Every planet is toxic???

zeptoyocto

I'm really trying to like this game but it seems like 70% of the planets I encounter are toxic planets with ugly fungal caps and brown haze everywhere. I've put in about 10 hours so far, have jumped 3 times and every galaxy I'm in has 1-2 toxic planets and maybe a frozen moon and if I'm really lucky a planet devoid of life with almost nothing on it. I haven't encountered a single "nice" planet yet, or even anything that shows a smidgen of diversity. Not to mention the damn sentinels which come after me every time I start mining for more than 3 seconds on every single planet.

Am I super unlucky or is this just how it goes???

Edited by zeptoyocto

Well I'm not really complaining about the survival aspects, mostly just curious about the lack of "biome" diversity I've experienced and whether it's normal or not. Seems like it isn't to me just based on what I've seen of other's games.

Thanks for the link on sentinels, AJ, that's really interesting. I didn't know they actually were on every planet but that makes me feel a bit better about my luck haha.

From what I remember of what the devs said in the build up to release, it’s not very often (if extremely rare) that you’d come across that perfect beautiful planet full of fauna and flora (like the one they showed off in their first E3 video). I think they said it’s meant to be like how it is in the real world, there’s only a small handful of planets in the billions and billions of planets that could potentially sustain life at an exceptional level. 

Anyway, I hope that helps. I know when I played it I did come across a good planet and I made it my home base the moment that update came in. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, zeptoyocto said:

Maybe just unlucky?

I managed to find a decent planet on my 3 warp jump. Blue skys, no toxicity, no storms, lots of oceans, plenty animals & plants. Just an overall a really nice planet to call home.

Keep jumping further to the centre and you should eventually stumble upon one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zeptoyocto said:

I'm really trying to like this game but it seems like 70% of the planets I encounter are toxic planets with ugly fungal caps and brown haze everywhere. I've put in about 10 hours so far, have jumped 3 times and every galaxy I'm in has 1-2 toxic planets and maybe a frozen moon and if I'm really lucky a planet devoid of life with almost nothing on it. I haven't encountered a single "nice" planet yet, or even anything that shows a smidgen of diversity. Not to mention the damn sentinels which come after me every time I start mining for more than 3 seconds on every single planet.

Different Star colours also house different planets iirc.

I found a paradise planet after 1 jump and then found a planet with no storms, clear skys and the sentinels were pretty much none existent. Remember this games HUGE so don't expect to find a perfect planet in a few hrs. Im at 53hrs on ps4 and everything after the 2 I mentioned are pretty bad. I found 2 systems back to back with only extreme planets. 

• Like 1

As someone already mentioned it depends on what game difficulty/type you are playing. I believe you have a 0% chance encountering a "Perfect" planet in Survival/Permadeath modes. Now you can still find a nice planet with no hazards at day (and a low temperature at night) but it's all about RNG. I mean, planets generate randomly so if you are absolutely sick of "brown planets" I'd say just warp a couple of times.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I played for a couple more hours last night, did 2 more jumps and I found an “Overgrown Moon” which was quite nice - a lot of storms but lots of animals and actual grass and trees not just fungal caps and tentacle plants everywhere so I’m going to build my base there for now.