Identifying if game is playing in 4K HDR

Hocking_1988

Hey, looking for some help. It’s probably a silly question. Is there a way the PS4 lets you know it’s playing a game fir example I’m HDR? If I play a 4K disk on my Blu Ray player a banner comes across the top of the tv saying it’s playing hdr, but nothing like this in the PS4. 

Am I missing something? Also what settings do I need to have turned on? Thanks

There isn't a notification setting for HDR on the PS4 itself (can't speak for the PS4 Pro since I don't have one). There is a setting for HDR notifications on 4K TVs depending on which one you have. Should be in display/picture settings or something like that. I have a 4K TCL Roku TV, and the HDR notification pops up whenever I play a PS4 game that supports HDR. Every TV is different though I suppose.

Edited by Devastator457

If you go to > settings on your PS4 > sound and screen > video out put settings > (resolution should have options for 2160p) HDR should be set to automatic > video output information should show 3840 x 2160 - 60hz (does on my 4k and PS4 Pro) > HDR = supported.

If you do not see that then you need to enable the 4k settings on you TV as they are probably set off by default (My LG 4k was set to off when I got it and I had to enable them).

When you play a game that supports HDR it will show a HDR logo in the top right hand corner of the screen.

@Hocking_1988 A lot of the time it depends on the model of TV you are actually using. I myself have an LG OLED TV (Link provided below) and when i plugged my shiny new PS4 Pro into it i honestly thought i had actually been playing 4K games on it. Turns out that the TV naturally upscaled the games and i was actually just playing in a better form of 1080p. As this was my first 4K television i went online and actually found out that on tv's such as this you have to manually "unlock" each individual HDMI port. It was easy enough to do under the settings and now i can really tell the difference in quality + there is a nice little box that pops up every time saying "HDR" so that helps. If you do have to unlock the ports, then you also have to go to your PS4 settings and change them accordingly.

Obviously i can only speculate as i don't know what model your TV is, but this was the method i used for mine.

Hope this helps. :) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-OLED55E7N-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B071L7WDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536661548&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+oled55e7n

Edited by NefariousDreamer