking off agents for cheap as has been discussed here. I checked a couple weeks ago and it seemed the rate of 5 star scouts being released is much slower, which may complicate things for people trying to improve now.

Does anyone have any gameplay tips to help us get through this? I'm decent at the game, but it has been awhile since I've played and no idea what to expect of legend (was planning to play some games in the kickoff mode first to get used to it.)

49 minutes ago, seblegamer said:

And my issue is : my team cost me a lot of gp to renew contracts, so even with a lot of wins i cant buy new players, just enough to keep my team alive xD

When you grind GP use weak players, then when their contract expires just get rid of them and substitute with new weak players who if i recall correctly will just come while grinding.

This was my team, if it can help. It was enough to beat the AI. I think the most important roles are the Goalkeeper, at least 1 good and tall defender, 1 good midfielder and definitely a good striker and 2 fast wings.

IMG_20190708_202027.jpg?width=400&height

I spent few time to upgrade my best players to just level 10 around.

Edited by VirtualNight

9 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree that the gameplay is broken. Especially in higher difficulties, the AI does get extremely cheap on you. It does get better with practice but even then it's still quite frustrating.

Anyway, I'd like to offer some advice for the Legendary Streak trophy since I just unlocked it fairly recently myself and if I can help anyone with this dreadful trophy, all the better.

Before doing anything else I just grinded GP like crazy. If you've finished everything else in the game except for the MyClub trophies you should have about 300000 GP as a result plus what you're probably already making from the White/Bronze Ball player method so I'm not going into too much detail.

My advice? Spend all your GP on Top Agents instead of using the Auction House. Sure you can get Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and the like through the AH but the money you'd spend on them could be used to roll several Top Agents with a good chance of getting a Gold or Black Ball player. It just seems better IMO.

I used a 4-3-3 formation with the best manager I could find that had a "Wide" attacking zone strategy. Get a manager with high Management Skills points so you can use all your best players at the same time.

imAiWoC.jpg

This is what my team looked like by the time I started going for the trophy. Notice all players are above 80, even though I don't think it's necessary to have that. I do recommend taking every White/Bronze/Silver Ball player whose contract expires and turning them into trainers instead of selling them; that's how I got most of my players to those levels. Getting some players through loans is also worth it, though I didn't have any in this picture and would only do so with Black Ball players.

On Game Plan I set Advanced Instructions to Wing Rotation and Centering Targets (Offense) and Deep Defensive Line and Swarm the Box (Defense). I did feel like my team played better like that and managed to avoid most of the BS the AI likes to throw at you.

The strategy? Get your wingers, run/dribble until the edge of the box on the side then do your best to enter the box and try to cross (low crosses unfortunately never worked very well in high difficulties, but high crosses did just fine). I would just run towards the edge of the field and attempt to get past the defender that would follow me. It's quite easy once you learn what to do. Then I would run into the box and cross, just a quick tap on O and the ball would usually be able to make it to my CF's head and into the net. It's a number's game so try to do it as much as possible.

Once you score once or twice, hold the ball in your field and start passing it around between goalkeeper and CBs/RBs/LBs, get it to the midfield players and then all the way back to the defense/keeper. Try not to do it too fast because the AI does find a way to sneak up on you. Then just wait for the time to pass until the match is over.

I started doing this on Super Star Medium and all the way through Legend, had almost no problems aside from the occasional blunder from my defense or whatever.

If you or anybody else needs any clarification, just ask. I'd be happy to help as much as I can. Good luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AFRising said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree that the gameplay is broken. Especially in higher difficulties, the AI does get extremely cheap on you. It does get better with practice but even then it's still quite frustrating.

Anyway, I'd like to offer some advice for the Legendary Streak trophy since I just unlocked it fairly recently myself and if I can help anyone with this dreadful trophy, all the better.

Before doing anything else I just grinded GP like crazy. If you've finished everything else in the game except for the MyClub trophies you should have about 300000 GP as a result plus what you're probably already making from the White/Bronze Ball player method so I'm not going into too much detail.

My advice? Spend all your GP on Top Agents instead of using the Auction House. Sure you can get Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and the like through the AH but the money you'd spend on them could be used to roll several Top Agents with a good chance of getting a Gold or Black Ball player. It just seems better IMO.

