Assassin's Creed Odyssey in 2018, no new Assassin's Creed game in 2019 but Odyssey DLC

Source:

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/no-new-assassins-creed-game-coming-for-2019/1100-6461327/

When Ubisoft gave the Assassin's Creed series a rest for a year after Syndicate, only a few people complained, as many had the opinion that the series was going stale. For better or worse, Assassin's Creed Origins in 2017 changed things up, and it looks like Assassin's Creed Odyssey in 2018 will continue the trend.

Some people complained when Assassin's Creed Odyssey was revealed, as it once again is released just a year after the previous game, but as Ubisoft has two completely different teams on the two games, both Origins and Odyssey should have profited from the same gap year in 2016.

Now, it seems that Ubisoft did not put a third team on a third game, and we won't get a new Assassin's Creed game in 2019. Suggestions like a remake (we got Ezio's trilogy in 2016) or side games (like the Chronicles trilogy) were also shot down, but it does seem that there is a big amount of DLC planned for Odyssey that should keep people busy the next year.

Personally, I think this is good news. I loved Assassin's Creed Origins, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey will probably be brilliant as well. If keeping up the quality means not getting an Assassin's Creed game every year, then so be it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Thank god. They should only release an Assassin's Creed game every 3 years in my opinion but this is a step in the right direction.

Mèh, as long as they use different teams for it... Though I think using only one team for AC games might improve the story arc in between games.

1 hour ago, Carol said:

We already have this topic:

:)

No wonder I didn't find that one: it's not even in "unreleased games" but in "consoles".

Anyway, this one is also about Ubisoft's DLC plans for Odyssey.

1 hour ago, Dex Fragg said:

i heard that assassins creed 3 liberations HD remaster is coming the 28th of september to ps4 and xbox one

That would be weird, it'd get in the way of Odyssey sales as that one releases just a week later.

2 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

When Ubisoft gave the Assassin's Creed series a rest for a year after Syndicate, only a few people complained, as many had the opinion that the series was going stale. For better or worse, Assassin's Creed Origins in 2017 changed things up, and it looks like Assassin's Creed Odyssey in 2018 will continue the trend.

Some people complained when Assassin's Creed Odyssey was revealed, as it once again is released just a year after the previous game, but as Ubisoft has two completely different teams on the two games, both Origins and Odyssey should have profited from the same gap year in 2016.

I don't know about that. Different teams started working on AC games from Brotherhood on so those games were in development for years too and it still became stale. IMO Odyssey is riding on the changes of Origins, before milking it completely. Wouldn't be surprised if Ubi already had a team on a new AC game that has some major changes compared to Origins/Odyssey. Secretly still hoping for a Japanese setting during the Warring States era, so we can play as a ninja :awesome:.

31 minutes ago, soniq said:

So I'll just get Origins this year and Odyssey next, after all DLC has been released. Should be a lot cheaper then aswell.

And most bugs will be sorted out. It still is Ubisoft we're talking about, after all. I had a hilarious bug in Origins where suddenly there was a large rectangular texture on an inclined plane straight through the air and denying me to walk through the second part of a small river town.

Personally I'm a fan of the collector's editions, so I'll be getting Odyssey day one. Only question is, do I sell it after quickly getting the platinum and rebuy when all DLC is released and on sale, or do I make it a slow burn? My joy with Origins suggests the latter.

12 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I don't know about that. Different teams started working on AC games from Brotherhood on so those games were in development for years too and it still became stale. IMO Odyssey is riding on the changes of Origins, before milking it completely. Wouldn't be surprised if Ubi already had a team on a new AC game that has some major changes compared to Origins/Odyssey. Secretly still hoping for a Japanese setting during the Warring States era, so we can play as a ninja :awesome:.

Well yeah, but it was three teams back then compared to two teams now, and both teams are getting some rest with 2016 and 2019 leap years instead of forcing a yearly schedule.

Odyssey has plenty of changes itself, it seems. Starting with a choice in protagonist and dialogue trees. That might not seem much but they are pretty big changes to the Assassin's Creed formula. Not to mention the interesting and believable rumour that the protagonist this time around will be a proto-templar.

