What game has the Best/Worst collectibles in your opinion?

Quink666

Looking at my list of games, I have very clear candidates: 

• Best Collectibles: I have to go with "Nioh" for this one. Finding the Kodamas is fun, there are not too many in each level, and with certain abilities you can even see them on the minimap, so no need for a guide either. 

• Worst Collectibles: There is a clear choice here. The Hints in "The Last Guardian", which are all needed for the trophy "All Talked Out". Seriously?? 95 hints?? I mean what is more fun than standing around waiting for an in-game voice to tell you what your next move should be? Some of the hints took 30-40 minutes of idle time, just waiting and waiting. Such a great idea!! ?
Edited by Arcesus7

Best: most of AAA games, I love open world games and all the other kind of games with collectibles. 

Worst: the one and only, God of War. 

Yes. Those stupid crows, chests and artifacts: teleport at Brok's shop, changing the realm, teleport again to Hel, Al, Musp, Midgard... Aaaaaaa

But anyway I did it and I'm proud of it lol

BEST: The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

This game knew how to do collectibles right. The Gwent mini-game was a great way to look out for new cards, each with their own perks and abilities. Of course there are other collectibles but none of them bothered me.

WORST: inFamous

The Sucker Punch classic from 2009 was mostly stellar, given that this was the company's departure from the Sly Cooper series they developed during the PS2 era.

I'm going to just lump a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games in here because a lot of collectibles are basically the same. You go around, collect the various collectibles for the trophies, and get nothing of value in the end. They may of well not had the collectibles in there at all, and most collectibles I've seen especially on older PS3 games are just there to pad them. Some PS4 games have this same setup, but gaming developers have gotten a lot better in actually giving us a good reason to find the collectibles.

inFamous is infamous for having collectibles that don't show up on the map. Like most of everyone else who played this game I had to print off a map from the internet in order to track them down. I had to cross off every blast shard I collected and double check to make sure I was in the right location.

Assassins Creed 2 gets a honorary mention for it's feathers, just not as numerous as the blast shards in inFamous.

Best: I have no idea, maybe the cards of Tetra Master in FF IX? Honestly, all collectibles where you are not recognising that they are collectibles in the end are good.

Worst: Without a doubt the 700!! sevenhundred comic book pages in Amazing Spiderman (PS3). I mean, okay...collecting 50 pieces from that and 20 parts of that...but 700? Really?

Best: God of War series

Worst: Crysis 3, Infamous, Gta IV, Tomb Raider Underworld, AC series

Basically:

• If I can't find them without looking on the internet
  • If there's more than 4 per level
  • If I have to do some extreme bullshit to get them
  • If the reward for getting them is miniscule

It will leave a bad taste in my mouth, the game may be great but I'll think less of it in the end

Ok so what comes into my mind, sorry for the incoming long list 

Top 3 Best Game Collectible:

1. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice - Collecting all lorestones . I can never have enough Scandinavian Lore in my life, I loved doing that . Of course Hellblade being a great game helped alot.

2. Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - collecting all gwent cards. Oddly enough I loved gathering those stupid cards because Gwent was so damn fun.

3. Assassin's Creed Rogue - any collectible. unlike all the other AC games, i really enjoyed gathering stuff in this one. The world had a special charm for me.

Top 3 Worst Game Collectible:

1.Everything in AC Unity - to hell with Cockades, way too many chests and NOSTRADAMUS ENIGMAS ( again,good luck solving the puzzles without a guide, unless you are French and from Paris of course ) .

2.The Last of Us - Firefly medallions. I HATE GATHERING THOSE! Good luck finding them all without a guide, I ended up throwing every brick and bottle into the trees.

3.Nier weapons(PS3,not Nier Automata). Love the game , hate the collecting. Especially considering the grind and headache that it is upgrading them.

Fucking Photo opportunities and Optional conversations!. Here's looking at Uncharted 4/ Lost Legacy and Tomb Raider....shove your cameras up your arses and converse this - go fuck yourselves (with your trophy).

Best ones; I do like a good jump...so NFS billboards are cool, and I must be one of the few that doesn't mind collecting feathers!

