Spider-Man Spoilers Marketing

TurtlePM

I never seen so much “big deal” about Spoilers from developers like it’s happening around this game.

For those who bought the Limited and Collectors Edition, there is a paper inside saying “it contains spoilers, do not open til the end of the game”. They didn’t show the collectors statue because “it has spoilers” and can ruin players experience.

The thing is: it creates a lot of expectations, sounds like a “Batman Arkham City” where you get caught by surprise after revealing the final boss or “who’s behind all of this”. But in the end, what’s the spoiler (rhetorical question) here? We know Spider-Man universe, we already know those possibilities...

I really love the game, but I think this “spoiler” marketing created me some unnecessary suspense and my experience (around story) became a let down.

Idk, God of War or Heavy Rain (the only game I think that if you know in first hand who the killer is, it completely ruins your experience) have significant stuff that can ruin the first time experience and nobody from Developers was publishing so much suspense around the game like this...

Edited by TurtlePM

40 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The marketing is fine without social media trying to spoil the game for others or people acting like they "knew it all along." You might aswell complain about websites having spoiler tags or policies against spoilers too.

It’s not the same case. I’m talking about the devs or Sony making marketing based on “there are a lot of spoilers here”. When a company does this, you are expecting a BIG plot twist or some kind of big revelation. When you look at the art book, all characters where confirmed across these 3 years since game has been released, except 2 character (one has been leaked meanwhile). This last one is the first character that appears at the first 5 mins and there is no spoil (s)he’s important in every Spider-Man universes.

In the end, your expectations for some “mindblowing” are so high, it will quickly become a let down when you realize there wasn’t need such “big deal” around spoilers...

This isn’t a negative point about the game itself, I just think this kind of marketing makes our expectations go high for nothing...

I agree. Some people have gotten themselves so worked up and over-sensitized about spoilers for this game. Every suit, villain, even every animation and screenshot is supposed to be a spoiler.

It's a game where Spider-Man fights the Sinister Six, a matchup that's been happening since the 1960s. It's a very classic, known storyline. Spider-Man almost always gets beat in the first meeting; he does some kind of science or detective work, or solves a personal problem; he comes back and wins the rematch. If these people would just calm down, they'd realize they almost know the story already without seeing any of these so-called "spoilers" they're so worked up about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

It’s not the same case. I’m talking about the devs or Sony making marketing based on “there are a lot of spoilers here”. When a company does this, you are expecting a BIG plot twist or some kind of big revelation. When you look at the art book, all characters where confirmed across these 3 years since game has been released, except 2 character (one has been leaked meanwhile). This last one is the first character that appears at the first 5 mins and there is no spoil (s)he’s important in every Spider-Man universes.

In the end, your expectations for some “mindblowing” are so high, it will quickly become a let down when you realize there wasn’t need such “big deal” around spoilers...

This isn’t a negative point about the game itself, I just think this kind of marketing makes our expectations go high for nothing...

I have expectations? Thanks for telling me about my own thoughts. It's deeply appreciated. 

They don't want to spoil their game for gamers that want to discover stuff for themselves. Some respect it, some don't.  I admire the commitment. While you complain about a story-focused game keeps some info close to the vest. If you want spoilers then I bet you know where to find them. No marketing campaign is going to openly spoil the game. The real kicker is that you can't spoil the game here but whine about Sony not doing so.

Why complain? Nevermind, it's obvious. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

7 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

We know Spider-Man universe, we already know those possibilities...

Some of us do, some others don't. Don't expect everyone to have the same knowledge that you have. 

And even so, the story itself is new, not tied to a comic book or film or whatever. So that in itself bears spoilers. You can like or dislike the marketing around that, but it does stand justice. 

1 hour ago, NoOneWillRecall said:

Some of us do, some others don't. Don't expect everyone to have the same knowledge that you have. 

And even so, the story itself is new, not tied to a comic book or film or whatever. So that in itself bears spoilers. You can like or dislike the marketing around that, but it does stand justice. 

So, you start playing a Batman game and Joker shows up... the spoiler is “Joker is a villain”. Is it a “spoiler” when the first thing that people think when they see the Joker is “this is the bad guy?”

I don’t know, it’s spider man universe, we are talking about one of the most well know characters in Marvel universe. “This is the game fans have been waiting for” - well fans (and other people like me) know the most iconic villain of Spider-Man... it’s the same thing that “F4 movie casts actor X to play Victor Von Doom” - Press “spoils” Dr. Doom as the main villain before movie release.

5 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

I have expectations? Thanks for telling me about my own thoughts. It's deeply appreciated. 

They don't want to spoil their game for gamers that want to discover stuff for themselves. Some respect it, some don't.  I admire the commitment. While you complain about a story-focused game keeps some info close to the vest. If you want spoilers then I bet you know where to find them. No marketing campaign is going to openly spoil the game. The real kicker is that you can't spoil the game here but whine about Sony not doing so.

Why complain? Nevermind, it's obvious. 

Guess we are talking different things here. I’m not looking for spoilers before playing the game. If your game has a plot twist, you don’t need to warn people that there are spoilers. If you warn them about it, it’s because it might ruin your experience fully - Like I mentioned Heavy Rain. A character shows up and you know that character from comics or even Sam Raimi’s movie: you know that guy is a villain. This is the “spoiler” they are trying to keep secret when everybody knows he’s Spider-Man Nemesis by looking at him.

And I apologize, I thought that if someone says “it has a BIG spoiler” you are “expecting” something mindblowing, not the obvious “main villain being the main villain”.

Edited by TurtlePM

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

The statue wasn't a huge spoiler. Especially when you find out his involvement in the story within the first.... what? 30 minutes if even that? Lmao.

Thats the point of my topic.

They didn’t reveal the bottom of the statue because of spoilers... I thought there was the “big head” behind all this (like one of the final battles agains the Head of the City in BA City)... nope, just the one we were expecting... from the beginning of the game :D