Gwendly

THQ Nordic aquires Kingdoms of Amalur IP

62 posts in this topic

I'm glad another studio acquired the IP. I liked Kingdoms of Amalur and would like to see a sequel.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is on my list of games to buy at some point, but if it does come to the PS4 I may just wait. I've heard good things about the game so maybe a remaster might influence a possible sequel. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw this on another site and I'm freaking out. I'll start dusting off my chakrams...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, one of my favourite 360 games! Recently acquired a copy on my PS3 but a PS4 remaster would be really cool as well! Didn't even nearly get the amount of love and attention it deserved, almost everyone who did play it that I know of says it was brilliant. Would be great if THQ Nordic can deliver a faithful sequel.

Edited by LepreCon1991
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gwendly said:

 

PS4/X1/Switch remaster incoming perhaps? 

 

oh pretty please. Can we have a remastered version :wub:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard a lot of good things about this game. Will pick it up if they decide to bring it to PS4.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty neat. I've always wanted to try this game at some point. A remaster in the future looks bright.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, one of my favourite RPGs! I hope the sequel will be a regular single player game like the first one and not an MMO like they were talking about back in the day.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank God. I was going to replay this on PS3 (played it on 360 back in the day), hopefully they make a remaster and then a sequel. I loved KOA.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, that game created by a Boston Red Socks player that ended up costing the state of Rhode Island millions of dollars when it failed to sell well enough.

 

For anyone who didn't know, a baseball player got a loan from the state of Rhode Island to make this game. So it was created with taxpayer money that the company couldn't pay back when it failed. So Rhode Island actually owned the IP and all of the studio assets for years. 

 

Definitely one of the weirder stories in video game history. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

Oh yeah, that game created by a Boston Red Socks player that ended up costing the state of Rhode Island millions of dollars when it failed to sell well enough.

 

For anyone who didn't know, a baseball player got a loan from the state of Rhode Island to make this game. So it was created with taxpayer money that the company couldn't pay back when it failed. So Rhode Island actually owned the IP and all of the studio assets for years. 

 

Definitely one of the weirder stories in video game history. 

 

Interesting, didn't know that. How did he managed to convince the state of Rhode Island to give him a loan for that?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Interesting, didn't know that. How did he managed to convince the state of Rhode Island to give him a loan for that?


"The idea was to entice 38 Studios to Rhode Island with a loan guarantee as part of a new state initiative created to help bring new jobs to Rhode Island. The deal would have the state signing on as a guarantor on a $75 million loan. In exchange, 38 Studios would relocate to Rhode Island and over the course of three years create 450 new jobs."

 

There's a pretty good article about the whole thing here.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Interesting, didn't know that. How did he managed to convince the state of Rhode Island to give him a loan for that?

Per Wikipedia.  They promised jobs for the share.  The player is Curt Schilling, pretty fsmous baseball player with the Boston Red Sox

 

In July 2010, the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation (EDC) approved a $75 million loan guarantee to 38 Studios. 38 Studios had promised to bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012.  On November 3, 2010, 38 Studios announced the closure of its $75 million financing package in conjunction with the EDC and the relocation of the Maynard, Massachusetts development studio to One Empire Plaza, Providence, Rhode Island, in early 2011.  On April 8, 2011, 38 Studios began relocation from the Maynard location to the new studio home in Providence. Over 160 employees began working in the new space on April 12, exceeding agreed upon job creation and relocation milestones.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to play this again on Switch if the fates are merciful. Equally excited to see what trashy “remastered” pun THQ Nordic potentially cooks up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

Oh yeah, that game created by a Boston Red Socks player that ended up costing the state of Rhode Island millions of dollars when it failed to sell well enough.

 

For anyone who didn't know, a baseball player got a loan from the state of Rhode Island to make this game. So it was created with taxpayer money that the company couldn't pay back when it failed. So Rhode Island actually owned the IP and all of the studio assets for years. 

 

Definitely one of the weirder stories in video game history. 

 

 

Actually, it was Rhode Island that was to blame for the fiasco, pretty much entirely. First, the state got dollar signs in its eyes, and gave way too much money to an unknown developer, simply because the face of that developer was the pitcher Curt Schilling. Then, for political reasons, one of the candidates for governor began smearing the game, which contributed to lower than expected sales numbers (the candidate ended up winning the election). 

 

It was a weird story, but a good lesson: don't EVER trust money from political/government sources for things like this. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nemoflouri said:

Equally excited to see what trashy “remastered” pun THQ Nordic potentially cooks up.

 

FROM: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

 

TO: Kingdoms of Amalur: Rereckoned

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for me, you know, I liked Kingdoms of Amalur, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it. It was fairly stock at the end of the day. I don't see this game suddenly lighting up cash registers or anything.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa! Thanks THQ and judging from all your previous remastered games I think it is in good hands now. But I hope for a sequel rather then a remaster, because the game has some serious gameplay issues in my opinion. Mainly it gets very very repetitive later on. It is still a great game but it is one of those games that desperately trying to merge single player with MMO. Anyway can't wait to see what they are going to do with this IP.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:


"The idea was to entice 38 Studios to Rhode Island with a loan guarantee as part of a new state initiative created to help bring new jobs to Rhode Island. The deal would have the state signing on as a guarantor on a $75 million loan. In exchange, 38 Studios would relocate to Rhode Island and over the course of three years create 450 new jobs."

 

There's a pretty good article about the whole thing here.

 

22 minutes ago, jasondm300 said:

Per Wikipedia.  They promised jobs for the share.  The player is Curt Schilling, pretty fsmous baseball player with the Boston Red Sox

 

In July 2010, the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation (EDC) approved a $75 million loan guarantee to 38 Studios. 38 Studios had promised to bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012.  On November 3, 2010, 38 Studios announced the closure of its $75 million financing package in conjunction with the EDC and the relocation of the Maynard, Massachusetts development studio to One Empire Plaza, Providence, Rhode Island, in early 2011.  On April 8, 2011, 38 Studios began relocation from the Maynard location to the new studio home in Providence. Over 160 employees began working in the new space on April 12, exceeding agreed upon job creation and relocation milestones.

 

12 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

 

Actually, it was Rhode Island that was to blame for the fiasco, pretty much entirely. First, the state got dollar signs in its eyes, and gave way too much money to an unknown developer, simply because the face of that developer was the pitcher Curt Schilling. Then, for political reasons, one of the candidates for governor began smearing the game, which contributed to lower than expected sales numbers (the candidate ended up winning the election). 

 

It was a weird story, but a good lesson: don't EVER trust money from political/government sources for things like this. 

Thanks for the information.

 

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

As for me, you know, I liked Kingdoms of Amalur, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it. It was fairly stock at the end of the day. I don't see this game suddenly lighting up cash registers or anything.

It's about a world were everyone's fate has been determined from the start and they cannot escape it no matter what. Whenever the elves die, they're reborn and the same thing happens all over again. Then the dark elves (ice elves? some kind of elves?) start a war to conquer the entire continent and it seems they will win, as everyone's fate is to lose against them. The game then starts with the main character having amnesia and the ability to change fate.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.