did you guys enjoy these games?

RJP_X

both are on sale for $35 together, but they go on sale often i feel like $30 for both would be my sweet spot. not sure when i would jump into them. i wanted to gather some more thoughts on this series, watching the anime set before the games and its been a fun show thus far. 

Haven't seen the anime, heard it wasn't the best adaptation.

I found both games to be serviceable; they both have long and tedious second acts and a few more fan-service moments than I usually tolerate (they're spaced far enough apart that they didn't bother me too much), but I seem to be in the minority in finding these games merely adequate. If you go in with moderate expectations, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

I do enjoy a good tactics game and these two did not let me down in that regard, especially the second one, as it adds some extra features to make the battles a little more dynamic and challenging. If you decide to go for the plats, know that the second one requires the RNG gods to be on your side for one trophy, but otherwise it's not too bad. I've been meaning to plat the second one myself, but other games keep getting in the way.

• Like 1

I went into this series because i loved other visual novel/ish games like steins gate danganronpa or the nonary games and honestly at the beginning it seemed fun enough. It was very slow but as a visual novel with deeper elements and whatnot im used to waiting through character introductions and slice of life moments while things get established before moving into the plot. The thing is, it didn't seem to progress.

By my estimate i made it about 60% of the way through the game and while i was fond of the characters quite a bit and the attention to detail and establishment of this fictional universe was quite good, there just did not seem to be any plot present whatsoever. I honestly could not tell you right now what it was about. It just seemed like an endless cycle of: introduction of character-character adjusting to the group-slice of life involving said character over and over again. So needless to say i didn't quite enjoy this game. I enjoyed some elements and had there been a deeper plot or something interesting to keep me going forward i would have enjoyed it a fair bit but to me an endless barrage of slice of life is nothing without a deeper plot. I read online that the ending makes it all worth it but i was sitting at the 30-40 hour mark with nothing left but resentment.

So in short, if you like slice of life then i highly recommend this, but keep in mind there is a lot present so indifference to it might not be enough. I don't mind some slice of life here and there but it's very long amounts of it that can be very hard to bare if you're hoping for something deeper. But hey i didn't finish it so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Well... you already saw the anime so you know what Utawarerumono story is. It’s a good game with tactics rpg elements and a lot of text. It’s a old visual novel the first time I played Utawarerumono was on PC but never finish the story because the game crash without warning. I would like to play it on PS4 instead vita this time, because both games are very long and I don’t want delete both after finish the game just for memory space... ?

• 10 months later...