I have a question about the ending (heavy spoilers)

wackt1

6 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

It’s like your sole-purpose is to troll by trashing masterpiece games.

Even if the new GoW was a masterpiece (who claims it is? You?) there's no denying that the lore degraded to complete trash. Not even the gameplay, whether fun or not, is how it used to be.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is bad. It's just not GoW and should have never been released under that brand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

Even if the new GoW was a masterpiece (who claims it is? You?) there's no denying that the lore degraded to complete trash. Not even the gameplay, whether fun or not, is how it used to be.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is bad. It's just not GoW and should have never been released under that brand.

Cory Barlog has been with the GoW franchise since the beginning so his game is as much a GoW game as the others. The series took a new direction because there had been seven games already in that particular style. Cory wanted to evolve the character and it was completely necessary seeing as how Kratos' main driving force had been fulfilled. As for the plotholes, be patient, there's obviously going to be a sequel and answers will probably be given then. This entire franchise is also obviously playing up Atreus to eventually take Kratos' place as the main character.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

Who claims it is? Oh I don't know, like 90% of the people that played it. And you say it's bad that the game isn't like the old games. Okay, so you'd rather have them keep milking the same formula to the extent that the game's merit falls apart?

8 hours ago, madbuk said:

But The Last of Us and God of War aren't masterpieces so idk what you're talking about.

Okay but that doesn't explain how Kratos got there after the events of 3, nor does it explain any of the other glaring problems that cause the whole story to fall apart.

They are masterpieces and you're deluded. Just because they didn't explain the details of how Kratos is now in Norse lands, anyone with a brain can infer that he traveled there geographically. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Who claims it is? Oh I don't know, like 90% of the people that played it. And you say it's bad that the game isn't like the old games. Okay, so you'd rather have them keep milking the same formula to the extent that the game's merit falls apart?

They are masterpieces and you're deluded. Just because they didn't explain the details of how Kratos is now in Norse lands, anyone with a brain can infer that he traveled there geographically. 

Okay but how did he travel there? Last time we saw him

Spoiler

he had stabbed himself with a sword that had already killed him before and he seemingly had no reason to keep on living anyway.

And how do you explain the other problems like the Blades of Chaos being in the game?

32 minutes ago, clickclick-uhoh said:

https://godofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Blades_of_Chaos

Here is a potential answer for Kratos possessing the Blades in Midgard. Maybe there is more lore that connects them in the comic series? I haven't read them. I would disagree that missing information automatically equals plot hole. 

If that's the case then why weren't they an extra weapon in the previous games - and where were they? Why did we never see them reappear and where was Kratos stashing them during the game? We never saw them again after 1 (unless you count the games taking place before 1, obviously) so the explanation there is blatant damage control. I mean the whole point of the Blades of Chaos was that they were given to him by Ares as a sign of his servitude. When they were stripped away from him it was because he was no longer a slave and thus they didn't need to stick with him anymore.

Despite being freed of Ares' influence, including the Blades of Chaos, Kratos was forgiven but was not relieved of his nightmares. A dissatisfied and despairing Kratos tried to commit suicide but was saved by Athena, who guided him to Olympus. Awarded the Blades of Athena, Kratos became the new God of War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratos_(God_of_War)#Ascension,_Chains_of_Olympus,_and_God_of_War_(2005)

I’ve played every God of War but not the new one as I’ve only played that a little bit and got rather turned off by it because of how they disregard the original story. Maybe it gets better when I get back into eh? But if what everyone is saying is true the game continues to ignore the whole series of games. Then it simply comes down to the devs slapped on the God of War name to sell copies, I’ve noticed a lot of companies have done that over a good few years now. Where they want to make something “new and fresh” but don’t have the confidence to so. Games that come to my mind are titles like Bioshock Infinite and Evil Within 2, I also thought about putting Dead Space 3 in it but say what you want about the game (I know I do xD) but at least it tried to continue a story instead of wanting to do something new but lack the confidence to go all the way.  

• Like 1

@madbuk I think it mentioned the possibility that Kratos by becoming the GoW became the owner of all Ares weapons including Blades of Chaos. It also mentions that Athena could have somehow modified the BoC into BoA. Try rereading the wiki if you're interested. I don't necessarily like those possibilities and they are a stretch as far as I'm concerned but they do demonstrate that these things could happen. I imagine the next game will give more explanation to the transition from Greece to Midgard. 

