What game has the Best/Worst collectibles in your opinion?

Quink666

Some games have collectibles simply because the developer feels the game needs too or to add playtime or whatever. Collectibles that do not contribute in anyway to the game or the story.

While other games has collectibles that gives you skill points or exp, or add alot to the story of the game. 

Out of all games you have played which one had the very best and the very worst collectibles? 

You can only pick one game/franchise.

Thing that are considered collectibles will be anything you have to collect to unlock trophies or unlock items/skills etc ingame.

Best 

Nioh. Collecting all the little cute Kodamas was not only fun but getting 25% more exp is always awesome.

The hot springs saved my life on more then one occasion.

Worst

Any Assassins Creed game. Never fun to collect 100s of chests, feathers or helix thingys for a very small ingame reward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quink666 said:

Worst

Any Assassins Creed game. Never fun to collect 100s of chests, feathers or helix thingys for a very small ingame reward.

How about the Musical Chests in Syndicate?

My mother and I thought it was fun because the closer you are the louder the music was. It was great :)

• Like 1

Best: Batman Arkham Island

I love when collectibles are shown on the map, but the riddler challenges in this game were the funniest imo and I didn't like how they evolved through the series. In this one, there would be "clues" tied to certain rooms and you had to find what the clue was referencing and screenshot it. The collectibles weren't shown until you found the corresponding map, but those were always fairly easy to locate. I also liked how, in later games, you could take a picture of a collectible to get it on the map so you could return to it when you had the proper gear.

Worst: Rime

To be fair, I could put any game here that had missable collectibles and no chapter select/long chapters, but I remember how awful they were in Rime. There are several points of no return and the chapters are pretty lengthy. The collectibles were also hidden in confusing areas that I would never have went to before because they were really useless areas. I also don't like so many collectibles in story-driven games because I often find them distracting and artificially making the game longer. 

• Like 1

Best would probably be The Witcher 3 since I actually did like getting the Gwent cards in the end since I found Gwent to be fun to play.

The worst one I can remember were the Shards from inFamous. They are everywhere, and the more you get the harder they are to find. I remember spending hours trying to find the final shard practically hammering the thumbstick for Shard Sense until I just so happen to see it sticking outside of a building. What made it really aggravating was the Shard Sense ability only sensed shards from a certain distance, so the missing shard you need could either be near you or in another city area and you would have no way of knowing until you explored every inch of the city. I'm glad they fixed that in inFamous 2 by giving you an ability to sense every single shard no matter how far away it was.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Worst

Prototype

This too. Those landmarks were stupidly annoying to look for, and if you missed any you had to go look for them all over again since there was no real way to keep track of them.

• Like 1

For the best collectibles, I really enjoyed Sly Cooper's clue bottles, scouring the map to listen for that iconic clink :lol: Getting a cool new gadget or skill out of a safe at the end of it was pretty neat too. As for the worst collectibles, I dislike the COD intel, especially when they don't result in anything and it's just a laptop there for you to collect.

The Playboy collectibles in Mafia 2 and Mafia 3 respectively were worth going after. However the other collectibles in those games were a chore.

Most Assassins Creed games have shitty collectibles, often a hunt of finding all the feathers, helix fragments, hundreds of chests and whatever else Ubisoft wants to throw into their products.

inFamous 1 was bad for it's Blast Shards, because you had to print out a map and X them out as you went about collecting them.

--

Probably the only game I've played recently where the collectibles did not feel like a chore was The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The Gwent cards were worth going after, as was playing the minigame itself.

I think the worst overall is Far Cry 2, because not only are there a lot of them, if you encounter any NPCs outside of the safe zones, they'll try to fight you. Then there's the fact that it doesn't have auto save, so if you freeze when you lose all unsaved progress, there's also the fact that the only guide that is worth anything is a map of the collectables rather than a video. 

