The Ultimate Trophy Hunters

hcmode

Hello friends, before getting into my personal definition of Ultimate Trophy Hunters, I'd like to state my opinion about trophy hunting. Unfortunately most of trophy hunters or completionists, whatever you wanna call them, often resort to boosting when they have to get difficult online trophies or especially when some game modes are dead (I boosted quite a lot too). Let's be honest though, boosting a trophy isn't the same as getting it the hard way; it doesn't feel as if you really earned that platinum/100% cause you didn't challenge yourself to try and fulfill the requirements for the trophy.

As for the definition of Ultimate Trophy Hunters I mean those heroes who have gotten all their online trophies without boosting. I know some players who got all of their online trophies the hard way so the aim of this topic is to find those players who never boosted online trophies, that's all. Show yourselves! I'm pretty sure there must be more!

To make things even more interesting, I'm curious to know whether there are some players who try to avoid guides as much as possible to get their trophies, as well as avoiding glitches to make trophies easier...

Just to make things clear, I have nothing against boosting cause, as I said at the beginning of the topic, I boosted quite a lot too, I'm just eager to find ultimate trophy hunters...

Edited by Major Rain

3 minutes ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Why are you looking for these people just outta curiosity?

Exactly, I'm just curious to find whether there are other players besides the ones I already know who take this kind of "challenging" approach to trophies

It all depends on different factors, like I'm a guy who try to achieve as much as possible. Out of my experience I prefer to do most of the things the easy way. If I really enjoy a game I'll try to do it the legit way without boosting. But some of the online trophies are really ridiculous to achieve legit (luckbased or grindy as hell). It all depends on the trophy you're aiming for. Then you have to ask yourself, is it worth my time.. not really difficulty related.

But if you're aiming for online trophies which doesn't require too much effort, you'll defenitly find some guys out there who do it legit, I would say I do it 50/50 with guides/boosts. For me time and enjoy factor are important. But that al depends on your own vision of your profile like I said before.

Back then, I used to think boosting was a completely unfair way to earn trophies. That was, of course, years ago and my perspective has changed a lot since then. Since I mostly play PS3 games nowadays for a number of reasons, it is common for me to encounter games with dead online components and/or with trophies that demand an absurd amount of time spent playing online. Something that I'm not always interested in doing as I prefer to play single player games the most.  Admittedly, I'm actually proud of some of the early Platinums that I got without boosting. For example, Blur. That's a game I loved back then when it came out and I went out of my way to get all the online trophies without ever boosting them. Split/Second was another that I had a lot of fun quickly destroying any online opposition the time I decided to jump onto the online. It was fun rising from the lowest rank to number 1 in just a matter of hours by just being good at the game ^_^

Now, there were other instances of online trophies that I totally hated without boosting. Bioshock 2 comes to mind. Not only I was a lower scorer in most matches (everyone here seems to be able to 1-hit kill you with whatever weapon from the other side of the map, even with the Shotgun! O.O) but the grind to Level 40 was one of the most tedious things I had to endure there. Singularity's multiplayer was another that I persevered without boosting back in the day too. Servers were extremely faulty even then and finding matches was a pain even though there were people playing but then the game was just flat out repetitive on its matches. It only had like 2 games modes and what? 3-4 maps? It was a total chore playing 100 matches >.<

If there are online trophies that do not require a lot of effort, I can do it without boosting or using guides, but if the game is a chore and demands a lot, then I will most certainly resort in using any of those to speed up the progress. A number of months ago I got the Platinum on ModNation Racers by both boosting with other people and self-boosting myself with a number of alternate accounts... Wouldn't have made it in any other way lol Right now I am planning on getting the Plat on Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!! Great game but needless to say that the online is dead. Good thing I already have a partner to boost those online wins :)

As for guides, yes and no. If the trophies are easy and straightforward, I avoid them. If the game has a medium difficulty, then I do a quick check on the guide to have an idea of what to do. If the game is hard as hell, then I resort on using them for the most part. Also, I always check the introduction or opening of any guide beforehand to see if there are missable trophies in order to save on unnecessary playthroughs.

I personally got into boosting when I finally decided to clear my PS3 backlog some years ago (thing that I still hope to carry out ?). When I look back at those trophies though, I don't really feel them "mine"...yeah boosting requires organization and effort especially when you need 8-10 players but it's not really challenging you to fulfill the real requirements for the trophy...I even self-boosted some games to speed things up but I'm somehow regretting it now...my initial plan was and still is to boost all the old PS3 online trophies and then, when making the transition to the PS4, try to get all the online trophies the hard way, even if that implies giving up on some trophies due to lack of skills. So I never really liked boosting, I was doing it to speed things up a bit...well you even get to know cool people which is definitely the main reason why I kept on boosting but it's time to move on...after completing Payday The Heist I hope I can finally start getting trophies the way I always wanted to ?

