Better than God of War?

SuperSaiyan3985

I was wondering which one do you guys think is better, Spider-Man or God of War? Compare the games overall, combining both gameplay and story. Personally, I liked GOW's story more but enjoyed Spider-Man's combat more than GOW's so they both balance each other out for me and I honestly can't choose between them haha. Nonetheless, they're both great games in their own regard.

• Like 1

God of War reached a special place for me it was such an amazing game. Comparing them God of War wins in all aspects. Though still massive thumbs up for Spiderman as I loved the game and swinging around like him on a massive TV screen is the closest for now I get to be like him:awesome: As a kid I was such a Spidey fanboy and wanted to get bit by a spider. Luckily in my country we can't get killed  that easy by a spider ?

• Like 2

God of War by a mile. Spiderman is polished but its pretty repetitive and despite its strong story telling, graphical polish and depth of mechanics, the open world design and mission structure make the game feel like a 90s design wrapped in 2018 polish. Spiderman plays it really safe and does not have a single innovative element. God of war and it's single camera shot with no loading is actually a cinematic innovation I hope to see in more games. Spiderman may deserve a spot in the top 10, but it should not even be considered for overall GOTY (unless its genre specific or something) while GoW should be the "game to beat".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danceswithsloths said:

personally I'm finding Spider Man more fun, plain and simple. GoW was, is, and always will be amazing, but when im playing as Spider Man i find myself enjoying it so much that i gotta give the upper hand to spidey.

While GOW’s gameplay is very rewarding and better in some aspects than Spider-Man’s, I too had more fun with Spider-Man’s combat. It’s just fluid and easy to pick up.

5 hours ago, Devasstator said:

God of War by a mile. Spiderman is polished but its pretty repetitive and despite its strong story telling, graphical polish and depth of mechanics, the open world design and mission structure make the game feel like a 90s design wrapped in 2018 polish. Spiderman plays it really safe and does not have a single innovative element. God of war and it's single camera shot with no loading is actually a cinematic innovation I hope to see in more games. Spiderman may deserve a spot in the top 10, but it should not even be considered for overall GOTY (unless its genre specific or something) while GoW should be the "game to beat".

Ok I highly disagree with the statement that it shouldn’t even be considered for GOTY. This is the first major superhero game since Batman Arkham, and it actually deserves to be put up there with them. 

4 hours ago, JNSpradlin said:

God of War is the better game, while Spider Man I am having more fun, but only by a small margin. Its weird.

Haha same.

5 hours ago, Nucle377 said:

Nope.Much worse.

Ok.

5 hours ago, Neme-ita said:

Absolute NOPE, and is even WORSE then masterpiece Arkham games. Is "only" a good game Spiderman

I understood about 70% of your reply, please clarify.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

While GOW’s gameplay is very rewarding and better in some aspects than Spider-Man’s, I too had more fun with Spider-Man’s combat. It’s just fluid and easy to pick up.

Ok I highly disagree with the statement that it shouldn’t even be considered for GOTY. This is the first major superhero game since Batman Arkham, and it actually deserves to be put up there with them. 

Haha same.

Ok.

I understood about 70% of your reply, please clarify.

Is worse than God of war and all Batman Arkham series. IMHO is "only" a good game 

Well, I've never played God of War, but I have played Spider-Man, and as such, I've spent a lot more time with Spider-Man, and of the two games, it's definitely the one I've played and enjoyed the most.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

They are very different games but both are excellent, fun, and well made games. I would give the nod to God of War though. It just captivated me like very few games have in my lifetime. It was a true masterpiece. Spider-Man is a great game and the GOAT Spider-Man game, but I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece. 

• Like 2

I played the previous GoW games, and don't have a lot of background in Norse mythology. I loved GoW, it was an incredible game, but I'm one of the people trying to actually hash this question out. I think that in terms of world content, GoW wins, the world was perfectly designed, the side-content (outside mists/fire lands which were extra extend the game zones) was great. It just never felt old at any point. That being said, for me, Spider-Man wins for its story and I think slightly on combat. I will say I'm a person that puts story ahead as the most important aspect (Detroit is my 3rd favorite game this year), but the Spider-Man story almost made me cry, so I will give them both their due at the end of the year, but so far it could be my favorite PS4 game overall. 

• Like 1

I had very high expectations for God of War and was mostly disappointed. Didn't like the story for the first few hours (and a few parts later on), thought the fights against Balder were boring and never got into the combat. Also never really could get over the different voice actor for Kratos and prefer the gameplay of the previous games.

With Spider-Man I had rather low expectations and was surprised by how much fun I had swinging around, jumping into fights and always wanted to know where the story was going next.

11 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well, I've never played God of War, but I have played Spider-Man, and as such, I've spent a lot more time with Spider-Man, and of the two games, it's definitely the one I've played and enjoyed the most.

because you havent the played other, what a lame post lol.

As someone that has both and played both, i agree while that i had a lot more fun with spiderman.

God of War just elevates gaming on every step,

Bad ass soundtrack? Check

Great story? Check

Innovative gameplay AND stepping out of their comfort zone? Check

So far from what i have played this year god of war is the game to beat, while spiderman is in top 3( for me)

• Like 1

They're both beautiful games with good combat, and I greatly enjoyed both.

However. Looking at the way GOW integrated the story so expertly into the flow of the game, while Spider-Man delivered story through those stupid MJ and Miles segments... there is just no comparison. They both have a good story; it's that GOW feathers it in so well, just blends it into the overall experience of playing, while Spider-Man rams it down your throat with chunks of bad stealth gameplay.

They're both extremely fun, but in the area of storytelling, there is a huge disparity. God of War is on a way higher level.

• Like 1

I can't talk in terms of each game quality because I didn't play GoW.

What I can say is that since the first time I saw GoW I had no interest. The game overall looked boring. Combat looked slow and simple, the I didn't like the look of the very close camera (whoch I guess is to hide Atreus teleporting around to catch up to you for context sensitive actions), I don't care for the dynamic father-son, and other than pretty graphics (which is the last thing I care about in a game) I didn't see much.

I wasn't gonna get Spider-Man either, but I saw someone play and the moment the initial cutscene goes into swinging I already felt like wanting to try it out. I kept watching for like 50 more minutes and the very next day I bought the game. Keep in mind I'm someone who enjoyed the moving around and comoleting objectives in the Prototype games, and this makes me feel just like that, but with cooler movement and funnier dialogue.

In other words, I think Spider-Man is an easier sell just by showing some gameplay, while GoW can be deeper so it does't show as well.

God of War was a better game for me if I had to pick. I’m also a long-time Spidey fan and was new to the GoW series, so definitely no bias involved.

With this game I felt that Act II dragged on a bit too long, I was much more interested in Act III but a lot of it felt tacked onto the very end. I was also (really) disappointed in the lack of variety with crimes- there were pretty much only 3 crime events that were shared between all the thug types. I was expecting a bit more interaction with citizens like older games had done. 

My main complaint with GoW was the lack of variety with enemies. I would’ve preferred a couple more bosses but I understand that it was focused on the father-son story above everything else. And I preferred Spider-Man’s combat.

They’re both excellent games but I’d just say that GoW has the edge for me. 

• Like 1