I could very well do without collectables on every game ever made and it's a bit annoying to have to go for them when they serve no purpose. Aside from Far Cry 2, the other bad ones are: Prototype, Batman: Arkham City, Red Faction: Guerrilla and South Park: The Stick of Truth. I put South Park there because a lot of them are only available in areas of the game that you visit one time, then when you leave that area the collectable becomes missable. I never missed any on the game, but just knowing that they were missable was enough to make me concerned throughout the game. I think an honourable mention can also go towards the GTA IV Pigeons and when I played Brutal Legend, I missed one collectable and had to look all over the place for it and that was annoying. It's always a pain in the ass to follow a guide for collectables and miss one and have to re-do them until the one you need is in a video. 

The "best" collectable was probably Yaoi for South Park: The Fractured But Whole, as they didn't take that long to find and were quite funny to see. 

Edited by Sergen

Worst: I second Far Cry 2. I’ve given up on the single player for a bit cause I’d rather finish less frustrating games. I struggle with using the handheld map the game gives you.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture had an annoying one where you had to collect these books, because it never notified you about how many you’d found and you never saw the character pick it up or remove it, you’d have to stand close to it and just hope for the best.

GTA V: quite a few were long and boring but the worst for me were the submarine pieces, cause you were just staring at murky water for hours while moving realllly slowly.

Assassins Creed II: The feathers glitched on me on all 3 attempts, with the first two the feather was missing from a certain spot (the second try was to test that out). On the third I went for that feather as soon as I could but I was still stuck at 99 even though I’d been following the guide meticulously... then on a whim I decided to go backwards through the guide and found one in a place I’d definitely already picked it up from.

Last of Us: The glitchy jokes. A few times Ellie wouldn’t say anything after the bookstore fight and it’d take me another 30 mins or so to redo all that.

Best: Uhm.... the computers from Modern Warfare maybe. I like collectibles that are easy enough to spot without looking up a guide.

Edited by Charizarzar

Best: FFX- Al Bhed Primers... easy and kind of interesting from having no idea what they are saying to fully reading it. 

Worst: Tales of Berseria- Katz spheres. Collecting hundereds of these was really boring and tedious, even with entering and exiting the post game dungeon which was luck based, it took ages and was super boring..

My answer for the worst is same as kittet3's. What makes missable collectibles even worse is that 99% of the time those aren't even kept if you start a new game so you have to find every damn one of them on a single run. It just ruins the experience to have to constantly check a list of missable collectibles while playing which is why very rarely do it. One thing i can praise Uncharted games for is that (at least two of them) have a chapter select and you can even choose spots from mid chapter so you don't even have to play whole chapter if the collectible was on the end of the chapter.

The best collectibles come from Tales of Berseria. I don't think it's any one type in particular, but all of the collectibles made for a very enjoyable experience overall. They are peppered throughout the game and so long as you're watching out for them while fully exploring the world, you'll have no problems getting all of them pretty easily. They feel rather natural for anyone who was a "completionist" before trophies were a thing. I personally didn't have much of a grind left for any collectibles after completing everything else the game had to offer-- and, for me, even the last bit of grinding was enjoyable.

Clearly none of you have played Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God as that game is BY FAR THE WORST set of collectibles you'll ever have to obtain. There are four types of collectibles: monsters, spells, items, gear (technically these are still items, but I'll explain in a bit).

Monsters are the easiest of those four to get as they all spawn pretty reliably in the various dungeons, and there are only a couple "tricky" ones.

The next "easiest" are items (approximately 700 of them when including gear), but these are a pain in the ass-- you've got some "key items" that only spawn on certain floors of certain dungeons, and their spawn rate is entirely determined by RNG. So you might have to reach floor 64 of a dungeon, pray the item spawns, and if it doesn't, then re-battle your way through the dungeon because you always start on level 1 if you happen to exit the dungeon (which is necessary if your item doesn't spawn).

Following that are spells and skills by acquiring spell books. These aren't SUPER difficult to find-- you'll probably have each spell by the end of the game-- but they are RNG dependent. However, unlocking a spell isn't enough! You have to upgrade your spells to their maximum strength for this collectible. You might be grinding for HOURS after you've done everything the game has to offer in order to get all the upgrades you need.

