The Messenger, ninja action-platformer, out now on Switch and Steam, reviews give high praise

Oobedoob S Benubi

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-messenger

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-messenger

The Messenger has released yesterday on Switch and Steam. I was intrigued due to a couple of different aspects, so I took the leap and I bought it. Having played about an hour, I think it's an awesome game rivalling Shovel Knight in terms of indie 8-bit action-platforming quality, so I thought I'd do my bit to spread the word.

Now I haven't played any Ninja Gaiden games but people say this is an ode to those old games. The Messenger is perfectly enjoyable without having any knowledge of those games though. 

An interesting thing about this game is that it starts as an 8-bit action-platformer, but at some point it will open up, allowing you to switch through gates into the 'future', which is 16-bit, and the game reportedly becomes a bit of a MetroidVania game at that point.

I'm in the Catacombs now which, as the shopkeeper has put it, is a total cliché, and he advises to get it done quickly because there's better levels ahead. That's the kind of meta humour the game throws at you, mostly only through the shopkeeper.

The comparison to Shovel Knight wasn't just random. I get the same feeling from both games - they are in 8-bit, but contrast to some other devs, the devs of both Shovel Knight and The Messenger didn't use that to just quickly make an ugly game, but these games were crafted with love, and look and sound splendid. Both games are action-platformers that start off easy before throwing you in the deep end. Both even have the same kind of "slash lantern to get a second jump" gameplay technique (for Specter Knight in the Shovel Knight DLC), though I'm now beginning to suspect that it's gameplay that originated in Ninja Gaiden games and Shovel Knight got it from there too. Anyone with more knowledge on Ninja Gaiden can correct me on that.

In short, The Messenger is a great action-platformer that deserves to be checked out.

• Like 1

I've only really read about it at this point, probably wait to pick it up until Special Reserve Games announces a physical Switch release... which is all but a given at this point following their Twitter feed, and the fact they are the exclusive physical outlet for Devolver titles.

Everything I've heard about The Messenger though sounds great and it looks great.  The only downside I recall reading is that the Metroidvania elements (backtracking in particular) are a little more frustrating/boring here than in other similar titles.  But I haven't actually played it myself at this point... for a game that seems like it does everything else so well, it's easy to forgive.

Edited by Dreakon13