My point was only that there are tons of ways they could get him the BoC back. I mean, Kratos came back from the dead multiple times right? What is the stretch of imagination here? As far as godship is concerned he defeated Gods and Titans after he was dethroned as GoW. He did this by acquiring other power sources and maybe by some lingering effect of his demigodship. So by defeating the pantheon perhaps he absorbed some God powers in some way. None of these are plot holes. Just because people don't like the lore or don't have all the answers now that doesn't make it a plot hole.

Out of curiosity: you said the Blades should have floated away when Greece flooded. How would they float?

Update: The wiki mentions Kratos had sworn not to use them again so that would explain the absence as a usable weapon in other games. Being freed from their influence doesn't mean they cease to exist or that he cant use them. I read that as saying they are no longer attached to him. He was unable to remove them prior to this 

Edited by clickclick-uhoh
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 20. 11. 2018 at 2:41 AM, clickclick-uhoh said:

@madbuk I think it mentioned the possibility that Kratos by becoming the GoW became the owner of all Ares weapons including Blades of Chaos. It also mentions that Athena could have somehow modified the BoC into BoA. Try rereading the wiki if you're interested. I don't necessarily like those possibilities and they are a stretch as far as I'm concerned but they do demonstrate that these things could happen. I imagine the next game will give more explanation to the transition from Greece to Midgard. 

My point was only that there are tons of ways they could get him the BoC back. I mean, Kratos came back from the dead multiple times right? What is the stretch of imagination here? As far as godship is concerned he defeated Gods and Titans after he was dethroned as GoW. He did this by acquiring other power sources and maybe by some lingering effect of his demigodship. So by defeating the pantheon perhaps he absorbed some God powers in some way. None of these are plot holes. Just because people don't like the lore or don't have all the answers now that doesn't make it a plot hole.

Out of curiosity: you said the Blades should have floated away when Greece flooded. How would they float?

Update: The wiki mentions Kratos had sworn not to use them again so that would explain the absence as a usable weapon in other games. Being freed from their influence doesn't mean they cease to exist or that he cant use them. I read that as saying they are no longer attached to him. He was unable to remove them prior to this 

I've read somewhere that after the end of GOW3, when he started traveling the world, the blades of chaos appeared and started "following" him. No matter how many times he tried to threw them away or destroy them they would alway come back, so he had to keep them. Maybe Athena is behind it, its her revenge because Kratos did not listen to her. The blades torment Kratos and his thoughts eat him away.

And I think the explanation on how he got to midgard is that when he was traveling the world he came across a few Huge wolves that overpowered him. And an unkown person took him to midgard. I think that story is in the comics

Edited by BeeR3Dx
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2018-09-07 at 2:51 AM, madbuk said:

Okay so where did Kratos get his blades from? They were supposedly lost for eternity at the end of GoW1.

How did Kratos survive the ending of 3?

Why is Kratos suddenly a god? He was demoted from the pantheon and stripped of all his godly powers in GoW2.

How did Kratos get to Norse land? It's implied towards the end that you need a special artifact to travel between greek/norse/egyptian/japan(?) mythology.

Outside of the game, I also hate how the devs were so dismissive of original Kratos, treating him like a one-dimensional angry man, acting like their new version is better and has more depth. Kratos was a lot more than an angry man, he showed love, regret, sadness, and more throughout the whole games, like when he tore himself away from living in paradise with his daughter to go save the world, or when he tried to let go of his quest for revenge and stop Pandora sacrificing herself for him. 

I know I’m like a few years late but ... dude it’s fiction just relax and enjoy what they give you. So many things could have happened between the end of God of War III and now. I recently played through all of the original God of War games and I love them, but I still prefer the new game. Yes Kratos showed a lot of emotions, but I think he just got even more mature by the time we catch up to him in Midgard. Those questions have many probables. But it isn’t far fetching that after he stabbed himself, and gave humanity hope, he was around not knowing what to do with himself. Then he comes upon a woman who was not of his world. We can just imagine years pass by and with the newfound hope Greece was able to pull itself together piece by piece. Maybe Kratos even helped it. Maybe with the help of this woman from Midgard who knows. But then he decides to leave with her to her world. Who knows? The answers could be endless. The blades? Maybe while Greece was getting back in order he came upon them again. Who knows? Also about how he’s still a God ... he was stripped of his title, but not of being a God. He’s still the son of Zeus by blood. He was always a God by blood. Great thing about fiction though, you could literally come up with anything, and until the writers mention something in a game or book or movie that makes it canon you could pretty much fill in the blanks yourself. Just enjoy.