Lastly are gear... swords, staves, and shields. There are about 30 of each (all of which you can find in dungeons by the good graces of RNG), but you also have to upgrade them all 5 times! You'll have to work on upgrading by killing strong-ish monsters in the final dungeon... but you have to battle through about 100 floors of weak-ish enemies to event get to the floors that yield decent gains for gear. Should be fine though because you can just stick several pieces of gear in your inventory and switch them out as you upgrade... right? WRONG. You have something like 30 inventory slots, and you'll want to keep at least half of them for healing items or curry items. Even then, you have to be careful! There are enemies that will turn your items into garlic or peppers... other enemies that make you drop your equipped gear (hopefully you're not near an enemy that sweeps up any items on the floor if this happens!)... and other enemies that will steal or eat your items.  And if you happen to be unfortunate enough to loose your Level 4 gear before a final upgrade, you get to start all over again because you can only find gear at their base level.

Additionally, the story in this game is pretty dumb (I honestly stopped paying attention a couple chapters in), and the mechanics are bad be overall. So this game isn't even fun without having to worry about collectibles.

It's basically the worst. @TheYuriG can confirm.... wish I could find the link to his epic rant on how bad the game is.

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

The best imo are the collectibles in every Farcry game - and the ones in every Artifex Mundi game. 

The worst are the photos in Uncharted Golden Abyss. I also hated the "collectibles" in Ys - Memories of Celceta, because my last plant spot took me about 20 hours to find. I printed 5 full maps to check every spot I looted and i am pretty sure that once the trophy popped, it was at a spot I looted many times before.

Edited by Belphega2208

On 9/3/2018 at 8:06 PM, Quink666 said:

Some games have collectibles simply because the developer feels the game needs too or to add playtime or whatever. Collectibles that do not contribute in anyway to the game or the story.

While other games has collectibles that gives you skill points or exp, or add alot to the story of the game. 

Out of all games you have played which one had the very best and the very worst collectibles? 

You can only pick one game/franchise.

Thing that are considered collectibles will be anything you have to collect to unlock trophies or unlock items/skills etc ingame.

Best 

Nioh. Collecting all the little cute Kodamas was not only fun but getting 25% more exp is always awesome.

The hot springs saved my life on more then one occasion.

Worst

Just gonna say, I like how Tomb Raider and Spider-Man do their collectibles. I dislike Uncharted collectibles. Spyro collectibles is the main part of the game, so you gotta like it. I don't like God of War collectibles (in any of the games, in the form of the chests, though fuck the crows in GOW4). LEGO games can be iffy. I liked doing Lego Avengers' collectibles, but Star Wars is constant loading screen when accepting missions...and Batman 3 was buggy as hell with shit voice acting. 

Oh yeah I don't like Ultimate Ninja Storm collectibles, considering I get lost on the different regions easily. 

Worst of all, i guess, would be the Arkham collectibles. It was done well in Asylum, but in open-world format? Fuck the Riddler trophies to hell....

Edited by Armored Squirrel

On 15/09/2018 at 3:06 AM, eigen-space said:

It's basically the worst. @TheYuriG can confirm.... wish I could find the link to his epic rant on how bad the game is.

It's on .org, i'll link it below, i think @Dr_Mayus also posted the link somewhere, in the recent past.

Sadly or not, i'm actually considering to stack this game since it's possible to use account switching and this is avaiable digitally. May god have mercy of my poor decision making.

Link to rant. My posts are #10 and #11.

• 4 months later...

Not all the Assassin's creed games are bad for collectibles.(AC 4 for example) But yes there are a few.

-AC Unity(800+ chests)

-AC 1(I collected all 425 flags for the achievements on 360)

-AC 3(literally need to collect everything in the game...)

I'm actually not a fan of collectibles most of the time. I guess Spiderman PS4 had some good collectibles I guess.

• Like 1