Edited by Major Rain

Multiplayer trophies are off the table as far as I'm concerned, they are absolute garbage, often shoehorned into games that shouldn't be there in the first place. People don't play it, modes are dead, requirements are often ridiculous. Perform X while doing X within X seconds of X on map X with X players. Kiss my arse, chances of this ever occurring within the game are infinitesimal.

If waiting for that small window to present itself, much akin to waiting for a lottery win makes you an Ultimate Trophy Hunter then nah, sod that, I'm a cheat.

Co-op trophies normally require skill and co-ordination and although I don't particularly like them as it requires other people, I at least respect them.

I have done a few games without boosting:

Ghostbusters (servers closed before I knew about boosting, perfect example of why I now boost online trophies)

Dead Island

Bioshock 2

Doom

The Last of Us

I don't think there will be many trophy hunters that won't have boosted trophies due to the above, but if you genuinely have never boosted your online trophies then, for what it's worth, hats off to you.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of the AEOTM trophy in AC Brotherhood, probably one of the hardest achievement I can think of...but I remember watching a YouTube video of an Xbox guy who actually got it "legit"...impressive.

I do enjoy co-op trophies but I reckon that competitive trophies can be a real pain in the ass especially if you don't like the online.

8 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Multiplayer trophies are off the table as far as I'm concerned, they are absolute garbage, often shoehorned into games that shouldn't be there in the first place. People don't play it, modes are dead, requirements are often ridiculous. Perform X while doing X within X seconds of X on map X with X players. Kiss my arse, chances of this ever occurring within the game are infinitesimal.

If waiting for that small window to present itself, much akin to waiting for a lottery win makes you an Ultimate Trophy Hunter then nah, sod that, I'm a cheat.

Co-op trophies normally require skill and co-ordination and although I don't particularly like them as it requires other people, I at least respect them.

I have done a few games without boosting:

Ghostbusters (servers closed before I knew about boosting, perfect example of why I now boost online trophies)

Dead Island

Bioshock 2

Doom

The Last of Us

I don't think there will be many trophy hunters that won't have boosted trophies due to the above, but if you genuinely have never boosted your online trophies then, for what it's worth, hats off to you.

This.  Good on people who do it legit.  However, there are a number of problems with console multiplayer modes (limited population, short life span, etc).  I don't fault anyone for boosting.  Heck, finding a boosting partner can be hard in and of itself. 

I put boosting in the same class as saving, picking option A, popping a trophy, loading, picking option B and popping the other trophy.  All you're doing is by-passing a grind that proves nothing.

Frankly, I take my sweet time with games and I have a big backlog.  Online adds a ticking clock to the platinum that annoys me endlessly.   

The only game on my profile that I have boosted a few trophies is Overwatch. Trophies like Rapid Discord & Cratered are nigh on impossible to get through normal play without timing, skill & above all else, insane luck.

Everything else on my profile I've earned properly whether through trial & error or playing with friends, sometimes even just brute force doing something over & over till I get it.

I do plan on playing Bulletstorm soon though & I hear the online playerbase for that is non-existent so sadly I will have 2 find a couple of people to boost at least the 2 trophies that require multiple people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, IgorPro-PS said:

There are different types of trophy hunters. We have to boost old ps3 games because nobody wants to play online )

On 15/9/2018 at 0:24 AM, Rattamauled said:

I do plan on playing Bulletstorm soon though & I hear the online playerbase for that is non-existent so sadly I will have 2 find a couple of people to boost at least the 2 trophies that require multiple people.

You guys could actually find players who are willing to get the trophies "legit" but it's definitely harder than finding boosters so I understand if you'd rather boost it.

Some time ago there were 2 guys who where looking for players willing to get Uncharted 2 or 3 (can't remember) trophies by playing normally.

1 hour ago, Major Rain said:

You guys could actually find players who are willing to get the trophies "legit" but it's definitely harder than finding boosters so I understand if you'd rather boost it.

Some time ago there were 2 guys who where looking for players willing to get Uncharted 2 or 3 (can't remember) trophies by playing normally.

The online trophies for Bulletstorm are co-op, it's has no VS multiplayer. So the trophies would have to be earned legit, I just refered to it as boosting as that's what this thread is about.

• Like 1

I actually prefer to do online trophies without boosting, but only for games where I actually enjoy the multiplayer. I find it really nice when you can have fun playing with others, while still having the trophies on the back of your mind and trying to work slowly towards them, it feels like you have something greater to achieve than only the match victory. My favourite trophies are definitely the online trophies in the Battlefield games, I had such a great time trying the Platinum in Battlefield 3.

The guide question... I rarely try to do anything in a game without first reading every single detail about the trophies. ? And glitches I'm all for them. Always happy when I can save some time through using them.