[Fixed in v1.06] [Guide] Getting platinum after the v1.05 fiasco

HusKy

Great stuff and thanks for sharing. 

I'd be curious (and I guess a lot would) if it could be done digitally as many would have this from psplus. 

It would also open up the possibility of other game exploits that were patched out and never able to be used again digitally due to the way patches work. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

Great stuff and thanks for sharing. 

I'd be curious (and I guess a lot would) if it could be done digitally as many would have this from psplus. 

It would also open up the possibility of other game exploits that were patched out and never able to be used again digitally due to the way patches work. 

Have had the digital version for over a year but only played it for 5 minutes to sync the trophies... then this year it came free on Plus...doh! ... Still didn't get around to making any progress though..... Then the news of what effect the patch had, made me think that I was totally screwed due to my inactivity. Today I went to EB for something else and saw they had the game at 50% discount... so just bought a physical copy, lol

• Like 2

@HusKyCode, I must say this was a great discovery and it should be allowed by this website considering it's simply a proxy and not anything malicious to the game. What I have to ask is how did you find the path to version 1.04 for Mad Max? I realise that it's not just a case of changing A0105 to A0104 like I assumed it would be, since I've tried this with one of my own games just to see if the patch can be downgraded. Currently it seems like I've managed to get Injustice 2 to start downloading Version 1.16 because I found the path to that online, but is there a guaranteed place to find every path for previous game patches? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adam1984123 said:

I'll test the digital version tonight and see what files the PS4 is actually downloading.

As for other games, see below.

53 minutes ago, Sergen said:

@HusKyCode, I must say this was a great discovery and it should be allowed by this website considering it's simply a proxy and not anything malicious to the game. What I have to ask is how did you find the path to version 1.04 for Mad Max? I realise that it's not just a case of changing A0105 to A0104 like I assumed it would be, since I've tried this with one of my own games just to see if the patch can be downgraded. Currently it seems like I've managed to get Injustice 2 to start downloading Version 1.16 because I found the path to that online, but is there a guaranteed place to find every path for previous game patches? 

Yeah, if I didn't think this was OK, I wouldn't be posting it here. I would have never discovered this if Avalanche didn't deliberately break their game even more than it was before.

It's good to know that someone else was able to test this with a different game and indeed you ran into the same issue as me. I couldn't find patch URL for v1.04 so I just tried googling and found a huge dump of package URLs which also included Mad Max. In my case I just had to change .pkg to .json at the end and it worked.

As long as you have physical disc, I see only 2 issues:

- save compatibility - save from newer patch might not be compatible with older patch

- finding out patch URL - in my case, I was able to google it

If you can overcome these 2 issues, you can most likely downgrade any game.

As for whether there's an API for finding patch URLs, I'm pretty sure there is. PS4 seems to be doing lots of HTTPS calls (e.g. it will make a HTTPS request to some update service immediately after you insert game disc for uninstalled game) and I couldn't inspect those since I did not want to tinker with SSL certificates. If you can read those responses, you will most likely find more. It certainly had to receive that cryptic v1.05 URL from somewhere.

• Like 4

I did try the same process that allowed me to start downloading a lower patch version of Injustice 2 with Drawn to Death, which is a digital only game. Unfortunately when I tried to download it, it gave me a red X and told me I couldn't download it, I think digital versions might not work because the console itself may automatically start downloading the latest patch and trying to downgrade it makes the game shit itself and not download. A disc copy comes in 2 parts, the game + the update, the update file starts downloading but the game icon is already available on the XMB. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

I did try the same process that allowed me to start downloading a lower patch version of Injustice 2 with Drawn to Death, which is a digital only game. Unfortunately when I tried to download it, it gave me a red X and told me I couldn't download it, I think digital versions might not work because the console itself may automatically start downloading the latest patch and trying to downgrade it makes the game shit itself and not download. A disc copy comes in 2 parts, the game + the update, the update file starts downloading but the game icon is already available on the XMB. 

