New console codenamed EREBUS - PS5?

TheGwynbleidd

20 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I'd like to preface my statement by saying that I'm not tech-spec/hardware-savvy, so this question is to further my understanding...

If one game is able to run at 60fps and 1080p, then why can't all games do so? Because some games are able to do this, it seems that it's a matter of engine/programming efficiency on part of the devs rather than lack of power from the console. Or is it a combination?

It's a bit of everything really.. More power would certainly help, but it also has to do with optimization of each game for the various systems and their specs. I've had indies run like absolute arse, while AA/AAA titles ran smoothly. So it does not always come down to just having a more powerful system. It surely helps though, as the PS4 Pro has an easier time in at least stabilizing the framerate, while on the regular PS4 it often is the case that it fluctuates like crazy.

Here is one example between the performance of the PS4 and the Pro.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

1 hour ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I'm afraid that won't ever happen. To have consoles run with goodish PC hardware, would make them cost easily over a 1000 bucks per unit, which isn't a feasible price point for a company, if they actually want to sell consoles. PC and console gaming are two separate markets that both happen to crossover in the gaming department.

Consoles are the comfort variant, that caters to people who want to essentially plug and play, without having to mess around with settings and drivers and all that stuff. PC is to have an optimized experience, hence why you get tons of options to fiddle around with.

They'll probably try and improve the specs a bit, but I also see the next console generation being sold for 600-700 to balance out the investment. Even then I can almost guarantee that it won't come close to modern PC specs.  All I'm hoping for at this point, is actually getting a minimum of 60 fps in every game as was promised when the original PS4 was promoted, and at least 1080p resolution for every game.

PC power is variable. That means PCs have both an incredibly high power cap and, also, a lower performance floor. You'd need to consider the specs of a PC when making comparisons to consoles. Blanket statements are rarely a good make.

If it's 2008 cards then you're trying to argue that and 8350(the GPU model for PS4s) is not more powerful than the Radeon 4000s(before any of you people started yammering on about "flops") series from 2008.(similar logic can be used when looking at the AMD CPUs)

Yes, consoles now are already more powerful than PCs from 10 years ago. 

47 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

PC power is variable. That means PCs have both an incredibly high power cap and, also, a lower performance floor. You'd need to consider the specs of a PC when making comparisons to consoles. Blanket statements are rarely a good make.

If it's 2008 cards then you're trying to argue that and 8350(the GPU model for PS4s) is not more powerful than the Radeon 4000s(before any of you people started yammering on about "flops") series from 2008.(similar logic can be used when looking at the AMD CPUs)

Yes, consoles now are already more powerful than PCs from 10 years ago. 

I'm fairly certain that the "10 year old" statement by @ERGOPROXY-DECAY was an exaggerated one, and I took it as such. It should be obvious that I'm not actually referring to consoles not being able to reach the power levels of a PC from 10 years ago,. Evidently that has been surpassed by a long time. I'm referring to current PC specs, and I'm not even comparing them, as I stated myself they are different systems laid out for different markets, as such they can't really be compared adequately. What I said was, that in order for a console to become as powerful as a PC nowadays, it wouldn't be marketable, because at that point it  would just be another version of a PC instead of a console.

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

It would easily be over 1,500 dollars if you wanted every game to run on ultra at a stable 60 fps and 1080p

No doubt.  A lot of higher-end graphic cards are around $600. 

Hold it! Erebus is not PS5.  https://gamingbolt.com/erebus-doesnt-refer-to-ps5-was-codename-for-switch-version-of-fortnite

It was a code name for the Switch version of Fortnite.

FYI references to 'Erebus' in UE4 code only refer to the codename for the Switch version of @FortniteGame before we announced it.  - Arjan Brussee, Epic

I hope that if they are releasing a ps5 2020/2021 they revive the PS Vita with it 

myself I don’t need a ps5 I have a backlog that will keep me busy for 2 year

and not the mention everdam time I buy a console they announced a new version ( 1T and two controllers last time ) 

But I like to see a handheld with the ps5 in the future 

7 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I'm fairly certain that the "10 year old" statement by @ERGOPROXY-DECAY was an exaggerated one, and I took it as such. It should be obvious that I'm not actually referring to consoles not being able to reach the power levels of a PC from 10 years ago,. Evidently that has been surpassed by a long time. I'm referring to current PC specs, and I'm not even comparing them, as I stated myself they are different systems laid out for different markets, as such they can't really be compared adequately. What I said was, that in order for a console to become as powerful as a PC nowadays, it wouldn't be marketable, because at that point it  would just be another version of a PC instead of a console.

