Marvel's Spider-Man Review Thread

Ghost

4 hours ago, LepreCon1991 said:

Perhaps you guys didn't see my second comment so. I said if people genuinely think differently, that's cool, we're not all wired the same. My comment was in reference to those who only dislike it because it's popular and acclaimed and feel they have to talk shit just because. I welcome genuine critiques and differing opinions, I certainly don't think everybody should like the same things I like, not trying to start beef like an immature fanboy, sorry if that's how the comment read.

It's not how your comment read to me (and I read it before posting), I just felt like adding a bit. Hating for the sake of hating isn't good, but I've noticed that it's very easy for fans of a game these days to just pretend anyone who didn't like their favourite game is a troll.

4 hours ago, Feral said:

Lol I will agree with there being practically no tombs but still I really liked Rise. Besides Shadow looks so bloody cool.

Might end up getting Spidey day one depending on how long it takes to finish.

I don't recall where I read it but I've read that Spider-Man should take about 35-40 hours to get the platinum. So, 15-20 hours just for the main game, I guess?

I strongly disliked Rise because so many reviewers praised it as being closer to traditional Tomb Raider games that I actually became interested... And then it had a 'classic' Tomb Raider prologue, but after that instantly became a carbon copy of the first reboot game.

I really enjoyed the older Tomb Raider games but just like the first two to three Uncharted games, the reboot Tomb Raider games are too much shooty shooty, not enough tomb raiding for me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

It's not how your comment read to me (and I read it before posting), I just felt like adding a bit. Hating for the sake of hating isn't good, but I've noticed that it's very easy for fans of a game these days to just pretend anyone who didn't like their favourite game is a troll.

Totally agree, it's essentially the inverse of what I was talking about. In fact to be honest those insane fanboys you mentioned are probably even worse than haters since they can't accept other opinions at all. Treating people shitty for not liking the things you like is so very uncool. Perhaps I should balance my previous comment by also saying that I can't wait for all the "This is teh best gaem evar/ Fuck the haters/ Salty trolls/ You wouldn't know a good game if it hit you in the face" threads, which are just as asinine if not more so.

Edited by LepreCon1991
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, LepreCon1991 said:

In fact to be honest those insane fanboys you mentioned are probably even worse than haters since they can't accept other opinions at all.

Derailing a little bit, but I couldn't disagree more.  There's no more value in irrational hate than there is in irrational love, and both sides can't accept other opinions.  It's just the people who hate anything even remotely popular tend to have this righteous authority about them for being one of the select few "smart enough" to see what everyone else is missing.  In other words, they're douchebags.

I'd rather hang out with people who play and talk about the games they love, even excessively so and even if I don't like those games, than people who go out of their way to dwell on the things they hate.  I can't begin to comprehend why the gaming community has flocked to the latter.

EDIT: And before anyone says the fanboys outweigh the haters, literally read any comment section on any article on any gaming/social media site.  I mean, if you don't reconsider that stance after about 5 minutes... xD If you (the general 'you') are somehow running into too many fanboys, maybe you're spending too much time (and probably talking shit) in threads and forums dedicated to things you don't like.  I suggest a lifestyle tweak. 

Edited by Dreakon13

25 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Derailing a little bit, but I couldn't disagree more.  There's no more value in irrational hate than there is in irrational love, and both sides can't accept other opinions.  It's just the people who hate anything even remotely popular tend to have this righteous authority about them for being one of the select few "smart enough" to see what everyone else is missing.  In other words, they're douchebags.

I'd rather hang out with people who play and talk about the games they love, even excessively so and even if I don't like those games, than people who go out of their way to dwell on the things they hate.  I can't begin to comprehend why the gaming community has flocked to the latter.

EDIT: And before anyone says the fanboys outweigh the haters, literally read any comment section on any article on any gaming/social media site.  I mean, if you don't reconsider that stance after about 5 minutes... xD If you (the general 'you') are somehow running into too many fanboys, maybe you're spending too much time (and probably talking shit) in threads and forums dedicated to things you don't like.  I suggest a lifestyle tweak. 

You're probably right. I try to avoid both sides anyway since they both only contribute to the toxicity of our culture of gaming

2 hours ago, LepreCon1991 said:

Totally agree, it's essentially the inverse of what I was talking about. In fact to be honest those insane fanboys you mentioned are probably even worse than haters since they can't accept other opinions at all. Treating people shitty for not liking the things you like is so very uncool. Perhaps I should balance my previous comment by also saying that I can't wait for all the "This is teh best gaem evar/ Fuck the haters/ Salty trolls/ You wouldn't know a good game if it hit you in the face" threads, which are just as asinine if not more so.

