The Most Immersed You've Been While Watching A Movie?

Crzy Minus

When was the last time you guys have ever felt the most immersed while watching a movie? And I mean any movie whenever is at home or in theaters.

Some good examples are films like Gravity and Dunkirk, when seeing them at the theater (especially in IMAX) you feel like you're in the scenery for how much more epic the experience is just by watching them on the big screen.

For me, the last movie I can think off that I've been the most immersed in I gotta say, it was Enter the Void. I watched it at home on my phone at night with headphones on and volume cranked up high, and it got to me. The filmmaking in the movie just felt so surreal and the electronic mood was very spot on, the experience was so psychedelic to the point where the movie itself became a drug (and a very harsh one). From beginning to end I had that experience with the movie, it genuinely felt like the work of an auteur, because of how unique and trippy as fuck it all was. The film itself is amazing, but I don't know if I ever wanna watch it again for how at some points the movie gets disturbing.

I also don't know if I ever wanna see again a scene of a dick thrusting inside a womb and ejaculating.

Anyways, what are your picks?

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 2

For me it was the recent Mad Max movie. It might have been because I watched it with headphones but it was really cool hearing all the motors of the cars and the drums from the music that went with the pace of the cars. It made it really enjoyable and I wish I did see it in theaters. 

9 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

For me it was the recent Mad Max movie. It might have been because I watched it with headphones but it was really cool hearing all the motors of the cars and the drums from the music that went with the pace of the cars. It made it really enjoyable and I wish I did see it in theaters. 

Yeah, there are some movies I've seen that I wish I've seen them in a different format for a much better experience.

For example I wish I've seen Hardcore Henry on D-BOX. Watching it you can just tell the movie was made to be seen on D-BOX, but I never got the chance to do so.

Edited by Crzy Minus

16 minutes ago, Crzy Minus said:

Yeah, there are some movies I've seen that I wish I've seen them in a different format for a much better experience.

For example I wish I've seen Hardcore Henry on D-BOX. Watching it you can just tell the movie was made to be seen on D-BOX, but I never got the chance to do so.

I never saw that, and this is the first I've heard of D-Box too. I guess that's not a thing where I am, but I imagine with something like Hardcore Henry it would have probably felt like a two hour roller coaster :P

Hm, hard to say. It's a bit unfair because it's so much easier to get immersed in a movie when you're at a theater (unless you have an amazing setup at home).

Probably Lord of the Rings. Not sure which one, but I saw them all within a week of being released in theaters, and the fact that I didn't use the restroom once is a testament to how immersive they must have been. (For comparison, I went four times during that travesty called Mile 22 last week.)

Other good ones would be Jurassic Park, Titanic, and Gravity.

• 4 years later...

The most immersion I've felt from watching movies was when I was a kid. Interestingly enough, this was back in the late VHS era.

I watched the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid, I must've been 6-7 years old. Watched 3 movies on 2 cassetes pretty much back to back ?. I was blown away every time they showed something new. The design of the big rusty Sandcrawler was one of the first things that stood out. Then the "It's no moon" scene blew my mind. Basically, the whole way through I was like: "You're telling me that whole thing is man-made??", "What's the deal with this green little guy? He's so interesting and funny.", "There's an entire city floating in the clouds??", "There's a giant monster living in an asteroid??", "These flying bikes are so fast, they make such an interesting sound zooming past the forest trees, WOW" and so on.

Definitely one of the things that inspired me to draw robots and spaceships, which I spent a lot of my childhood doing.

Another one was the first Harry Potter movie. Chris Columbus succeded in making Hogwarts a real place in the minds of kids. Every corner of the magical world he portrayed was filled with detail, and you felt like you were a part of it. You also felt like you spent a year studying with the characters, every season with filled with its own atmosphere, the winter scenes were especially memorable.

A lot of animated films from Disney come to mind, too. Treasure Planet, as one example. Really underrated. 

I don't know what the last time I was really immersed in a film's world was. Avatar's Pandora was very well done, I thought (when I watched it 12 years ago). Cameron pushed CGI technology to fill the planet with life. Other aspects as well, details like the rules of how this civilization works, the language, the habits, the connections to the animal world like flying dinosaurs. The montage of Jake learning all these things was probably the best part of the movie.

All that said, my immersion while watching Avatar wasn't as deep compared to the stuff I described above. I was older, and was watching movies with very different eyes. Maybe something was missing in Avatar as well, but I can't tell. Would've been very cool to watch it as an 8 year old probably.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1