Against the Arkham Franchise

SuperSaiyan3985

So it's time to answer the question, Spider-Man or Batman Arkham? This is the first AAA superhero game since so I've been greatly anticipating this result, and I must say I think Spider-Man's better than every Arkham game except City. I like Spider-Man's fighting style more than Batman's seeing as how he can practically fight mid-air LOL, but both games have similar and very fun gameplay regardless. The reason I like City more is because for one I think it has a better story (not by a large margin), and the side-missions are better executed. Mind you, I'm slightly biased towards Batman because he's my favorite superhero ever ?. Let me know your guys' take!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, triplejmzu8 said:

Batman. I just dislike Spider-Man and Marvel.

Even if you feel this way, you are not comparing both games, simply stating your opinion.

I'm enjoying Spider-Man a LOT compared to what I played Arkham Knight but when compared with Arkham City they are both up there. I prefer the combat on Batman games, the "Quick Gadget" shortcuts makes a non stop action fight scene against your foes that look amazing and in the case of Spider-man it kills it a little every time you need to switch your gadget. Overall game and traveling from place to place, Spider-Man does it just Perfectly, the swinging and running on building and using your zips is a lot more fun than the Batman's way.

It's all about preference imo, Spider-man is much easier but more fun to play, when compared to the slow paced Batman games, if it makes any sense :P

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

You could've easily merged this with the Spider-Man vs God of War thread :facepalm: .

Uh no they’re completely different games.

7 hours ago, triplejmzu8 said:

Batman. I just dislike Spider-Man and Marvel.

So you didn’t even play the game, noted.

6 hours ago, DoucetDudes said:

I prefer this to the Arkham series. Only Arkham game I really liked was Asylum. The rest felt too bloated for their own good.

Well that’s an unpopular opinion.

4 hours ago, bpmotard said:

Even if you feel this way, you are not comparing both games, simply stating your opinion.

I'm enjoying Spider-Man a LOT compared to what I played Arkham Knight but when compared with Arkham City they are both up there. I prefer the combat on Batman games, the "Quick Gadget" shortcuts makes a non stop action fight scene against your foes that look amazing and in the case of Spider-man it kills it a little every time you need to switch your gadget. Overall game and traveling from place to place, Spider-Man does it just Perfectly, the swinging and running on building and using your zips is a lot more fun than the Batman's way.

It's all about preference imo, Spider-man is much easier but more fun to play, when compared to the slow paced Batman games, if it makes any sense :P

I agree the gadgets in Spider-Man just seemed like a chore to integrate into combat. Of course, I try to utilize everything as much as possible, so when I remember I’ll use them. 

• Like 1

I prefer Arkham Asylum and City. 

I absolutely love Spider-Man and I’m having a blast, but I just felt like Batman more in Arkham than I feel like Spider-Man in Spider-Man. 

Arkham felt just a tad bit more authentic to me, but I haven’t been able to figure out why I feel that way. 

• Like 2

I like Spider-Man over Arkham, actually.

Played the Arkham franchise on older account before, and started with the 'remastered' versions on current account on PS4.

The thing with Batman, even though the combat system is awesome and everything, it feels a bit slower and "forced" in my opinion. Where Spider-Man is a bit more fluent and faster, it feels more natural, so to say.

The atmoshpere in Batman is a bit darker, and perhaps a bit more aimed at a more... adult... public? Not sure how to describe it.

Spider-Man is more a funny atmosphere. But, that's Spider-Man in general, I think.

Overall, both great and awesome games. But personally, I like Spider-Man more.

Not because of Marvel vs DC and everything, but because of the gameplay, mechanics and feeling. For me, Spider-Man wins on all fronts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

But the threads are about the same thing: comparing this game with other series and asking people's thoughts about it.

I could've merged them but it would get confusing trying to differentiate between those that have played both games and those that haven't. Not everyone's played GOW, and not everyone's played Batman Arkham, but there are people that may have played one. Just easier to keep track of people's thoughts.

6 hours ago, Trellgoth said:

I like Spider-Man over Arkham, actually.

Played the Arkham franchise on older account before, and started with the 'remastered' versions on current account on PS4.

The thing with Batman, even though the combat system is awesome and everything, it feels a bit slower and "forced" in my opinion. Where Spider-Man is a bit more fluent and faster, it feels more natural, so to say.

The atmoshpere in Batman is a bit darker, and perhaps a bit more aimed at a more... adult... public? Not sure how to describe it.

Spider-Man is more a funny atmosphere. But, that's Spider-Man in general, I think.

Overall, both great and awesome games. But personally, I like Spider-Man more.

Not because of Marvel vs DC and everything, but because of the gameplay, mechanics and feeling. For me, Spider-Man wins on all fronts.

I don't think Spider-Man essentially hovering in mid-air is considered "natural," if anything Batman's combat is more realistic, but I definitely see where you're coming from regarding the games' atmospheres. Of course, that is entirely dependent on the mood of the universes so different strokes for different folks. 

I prefer the Arkham series. To me the combat was way more rewarding because you had to think more about what you are doing in combat. Spidey’s combat, I pretty much launched everyone in the air and stayed up there. No challenge. Even dodging in Spidey was easier than in Arkham. I also enjoyed how easily it was to integrate gadgets in Batman’s combat than Spidey’s. Spidey’s was too slow and clunky. Overworld traversal was way more fun in Spidey though. Can’t beat the feeling of swinging across the city than gliding over the city. Overall, Batman over Spidey. Both great franchises though!

• Like 2

On 9/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

So it's time to answer the question, Spider-Man or Batman Arkham? This is the first AAA superhero game since so I've been greatly anticipating this result, and I must say I think Spider-Man's better than every Arkham game except City. I like Spider-Man's fighting style more than Batman's seeing as how he can practically fight mid-air LOL, but both games have similar and very fun gameplay regardless. The reason I like City more is because for one I think it has a better story (not by a large margin), and the side-missions are better executed. Mind you, I'm slightly biased towards Batman because he's my favorite superhero ever 1f61c.png. Let me know your guys' take!

Batman, though I prefer Spider-Man's combat, as you don't lose the combo if you don't move fast enough...and you dont have to use every fucking gadget in one combo. If Arkham didn't have combat challenges, it'd 100% be them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

just curious, how is this game compared to the gta franchise?...

ha ha ha ... Having played neither (yet) I can still confirm blindfolded that Spiderman is pretty much family friendly wholesome fun and the gta franchise is .... not. 

I am enjoying Spider-man more but it might be recency bias. I feel I am better at the combat in Spider-man as I could barely complete the Arkham combat challenges. After playing Spider-man I think I might buy the Arkham collection and play them again. Maybe I'll be better now. 

I do wish the way the story is presented to you in the game would get a little more creative. Step one; complete a story mission. Step two; get a phone call from Mary Jane (or Alfred in Batman) telling you where to go next. Repeat. 

Here's another question for everyone. The Arkham games showed that you could make a great superhero game with fluid combat and different versions of the characters you might not have seen in the movies/comics. Are other Superheros going to get games that just copy the style of Arkham/Spider-man games? Would that be a bad thing? Are there other ways to do a superhero game that are as compelling and fun after this winning formula?

Edited by EPICRAGE
  • Like 2