I'm not sure which I find more annoying, blind love or blind hate. I tend to play devil's advocate whenever I see either. I recall once when I was arguing against TLOU being perfect, highlighting the bland combat and "we're too artsy to use regular zombies but really they're just zombies" attitude, while in another thread at the same time I was arguing against TLOU being garbage, highlighting its excellent presentation.

Anyways, opinions.

I'm hesitant to get Spider-Man day one, fearing another God Of War like disappointment, I think I'll trade Assassin's Creed Odyssey for it once completing that one.

16 hours ago, Feral said:

Well this is making the decision between getting this day one and Tomb Raider day one very hard.

Got a friend that chose Destiny 2 over Spider-Man

giphy.gif

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, PhantomBlade19 said:

Trust me, get both. Just don't tell your wallet...

Ha ha ha ha, the poor wallet will die.

5 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

I don't recall where I read it but I've read that Spider-Man should take about 35-40 hours to get the platinum. So, 15-20 hours just for the main game, I guess?

I strongly disliked Rise because so many reviewers praised it as being closer to traditional Tomb Raider games that I actually became interested... And then it had a 'classic' Tomb Raider prologue, but after that instantly became a carbon copy of the first reboot game.

I really enjoyed the older Tomb Raider games but just like the first two to three Uncharted games, the reboot Tomb Raider games are too much shooty shooty, not enough tomb raiding for me.

That's not too bad, could finish it in a weekend. You're swaying me a lot.

Fair enough, I can definitely see why you didn't like it then. I'd probably agree with you about Rise if I'd played more of the first reboot.

Those side piece challenge tombs don't make up for the lack of tombs in the main game either hey. The old Tomb Raider games are classics.

29 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Got a friend that chose Destiny 2 over Spider-Man

giphy.gif

Mate, you are friends with a crazy person lol.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Speaking as someone who has gotten crap for having the opinions that the new God Of War was slow and boring and that The Last Of Us was decent but very overrated, I feel like people who have an opinion that differs from the masses get too much crap (to the point of indeed being accused of never having played the game, which might be true for some trolls but won't be true for all negative opinions), and fans of a game who refuse to acknowledge that any criticism of the game at all can be justified don't get enough crap. 

Got your back on that one Billy, tbh the whole time with this thing leading up to release I've been sitting here thinking it looks like more of Amazing Spider-Man 2. And I actually 100GS'd the 360 version (which overall is like my 7th time platinuming/1000GS'ing the game) a week or so back in anticipation, so it's not like I'm remembering the game wrong. This new Spidey looks way better story wise, but gameplay wise it looks like Amazing Spider-Man 2.5 and EVERYONE bagged out that game, I was on the fence about somethings and genuinely despised some parts of it, but it's interesting to see how some people who absolutely ripped that game a new asshole have come around to say this one's amazing. Let's see how I feel tomorrow when I'm finally playing it.

But tbh I wouldn't be surprised if I end up like you with God of War, saying that it's not 100% super mega perfect, only to get my head ripped off.

Also I thought Last of Us was VERY overrated too, while we're on it. Absolutely no interest in number 2. I thought RDR was overrated as well, but I can stop and look at that as being a fantastic game, Last of Us was just an okay movie stretched into a way longer than it needed to be game. Fight me, internet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Feral said:

That's not too bad, could finish it in a weekend. You're swaying me a lot.

Fair enough, I can definitely see why you didn't like it then. I'd probably agree with you about Rise if I'd played more of the first reboot.

Those side piece challenge tombs don't make up for the lack of tombs in the main game either hey. The old Tomb Raider games are classics.

I'm tempted to get Spider-Man myself but I think it's better for me to wait a bit and get it cheaper (used maybe) after my busy October (Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Starlink Battle For Atlas, possibly Super Mario Party, possibly Red Dead Redemption II).

Yeah I would've wnjoyed Rise a lot more if I hadn't played the first game twice already. I will probably play Shadow at some point but I'm not biting for the new price this time.

I loved the Crystal Dynamics trilogy - TR Anniversary, TR Legend, TR Underworld. TR Anniversary is a remake done right.