7 Good Collectibles

1. Any Devil May Cry (Apart from that tire fire called DmC: Devil may Cry): The Blue Orb Fragments actually serve a purpose, if you've played a Legend of Zelda game, think of them like the Heart Pieces, every 4 adding one unit to the health gauge.
  2. Saints Row IV: Again, the Data Clusters are a collectible that serves a purpose, serving as the currency to upgrade your powers, plus it's kind of hard to miss them, big, glowing balls of light can't exactly be hidden, so what if there's over 1,000.
  3. Ratchet & Clank: The Gold Bolts were never too hard to find, then again, how hard would a gigantic, golden bolt be to see?
  4. Senran Kagura: Estival Versus: Namely the Festival Towers, these weren't too hard to trigger and stood out like sore thumbs.
  5. Dead Nation: The Chests encouraged exploration, gave an excuse to kill more zombies and served a purpose, upgrading and unlocking armour pieces.
  6. ARK: Survival Evolved: The Survivor's Notes serve several purposes, upon finding one, you gain a large amount of EXP, get an EXP multiplier for a set time and in certain cases will give you information on what you need to do or how to deal with specific creatures around the ARK. They tend to stand out a bit too, so they're not that hard to find, plus it promotes exploration, in a game where that is beneficial.
  7. Final Fantasy XIV: I'll be listing this game in bad collectibles too, but the good ones being the Triple Triad Cards and Minions. Triple Triad Cards being used not only to collect, but also to play the mini-game, Triple Triad (Which I know originated in Final Fantasy VIII), and the Minions not only give you a cute little companion to follow you around, they can also used in the mini-game, Lord of Verminion, both of which can earn you MGP (Manderville Gold Saucer Points), which can be used to obtain a variety of items, including exclusive armours, weapons, more Minions, more Triple Triad Cards, mounts and more.

7 Bad Collectibles

1. Saints Row 2: The CDs are only bad in my opinion because they were basically pointless, apart from unlocking new music tracks, there was no incentive to go out of your way searching for them.
  2. Saints Row: The Third: 4 sets of collectibles this time, Money Caches, Drug Stashes, Photo Ops and... Inflatable Sex Dolls... All serving absolutely no purpose to the game, apart from being required for a trophy and to earn money, but there were enough ways to make money without collecting these, they were clearly put in just to pad out the completion time.
  3. Assassin's Creed (Pick one, any of them): Again, collectibles that serve virtually no purpose, of course what the collectible is differs depending on which one you play, but I still remember the irritating as hell Flags from Assassin's Creed and the Feathers from Assassin's Creed II. For collectibles that served zero purpose, they were far too numerous and were in some of the most annoying places.
  4. Final Fantasy XIV: Now for the bad collectible from this game, Sightseeing Vistas, they serve absolutely no purpose, apart from the Minion awarded for completing each set, not to mention some are time-sensitive, some are weather-sensitive and you have to guess which emote you need to use to trigger them.
  5. Conan Exiles: The Lorestones, Notes and Ghosts serve no purpose to the game apart from meeting in game goals called Journey Steps and a few unlockables, yes some Notes will unlock new recipes and emotes, but the fact that some are bugged and won't work at all ruins this set of collectibles. The Lorestones only fill in a portion of the game's plot, but give absolutely no direction, unlike ARK's Survivor's Notes. Ghosts are a mixed bag, some unlock emotes, others lead to treasure, but some do absolutely nothing.
  6. Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match: BOCO is a total pain to find on each map, not only does EVERY stage have a time limit, you have to worry about the opposing team's tanks while searching for the 5 BOCO on each map, and finding 5 slightly large teddy bears with bandages wrapped around them isn't easy. All you get for finding them, decals and paint jobs for your tanks.
  7. Yakuza 4: Those twice damned Locker Keys are so infuriating, not only do you need to keep switching to first-person view to actually pick them up, the reward for each key is disappointing to say the least, usually a recovery item or something to sell. They are also located in some of the dumbest places and you only get a short sound effect to know you are close to one if you have a certain item.
Edited by Lady Blanc
  • Like 2

@Lady Blanc that was a helluva post! Kudos to the effort ?

Anyway, with the excpetion of any collect-a-thon game like Spyro the Dragon, I generally like the most when the collectibles are relevant to the gameplay itself and/or are tied with the story. The best example that comes to mind are the Riddler's challenges included in Batman Arkham Asylum: self-contained, well crafted puzzles to solve and a lot of hidden references to others major characters of the Batman universe (that also give experience) are something that I consider funny to look for, definitely not tedious and usually enjoyable.

And then there are collectibles like the flags and the feathers from the Assassin's Creed universe, or those shards from InFamous... however, in my experience, nothing comes a close as the Tomb Raider Underworld's "things". What are even those objects? Are they artifacts? Are they randomly-shaped treasures? Or were the developers just running out of ideas and already planning to reboot the serie? Dunno.

midgard62.jpg

I mean, seriously, look at those! FYI, Underworld's levels are MASSIVE. And most of the time, massively empty.
You have hundreds of these things scattered all among the levels, and the game offers literally nothing after taking all of them. Sure, seven of them (in the entire game) boost Lara's health bar, and that's all. Previous TR games offered actual rewards for getting the collectibles (which were also way more inspired IMHO), like different costumes, objects and even cheat codes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Late to this party but I liked finding the Riddler trophies in the Batman games, and figuring out how to reach them.

The Division had collectables only for trophy purposes so they were a pain, except for maybe the drones, which required you to figure out how to get them after you shot them off the parachute.  Another Ubi game on the worst list, big surprise.