Gaming Confessions 2.0

PhantomFear94

Hey guys, did a gaming confessions thing a while back and it was real fun, some great responses.  As I've thought of more, lets hear more of yours.

I'll embarress myself first....

1) We'll start with a REALLY weird one.  I get irritated by horrible trophy tile art .   It's really weird and a bit pathetic, but hate it when I buy a game, start it and realise the trophy art is horrible.  You know, the image you see when you open your trophy list for that game.  On Xbox (my primary console), the tile art is the game artwork  8 times out of 10, which these days are normally quite nice, and games are recorded on your achievement list by last played > last earned.   On PS, there seems to be far less regularlity and you often see completely different tile art to the main artwork covers, and some of them are dire (so IMO Rise of the Tomb Raider, new BioShock Collection tiles, Until Dawn, Mad Max etc).  My main pet peeve is when lush artwork is forgone for 3 trophies.  

2) When I was younger, I tricked my degree-educated parents into believing that age ratings were given for games not just based on their mature content, but on their stress level in order to be allowed the game.  I was raging Gears of War on the 360 which a friend lent me (I was 12), and when my mum why I was playing an 18 I lied  and said it was because people get stressed from the game and isn't suitable for some kids.  I was always quite mature and am a pretty calm gamer (...well, sort of) so SOMEHOW it worked.   Less so now...because they like them too, and realise I was the biggest bullshitter to ever bullshit, and that it was an 18 because they swear every other word and you literally chainsaw people in half.

3) I did this one an hour ago.  My girlfriend ordered the 500 Million PS controller, and I kind of opened it, awed over it, and put it back in the box so she thinks its unopened.    I do this a lot (i.e. anytime we get a nice steelbook or controller).

Edited by phantomfear9494

Or when on a trophy list, all trophies image are the same. The only thing that changes is their colour depending if it is bronze, silver, gold or platinum...

Looking back at my previous confessions, I have quite a few more to add.

1) I was around 12~13 years old when I got my PS2 and got GTA San Andreas (I played it a lot at my friend's house). In this GTA you have can hang out with girls, and if you end up bonding with them, they ask you to "get a coffee" at their home. Innocently, the moment I saw this happenning, I accepted, not knowing what was coming... (Lols, such innocence) My mom was in the same room doing her chores. Strangely, she did not react at all... (She did not mind me playing GTA because I explained her I knew the difference between gaming and reality).

2) No friend of mine has to know I play games such as Senran Kagura ( @Dragon-Archon , guess who bought Valkyrie Drive?! ?). So basically, I only name popular games they probably heard (Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, stuff like that). Plus, none of them are really gamers. A few of them just buy a PS4 to play FIFA or PES so... Of course that is not the case with PSNP, since we are all gamers and can understand each other easily when it comes to gaming. xD 

3) I prefer playing "sexier" games on a handheld console rather than on a TV, for the obvious reasons. 

Confession time:

I don't know what video games are, I just pay some guy to play them on my account so I can come on here and look like I know what I'm talking about, all the while I'm really only here to give @Ash Williams shit about his constant name changes.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 4

Huehuehuehue 

1) I used to hate it when my parents would force me to play with people coming over who were mostly kids (especially when I was playing a SP game) so I'd plug in a second controller and then they think that they're actually playing something :devil:. There were a few smarty pants who caught on but putting in FIFA was almost foolproof as there were too many players on the screen :devil:

2) I used to sometimes wait in bed till my parents went to sleep before sneaking into the studying room (we had our ps2 there) to play a little at midnight haha and have all the lights off. Or that I'd quickly turn off the TV when they come into the room when I'm not supposed to be playing during the day. They never noticed the glowing lights hahah. 

3) I used to spam moves, aka winning by cheap tactics in WWE smackdown vs Raw 2006/2007 on my older brothers and they didn't know how to react properly as I used to play it more than them ;). It took them little time to figure it though :(

1. My dad is very strict and anti-gaming, blames everything on gaming, from being grades less of A and being single in your 20s to the crime and health problems.  My mum is easy to bribe and very lenient, so she bought me consoles and games behind my dad's back, and I used to hide my consoles with a blanket and keep my handhelds a secret from him for many years. My dad is a surgeon so he was hardly every home, hence making my childhood gaming life a lot easier.