42 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Got your back on that one Billy, tbh the whole time with this thing leading up to release I've been sitting here thinking it looks like more of Amazing Spider-Man 2. And I actually 100GS'd the 360 version (which overall is like my 7th time platinuming/1000GS'ing the game) a week or so back in anticipation, so it's not like I'm remembering the game wrong. This new Spidey looks way better story wise, but gameplay wise it looks like Amazing Spider-Man 2.5 and EVERYONE bagged out that game, I was on the fence about somethings and genuinely despised some parts of it, but it's interesting to see how some people who absolutely ripped that game a new asshole have come around to say this one's amazing. Let's see how I feel tomorrow when I'm finally playing it.

But tbh I wouldn't be surprised if I end up like you with God of War, saying that it's not 100% super mega perfect, only to get my head ripped off.

Also I thought Last of Us was VERY overrated too, while we're on it. Absolutely no interest in number 2. I thought RDR was overrated as well, but I can stop and look at that as being a fantastic game, Last of Us was just an okay movie stretched into a way longer than it needed to be game. Fight me, internet.

As @LepreCon1991 and I discussed, it's very annoying when people refuse to accept any criticism as being genuine.

Good to know you're playing Spider-Man day one, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, though I could have guessed. I'll play the game eventually but I'll definitely use your opinion as one of the ways of determining how much I'm willing to pay for it.

Edited by Ash Williams
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Someone took this picture using photo mode 1f632.png

78s0ipzsifk11.jpg

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, TheDarkBlade9 said:

Great scores!

Found a pic in reddit that someone took with some of the trophies... I hope they will release the full list already.

40904778_10217796865138093_4380461703813

Am I the only person that finds it weird that the platinum name is different? I mean we can see the trophy list now and it isn't "Does Whatever a Spider Can". The other trophies listed there are correct though. How strange.

I really love that they kept "Superior Spider-Man" as a trophy title. Fun fact, I only got into trophy hunting / achievement hunting because I enjoyed when developers were creative with the word play. Bonus points when the trophy images themselves are fantastic.

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Am I the only person that finds it weird that the platinum name is different? I mean we can see the trophy list now and it isn't "Does Whatever a Spider Can". The other trophies listed there are correct though. How strange.

That's dumb. "Does Whatever A Spider Can" is the most brilliant Spider-Man platinum name ever.

12 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I really love that they kept "Superior Spider-Man" as a trophy title. Fun fact, I only got into trophy hunting / achievement hunting because I enjoyed when developers were creative with the word play. Bonus points when the trophy images themselves are fantastic.

I recall Alan Wake on the X360 having a lot of fun with achievement descriptions before/after unlocking.

Also, Portal 2 had a bunch of the funniest trophies ever. Like Pit Boss, or Lunacy, and especially The Part Where He Kills You.

I'm just glad the Spider-Man trophy list has 100% district completion. I get annoyed when sandbox games have useless filler trophies, then don't make people do all missions or stuff in the game. Like with a bunch of the later Assassin's Creed games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

giphy.gif

Shit, my bad. This is the source. The guy used a filter called High Action. The quality of the picture could have looked better too (his share settings was set at JPG.)

I'm guessing the reason why the platinum name is different could be the region. Someone in Russia got the platinum and it translated to "Does whatever a spider can"

or maybe a patch changed the name? ?

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

On 4 September 2018 at 10:46 PM, marvelboy10 said:

Great reviews, no difficulty related trophies, MCU iron spider suit, not a difficult platinum, and much more. I said I was going to get this on my birthday but now I'm having second thoughts. 

This is why Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel hero. 

Insomniac games, I hope those reviews aren't lying.  

All Spider-Man games have been pants spider man vs venom on ps2 was by far the best one in the series, if not the original from the mega drive. Spider-Man just don't have the dark and grety city of the batman series, I'm not a fan of super Heros in the slightest but the batman games are just amazing, but spider man does look good, but then again so did dead space 3 max pain 3 prototype series and we all no how they turned out. I think it's best you wait a week or two befor release and see how it pans out.

On 5 September 2018 at 3:46 PM, FranciRoosters said:

Once you've played Unravel 2 you have my attention.

Is unravel 2 any good? I actually enjoyed the first game, but now I see there's a blue charcter somethings telling me to back off.

34 minutes ago, afc-razor-84 said:

All Spider-Man games have been pants spider man vs venom on ps2 was by far the best one in the series, if not the original from the mega drive. Spider-Man just don't have the dark and grety city of the batman series, I'm not a fan of super Heros in the slightest but the batman games are just amazing, but spider man does look good, but then again so did dead space 3 max pain 3 prototype series and we all no how they turned out. I think it's best you wait a week or two befor release and see how it pans out.

