Trophy Hunter Codex

T-100

Hello everyone,

I hope that I am right, that there is no other thread like this (I searched). In Germany we have sth that is called "Knigge", it is about the right behaviour in different situations. I asked myself, what do you think what is the right behaviour for us trophy hunters. It is just a discussion, nothing is right or wrong and stories are also welcome.

My personal no-gos:

-send boosting-requests on people who are on the lists like playing it, in forum or who is the last who got the trophy

-leave a working session without saying sth. or to help later

-be in a session here, but not write that you cannot be in there on time

I would say that first and foremost, if you're part of a trophy hunting community, such as PSNprofiles, respect the rules of the site first.

Other than that, I have some personal standards:

• No game-breaking cheats or glitches that let me skip entire chapters (I'm fine with clock manipulation for grindy bits, but I won't use debug modes)
  • No autopops for stacks (I'm missing out on a handful of easy plats, but it's a no for me)
  • Not buying and platinuming incredibly obvious trophy-whoring games (although I have some, not too many, peppered between tougher games, and mostly because I wanted something chill for my brief travel Vita-sessions)
  • No account-sharing
  • I usually avoid online games, but when I'm boosting or playing a match, I try not to be that guy, I mean when everybody's playing straight to win, I shouldn't be jumping up and down in a corner because of some trophy requirement, whatever. I'll try to help my team win while going for arbitrary requirements.
  • I learned to avoid sessions, because I most definitely can't manage my free time or calculate it ahead.

I don't think there should be any issue with sending requests to people on recently played/earned lists. I've personally had success with that in the past. If it's a trophy that the other person doesn't have yet and there aren't a lot of people playing the game then asking if they want to do it with you can be beneficial for both of you. Just accept that they may say no (or not reply at all).

Plus, if somebody is just asking for advice on a trophy I've recently won or something I'm always happy to offer some advice. Had a couple people ask recently and I told them what they had to do to get the trophy, I've no problem with that.

11 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

I would say that first and foremost, if you're part of a trophy hunting community, such as PSNprofiles, respect the rules of the site first.

• No game-breaking cheats or glitches that let me skip entire chapters (I'm fine with clock manipulation for grindy bits, but I won't use debug modes)
  • No autopops for stacks (I'm missing out on a handful of easy plats, but it's a no for me)
  • Not buying and platinuming incredibly obvious trophy-whoring games (although I have some, not too many, peppered between tougher games, and mostly because I wanted something chill for my brief travel Vita-sessions)
  • No account-sharing
  • I usually avoid online games, but when I'm boosting or playing a match, I try not to be that guy, I mean when everybody's playing straight to win, I shouldn't be jumping up and down in a corner because of some trophy requirement, whatever. I'll try to help my team win while going for arbitrary requirements.
  • I learned to avoid sessions, because I most definitely can't manage my free time or calculate it ahead.

These kind of rules (or goals, whatever you want to call them) always make me question the person making them.  I understand something never being allowed, I understand something always being allowed, what I cannot seem to wrap my head around is loose terminoligy like "some".  What does that even mean?  Where is the line?  is every other one ok?  How about every 10th?  Every 20th?  I am not trying to attack you, just curious what your thought process here is.  Obviously you put some thought into it, as you added it to your list, so where do you draw your line?

As for my rules I only really have 2.

1 - I will not cheat.  To me cheating is using anything that isn't part of the game itself.  I am fine with bugs and glitches in the game, but I am not fine with third party applications breaking the game to make it easier.

2 - I need to enjoy the game.  I will grind out a platinum trophy as long as I am having fun.  I don't care how easy a game is, if I am not enjoying it, I will not finish it.  Now that being said, getting trophies does give me some enjoyment, so that needs to be taken into account.  But mindless boring grinding on a game I did not enjoy playing, would not be something I would like to use my relatively limited free time doing.

9 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

These kind of rules (or goals, whatever you want to call them) always make me question the person making them.  I understand something never being allowed, I understand something always being allowed, what I cannot seem to wrap my head around is loose terminoligy like "some".  What does that even mean?  Where is the line?  is every other one ok?  How about every 10th?  Every 20th?  I am not trying to attack you, just curious what your thought process here is.  Obviously you put some thought into it, as you added it to your list, so where do you draw your line?

Like I said, these are my personal standards, so not objective rules that are formulated precisely, just a gut feeling for myself. So naturally, there is no line. 

I could make a case for each one I bought with a brief argument (how 36 fragments was still in a genre I enjoy, and it had challenging bits, how I showed It's Spring Again to my daughter, how Magus made me roar with laughter throughout its entire length), and I could make a brief argument against what I don't buy (Mayo - I don't see any redeeming quality), but ultimately, it's between me and myself. It's like finding a balanced diet without as little junk as possible.

