Rubber band AI needs to be taken out back and given a mercy kill.

Oobedoob S Benubi

45 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Can't comment on this game but, yes, rubber banding needs to be removed from every racing game ever and never considered again. 

Rubberbanding is there not just to give the AI an unfair advantage - it's to help you have a chance of catching up if you're doing very badly. It has its place, but some games do go a bit overboard. Driveclub did rubberbanding perfectly - the AI never break any rules, they just start playing better. Nothing the player can't do.

• Like 1

I am not against adaptive AI. When you do it right it's a great way for everyone to have fun with racing games. But rubberbanding is such a cheap way to achieve it, that I am amazed that some games still use it. It basically punishes fast players and rewards slow players and that makes no sense in a racing title. So thanks for the heads up, I will make sure to avoid this one.

7 hours ago, madbuk said:

Rubberbanding is there not just to give the AI an unfair advantage - it's to help you have a chance of catching up if you're doing very badly. It has its place, but some games do go a bit overboard. Driveclub did rubberbanding perfectly - the AI never break any rules, they just start playing better. Nothing the player can't do.

Both are equally bad. At the very least they should allow you to turn it off if you want a fair race. It's particularly heinous in multiplayer though. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 0:29 PM, Sn1per666999 said:

Every time I consider buying this game when it's on sale I come across a thread complaining about rubber band AI. So glad I do because it saves me money. Rubber band AI is what ruined Gran Turismo starting with GT6 and ruins most games it's in.

Rubber banding is definitely present here but it is also present in every racing game to varying degrees.  Time trials are an exception but certainly with races.

Also remember, rubber banding works both ways and can help you too.

• 4 months later...

Rubber banding in this game is out of control.

In one Hyper Car race I had a lead of 28 secs when all of a sudden someone said something like (uses condescending dickhead Crew 2 npc voice) I'm surprised that you're keeping up.

I turnaround and there's this arsehole right behind me (:giggle:).

It was like it had been a timed event.

A couple of corners later I had a lead of 12 secs??? WTF!

• 10 months later...

The rubber banding in this game is the worst I have ever seen. I've been having no problem with any events EXCEPT the street racing, where even if I am 30/40+ higher than I need to be, race perfectly and take all shortcuts, some asshole AI will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, come out of nowhere on the last corner and over take me. In some races I've gone from 1st to 4th on the last corner like this with no mistakes.

They just blow past you. What a joke.

Also, the cars handle like crap. Do not buy this game. Even on sale. I should of learned from the shit show that was The Crew 1. Ubisoft have no business making racing games.

Edited by Pray07

42 minutes ago, Pray07 said:

The rubber banding in this game is the worst I have ever seen. I've been having no problem with any events EXCEPT the street racing, where even if I am 30/40+ higher than I need to be, race perfectly and take all shortcuts, some asshole AI will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, come out of nowhere on the last corner and over take me. In some races I've gone from 1st to 4th on the last corner like this with no mistakes.

They just blow past you. What a joke.

Also, the cars handle like crap. Do not buy this game. Even on sale. I should of learned from the shit show that was The Crew 1. Ubisoft have no business making racing games.

Check out Pro Settings

I consistently get -12 seconds on short races, and continue to build it on longer races. Not sure if the AI rubber bands that much these days. Could be the Icon stats.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

Check out Pro Settings

I consistently get -12 seconds on short races, and continue to build it on longer races. Not sure if the AI rubber bands that much these days. Could be the Icon stats.

Thanks for the help, even after my little tantrum of a post :P

I'll give that a go later!

Edited by Pray07

I posted above saying I wouldn't buy it because of the rubber banding complaint because I HATE it in my games but I bought it anyway (for trophies) and I never noticed rubber banding at all. I won some races by minutes. I think it was a amazing game to just drive around in and the racing was ok as well. The loot system was the only thing that I despised.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The rubberbanding was not noticeable at all. That is until I reached Sofia's race which was with the Jetstream. Not only do they handle like complete shit anyway but I'm in a maxed out Jetstream boat and yet she still keeps up until the monster truck section in the swamp. That's the only complaint I've had so far.