2. I 'm quite obsessed with japanese otome games. I have over 20 of them on my vita. My mum hates the fact that I play these because I'm 26 and not married, and she seems to link it to otome games and moans about how all her friends sons/daughters are walking down the aisle and keeps trying to get me to stop buying these games.

3. I did trick my dad into buying a PS3 by saying it was a blu ray player than could also play games and "every other blu ray player was the same". As he was looking to buy a blu ray player, it worked and I got my PS3 via the bank of M+D!

4. When my mum saw me play FFX-2 as Yuna in her hot pants running through the the snowy mountain of Mt Gagazett, she remarked "why is that girl running through the snow with no clothes on?".... ?

• Like 2

Okay, so I’ve noticed that I’ve got this weird thing with numbers. I hate 1, 3, 7, & 9 - odd numbers. They’re unfinished. I’m not that keen on 6 either. I don’t mind 5 since its like an even half...

So it bugs me if I leave off a game at say 37%. I will try to bring it to an even percentage before quitting for the day. Even if I discover that I hate a game, I will put hours into bringing the percentage up to a rounded number like 60%. I can live with even numbers. They’re mostly calm.

To top it off - most of my profession has been in the financial arena. Not sure how I've survived myself.

PS. Don't worry, I won't even look at the top of my profile page to see the statistics. What I don't know, can't hurt me. :lol:

On 8/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

1. My dad is very strict and anti-gaming, blames everything on gaming, from being grades less of A and being single in your 20s to the crime and health problems.  My mum is easy to bribe and very lenient, so she bought me consoles and games behind my dad's back, and I used to hide my consoles with a blanket and keep my handhelds a secret from him for many years. My dad is a surgeon so he was hardly every home, hence making my childhood gaming life a lot easier.

I see this with a lot of Christian Conservatives, especially in the area I live in there's a lot of hicks who happen to be highly religious.

Went to school with a few kids in my grade who couldn't watch television, couldn't play games, not even play some sports, yet they had to attend church every Sunday and not make long time friends with those who didn't believe in their religion. You can pretty much guess that once they got into high school they abandoned their faith and went about their own lives.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Went to school with a few kids in my grade who couldn't watch television, couldn't play games, not even play some sports, yet they had to attend church every Sunday and not make long time friends with those who didn't believe in their religion. You can pretty much guess that once they got into high school they abandoned their faith and went about their own lives.

It's why conservative religion is cancer.  People wasting their lives on something unproven, fictional and often hateful.   Fine if you personally have faith, but don't ruin your kids childhoods over it.

Edited by phantomfear9494
  • Like 3

I cant stop playing, before I earned that specific trophy I was working on the whole day. Just recognized that on DOOM yesterday / today again.

I started the day at Echelon 5 Level 47 and played through Echelon 8 Level 11 or 12. I got my last MP trophy, but it was almost 4 am in the morning and I had to get up 5 hours later.

Thing is, near the end, almost no lobby worked anymore and I could have called it a day (or night) but nope, I had to sit through and finish it. Its not like the multiplayer would be gone today.

Its not the first time, sth. like this happened, same goes with singleplayer games.

Edited by Mori

On 28/08/2018 at 9:21 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

2. I 'm quite obsessed with japanese otome games. I have over 20 of them on my vita. My mum hates the fact that I play these because I'm 26 and not married, and she seems to link it to otome games and moans about how all her friends sons/daughters are walking down the aisle and keeps trying to get me to stop buying these games.

