Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Shopkeeper

Rubber band AI needs to be taken out back and given a mercy kill.

13 posts in this topic

Can't comment on this game but, yes, rubber banding needs to be removed from every racing game ever and never considered again. 

45 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Can't comment on this game but, yes, rubber banding needs to be removed from every racing game ever and never considered again. 

Rubberbanding is there not just to give the AI an unfair advantage - it's to help you have a chance of catching up if you're doing very badly. It has its place, but some games do go a bit overboard. Driveclub did rubberbanding perfectly - the AI never break any rules, they just start playing better. Nothing the player can't do.

I am not against adaptive AI. When you do it right it's a great way for everyone to have fun with racing games. But rubberbanding is such a cheap way to achieve it, that I am amazed that some games still use it. It basically punishes fast players and rewards slow players and that makes no sense in a racing title. So thanks for the heads up, I will make sure to avoid this one.

Rubberbanding is great for 4-player couch co-op games, where you never know the ability level of your fellow players, or maybe you have kids. That's about it. I can't stand it in 1-player games - what a lazy mechanic!

totally agree with the topic heading apart from the method of death

rubber banding (and server closures) don't deserve mercy

vicious baseball bat brutality killing in a dark alley is far more apt!

Lol this is one of the numerous reasons why I hated The Crew 2. It had so much potential with the first game of the series, that was pretty good in my opinion if you remove the trophy bugs.

2018 and devs are still putting this bullshit in racing games

7 hours ago, madbuk said:

Rubberbanding is there not just to give the AI an unfair advantage - it's to help you have a chance of catching up if you're doing very badly. It has its place, but some games do go a bit overboard. Driveclub did rubberbanding perfectly - the AI never break any rules, they just start playing better. Nothing the player can't do.

Both are equally bad. At the very least they should allow you to turn it off if you want a fair race. It's particularly heinous in multiplayer though. 

Every time I consider buying this game when it's on sale I come across a thread complaining about rubber band AI. So glad I do because it saves me money. Rubber band AI is what ruined Gran Turismo starting with GT6 and ruins most games it's in.

On 2/23/2019 at 0:29 PM, Sn1per666999 said:

Every time I consider buying this game when it's on sale I come across a thread complaining about rubber band AI. So glad I do because it saves me money. Rubber band AI is what ruined Gran Turismo starting with GT6 and ruins most games it's in.

Rubber banding is definitely present here but it is also present in every racing game to varying degrees.  Time trials are an exception but certainly with races.

Also remember, rubber banding works both ways and can help you too.

Rubber banding in this game is out of control.

In one Hyper Car race I had a lead of 28 secs when all of a sudden someone said something like (uses condescending dickhead Crew 2 npc voice) I'm surprised that you're keeping up.

I turnaround and there's this arsehole right behind me (:giggle:).

It was like it had been a timed event.

A couple of corners later I had a lead of 12 secs??? WTF!