[Fixed in v1.06] [Guide] Getting platinum after the v1.05 fiasco

HusKy

On 9/2/2018 at 7:11 AM, HusKyCode said:

Update

I believe the digital version can be also downgraded. See my post below.

TL;DR

It's possible to "downgrade" your physical disc game to v1.04 and get the trophies with your current save file and without replaying major part of the game. The save file created by v1.05 is still compatible with v1.04.

This is not a game hack or anything like that, you will still need to do those races just like everyone else, except they will load now.

Before you start

• The procedure is fairly technical and might not be easy to do for everyone. It takes about 30 minutes to do.
  • I used physical disc. It might be possible with digital but only if a digital download consists of base game + latest patch download.
  • The basic idea is to block v1.05 update and instead make the PS4 download v1.04. Once it finishes the download (it's only 406MB, not crazy 13GB!), disconnect from network, start the game and get those last 2 races done.

Steps

1. For spoofing the request, I used Charles Proxy which acts as a MITM and allows overriding URLs in HTTP requests. Go ahead and install it, it's free for 30 days.
  2. Start Charles on your computer. Write down your computers local IP address. It will be something like "192.168.0.5" or similar.
  3. Go to Proxy settings (little cog wheel) and enable transparent proxy:
    1. Ny41IHe.png
  4. Go to your PS4 network settings and setup network. Either Wi-Fi or Wired works. Choose "Custom", set everything to default until you reach "Proxy" settings.
  5. Set the IP from step 2 and in the port field, type "8888" (default port for Charles unless you changed it).
  6. Test your connection in PS4, it should work and also the requests should start appearing in Charles app window.
  7. Insert Mad Max physical disc, it should start downloading v1.05 patch right away.
  8. Watch closely requests in Charles window, one of them will be to: "EP1018-CUSA00054_00-MADMAXTHEGAME001-A0105-V0100.json"
    • This JSON file contains description of the update and tells PS4 where the actual patch files are.
  9. You will need to map this request from v1.05 JSON to v1.04 JSON. Right click on the request, choose "Map Remote..."
  10. The window looks like this:
    1. "Map From" will be prefilled with v1.05 (A0105) patch URL:VQsKiJk.png
    2. You will need to fill "Map To" values with v1.04 (A0104) patch URL: DcZEULs.png
      • Protocol: http
      • Host: gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net
      • Port: 80
      • Path: /gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA00054_00/4/f_e10df9794afb8f99c4be4537f4be04167f1c88159890bec7517933880efb39b5/f/EP1018-CUSA00054_00-MADMAXTHEGAME001-A0104-V0100.json
  11. Go back to your PS4, stop the download, delete the game and reinsert your MM physical disc.
  12. It will once again start downloading patches but this time it will download v1.04 - it should be 406MB and should only take couple minutes to download. Your PS4 will be confused and say it just downloaded v1.05, this is OK.
  13. Once the download is done, it might start downloading actual v1.05. Make sure to block that patch. Personally, I closed Charles app as well as disconnected from internet via PS4 settings.
  14. Start the game, it should verify your PS4 save file just fine. Once you try to load your save file, it might be still installing from the disc so let that finish as well.
  15. Get your last couple races done and celebrate your new shiny platinum. :):platinum:

I always figured this was possible with Charles. Glad to see that theory confirmed. I'm sure many people would appreciate this if they're wanting to do an exploit on a couple of the Uncharted games. I wonder on what other games, an earlier patch would be useful. 

9 minutes ago, Sergen said:

It brings it up for me if I click on it, but I guess you could just try to press Ctrl + Alt + M and see what happens there. I'm using Windows 10 and I see that you're using a mac, so I can't say how different they'd both be in regards to setting up the map remote. 

Yeah, it does not bring up that table ? Really weird how the app behaves differently. Pressing ⌘+Alt+M did the trick though. Thanks! 

edit. Actually, this simplifies the steps greatly because you can setup remote mapping before you start proxying PS4 traffic. I knew this was somehow possible but the OSX app is so clunky I couldn't figure it out. I'll update the guide today.

edit2. I see it now, it's inside the main app menu:

kGsPamB.png

This menu only serves as a quick toggle:

KvsfM1L.png

Edited by HusKyCode

I might be asking for something that doesn't make much sense. Whenever I download a digital game, for example, with 30 GB, at 10 GB my PS4 says I can start the game. Doesn't the same happen with Mad Max?

What if I download the PS Plus game and interrupt the further download after the PS4 says the game is ready to play? Does interrupting the download (I know I have to interrupt constantly after turning on my PS4, right) means I'm not playing with the latest patch?

Edited by Caju_94

3 hours ago, Caju_94 said:

I might be asking for something that doesn't make much sense. Whenever I download a digital game, for example, with 30 GB, at 10 GB my PS4 says I can start the game. Doesn't the same happen with Mad Max?