I used a 4-3-3 formation with the best manager I could find that had a "Wide" attacking zone strategy. Get a manager with high Management Skills points so you can use all your best players at the same time.

imAiWoC.jpg

This is what my team looked like by the time I started going for the trophy. Notice all players are above 80, even though I don't think it's necessary to have that. I do recommend taking every White/Bronze/Silver Ball player whose contract expires and turning them into trainers instead of selling them; that's how I got most of my players to those levels. Getting some players through loans is also worth it, though I didn't have any in this picture and would only do so with Black Ball players.

On Game Plan I set Advanced Instructions to Wing Rotation and Centering Targets (Offense) and Deep Defensive Line and Swarm the Box (Defense). I did feel like my team played better like that and managed to avoid most of the BS the AI likes to throw at you.

The strategy? Get your wingers, run/dribble until the edge of the box on the side then do your best to enter the box and try to cross (low crosses unfortunately never worked very well in high difficulties, but high crosses did just fine). I would just run towards the edge of the field and attempt to get past the defender that would follow me. It's quite easy once you learn what to do. Then I would run into the box and cross, just a quick tap on O and the ball would usually be able to make it to my CF's head and into the net. It's a number's game so try to do it as much as possible.

Once you score once or twice, hold the ball in your field and start passing it around between goalkeeper and CBs/RBs/LBs, get it to the midfield players and then all the way back to the defense/keeper. Try not to do it too fast because the AI does find a way to sneak up on you. Then just wait for the time to pass until the match is over.

I started doing this on Super Star Medium and all the way through Legend, had almost no problems aside from the occasional blunder from my defense or whatever.

If you or anybody else needs any clarification, just ask. I'd be happy to help as much as I can. Good luck!

I have mostly silver ball players from buying 10k GP Top agents with my 250k GP that came from obtaining the other trophies in the US stack version.

How did you manage to obtain that many black ball players? Because it has 2.5% chance, so I guess you've opened hundreds of agents, right?

Well, in this EU stack I've been buying cheap 4 star scouts from the Auction House, so I'm already with a decent gold ball team.

Wish I had played this before the release of 2019, using those Special Agents would easily give an awesome black player team.

1 hour ago, EdinhoN said:

I have mostly silver ball players from buying 10k GP Top agents with my 250k GP that came from obtaining the other trophies in the US stack version.

How did you manage to obtain that many black ball players? Because it has 2.5% chance, so I guess you've opened hundreds of agents, right?

Indeed. I just grinded GP a lot. Did over 1000 SIM matches. It's quite easy to get a ton of Black Ball players that way. You get a handful of Black Ball players, a bigger proportion of Gold and an ever bigger proportion of Silver players.

Now I don't think having a lot of BB players is strictly necessary. I think as long as your team doesn't have any underleveled areas (for instance, every attacker is 80 but every midfielder is 60) you'll do just fine. You still have one month left before the servers close on August, so it wouldn't hurt to grind some GP, but I think you're good to go depending on your team.

I also arrived a bit late to this game, managed to get one Special Agent that only got me a Gold player... It sucks. lol

30 minutes ago, AFRising said:

Indeed. I just grinded GP a lot. Did over 1000 SIM matches. It's quite easy to get a ton of Black Ball players that way. You get a handful of Black Ball players, a bigger proportion of Gold and an ever bigger proportion of Silver players.

Now I don't think having a lot of BB players is strictly necessary. I think as long as your team doesn't have any underleveled areas (for instance, every attacker is 80 but every midfielder is 60) you'll do just fine. You still have one month left before the servers close on August, so it wouldn't hurt to grind some GP, but I think you're good to go depending on your team.

I also arrived a bit late to this game, managed to get one Special Agent that only got me a Gold player... It sucks. lol

I wish I could have a team similar to mine on 2019, lol. Overall strength at 2900 or so, all black balls.

I have one month left to try to plat all 6 versions of 2018 =P (Realistically speaking I'd be happy with one plat in ps3 and another in ps4).

Well, I'm pretty optimistic at my ~84 overall gold ball team, seems like a big improvement from my first try in US version. Now is just to keep trying until I can overcome the cheap AI