Any good?

MMDE

This is one of those games you often hear about how much people like and how good it is and so on. I finally got around to playing the PS4 version of the game that I got for free through PS+, and was it as good as everyone hyped it up to be?

It was okay. The presentation is good, the story is convoluted and not particularly great, but it's told in a cool way I guess. The gameplay was all about manipulating gravity, so you would look in a direction and then that would be where you fall towards. You got these "evil" monsters that you can fly towards and kick or use some special attack you get later in the game. Most of the time will be spent struggling with the controls and the gravity. That struggle could definitely have been much worse, and the game is somewhat lenient, but the challenge and the majority of the gameplay of the game is still that struggle. Sure, it can be fun exploring huge cities looking for some collectibles to power you up more or some hidden character who wants to tell you some nonsense or a manhole to create more fast travel points. The hardest part of the game is not the few fights you have to do against mostly the same few enemies over and over and over, but rather these extra challenges where you gotta do a checkpoint run through various places, where again, the challenge is the struggle of the controls.

The game is extremely repetitive, with the same few tasks done over and over. I'm not just talking about the similar challenges, but rather that there's just so few enemies, and you have to fight wave after wave of them. Or you had to pick up people and fly them to the other side of the map. A lot of it felt like padding, and so anything that wasn't just stuff like that over and over felt more interesting and fun.

The game did have some RPG elements, where you collect this one collectible the game has that can be used to improve various aspects of your gravity manipulation and abilities etc. Felt more like unnatural progress and made the game way easy.

The game has a female main character, so there's that for those who actually care about that kind of stuff. It didn't feel forced in or anything, so I don't care whatsoever, but maybe some of the praise is coming from the crowd who does care, idk.

I did encounter two glitches. One which made it so I couldn't enter the pause menu anymore and trophies didn't unlock. The other was me actually going through a wall somewhere. Luckily for me, the goal was to bring with me someone over to a wall I could get on the other side of and somehow I was transported to the correct side of the wall again after a short cutscene that this triggered.

So did I enjoy it? Sure, I enjoyed it enough to recommend others to play it, but don't have too high expectations. It's just a 3D gravity manipulation platformer in third person view with some weak action battle system and some light RPG elements.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been looking into this and Gravity Rush 2.

If I get it... I'll have to force myself to just download the Remastered from PSN because there's no way in hell I'm paying $200 for the physical.

I can't really tell if these games are ones I would like or not. They seem interesting enough I guess, and the Platinums seem easy-ish/doable. Though there's no guarantee I would get them though obviously.

It's just hard for me to really tell if I would like them or not and the only 'demo' available is for Gravity Rush 2. Plus... they seem a bit too short.

Feel free to convince me I should if you so choose to I guess.

The post by fourfoldfoot is a bit of an incredible exaggeration. (First game, GR/GRR, also has multiple stealth sections that are just about consistently overlooked by people, and unlike GR2, they're all part of the main story, with a few also existent in its DLC.)

I've been looking into this and Gravity Rush 2.

I can't really tell if these games are ones I would like or not. They seem interesting enough I guess, and the Platinums seem easy-ish/doable. Though there's no guarantee I would get them though obviously.

It's just hard for me to really tell if I would like them or not and the only 'demo' available is for Gravity Rush 2. Plus... they seem a bit too short.

Feel free to convince me I should if you so choose to I guess.

Yes, get them. Among being great games, they're not even half the price they launched as. Should be able to get both games for under the price of a full AAA game.

The games aren't short, especially the second game. They're all fair length, especially for their prices, but it's a bit disappointing Bluepoint Games didn't bother adding an episode select to GRR. (There's no missable trophies, btw.)

The gameplay will take a bit of getting use to. It's not super intuitive, but it's not super complicated either. Some advice/tips/info:

• (Features/Options) Turn the motion control sensitivity all the way down. Yes, it's optional, the game doesn't force it as a mandatory mechanic.
  • (Gameplay) Utilize and ingrain into your brain the fact that the game has an easy-to-use (and basically vital) camera centering feature while you're falling (Kat doesn't fly) everywhere or floating in place. Some people think the angles the camera is at times is the way the game is all throughout, when it's not. The feature, which is triggered by pressing R3, will without fail always realign the view to straight. Remember this.
  •  (Gameplay) Similar to inFAMOUS series, the game functions somewhat as a shooter, with most moves being required to point somewhere on the screen. However, this tip is solely about simply shifting gravity. You do not always need to aim the centered blue reticle to every single spot/area you want to land.
  • (Gameplay) The game at least offers more flexibility and agency than people usually say and what you see in videos. The game is really rewarding when you find out it can be played differently than how it seems on the surface. If you play the game in a standard fashion, without experimenting, there's a chance your experience won't be too engaging. If you experiment, you'll find out there's things you can do that you didn't think could be done or wouldn't have ever done. This freedom is thanks to the combination of mechanics that can be chained and the smooth transitions between a lot of moves, but this is a stronger case in GR2, which improves the overall gameplay tremendously (seriously), especially the Stasis Field power (that you probably won't like in GRR).
  • (Gameplay) Gravity Slide actually has a drifting and braking element, so while you're still learning how to master the move, remember those two aspects to the sliding. Don't worry about the acceleration.
  • (Gameplay) You can pick up more objects in the game's world with Stasis Field than you'll initially think. (Part of that experimentation mentioned above.)