I'll test MM digital download tonight. One of the issues I see right away is that Charles only supports 30 minutes of runtime in free trial version and then shuts itself off so I won't be able to fully install the game. I'll at least check if it's even possible to start the download without 1.05 patch.

Just now, HusKyCode said:

I'll test MM digital download tonight. One of the issues I see right away is that Charles only supports 30 minutes of runtime in free trial version and then shuts itself off so I won't be able to fully install the game. I'll at least check if it's even possible to start the download without 1.05 patch.

If you restart it, I think it will let you continue the download, but it is quite tedious for it to do that. I can't say I'm that engaged in proxy servers to pay for Charles. Unfortunately with this, it seems like only disc versions work for the games and online modes don't work, since the game automatically realises it's on a lower version after the download has finished. This helps with games that are single player only that may have had patches that broke trophies, or patches that stopped easy methods from being used for trophies. I've found this and it contains the code for a lot of different games and their old versions: https://xn--xce.cc/pkgWIP.txt I grabbed Injustice 2's 1.09 from there to see if I could downgrade it within 30 minutes and I was lucky enough to be able to do that :D

GShAmiJ.jpg

• Like 1

This will be a seminal discovery because we’ll be able to revert back to old versions of games if we want, i’d  be curious if you can do it with Mad Max digital version too, because digital is also important as much as physical, this would help a lot of trophy hunters if this way works on both formats and on different games!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

This will be a seminal discovery because we’ll be able to revert back to old versions of games if we want, i’d  be curious if you can do it with Mad Max digital version too, because digital is also important as much as physical, this would help a lot of trophy hunters if this way works on both formats and on different games!

The way I could see this working with a digital version would be when a digital game gets a patch, you could then open up Charles and set up the proxy, then map that patch to a lower version of the game, like what you do with the disc. The issue is that you'd need to wait for the right time to do that when the digital version of the game could take a long time to end up getting a patch. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HusKyCode said:

I believe the digital version can be also downgraded. I'm actually 99% sure it can be done.

Once I started the download, couple things happened:

1. PS4 contacted some sort of game master server - this request is HTTPS so I couldn't read the contents
  2. PS4 contacted asset server and downloaded a description manifest of the game - thumbnail, game name in about 10 languages and so on...
  3. PS4 started downloading the game:
    1. The base game is served via "appkgo" route and it receives full preference during the download.
    2. It started downloading patch via "ppkgo" route, this download was paused
  4. My remote URL mapping was still active so my PS4 started downloading A0104 (v1.04) patch JSON as well as the pkg files but it got paused.
  5. PS4 also started and paused downloading A0105 (v1.05) patch; I believe this one moved down in priority behind A0104.
    • I have no clue what prompted this download.
    • This also happened when I was installing from physical disc.
    • In my physical disc attempt, I simply left A0104 to finish and then when PS4 resumed A0105 download, I closed Charles app and disconnected from network.

So in theory:

1. Start the download
  2. Apply remote mapping to A0105 JSON (see first post).
  3. Stop download, delete the game, start the download.
    • It should be downloading 44GB instead of 57GB total. You can see this in download notification on your PS4.
  4. Watch the Charles window closely and make sure A0105 patch is not fully downloaded.
    • It might be possible to apply blacklist filter on the fly so you can relax :)
  5. ???
  6. Profit

Tricky part is: Charles is limited to only 30 minutes of runtime and then it gets shutdown in free trial version. Telerik Fiddler might be a good alternative for Windows users but I have not tested it.

I think this method could be used with other games as well, not just Mad Max. Both physical and digital.

I really hope this works. I can jonly think in Rack n' Ruin and that I could finally platinum it.

On 2/9/2018 at 1:44 PM, Sergen said:

I think you're right about exclusively digital games. I could not go back to an earlier version of Rack n 'Ruin and I think I did everything correctly.

Hey, saw your Reddit post so I decided to post here. I unfortunately fell victim to playing the game directly on patch 1.05. I started the game the same day the patch came out, after researching the forums to make sure nothing besides the 190/191 scrap glitch would stop me from platinum. Talk about bad luck...