*snip*

How I identify myself with those two first points you mentioned. At the time, my father was pretty rough about gaming, too. He was always complaining that I did nothing else but gaming, no doing any sports or anything (which was false because I did other activities such as swimming, boyscouting etc...) and blamed everything I was/not was due to gaming. If I was playing GTA, he said I was not mature enough. If I was playing Sonic, I was playing something for small kids. It just happens that 95% of the time he was abroad. Hell, now I don't live with him nor do I speak with him for more than 6 years, so, that's no longer a problem. xD

I don't play otome games, nor my mother convinces me to not play any kind of games... She is pretty legalize about that (she always says I'm old enough to make my own choices and know my own tastes), however she somehow says sometimes that I might have some difficulties later on with eventually dating someone or even get married. Maybe not due to gaming by itself, but to not care about anything while I'm gaming (which is somehow true). But it's funny, because she lately seems to be on a "quest" of trying to find out if I have a girlfriend (which I don't xD ).

Why should I worry about being 24 and not be married?... Hmph, society standards...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

I see this with a lot of Christian Conservatives, especially in the area I live in there's a lot of hicks who happen to be highly religious.

Wow that's really strict! I grew up in Ireland where it's mostly catholic so I had friends like that. My family don't have a religion, but my dad is a surgeon so he had this obsession with education, good grades, money and me also being a surgeon to take over his clinic.... most of which I didn't really do and he blamed gaming for that of course. I did become a doctor but not a surgeon and was pretty average at school and ended up emigrating to a different country (UK) to work in a regular hospital, so he now has to sell his clinic which he blames my gaming for some reason ? .... probably because of my reluctance to work the super long hours surgeons do to have time for gaming! ...  he will find a way to blame gaming no matter what age I am? At least I don't live with my parents now :) 

I have battled with my anger my whole life, and I have made very deliberate and considered steps to break away from the cycle of rage and teach myself coping methods for those moments when I can feel myself start to boil. I started that process after I unleashed the beast and spiked a PS2 controller to the ground and it shattered. I was playing Simpson's Hit and Run like 14 years ago ? happy to say I haven't broken another one since

When i was 15 or 16 years old and i didn't make my homework or didn't clean my room my mom got angry and took away my PS2 for a few days... Once my glasses fell to the ground and i looked on the floor around for them and saw my console under the sofa... Since i came home earlier from school than she from work i played at least an hour every day when i wasn't supposed too :P:D ... i put the console back mostly when she was already home but i was never caught since my sneak skill was high enough (Dovakhiin alike :D)

Edited by Evil_Joker88

On 8/28/2018 at 6:12 AM, phantomfear9494 said:

1) We'll start with a REALLY weird one.  I get irritated by horrible trophy tile art .   It's really weird and a bit pathetic, but hate it when I buy a game, start it and realise the trophy art is horrible. 

Well, call me weird and pathetic, too (everyone else does). I hate, hate, HATE lazy trophy art. I can take horrible trophy art if it shows a modicum of effort (see, e.g., the terrible looking images on Cast of the Seven Godsends). But game that just double the same tile over and over? SCREW THOSE GUYS!! JRPGs are particularly bad about this.

9 hours ago, phantomfear9494 said:

It's why conservative religion is cancer.  People wasting their lives on something unproven, fictional and often hateful.   Fine if you personally have faith, but don't ruin your kids childhoods over it.

Our generation couldn't give a rat's ass about religion anyway, but older generations especially take conservative religion to heart. I know a good number of people in their 60s and 70s who said they grew up under a religious household.

Jehovah Witnesses are one of the worst offenders in my general area.

I used to play Double Dragon (2 player on Master System) with my younger brother. When we got to the last level and had to kill each other for the game to finish he'd cry if I started attacking him, so my dad made a rule that I had to let my brother win whenever that happened. In fact, I wasn't allowed to beat him in any competitive 2 player games when we were kids. After he beat me he'd taunt & gloat over it too. So whenever my dad wasn't home I'd deliberately beat him in every possible game I could :lol:.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, call me weird and pathetic, too (everyone else does). I hate, hate, HATE lazy trophy art. I can take horrible trophy art if it shows a modicum of effort (see, e.g., the terrible looking images on Cast of the Seven Godsends). But game that just double the same tile over and over? SCREW THOSE GUYS!! JRPGs are particularly bad about this.

My friends ridiculed me for it, I don't think you're sad!