Lastly, the franchise has a short tie-in animation called Gravity Rush - Overture, made by Studio Khara, that bridges the gap between the first and second game. Additionally, the DLC story expansion for GR2, The Ark of Time - Raven's Choice, is technically a continuation of the ending from the first game. Chronologically, it also takes before Overture. (I.E., GR, TAoT DLC from GR2, Overture, then GR2. Complication aside, I can suggest saving the GR2 DLC for last, while Overture should still be watched before starting GR2.)

Feel like i'm forgetting something, but idk.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

In short: it’s ok, but nowhere near as good as the original due to a huge number of incredibly tedious stealth sections.

The stealth sections in the original game were among the least enjoyable aspects of the game. The game also lost some of it's initial fun factor when you were just doing the same over and over, manipulating gravity to fly around from place to place, over and over.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J_S_R_C_N said:

I’ve been thinking about getting these games as well. Does anyone know if the game controls any better on the Vita? Or is the remaster still the way to go even with some of the issues outlined above? 

For an easier time the remaster is the way to go if you want a good challenge the Vita is the way to go my vote is the remaster but I just liked the bigger screen and not relying on my hanky hands and balance to control the stuff by motion. A surgeon I'd never be 

The remaster is the better version, except if you want to play on the go. The DLC are included on the disc and the motion control, aiming and sliding, are way more precise, making the game way more pleasant and challenges a lot more easier.

I remember trying a certain challenge for a few hours on Vita before getting a gold medal and getting it on the first or second try on PS4. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J_S_R_C_N said:

I’ve been thinking about getting these games as well. Does anyone know if the game controls any better on the Vita? Or is the remaster still the way to go even with some of the issues outlined above? 

The original version on Vita isn't bad, but the the remastered version on PS4 is the definitive experience overall, including the controls (sliding, slide-jumping, shifting, dodging, etc, as well any combination possible with those mechanics, and the camera). It even has some exclusive content, like a concept art gallery, that the original version doesn't have. Basically the only significant reason to play the Vita version is for traveling matters, as while it does utilize the Vita's hardware it's mostly on a standard level: touch screen to move to the next comic panel (optional), swipe to dodge, swipe/hold to scroll down or up on descriptive pages, touch buttons to navigate through options and menus, etc. The most unique use its gets out of the Vita is may'be the way the gravity slide works or being able to touch Kat and make her react (lol). Overall, it's nothing worth particularly checking out or prioritizing over the (superior) PS4 version.

Edited by EcoShifter

7 hours ago, MMDE said:

The stealth sections in the original game were among the least enjoyable aspects of the game. The game also lost some of it's initial fun factor when you were just doing the same over and over, manipulating gravity to fly around from place to place, over and over.

Indeed. And 2 ramped the number up until it felt like that’s all I was doing. Disclaimer: I hate all stealth focused games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

annoying, weirdly infuriating design, sideways padding for later backtracking, and just generally awful. like right now im going down, and down and down and sliding down the inside of this collectible filled shithoole, where 'lo and behold i'm not allowed to use my powers for most of it, implying i probably will later and will have another hr flying around this fuckin tree .  collectibles are fun to get though, story is ok. but it lacks atmosphere so it mostly feels aimless. also it makes me feel a bit sick.

it's just a bit too easy so doesn't require much focus, is a bit boring.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

The graphical design and the music are very nice and remind me of Valkyria Chronicles and Ni no Kuni. But the gameplay is repetitive and boring after the first six to ten chapters. The story isn't nothing more than "super powerful being lost his memory and learns about his powers while fighting evil from another dimension". With my current knowledge I wouldn't play it again as it feels grindy and like work because I tend to 100% games if they aren't that time consuming and if there aren't bad controls or game mechanics which let me repeat things over and over.

A good game as a sale title but not my taste.

• Like 2

Personally, I feel both games have an abundance of ideas but ultimately fail to do anything special or interesting with them, plus the stories are super generic and get very boring after a while. Also, both games have bloated runtimes thanks to all the boring gameplay filler and padding that adds nothing to the experience. The controls are better in GR2 but they're still not great and lead to a lot of frustrating deaths.

I really wanted to like the GR games but ultimately I just found them to be very boring and needlessly frustrating to play :(. The one positive is the AV side of things is good, thanks to decent graphics and a great soundtrack.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

• 7 months later...

I've played it twice. First the remastered version which was also one of the first few PS4 games I played. A few years later, I played Vita version, for nostalgic reasons. Regardless of the version, I enjoyed both of them. While the story is ok and the game might be repetitive, the soundtrack is great and the gameplay is actually addictive. I can't think of any other game with gravity mechanics this good. Soaring in the sky, throwing objects at enemies and occasionally dragging poor citizens to the abyss while sliding/using gravity. Whoops.

Overall, I'd say give it a try. While the original version is easily one of the best games Vita has to offer, I'll stick to the remastered version, for obvious reasons. The only downside is that the physical copies are very rare and way too expensive, so just buy the digital ones while possible.

Edited by MrGarland

4 minutes ago, MrGarland said:

The only downside is that the physical copies are very rare and way too expensive, so just buy the digital ones while possible.

PS4 Physical copy was an amazon exclusive. So it was a limited print with an unknown number produced. I managed to buy one friday off ebay for standard new release prices of 60$ so i lucked out. Now to find Gravity Rush 2 for similar price.

As for digital, if you're a ps+ premium(prob extra as well, i just have premium though) both Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are available via upgraded ps+