Loud PS4 Pro Fan for anyone else?

FarfetchDoomer

Loving the game but the loud fan from my PS4 Pro when playing is ruining the experience, sounds like a jet engine. Mostly only affects cutscenes and when indoors, fighting Shocker made me have to turn the volume up something sharp. Not much when swinging about around the city although I would get the odd pause to load part of the city in. Noticed that some graphical glitches would happen too, like sporadic clipping when characters moved and peoples hair almost flying off their heads O_O

Done all the usual things, cleaning the fan, rebuilding database (twice), reinstalling the game, kept the console out of boost mode, other than a full restore I dunno what to do next. I'd like to know is anyone else having these issues when playing Spiderman? My PS4 Pro is the white model with what looks to be a Nidec fan inside if that helps.

Edited by HornieDee88

Try to not notice it as much. It gets louder when you try to pay attention to it. It's working as intended i'm pretty sure. Spidey is an awesome game but its pushing the hardware to the limits already. A very heated system needs those powerful jet engine fan to work at 110%.

Yeah, mine has been pretty loud at times, had it for a year or so but maybe put 10 / 15 hours of gaming total into the console so it's basically new. Seems to be pretty normal. Absolutely gorgeous game, visual powerhouse, more likely than not the reason.

Wonder how it sounds on an OG 

2 hours ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

my pro doesn't make noise. 

If the fan doesn't kick on when you're playing, you don't have the HDR on, you don't have a 4K tv/4K HDMI cable or you aren't playing Pro enhanced games..  The fan is supposed to turn on when there is a graphics boost to prevent the console from overheating.

That's probably because PS4 Pro is a console that can barely run 4K. My ps4 isnt a pro and it doesn't have a fan issue when running Spiderman. It does run loud when I play Witcher 3 or Blacks ops 3. If you care about 4K, just game on PC. PS4 Pro imo is a total ripoff.

1 hour ago, Easy_Duhz_It_ said:

If the fan doesn't kick on when you're playing, you don't have the HDR on, you don't have a 4K tv/4K HDMI cable or you aren't playing Pro enhanced games..  The fan is supposed to turn on when there is a graphics boost to prevent the console from overheating.

Or its worse..broken.

2 hours ago, The Titan said:

That's probably because PS4 Pro is a console that can barely run 4K. My ps4 isnt a pro and it doesn't have a fan issue when running Spiderman. It does run loud when I play Witcher 3 or Blacks ops 3. If you care about 4K, just game on PC. PS4 Pro imo is a total ripoff.

I'm not sure that's helpful or relevant considering they aren't asking if it's better to build a PC or if it's an overall bad investment. I don't think this is a thread for Sony fans to turn against each other for having a different SKU of console over peculiar reasons.

But back on topic, I have never heard it at level that has been described as "jet engine" or even at a level more akin to a vacuum cleaner, but yes, my fans do kick in occasionally for certain games and have for this game. It doesn't affect performance, so I guess that's why I kind of tune it out. Then again, I'm 50% of the time wearing headphones anyway, so I guess I'm really only concentrated on the game rather than fan noise, but I agree with the other guy saying just try to tune it out especially if you aren't noticing the game chugging since that's a bigger problem to me.

You know what is loud? sitting next to a Vornado fan. I think its really down to what you percieve loud is. I have to agree though from personal experience the playstation 4 systems are built with a pretty noisy fan when working at peak rpms. I wouldn't go as far as exaggerating it sounding like jet engine or hearing it miles away like some members here. I have built a PC running with 7 fans inside, highest rpm is around 3000rpm and its damn quieter than the PS4. I think the PS4 fan does go above 3000 at peak, but im not sure. It's possible the fan isn't that great. A lot of parts are mass made from countries like...china. If it really bothers you and you cant return for another, maybe buy a better fan. I do know Amazon sell them. There's people that say they can hear a difference.

Yes the ps4 pro is loud af when running spider man but its normal. I dunno why people keep worrying about it. Pretty sure developers stress test their games on the console while its in development as well. God of war is also really loud.

its because the games is pushing the ps4 to its limits. Try play an indie game thats less than a gb in size and notice the difference.

17 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

I don't have a pro but you might need to replace the thermal paste. If you've properly cleaned the dust out and made sure it's somewhere the hot air can easily escape and the room temperature isn't too high then that would be my best bet.

Will look into that, just had to format my pro as the game was no longer loading and the PS4 UI became soooo laggy even after multiple database rebuilds, thinking I may have more issues with it than I thought :/

BTW does the game seem to run fine on the base PS4? Still have mine and really might just dust that off and play Spiderman on that instead.