New console codenamed EREBUS - PS5?

TheGwynbleidd

A resetera user has found a new supported platform in the latest update for UE4. The codename is erebus ( the greek god for darkness). Sony has used other greek gods names in the past (PSVR - project morpheus, PS4 - Orbis), and this hints that PS5 is just around  the corner (I would say late 2019) so they would get a headstart on Microsoft's next XBOX.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-and-next-xbox-launch-speculation-post-e3-2018.49214/page-95#post-12033612

Edited by TheGwynbleidd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Way too soon, 2020 is the earliest for next gen IMO. Interesting find, though.

I agree on this. I don't see PS4 being anywhere near end of life cycle yet. Certainly I haven't heard a lot of complaints about the hardware aging from devs yet.

I'm also not sure, given how much Sony has dominated this generation, that being first out of the gate is necessarily a benefit. Gives MS time to launch a better product.

I don't know why people are so eagerly want the ps5 so bad too early, just don't freaking demand it so Sony won't gonna rush it out the door, a time will come when we finally gonna get our hands on a ps5 and just after a year and a couple of months you'll hear people online asking for a ps6 with 10K and 128FPS, you just wait and see.

2 hours ago, grimydawg said:

Not really.  Look at the history of PlayStation.  If you think about it, PS5 is right around the corner.  It's already almost September.

2020 isn't right around the corner?

3 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

I don't know why people are so eagerly want the ps5 so bad too early, just don't freaking demand it so Sony won't gonna rush it out the door, a time will come when we finally gonna get our hands on a ps5 and just after a year and a couple of months you'll hear people online asking for a ps6 with 10K and 128FPS, you just wait and see.

People are obsessed with new technology. And then there's some people that have the same computer for over ten years.

4 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

Totally. I can't believe people are so eager to upgrade their entertainment hardware for a more optimal experience.

It's almost like they're consumers or something.

Hopefully its not put together with such out dated hardware again like all previous consoles. I know theres an article out there somewhere were Sony talked about rethinking the life cycle of their consoles blah blah at least hinting still 2-3 yrs till PS5. Which sadden me a little but is what it is. Just hoping PS5 is more powerful than my 10 yr old PC.

2 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Consoles are due out about every 5 years or so

last gen went a little bit longer because of the state the United states was currently in, a recession 

I doubt it, the ps2 and psp were still getting games years after the ps3 came out. As long as people are buying, they'll keep making them.

If you want to get technical, fourth generation consoles lasted the longest, the neo geo aes was released in 1990 and was officially supported with software until 2004, with tech support ending in 2007

Besides, the ps3 was only 6 years old when the ps4 was announced and 7 years old when it came out, that's pretty average 

Edited by SnowxSakura

25 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I doubt it, the ps2 and psp were still getting games years after the ps3 came out. As long as people are buying, they'll keep making them.

If you want to get technical, fourth generation consoles lasted the longest, the neo geo aes was released in 1990 and was officially supported with software until 2004, with tech support ending in 2007

Besides, the ps3 was only 6 years old when the ps4 was announced and 7 years old when it came out, that's pretty average 

Its simple economics, sony and microsoft were not going to release their next gen systems (ps4 and xbox one) when the economy was in the shitter, the national unemployment rate was

Comporable to that of the great depression, both companies would have suffered tremendous lose in revenue so they waited for things to get back to normal

Were on the 8th gen of consoles, average it all out youre looking at about a 7year life span until next gen

and with the ever changing improvements we see in modern tech it wont be long until the life cycle of a console is 5years

1 hour ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Hopefully its not put together with such out dated hardware again like all previous consoles. I know theres an article out there somewhere were Sony talked about rethinking the life cycle of their consoles blah blah at least hinting still 2-3 yrs till PS5. Which sadden me a little but is what it is. Just hoping PS5 is more powerful than my 10 yr old PC.

I'm afraid that won't ever happen. To have consoles run with goodish PC hardware, would make them cost easily over a 1000 bucks per unit, which isn't a feasible price point for a company, if they actually want to sell consoles. PC and console gaming are two separate markets that both happen to crossover in the gaming department.

Consoles are the comfort variant, that caters to people who want to essentially plug and play, without having to mess around with settings and drivers and all that stuff. PC is to have an optimized experience, hence why you get tons of options to fiddle around with.

They'll probably try and improve the specs a bit, but I also see the next console generation being sold for 600-700 to balance out the investment. Even then I can almost guarantee that it won't come close to modern PC specs.  All I'm hoping for at this point, is actually getting a minimum of 60 fps in every game as was promised when the original PS4 was promoted, and at least 1080p resolution for every game.

7 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I'm afraid that won't ever happen. To have consoles run with goodish PC hardware, would make them cost easily over a 1000 bucks per unit, which isn't a feasible price point for a company, if they actually want to sell consoles. PC and console gaming are two separate markets that both happen to crossover in the gaming department.

Consoles are the comfort variant, that caters to people who want to essentially plug and play, without having to mess around with settings and drivers and all that stuff. PC is to have an optimized experience, hence why you get tons of options to fiddle around with.

They'll probably try and improve the specs a bit, but I also see the next console generation being sold for 600-700 to balance out the investment. Even then I can almost guarantee that it won't come close to modern PC specs.  All I'm hoping for at this point, is actually getting a minimum of 60 fps in every game as was promised when the original PS4 was promoted, and at least 1080p resolution for every game.

It would easily be over 1,500 dollars if you wanted every game to run on ultra at a stable 60 fps and 1080p

24 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

All I'm hoping for at this point, is actually getting a minimum of 60 fps in every game as was promised when the original PS4 was promoted, and at least 1080p resolution for every game.

I'd like to preface my statement by saying that I'm not tech-spec/hardware-savvy, so this question is to further my understanding...

If one game is able to run at 60fps and 1080p, then why can't all games do so? Because some games are able to do this, it seems that it's a matter of engine/programming efficiency on part of the devs rather than lack of power from the console. Or is it a combination?

• Like 1