MMDE

Any good?

4 posts in this topic

This is one of those games you often hear about how much people like and how good it is and so on. I finally got around to playing the PS4 version of the game that I got for free through PS+, and was it as good as everyone hyped it up to be?

It was okay. The presentation is good, the story is convoluted and not particularly great, but it's told in a cool way I guess. The gameplay was all about manipulating gravity, so you would look in a direction and then that would be where you fall towards. You got these "evil" monsters that you can fly towards and kick or use some special attack you get later in the game. Most of the time will be spent struggling with the controls and the gravity. That struggle could definitely have been much worse, and the game is somewhat lenient, but the challenge and the majority of the gameplay of the game is still that struggle. Sure, it can be fun exploring huge cities looking for some collectibles to power you up more or some hidden character who wants to tell you some nonsense or a manhole to create more fast travel points. The hardest part of the game is not the few fights you have to do against mostly the same few enemies over and over and over, but rather these extra challenges where you gotta do a checkpoint run through various places, where again, the challenge is the struggle of the controls.

The game is extremely repetitive, with the same few tasks done over and over. I'm not just talking about the similar challenges, but rather that there's just so few enemies, and you have to fight wave after wave of them. Or you had to pick up people and fly them to the other side of the map. A lot of it felt like padding, and so anything that wasn't just stuff like that over and over felt more interesting and fun.

The game did have some RPG elements, where you collect this one collectible the game has that can be used to improve various aspects of your gravity manipulation and abilities etc. Felt more like unnatural progress and made the game way easy.

The game has a female main character, so there's that for those who actually care about that kind of stuff. It didn't feel forced in or anything, so I don't care whatsoever, but maybe some of the praise is coming from the crowd who does care, idk.

I did encounter two glitches. One which made it so I couldn't enter the pause menu anymore and trophies didn't unlock. The other was me actually going through a wall somewhere. Luckily for me, the goal was to bring with me someone over to a wall I could get on the other side of and somehow I was transported to the correct side of the wall again after a short cutscene that this triggered.

So did I enjoy it? Sure, I enjoyed it enough to recommend others to play it, but don't have too high expectations. It's just a 3D gravity manipulation platformer in third person view with some weak action battle system and some light RPG elements.

Fun enough for a game I bought on sale, not hard at all even the challenges never took more then 2-3 attempts.

This is a “Be Sharps” type game. It’s clever when you start it, but becomes progressively less clever the more you play. Thankfully, it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome, but I’m pretty tired of it now.