As for Japan: it should be noted that Egypt, Greece and Japan were the three name dropped settings that would "never" happen in Assassin's Creed, as said eight or so years ago. Take from that what you will.

43 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Secretly still hoping for a Japanese setting during the Warring States era, so we can play as a ninja :awesome:.

That would be cool, but maybe they should wait a little longer if they don't want to get compared to Sekiro, Nioh 2 or Ghost of Tushima.

Is the whole Abstergo storyline still part of Origins, or have they finally got rid of it? With mythological monster being part of Odyssey, it seems like they at least diverged from their historical accurate approach of earlier games.

50 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Well yeah, but it was three teams back then compared to two teams now, and both teams are getting some rest with 2016 and 2019 leap years instead of forcing a yearly schedule.

Odyssey has plenty of changes itself, it seems. Starting with a choice in protagonist and dialogue trees. That might not seem much but they are pretty big changes to the Assassin's Creed formula. Not to mention the interesting and believable rumour that the protagonist this time around will be a proto-templar.

As for Japan: it should be noted that Egypt, Greece and Japan were the three name dropped settings that would "never" happen in Assassin's Creed, as said eight or so years ago. Take from that what you will.

Didn't know about the dialogue tree stuff, I'm liking the new RPG direction this is going to. I thought Origins dealt with the origins of assassins and templars :hmm: ?

Yep, that's why I'm getting my hopes up about playing as a ninja.

22 minutes ago, soniq said:

That would be cool, but maybe they should wait a little longer if they don't want to get compared to Sekiro, Nioh 2 or Ghost of Tushima.

Is the whole Abstergo storyline still part of Origins, or have they finally got rid of it? With mythological monster being part of Odyssey, it seems like they at least diverged from their historical accurate approach of earlier games.

Ghost of Tsushima is definitely a game I'm keeping an eye on.

Haven't played Origins yet, but as I understand it there's still a modern-day story that's meant to tie all AC games together. Though at this point it doesn't add anything to the overall story and it would be better to remove it. But that would mean Ubi can't keep calling it AC to use the series' goodwill. The whole "recorded history is a lie" theme all AC games have fits with mythological monsters though. Origins also had DLC that dealt with that.

12 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

The whole "recorded history is a lie" theme all AC games have fits with mythological monsters though. Origins also had DLC that dealt with that.

I thought I read something about that, but wasn't sure. Could have been some Scooby Doo twist, where it's not a real monster but just somebody with a mask, doing something similar like how the fear mechanics in Syndicate's Jack the Ripper DLC worked.

1 minute ago, soniq said:

I thought I read something about that, but wasn't sure. Could have been some Scooby Doo twist, where it's not a real monster but just somebody with a mask, doing something similar like how the fear mechanics in Syndicate's Jack the Ripper DLC worked.

Lol and he would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for the meddling kids gamers :lol: .

30 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Didn't know about the dialogue tree stuff, I'm liking the new RPG direction this is going to. I thought Origins dealt with the origins of assassins and templars :hmm: ?

As far as I remember, the game made it seem like Templars, won't spoil what they are called in Origins, were an already established group. It's just that in Egypt there wasn't a solid, named, group opposing them. Hence the "Origins" of the group that would later become the Assassins. 

To me it seems like these 2 groups could have had different names all throughout history. It's just that later on it came down to the world becoming more connected so whatever different "factions" there were just joined under the banner of either group. So while the Assassin's weren't a thing in Egypt until Bayek and Aya came along, it didn't mean that similar groups weren't around in other regions thousands of years prior. It was kind of a mistake to make it seem like cloak and dagger events started happening at the ass end of the BC years. <_< Whatever groups were on the side of "free will" and "control and order" would have eventually fallen under the Assassins or Abstergo.

I really only commented because I see numerous comments in many places that don't seem like the poster is capable of anything beyond plus 2+2. (this does not apply to you Dragon lol.)

---------------------------

As for Odyssey, if there's going to be more DLC than Origins and it's as good as The Curse of the Pharaohs then it'll be worth it for my brother and I. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

24 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Origins was about the origin of the assassins (called Hidden Ones back then, only come the crusades did it become the assassins), but there already was a Templar-like group at that point, and seeing as Odyssey takes place before Origins and features some very Templar-like ideals...

