Trophies for DLCs?

Firmamento

I honestly can't tell if this game's DLCs will add extra trophies as there has never been a game in the past developed by Insomniac that has received any DLC trophy packs. I'm praying there will be DLC trophies because I don't want this to end up like Dark Souls 2 & 3 or the two South Park games (TSoT & TFBW). Both of those games included various expansion packs / DLCs that did not add any extra trophies.

3 minutes ago, Skeptical69 said:

I honestly can't tell if this game's DLCs will add extra trophies as there has never been a game in the past developed by Insomniac that has received any DLC trophy packs. I'm praying there will be DLC trophies because I don't want this to end up like Dark Souls 2 & 3 or the two South Park games (TSoT & TFBW). Both of those games included various expansion packs / DLCs that did not add any extra trophies.

I don't get the big deal with DLC.

I was perfectly fine with God of War not having any DLC because the lead developer said himself there wasn't going to be a Season Pass for that game. Five months have passed and people still love the game for what it is, DLC or no DLC.

Developers aren't entitled to create DLC that has trophies in it. If they make a DLC pack that doesn't have trophies, then tough luck. That's just the way things go.

Personally I don't want Spider-Man to end up like Batman: Arkham Knight did with it's DLC. A bunch of stupid, pointless short story DLCs with some Batmobile racing and a Community Challenge pack that proved more aggravating than fun. Highly doubt that will happen as it's more likely the DLC for Spider-Man will be like Ubisoft does with Assassins Creed. Add in a few story DLC packs to keep gamers coming back. Assassins Creed Origins did this to great effect.

It's becoming silly at this point that we expect most of every AAA game out there to come with DLC and a Season Pass. It's already gotten beyond ridiculous with the Battlefield and Call of Duty franchises.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Spaz said:

I was perfectly fine with God of War not having any DLC because the lead developer said himself there wasn't going to be a Season Pass for that game. Five months have passed and people still love the game for what it is, DLC or no DLC.

Developers aren't entitled to create DLC that has trophies in it. If they make a DLC pack that doesn't have trophies, then tough luck. That's just the way things go.

Personally I don't want Spider-Man to end up like Batman: Arkham Knight did with it's DLC. A bunch of stupid, pointless short story DLCs with some Batmobile racing and a Community Challenge pack that proved more aggravating than fun. Highly doubt that will happen as it's more likely the DLC for Spider-Man will be like Ubisoft does with Assassins Creed. Add in a few story DLC packs to keep gamers coming back. Assassins Creed Origins did this to great effect.

It's becoming silly at this point that we expect most of every AAA game out there to come with DLC and a Season Pass. It's already gotten beyond ridiculous with the Battlefield and Call of Duty franchises.

Not really silly when you consider that, over the last 12 years...AAA games have received DLC more often than not. Frankly, in a situation like God of War, it's more surprising that it DIDN'T get DLC/Season Pass. or that it didn't seem to add a trophy or two for the NG+ patch...considering Horizon: Zero Dawn seemed to have started a trend there. Apparently Spider-Man is getting a NG+ update at some point, so this could get that as well. You expect it, because it's more likely to happen...it's become normal.

But even then, people like to know if we're getting trophies, because a lot times the DLC is pointless if it's not getting any (depending on what it is), so you never know if it's worth getting that Season Pass or not. I know with several Assassin's Creed games, I skipped on the Season Pass and just bought the one or two DLC packs that contained trophies and left the rest alone. 

When it comes to this game, I'd wager to guess that all three packs will add trophies and I'd almost say they'll add one for NG+ and the highest difficulty as well. 

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

Not really silly when you consider that, over the last 12 years...AAA games have received DLC more often than not. Frankly, in a situation like God of War, it's more surprising that it DIDN'T get DLC/Season Pass. or that it didn't seem to add a trophy or two for the NG+ patch...considering Horizon: Zero Dawn seemed to have started a trend there. Apparently Spider-Man is getting a NG+ update at some point, so this could get that as well. You expect it, because it's more likely to happen...it's become normal.

But even then, people like to know if we're getting trophies, because a lot times the DLC is pointless if it's not getting any (depending on what it is), so you never know if it's worth getting that Season Pass or not. I know with several Assassin's Creed games, I skipped on the Season Pass and just bought the one or two DLC packs that contained trophies and left the rest alone. 

When it comes to this game, I'd wager to guess that all three packs will add trophies and I'd almost say they'll add one for NG+ and the highest difficulty as well. 

It hasn't been 12 years. The stuff that came out early in the Playstation 3/Xbox 360 generation didn't get nearly as much DLC as what we're getting today. I would say since 2010 - 2011 we have been getting DLC, but in comparison, it wasn't as much.

What I'm saying is we intentionally expect most AAA games to get DLC with trophies. Horizon Zero Dawn got trophies for New Game Plus yet God of War didn't. Tough luck for those who wanted to earn trophies beating New Game Plus in God of War.

For the completionists out there who pay $59.99 for a brand new game, they may expect to pay $30 - 50 more for the Season Pass, which usually includes all the DLC packs that haven't been released yet. So essentially you're paying upwards of $90 - 110 to get the entire package for one game, and that isn't cheap.

Assassins Creed Odyssey will have the same thing, two or more story packs which you either have to buy separately, buy the Season Pass or buy the Gold edition of the retail version.

To be frank I think Call of Duty started the trend of issuing out a lot of DLC. The first Black Ops game had a lot of DLC for the time, back in 2010 when not a whole lot of AAA games issued a bunch of DLC.