3 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Like I said, these are my personal standards, so not objective rules that are formulated precisely, just a gut feeling for myself. So naturally, there is no line. 

I could make a case for each one I bought with a brief argument (how 36 fragments was still in a genre I enjoy, and it had challenging bits, how I showed It's Spring Again to my daughter, how Magus made me roar with laughter throughout its entire length), and I could make a brief argument against what I don't buy (Mayo - I don't see any redeeming quality), but ultimately, it's between me and myself. It's like finding a balanced diet without as little junk as possible.

But there is always a line.  I know that these are your internal guidelines.  I know that you aren't looking down on other peoples lists when they don't agree with you.  I was just asking what your line was.  You say "as little junk as possible" yet in your brief set of reasons, you have reasons to play all those games, wouldn't that make them not junk?  Again, not attacking you, just like to learn how people think is all.

Edited by Sir_Bee

Just now, Sir_Bee said:

But there is always a line.  I know that these are your internal guidelines.  I know that you aren't looking down on other peoples lists when they don't agree with you.  I was just asking what your line was.  You say "as little junk as possible" yet in your brief set of reasons, you have reasons to play all those games, wouldn't that make them not junk?  Again, not attacking you, just like to learn how people think is all.

Well, there are a few factors I consider, but it's still murky:

• Is it in a genre that I like?
  • Does it have at least an interesting art direction?
  • Does it seem to have a fair price/length ratio?
  • Was its cover art drawn in MS Paint?
  • Who developed it?

I dabble in making small games, and I sort of have a feeling what is a honest attempt at a smaller game by somebody who - despite having a clear vision - can't even afford decent assets... and what is a cheap cash grab that is played for shits and giggles. Nubla, for example is a very notorious easy plat, but it was made by students as an art project, and I can get behind that. My Name is Mayo is... what? What justifies its existence at all? If I can't answer that, it's not coming on my profile. Maybe (maybe!) if it's free, but still very unlikely.

So maybe the line is somewhere around the intent behind the game. It has to have some sort of value proposition.

I regret buying and platinuming only one game, which is Orc Slayer. I have accepted that it's a low budget game with little content, I even adored the screenshots, but when I actually played it... it's an unfinished and barely working game with low frame-rate and game-breaking bugs. All other "cheap plats" I have, at least had the decency of being a working game, providing me with something interesting for a few minutes.

So... in short... I don't know. It just happens on a whim.

I usually go see digital sales with a fixed budget, let's say I have 10$, I look at what digital games are on sale, and I buy something of quality for my TV consoles, say, for 7$, and I'm looking at a 4 hour train ride in the future, so I look at the "trash" section of the Vita to find something for the remaining 3$, maybe because I haven't earned a trophy in a long while and I have a dirty need for a light trophy dispenser, maybe I'd like to see what lone developers are up to, and then I just... pick something intuitively, and avoid things that look trashier than usual. That's about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Well, there are a few factors I consider, but it's still murky:

• Is it in a genre that I like?
  • Does it have at least an interesting art direction?
  • Does it seem to have a fair price/length ratio?
  • Was its cover art drawn in MS Paint?
  • Who developed it?

I dabble in making small games, and I sort of have a feeling what is a honest attempt at a smaller game by somebody who - despite having a clear vision - can't even afford decent assets... and what is a cheap cash grab that is played for shits and giggles. Nubla, for example is a very notorious easy plat, but it was made by students as an art project, and I can get behind that. My Name is Mayo is... what? What justifies its existence at all? If I can't answer that, it's not coming on my profile. Maybe (maybe!) if it's free, but still very unlikely.

So maybe the line is somewhere around the intent behind the game. It has to have some sort of value proposition.

I regret buying and platinuming only one game, which is Orc Slayer. I have accepted that it's a low budget game with little content, I even adored the screenshots, but when I actually played it... it's an unfinished and barely working game with low frame-rate and game-breaking bugs. All other "cheap plats" I have, at least had the decency of being a working game, providing me with something interesting for a few minutes.

So... in short... I don't know. It just happens on a whim.

I usually go see digital sales with a fixed budget, let's say I have 10$, I look at what digital games are on sale, and I buy something of quality for my TV consoles, say, for 7$, and I'm looking at a 4 hour train ride in the future, so I look at the "trash" section of the Vita to find something for the remaining 3$, maybe because I haven't earned a trophy in a long while and I have a dirty need for a light trophy dispenser, maybe I'd like to see what lone developers are up to, and then I just... pick something intuitively, and avoid things that look trashier than usual. That's about it.

I tend to find it difficult to articulate emotional decisions sometimes, but you have clearly put some thought into this and was able to put it to words.  Good on you :).  Thank you for indulging me and explaining your thought process :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fbdbh said:

• No account-sharing

I have also some "obvious trophy-whoring games", I can understand your point and I feel sometimes not so comfortable about this, because only very few ones were okay in some point of view (e.g. puzzleshowdon: i was so busy at the moment and I could relax on this. My Name is Mayo: it is a kind of game which are so stupid that they are interesting).