Of course I was exaggerating a little...XD. 10 years would be so sad and wayy behind! I guess a more real number would be 4-6years give or take. But then thats just considering the original PS4. Pro actually is much more updated which is nice. At least consumers can have a somewhat choice for a better upgraded system. When PS5 do hit though, curious if they will continue to have a Pro Ps5 or not anymore. Or even maybe have both systems on release for people to choose. I'd def choose the more powerful, that is if the cost isn't ridiculous. The price $600-700 you mention, sure I'd pay that.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

4 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Hold it! Erebus is not PS5.  https://gamingbolt.com/erebus-doesnt-refer-to-ps5-was-codename-for-switch-version-of-fortnite

It was a code name for the Switch version of Fortnite.

Really? Now that's disappointing... I can see that a lot of users don't really want a new console. Well I didn't get a PS4 up until PRO was released, but that's how things are. Consoles must be renewed every few years to stay relevant to PCs. If anyone likes it or not, a generation spans for 6-7 years. Maybe the mid generation consoles (Pro - X) will push this boudaries but not further than 2020. In 2019, we will definitely get the announcement of the next generation if not the new consoles. 

Edited by TheGwynbleidd

I do want the PS5 someday- just not too soon.  The PS4 Pro (9/7/2016) definitely changed it up this generation.    Hopefully with the type of hardware in a PS4, Sony could do iPhone style upgrades each generation, with PS5 being similar enough in architecture for full backward compatibility, only more powerful.

55 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

Consoles must be renewed every few years to stay relevant to PCs.

Well, that is true.   Nvidia is getting their RTX 20 series of graphic cards out soon.  While I don't expect a RTX 2080 class GPU in PS5, I think something with similar power to the RTX 2070 wouldn't be too much to ask with PS5 coming out probably in 2020.

15 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Nvidia is getting their RTX 20 series of graphic cards out soon.  While I don't expect a RTX 2080 class GPU in PS5, I think something with similar power to the RTX 2070 wouldn't be too much to ask with PS5 coming out probably in 2020.

If SONY is brainstorming their next system atm, they wouldnt use any of the RTX, that is still way too new. They would probably only consider the last couple generations of cards. I dont see Ps5 with anything better than the 1080s, that may even be pushing it. But who knows, Sony may do something radical and change gaming forever.

16 hours ago, N3xmach-ina said:

If SONY is brainstorming their next system atm, they wouldnt use any of the RTX, that is still way too new. They would probably only consider the last couple generations of cards. I dont see Ps5 with anything better than the 1080s, that may even be pushing it. But who knows, Sony may do something radical and change gaming forever.

I believe Sony will probably do something radical.  With RTX 2070 being 2-year old tech in 2020, it should be more affordable by then.  If we get this sort of GPU, I'd rather have developers prioritize high framerate over ray-tracing.  Ray-tracing costs a lot of GPU power.  I wouldn't be shocked if PS5 had a total RAM of 24 GB (16 main + 8 for GPU). Sony doesn't want another $600 launch price like PS3's I'm sure, but $450 wouldn't be so bad.

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

I believe Sony will probably do something radical.  With RTX 2070 being 2-year old tech in 2020, it should be more affordable by then.  If we get this sort of GPU, I'd rather have developers prioritize high framerate over ray-tracing.  Ray-tracing costs a lot of GPU power.  I wouldn't be shocked if PS5 had a total RAM of 24 GB (16 main + 8 for GPU). Sony doesn't want another $600 launch price like PS3's I'm sure, but $450 wouldn't be so bad.

Even in 2020 it would still be rather pricey, and you have to factor in all the other components and you're talking easily over 600 dollars 

I don't get the hype for PS5.  I mean, sure new console = cool.  But, look at the Pro and the New Xbox.  These aren't exactly mind blowing upgrades.  With the limitations of price and technology the PS5 probably wouldn't be a huge step up from the Pro. 

Personally, I'd just as soon wait an extra year or two and get something worth waiting for then get something slightly better than what I have.

• Like 2

For a moment, I thought about getting genuinely excited about this news. Why? you may ask. Well, if Sony came out with the PS5 sooner than expected, that means they would have to finally do a good price cut on the PS4 Slim and the PS4 Pro, right? And if they cut down on the price of that, that means I would finally be able to get one for a reasonable price ^_^

As for the PS5 *Pfffttttt* At the rate how things are here, I'll probably end up getting that one in 2030 when information on the PS7 is being leaked out at that time. Yeah, that sounds about right lol xD

Now, for a real, a new console would be cool. Technology needs to go forward anyway but I still think we won't be seeing anything concrete and official on the PS5 until the end of 2019. The console will probably be coming out at some point during mid-2020. In the meantime, a price cut on the PS4 would be more than welcome from me ;)