I can definitely understand people who only want the platinum and not the DLC, because all that DLC adds up and it gets rather expensive when you're trying to keep track of a few AAA games that all have a Season Pass. I have done the same thing as you, I've skipped on Season Passes for some games and only bought some DLC. But expecting so many games out there to have DLC with trophies is rather ridiculous in my opinion.

So I definitely applaud Sony Santa Monica for not having a Season Pass for their flagship game. Even better when Insomniac Games only charged $39.99 for the reboot Ratchet and Clank game that ended up being a great experience.

Edited by Spaz

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It hasn't been 12 years. The stuff that came out early in the Playstation 3/Xbox 360 generation didn't get nearly as much DLC as what we're getting today. I would say since 2010 - 2011 we have been getting DLC, but in comparison, it wasn't as much.

What I'm saying is we intentionally expect most AAA games to get DLC with trophies. Horizon Zero Dawn got trophies for New Game Plus yet God of War didn't. Tough luck for those who wanted to earn trophies beating New Game Plus in God of War.

For the completionists out there who pay $59.99 for a brand new game, they may expect to pay $30 - 50 more for the Season Pass, which usually includes all the DLC packs that haven't been released yet. So essentially you're paying upwards of $90 - 110 to get the entire package for one game, and that isn't cheap.

Assassins Creed Odyssey will have the same thing, two or more story packs which you either have to buy separately, buy the Season Pass or buy the Gold edition of the retail version.

To be frank I think Call of Duty started the trend of issuing out a lot of DLC. The first Black Ops game had a lot of DLC for the time, back in 2010 when not a whole lot of AAA games issued a bunch of DLC.

I can definitely understand people who only want the platinum and not the DLC, because all that DLC adds up and it gets rather expensive when you're trying to keep track of a few AAA games that all have a Season Pass. I have done the same thing as you, I've skipped on Season Passes for some games and only bought some DLC. But expecting so many games out there to have DLC with it is rather ridiculous in my opinion.

So I definitely applaud Sony Santa Monica for not having DLC for their flagship game. Even better when Insomniac Games only charged $39.99 for the reboot Ratchet and Clank game that ended up being a great experience.

Maybe it's the way you're wording things, but I feel like you're blaming the individual for something that's a normal every day thing. When you should be blaming the game companies for making it a regular thing to begin with. We EXPECT it, because it's become second nature...but that's not our fault. 

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

Maybe it's the way you're wording things, but I feel like you're blaming the individual for something that's a normal every day thing. When you should be blaming the game companies for making it a regular thing to begin with. We EXPECT it, because it's become second nature...but that's not our fault. 

Well yes, I was making a response on a comment that suggested there should be trophies for the DLC.

We expect it because we've been trophy hunting for years. Game companies make DLC because it's more profitable, that's simply the nature of the business.

In my view we think there should be trophies for every DLC pack. But when a game like Dark Souls 3 issues DLC that does not have trophies, we get upset over it. That's my point.

Edited by Spaz

56 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

~snip~

Your name makes it pretty obvious you love Spider-Man.

As much as I loved and adored The Witcher 3, I decided to wait until the DLC came out before I played through it all. Thinking about it now makes me wish I bought the Complete Edition instead. Comes with all DLC RIGHT ON THE DISC. Today you can easily find a copy for $20 - 30 off of Amazon, the Complete Edition or Game of the Year Edition depending on where you're at.

What this means is you can actually save yourself a ton of money by waiting until the Deluxe Edition or whatever people want to call it comes out.

I bought God of War within the first week of release not only because I'm a huge God of War fan, but also because I realized that there wasn't going to be a Season Pass for it. $60 I spent on it without having to worry about a Season Pass.

I enjoy Spider-Man, especially the old cartoon series (both the 1960s and 1990s cartoon shows) and the trilogy that starred Tobey Maguire. I have no doubt that Insomniac's Spider-Man will be a terrific game well worth my time. But DLC in my opinion I feel has gotten a bit out of hand, and we expect a lot of DLC to come with trophies, even for something as simple as New Game Plus.

I'm still on the edge on whether I should buy this game in the coming weeks, or wait a couple months for the price to drop and DLC is just making it's way on the Playstation Store.

Edited by Spaz

On 9/8/2018 at 11:56 PM, Skeptical69 said:

there has never been a game in the past developed by Insomniac that has received any DLC trophy packs

Not true. No Playstation game by Insomniac has ever had DLC trophies, but that's because no Insomniac Playstation game has ever had DLC. They made Sunset Overdrive for Xbone, it had DLC and the DLC had more achievements. Not a doubt in my mind the DLC for Spider-Man will have new trophies.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:06 AM, Spaz said:

Ea gave up on the season pass since last year but then again it's ea...b?

4 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

If you wait months for this game for a price drop; I’ll consider that a crime. This game IS WONDERFUL! & you need to support these developers... if people just constantly wait for price drops; especially for WUALITY games like this & God iof War they’re gonna stop making them...

Spider-Man has already sold far over a million copies since it's release on Friday, so me deciding to wait for the price to drop and/or wait for DLC does absolutely nothing for sales. Insomniac Games has already made a lot of profit off of this game, regardless of what me or a few people think who have the same buying habits as I do. As long as it sells to the masses then it's a huge success.

My habits don't benefit the companies, but frankly I don't give a crap.

• Like 1