What if I download the PS Plus game and interrupt the further download after the PS4 says the game is ready to play? Does interrupting the download (I know I have to interrupt constantly after turning on my PS4, right) means I'm not playing with the latest patch?

From what I can tell, yes, the game is initially not fully patched until the download is fully completed.

@x1001x_Puppys Post back and let us know if that worked for you. I'll update the first post.

Edited by HusKyCode

This is amazing. Great work. But has anyone gotten it to work successfully with a digital game, either MM or anything else? As another poster mentioned, I would really like this for Rack N Ruin. There seems to be some ambiguity on digital only in this thread.

• Like 1

What would be the expected behaviour of not downloading the latest patch (tricking ps4 with this method) and trying to connect in an online game?

I guess servers would refuse the user from connecting as he is not updated right?

Anyone tried something like that?

I would like to test that in LawBreakers, however my network is too limited for downloading huge files at the moment and I gotta rush in those final 10 days of these servers

Great news @HusKyCode, the links you provided worked! However the weird thing was I had to switch to a LAN cable for it to work. On Wifi, it was giving me the same error message. I don't know if that was a deciding factor or not, but your updated links worked for me, and I have all three glitched trophies :)

Thank you so, so much!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

What would be the expected behaviour of not downloading the latest patch (tricking ps4 with this method) and trying to connect in an online game?

I guess servers would refuse the user from connecting as he is not updated right?

Anyone tried something like that?

I would like to test that in LawBreakers, however my network is too limited for downloading huge files at the moment and I gotta rush in those final 10 days of these servers

That's unlikely. It all depends on how the server manages clients but from my experience, you won't be able to connect online with an outdated client.

1 hour ago, x1001x_Puppys said:

Great news @HusKyCode, the links you provided worked! However the weird thing was I had to switch to a LAN cable for it to work. On Wifi, it was giving me the same error message. I don't know if that was a deciding factor or not, but your updated links worked for me, and I have all three glitched trophies :)

Thank you so, so much!

Awesome, I have now extended the guide and added URLs for US version of the game.

2 hours ago, HusKyCode said:

That's unlikely. It all depends on how the server manages clients but from my experience, you won't be able to connect online with an outdated client.

Awesome, I have now extended the guide and added URLs for US version of the game.

Yep, I have the same point of view. Will still try to downgrade the game though, achieving that platinum would be awesome 

OK, still very interested in trying this with Rack N Ruin. However, when I look into the list of file paths posted by Sergen (thanks, btw), I see four options:

http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net/gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA01413_00/5/f_af91cba0743a90db1ac3e9a9dbc2e43cebf460b0cfca4f4ca1da8874f9e89c06/f/UP2163-CUSA01413_00-RACKNRUINBUILDID-A0102-V0101-DP.pkg

http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net/gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA01413_00/5/f_af91cba0743a90db1ac3e9a9dbc2e43cebf460b0cfca4f4ca1da8874f9e89c06/f/UP2163-CUSA01413_00-RACKNRUINBUILDID-A0102-V0101.pkg

http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net/gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA01861_00/4/f_4007f8a06b03a4d2a1510db0a21b4af831a518d00d76ce632f98d8f6673317f9/f/EP2163-CUSA01861_00-RACKNRUINBUILDID-A0102-V0100-DP.pkg

http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net/gs2/ppkgo/prod/CUSA01861_00/4/f_4007f8a06b03a4d2a1510db0a21b4af831a518d00d76ce632f98d8f6673317f9/f/EP2163-CUSA01861_00-RACKNRUINBUILDID-A0102-V0100.pkg

Now, all of these seem to contain "A0102," which seems to indicate they are updating the game to 1.02, which is the broken version. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, is there some way to try to find the path to a 1.01 version? If not, I will at least try interrupting the download so I can play on 1.00. That should be possible, right?

35 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

Are you using physical or digital?

Where are you rerouting the patch? Are you using correct patch url?

Blocking the request is also very doable.

Silence patch 1.01 caused a trophy to bug out.

I'm trying with the digital version because I don't have the disc based version.

I can't reroute the patch because there is only one patch, so rerouting is out of the question.

If I block access to the ppkgo path the game just refuses to download.

Edited by Reaper-BEL-1991

1 minute ago, Reaper-BEL-1991 said:

Silence patch 1.01 caused a trophy to bug out.

I'm trying with the digital version because I don't have the disc based version.

I can't reroute the patch because there is only one patch, no rerouting is out of the question.

If I block access to the ppkgo path the game just refuses to download.

Guess that partially answers my question too. Seems I need to find a path for 1.01 of Rack N Ruin. Anyone with insight into how?

Edited by RNumbers

This is single handedly the biggest workaround I have seen in a long time.

I was planning to start this fairly soon but when the patch 1.05 update hit I am considering selling my physical copy on Mad Max. I'm sure someone on eBay will buy it.

Shame. But before I do anything like that I'll definitely give this a shot.