53 minutes ago, soniq said:

24 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Ghost of Tsushima is definitely a game I'm keeping an eye on.

Haven't played Origins yet, but as I understand it there's still a modern-day story that's meant to tie all AC games together. Though at this point it doesn't add anything to the overall story and it would be better to remove it. But that would mean Ubi can't keep calling it AC to use the series' goodwill. The whole "recorded history is a lie" theme all AC games have fits with mythological monsters though. Origins also had DLC that dealt with that.

9 minutes ago, soniq said:

The mythological gods and beasts where a thing in Origins and it's kind of side-explained as being mind trippy stuff at different points. Bayek from Origins is also much more religius than the usual AC protagonist, which seems why his visions are rife with symbolism.

9 minutes ago, soniq said:

Would that make Shaggy an Assassin? 1f914.png

Well duh. It's all a front. "Nothing is true, everything is permitted".

4 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

As far as I remember, the game made it seem like Templars, won't spoil what they are called in Origins, were an already established group. It's just that in Egypt there wasn't a solid, named, group opposing them. Hence the "Origins" of the group that would later become the Assassins. 

To me it seems like these 2 groups could have had different names all throughout history. It's just that later on it came down to the world becoming more connected so whatever different "factions" there were just joined under the banner of either group. So while the Assassin's weren't a thing in Egypt until Bayek and Aya came along, it didn't mean that similar groups weren't around in other regions thousands of years prior. It was kind of a mistake to make it seem like cloak and dagger events started happening at the ass end of the BC years. <_< Whatever groups were on the side of "free will" and "control and order" would have eventually fallen under the Assassins or Abstergo.

Ah ok, I thought it was strange that Origins was the origin of both factions, as

Spoiler

one of the previous AC games mentioned that Adam and Eve were supposedly the first "assassins" (for a lack of better name, perhaps freedom faction is more suitable) when they stole the Apple of Eden and started a revolution against the "gods" that were controlling humanity to work as slaves.

6 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I really only commented because I see numerous comments in many places that don't seem like the poster is capable of anything plus 2+2. (this does not apply to you Dragon lol.)

Lol :lol:

14 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Ah ok, I thought it was strange that Origins was the origin of both factions, as

Reveal hidden contents

one of the previous AC games mentioned that Adam and Eve were supposedly the first "assassins" (for a lack of better name, perhaps freedom faction is more suitable) when they stole the Apple of Eden and started a revolution against the "gods" that were controlling humanity to work as slaves.

I took the game to be the birth of what would become the Assassin's in Egypt tbh. Not a chance in hell that in a few thousand years there weren't 2 sides that had the same views that you could obviously tell where they fell.

It's just unfortunate that Ubisoft screwed themselves when it came to the present day because that's technically what really counts. What we see in the past is driving the present not the other way around, or at least that's how it seemed until Origins. It's just that with the different directions being taken with no clear reason why, players are left scratching their heads.

lol I won't derail the thread any further now that I remember what it's about. :P I guess if you wanted to continue, we could go to PM. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Didn't know about the dialogue tree stuff, I'm liking the new RPG direction this is going to.

Do they really feel like rpgs though? To me it mostly looked like a method of progress-gating and forcing the player to either grind for xp and items with better stats, or take the microtransaction shortcut and not have my time wasted.

53 minutes ago, soniq said:

Do they really feel like rpgs though? To me it mostly looked like a method of progress-gating and forcing the player to either grind for xp and items with better stats, or take the microtransaction shortcut and not have my time wasted.

That talk was specifically about the new AC having dialogue trees and multiple ways to get to the end, a first for the series.

And microtransactions in Assassin's Creed were always unnecessary, there's no grind in the games except for stupid trophies (smashing stuff in Syndicate, opening all chests in Unity) and stuff from microtransactions help exactly zero with that. You might get some better equipment or upgrades sooner, but the games are always so generous that you'll never need to buy your way in unless you're extremely lazy.

Yeah this is good news. I loved Origins, it managed to overtake AC2 as my favorite game in the franchise. And I played it for a good month straight. So I welcome more of the same from Odyssey...but I'm glad it's taking at least a year off. Hoping for Watch Dogs 3 next year.