Is unravel 2 any good? I actually enjoyed the first game, but now I see there's a blue charcter somethings telling me to back off.

Unravel is beautiful! But you're in for some trophies that will make you rue the day you bought it.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 7:14 AM, Valyrious said:

I personally wish the platinum was really hard. Beat the game 2+ times, one on "hardest" difficulty, one on NG+. As well as other specific challenges.

The one nice thing about the Arkham games is that they're generally not for the casuals. This game, trophies wise at least, is definitely casual friendly. Which is fine if you're Angry Joe and just want to play the game on Easy. 

Leave mah boy angry joe alone! I dont understand why people have to be obsessed and be butthurt about a trophy list is being easy or hard.

I'd rather have a great game like this and not care at all about the trophy list then have a bad game and an easy list! And this is coming from an easy trophy whore that dislikes marvel games! I dont think a superhero could ever be better then this

On 05/09/2018 at 7:34 AM, Feral said:

Well this is making the decision between getting this day one and Tomb Raider day one very hard.

I caved and got Spider-Man, partly because the game shop here would give me a €40 discount after me parting with The Crew 2 and LEGO Dimensions.

I can say now that the game exceeds my expectations. Not the pinnacle of superhero gaming some reviewers claim it to be (I still think that honour lies with the Arkham trilogy), but it's very entertaining so far.

On 05/09/2018 at 7:14 AM, Valyrious said:

I personally wish the platinum was really hard. Beat the game 2+ times, one on "hardest" difficulty, one on NG+. As well as other specific challenges.

The one nice thing about the Arkham games is that they're generally not for the casuals. This game, trophies wise at least, is definitely casual friendly. Which is fine if you're Angry Joe and just want to play the game on Easy. 

Wait, what? I just did a double take after reading that line. How are the Arkham games not casual-friendly? And how would them not being for casuals be a good thing about the game?

Also, what's wrong with people who want to play a game on easy?

3 minutes ago, ZireaelReviews said:

Leave mah boy angry joe alone! I dont understand why people have to be obsessed and be butthurt about a trophy list is being easy or hard.

I'd rather have a great game like this and not care at all about the trophy list then have a bad game and an easy list! And this is coming from an easy trophy whore that dislikes marvel games! I dont think a superhero could ever be better then this

Well, people have to be butthurt about something. It's the internet, after all.

Also, yeah, trophy lists shouldn't really bring down enjoyment of a game. I'll see after playing through the story if I'm willing to go for the platinum. All those stupid multiplayer trophies The Last Of Us had (compared to just a couple of single plsyer trophies) didn't stop me from playing that one either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash Williams said:

I caved and got Spider-Man, partly because the game shop here would give me a €40 discount after me parting with The Crew 2 and LEGO Dimensions.

I can say now that the game exceeds my expectations. Not the pinnacle of superhero gaming some reviewers claim it to be (I still think that honour lies with the Arkham trilogy), but it's very entertaining so far.

Wait, what? I just did a double take after reading that line. How are the Arkham games not casual-friendly? And how would them not being for casuals be a good thing about the game?

Also, what's wrong with people who want to play a game on easy?

Well, people have to be butthurt about something. It's the internet, after all.

Also, yeah, trophy lists shouldn't really bring down enjoyment of a game. I'll see after playing through the story if I'm willing to go for the platinum. All those stupid multiplayer trophies The Last Of Us had (compared to just a couple of single plsyer trophies) didn't stop me from playing that one either.

Basicly yeah, oh my god did you just say the last of us? Oh my god that game is so shit because i can not colour my gun to pink like in call of duty /s

I mean people complaining about trophies and we are on a trophy hunting site, but c'mon man xd....

5 minutes ago, ZireaelReviews said:

Basicly yeah, oh my god did you just say the last of us? Oh my god that game is so shit because i can not colour my gun to pink like in call of duty /s

I mean people complaining about trophies and we are on a trophy hunting site, but c'mon man xd....

I'd say we're on a gaming forum that is linked to a trophy site. Yes the site contains a higher than average percentage of hunters in the gamers, but there's still plenty of people (like myself) who stopped caring about trophies, and just want to discuss the games themselves.

Anyway, now that I'm actually playing Spider-Man, from what I've seen the trophy list seems very balanced. I don't seem to have gotten a trophy for every fart I did (like one trophy for every mission or for a 20x combo or stuff like that), so there's probably a good balance between gradual and endgame trophies. If I had to pick a favourite type of trophy list, it would probably look a bit like this. Ubisoft, take a lesson for the next Assassin's Creed game.