The one gold trophy that requires online is an issue. Normally for games to be connected online you have to update to the latest version, because a lot of developers out there usually update their games on the multiplayer portion.

So what I'm getting at here is you use the Charles proxy to trick the PS4 into installing only patch 1.04 instead of patch 1.05 so you can get those glitched trophies, then you update to version 1.05 assuming you don't fuck up on the challenges.

The update is paused on my PS4 XMB and I'm on patch 1.04. As long as I don't fuck on anything and get those trophies, THEN update to get that gold trophy, I should be good.

What a load of bullcrap.

A 13 GB patch broke more than it fixed. That's quite comical actually.

Edited by Spaz

it's a matter of waiting. i just hope the dev's know what they did and maybe they can fix the issue again for good in the proper way.

i'm still waiting for the dev's to fix another game but it's going to be when hell freezes over which will never happen.

Edited by kingdrake2

58 minutes ago, Spaz said:

So what I'm getting at here is you use the Charles proxy to trick the PS4 into installing only patch 1.04 instead of patch 1.05 so you can get those glitched trophies, then you update to version 1.05 assuming you don't fuck up on the challenges.

The problem is, the "glitched" trophies are possible at the very end of the game once you unlock all of the Archangel cars. You will also miss out on scrap from scrap crews which will be annoying (requires online).

If I was playing Mad Max now, I would do everything on 1.05 and then downgrade my game to 1.04 just to get those last final 2 races done.

@x1001x_Puppys played recently so maybe he can provide some advice.

41 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

The problem is, the "glitched" trophies are possible at the very end of the game once you unlock all of the Archangel cars. You will also miss out on scrap from scrap crews which will be annoying (requires online).

If I was playing Mad Max now, I would do everything on 1.05 and then downgrade my game to 1.04 just to get those last final 2 races done.

@x1001x_Puppys played recently so maybe he can provide some advice.

So essentially you have to do stuff that goes well beyond beating the story. Then once I unlock the cars I'm free to update to 1.05. Right?

How does a patch that weighs in at 13 GBs glitch those trophies?

Avalanche needs to take notes from CD Projekt Red. They made a 18 GB patch for The Witcher 3 that fixed a lot of issues and even added in additional content.

From what I'm hearing all this patch file does is fix one thing while breaking two other things.

As if the glitches and bugs weren't bad enough before this patch file came to existence.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

So essentially you have to do stuff that goes well beyond beating the story. Then once I unlock the cars I'm free to update to 1.05. Right

How does a patch that weighs in at 13 GBs glitch those trophies?

Yes, you will need to do a lot of extra tasks like clearing all threat in 3 major regions. They managed to break some Death Runs and these do not load at all. You can find some details in the other thread here.

If I was you, I'd skip this game for now. The chance that something will go wrong is really high and there is no way to go back. Most of all, the "190/191" glitch is still present and this one requires pretty much replaying the whole game from scratch.

1 hour ago, HusKyCode said:

Yes, you will need to do a lot of extra tasks like clearing all threat in 3 major regions. They managed to break some Death Runs and these do not load at all. You can find some details in the other thread here.

If I was you, I'd skip this game for now. The chance that something will go wrong is really high and there is no way to go back. Most of all, the "190/191" glitch is still present and this one requires pretty much replaying the whole game from scratch.

I’d rather not wait several months if not longer for Avalanche to come out with a patch that fixes the problems they made. 

They’ve been rather silent on the whole ordeal. Shows how much they care. 

If anything, I’ll wait a few months and if there’s no new fixes then I’ll probably just sell this game on Amazon or eBay. Or try to trade it somewhere, doubt I’ll get much on a three year old game.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you HusKyCode for the excellent guide, I was able to redownload the digital copy of the game with the 1.04 patch using Charles. You need to start the download once, do the mapping, and then cancel and trying downloading again. My file sizes were oddly not the same as you reported, my 1.04 version was around 33 gb, but who cares it worked! Thanks again, I owe this platinum to you and your efforts.

5 hours ago, CoffeePS said:

Thank you HusKyCode for the excellent guide, I was able to redownload the digital copy of the game with the 1.04 patch using Charles. You need to start the download once, do the mapping, and then cancel and trying downloading again. My file sizes were oddly not the same as you reported, my 1.04 version was around 33 gb, but who cares it worked! Thanks again, I owe this platinum to you and your efforts.

It's really good to hear that you were able to do this with the digital version! Thanks for a confirmation.

Seems a little daunting at first, but def doable. Just one question. For those who have digital (PS plus) version such as me, am I able to obtain the physical disk, do the patch trick, load my save, and get those two races done? If so, I am debating to renew my gamefly membership or sign up for another free trial in order to get this.

Sucks this happened as I thoroughly enjoyed the game; even the grinding parts at the end. Hopefully they patch it again, but I'm not crossing my fingers, hense why I wanna knock it out now.