Especially I feel with you in the last point, I have these free time up and downs sometimes. ;)

3 hours ago, Kapika96 said:

I don't think there should be any issue with sending requests to people on recently played/earned lists. I've personally had success with that in the past. If it's a trophy that the other person doesn't have yet and there aren't a lot of people playing the game then asking if they want to do it with you can be beneficial for both of you. Just accept that they may say no (or not reply at all).

Plus, if somebody is just asking for advice on a trophy I've recently won or something I'm always happy to offer some advice. Had a couple people ask recently and I told them what they had to do to get the trophy, I've no problem with that.

I think my explanation was not good or detailed enough. I understand what you mean, but I had three (less) annoying situations (ps: everyone is welcome for questions on games, especially all my psn friends, but please no boosting requests for completed games). Three different stories I had:

1) on another site, I wrote in the general discussion thread about normal things (no boosting request or so), no one answered (the thread for the game was dead). Then four months later sb send me a message, that he needs help with boosting. I was confuse about this, because the game was completed since 3 or 4 months by me. I looked in the game section, didnt saw that he used the boosting thread and was disappointed, that he didnt tried to find someone in a normal boosting way. I recommend him this site and he found someone here. It was not so bad, what he did, but in my opinion he shoulded at least try to use some boosting threads.

2) (here on psnprofiles) Someone random, who i dont know, send me a request on a game, that I dont played for years. He spammed every group about his needed help, instead use a boosting session. I dont understand how he choose the people. In my opinion this was annoying, because it is a game, where you  find many boosting sessions here and this was so random, I cannot reconize why he wrote me.

3) The annoying situation: On another site, i used the boosting section. I completed it and edited my message on the thread that I am done. Then one month later, I got a friend request, aksing for help, because they were 3 players and need one. I had deleted the game and said this, she was totaly unfriendly and wrote in a whining way. I looked on the thread, she didnt wrote in the boosting thread and the last request was only 2 days ago. I cannot understand why the people do not try it in an "officially" way and then complain, that they found someone in few seconds.

It is my point of view, but I could not understand the last both. If you have another opinion, it is okay, you tell me about your stories or discuss also about this. 

at Sir_Bee and fbdbh:

I miss the ps3 times, where such easy and "fast" platin games needed 10h to be completed, there you couldnt complain about the "value" of the platin at least on time ;p

Thank you at everyone for the gentle discussion.

2 hours ago, T-100 said:

I think my explanation was not good or detailed enough. I understand what you mean, but I had three (less) annoying situations (ps: everyone is welcome for questions on games, especially all my psn friends, but please no boosting requests for completed games). Three different stories I had:

1) on another site, I wrote in the general discussion thread about normal things (no boosting request or so), no one answered (the thread for the game was dead). Then four months later sb send me a message, that he needs help with boosting. I was confuse about this, because the game was completed since 3 or 4 months by me. I looked in the game section, didnt saw that he used the boosting thread and was disappointed, that he didnt tried to find someone in a normal boosting way. I recommend him this site and he found someone here. It was not so bad, what he did, but in my opinion he shoulded at least try to use some boosting threads.

2) (here on psnprofiles) Someone random, who i dont know, send me a request on a game, that I dont played for years. He spammed every group about his needed help, instead use a boosting session. I dont understand how he choose the people. In my opinion this was annoying, because it is a game, where you  find many boosting sessions here and this was so random, I cannot reconize why he wrote me.

3) The annoying situation: On another site, i used the boosting section. I completed it and edited my message on the thread that I am done. Then one month later, I got a friend request, aksing for help, because they were 3 players and need one. I had deleted the game and said this, she was totaly unfriendly and wrote in a whining way. I looked on the thread, she didnt wrote in the boosting thread and the last request was only 2 days ago. I cannot understand why the people do not try it in an "officially" way and then complain, that they found someone in few seconds.

It is my point of view, but I could not understand the last both. If you have another opinion, it is okay, you tell me about your stories or discuss also about this.

Ah, I could see how that could be annoying. Yeah, if it's months/years later or you said you've got the trophy and don't want to boost anymore then it is a bit silly for people to send you messages about it.

I was thinking more along the lines of viral trophies and the like where you do need somebody who already has it in order to boost it so messaging somebody who's recently won it and asking if they could share isn't so bad. Or of course if somebody's still playing the game and hasn't got some of the online trophies themselves (I did that recently for a game with completely dead servers where the only mp trophy needed 1 completed multiplayer game. I messaged somebody who had been playing it recently, we played that 1 game together and both got the trophy, so in some circumstances it can still be worthwhile to make requests.