First off, I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to find a solution. I too am 100% certain that we either won't get a patch 1.06, or it'll be months. They've flat out ignored me on social media, and haven't responded to my numerous emails. Since you basically need to play the entire game for these glitched trophies, replaying the game completely on 1.00 is just shitty (not to mention I had to order a physical copy already). I'd take a complex quick fix over replaying a boring game for 40 hours...

Unfortunately I can't seem to get your solution to work. Forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think I messed up somewhere. I downloaded Charles, figured out how to set up the proxy on my PS4, and ran the program. It recognized my PS4, so I thought all was good. When I inserted Mad Max, patch 1.05 began downloading immediately and it showed up on Charles. However, the updated showed up different than yours. Mine was UP1018-CUSA00103_00-MADMAXTHEGAME001-A0105-V0100.json. I checked all the drop down boxes and I did not have the one mentioned in your post. Since it was so similar, I tried using your trick on this file and it didn't work. I also tried changing your links to match the UP and 103 that mine had (didn't think it would work, but tried anyway). After a bit of computer illiterate tinkering, the patched stopped downloading on PS4 when I put in the game. Since I knew I fucked something up, I decided to start completely fresh. I deleted everything and started from step 1.

This time the exact .json file showed up! Unfortunately the Mad Max patch 1.05 immediately fails to download on the PS4 side, just like before. I tried changing everything to match your mapping, and still don't even get a progress bar on the download, just an immediate fail. My guess is I screwed something up when I was playing around with the wrong file mentioned in the paragraph above. It seems like Charles keeps the data I entered, even if I uninstall it. I found this out because I restarted the process for a third time and it kept my mapping from the EP file. I haven't seen the UP file since. If I close down Charles and delete the proxy settings on PS4, patch 1.05 starts downloading just fine.

Any advice? Maybe I need to delete the stored data Charles is keeping somewhere, even though I uninstall it? I've played around with it for two hours and I'm beat. 

• Like 1

You are right, your game is from different region so you'll also need to use different update URL.

Looks like it should be it:

In which case the "Map To" settings should be:

• Protocol: http
  • Host: gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net
  • Port: 80
  • Path: /gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA00103_00/4/f_a90fdddaca54f73a9a20e513a3836513a40e70e6d1d2437a832ce9ea90ee0244/f/UP1018-CUSA00103_00-MADMAXTHEGAME001-A0104-V0100.json

btw. I don't use Charles very often and I couldn't find a way to remove active mapping via some sort of settings panel/table either.

Edited by HusKyCode

29 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

You are right, your game is from different region so you'll also need to use different update URL.

Looks like it should be it:

In which case the "Map To" settings should be:

• Protocol: http
  • Host: gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net
  • Port: 80
  • Path: /gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA00103_00/4/f_a90fdddaca54f73a9a20e513a3836513a40e70e6d1d2437a832ce9ea90ee0244/f/UP1018-CUSA00103_00-MADMAXTHEGAME001-A0104-V0100.json

btw. I don't use Charles very often and I couldn't find a way to remove active mapping via some sort of settings panel/table either.

You can remove the mapping by clicking “Tools” at the top then choosing “Map Remote”, it will then tell you what you currently have mapped and you can click on them then choose to remove them, that will unmap everything and you can then start fresh to do everything right. 

Edited by Sergen

4 minutes ago, Sergen said:

You can remove the mapping by clicking “Tools” at the top then choosing “Map Remote”, it will then tell you what you currently have mapped and you can click on them and you can click on them and remove them, that then unmaps anything you did. 

For me, it only checks/unchecks Map Remote in the Tools menu. Also a little "Map Remote" label appears in bottom right corner. Nothing else. What am I doing wrong here?

1 minute ago, HusKyCode said:

For me, it only checks/unchecks Map Remote in the Tools menu. Also a little "Map Remote" label appears in bottom right corner. Nothing else. What am I doing wrong here?

It brings it up for me if I click on it, but I guess you could just try to press Ctrl + Alt + M and see what happens there. I'm using Windows 10 and I see that you're using a mac, so I can't say how different they'd both be in regards to setting up the map remote. 

• Like 1