Against the Arkham Franchise

SuperSaiyan3985

The main problem with comparing Spidey to the Arkham games is that the Arkham games have at least 3 main games to its name while this only has the one so far.  I mean, the Arkham games had time to switch things up and test new things out, while Spidey here, just the one game, so it really hasn't done anything else.  I mean, if there was another game to Spidey's name, a sequel at the very least, then it would be better to compare.

But if you're comparing it to one of the Arkham games, whichever one it may be, then it would be more fair in that case.

So really, I can't decide, because again, Spidey only has the one name to it right now.  If there were a sequel to Spidey already released, then I'd at least be able to tell that way, on what route Spidey takes, if they improve upon things, if they introduce another mechanic or two, if they bring in the Spidey-copter for some vehicle related mayhem.  Really, only time will tell at the moment.

Combat: Arkham franchise

Exploration/Free roaming: Spider-Man ( Web-swinging and such never seems to get old)

Story: Can't say at the moment as I haven't finished the story in Spider-Man yet.

This is just my opinion. The combat in Spider-man does take some getting used to but it is a lot of fun once you know what you're doing.

48 minutes ago, heartofcyberlife said:

ha ha ha ... Having played neither (yet) I can still confirm blindfolded that Spiderman is pretty much family friendly wholesome fun and the gta franchise is .... not. 

on that note then...my son had the choice of spiderman or batman shoes for school and chose ninja turtle and batman ones...so my vote goes to batman being better...cowabunga...

side note : sadly they didn't have any gta ones readily available or I'm sure he would've chosen them for both pairs...to make up for the lack of quality products, I taught him how to steal a car, which we took home from the shoe store...don't blame me, blame the shoes...

Edited by ProfBambam55

21 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

on that note then...my son had the choice of spiderman or batman shoes for school and chose ninja turtle and batman ones...so my vote goes to batman being better...cowabunga...

side note : sadly they didn't have any gta ones readily available or I'm sure he would've chosen them for both pairs...to make up for the lack of quality products, I taught him how to steal a car, which we took home from the shoe store...don't blame me, blame the shoes...

I get your not so subtle points about gta on an unrelated thread .... But I thought this topic was about comparing one hero's game to another's .... Rather than heros versus villains .... Shazam ...lol

While I do think Marvel's Spider-Man is an excellent game, the combat to me is just so subpar compared to the Arkham series. The lack of quick-fire gadget keys is irritating when you're trying to chain together combos, it ends up feeling clunky and slow as soon as you try to swap between gadgets and you just end up mashing square for the most part and dodging. The Ratchet and Clank weapon wheel works great in Ratchet and Clank but not so much in Spider-Man. 

• Like 1

Spiderman is a great game there is no denying that but it's never going to be anywhere near as good as the arkham games imo. I've had a good few goes at my friends, I'll definitely get it when the price drops. I just don't see the point paying full price for games anymore.

The arkham games are just so dark and atmospheric with a top smooth combat system (minus the shit camera!). Some of the greatest villains of all time are in those games and their characters are spot on. Marvel has always been more childlike with presentation were as DC is darker and alot more brutal. Being more arkham games already there to only the one spidey they may have an unfair advantage but no. Comparing Spiderman to batman and the baddies to each other is like comparing bronze to platinum. No contest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Lets compare it to infamous

and god of war

and batman

any other games ffs?

how many shitty threads do we need for this game

you guys are watering down this game with stupid posts

its getting a little redundant at this point and i totally get where @Dragon-Archon is coming from

You forgot Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, Darksiders, Saints Row IV, and Prototype. Oh and let's throw Dark Souls in there too, since that's the cool thing to do nowadays :P .

• Like 1

The combat and stealth/predator sections are much better in the Arkham games. Exploration is more or less the same (not Asylum), though web-swinging is possibly a bit more fun. But the biggest difference lies in the sidequests. The sidequests in the Arkham games are a lot better. Like, they're miles above.

• Like 1

Without a doubt Arkham. I love Spider Man but the further I get into it the more it feels like a homage to Arkham. The combat (Arkham's combat is more polished imo), stealth take downs, extensive rogues gallery, etc.

Two things I do enjoy about Spider Man is the easier difficulty (and I am playing through on Spectacular difficulty) and Spidey's corny quips (The "Spider Cop" jokes in particular?)

• Like 1

Against? Well, you're not friendly!

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

You forgot Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, Darksiders, Saints Row IV, and Prototype. Oh and let's throw Dark Souls in there too, since that's the cool thing to do nowadays :P .

And Age of Empires II.

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, heartofcyberlife said:

I get your not so subtle points about gta on an unrelated thread .... But I thought this topic was about comparing one hero's game to another's .... Rather than heros versus villains .... Shazam ...lol

niko bellic is the hero we all need...and is also a great bowling partner...just ask his cousin...

side note : my son's best friend at school's name is niko (seriously it is)...there are no peters or bruces in his class...this indicates that gta is better as well...haha...

Edited by ProfBambam55

13 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

How so?

Level design, puzzle solving, riddlers etc... All is better on Arkham series 

9 hours ago, Shinobi said:

Exploration/Free roaming: Spider-Man ( Web-swinging and such never seems to get old)

Is a JOKE? On Batman you use gadget like metroidvania games open the awesome level design. How is possible Spiderman is better? Is super linear 

1 hour ago, Juzota said:

but Spider-man is way better than Arkham Knight.

Nope 

• Like 1

The combat in Arkham to me felt like an evolution of the combat in Spider-Man 2 on Xbox in 2004 (which is why I scoff at anyone who claims that this game "copied" Arkham) so this game is sort of like a homecoming for that system. Not necessarily saying Spider-Man 2 did the whole proto-Freeflow Combat thing first either, it was just the earliest game I played like it.

The Batman games are more polished in gameplay, have stories that are better streamlined with many of the rogues gallery along the way, the side missions are less of a chore and the rogues gallery in total is better.

This post looks to be a hard rip on Spider-Man, but I am enjoying Spider-Man a lot. I just think the Batman games were better in every way exept the total overworld (for City/Knight, because for Asylum it was more of a contained aread), and except for zany fun. Spider-Man is much more humourous, and webbing around Manhattan feels much more fun than gliding through Gotham.

15 hours ago, EPICRAGE said:

I am enjoying Spider-man more but it might be recency bias. I feel I am better at the combat in Spider-man as I could barely complete the Arkham combat challenges. After playing Spider-man I think I might buy the Arkham collection and play them again. Maybe I'll be better now. 

I do wish the way the story is presented to you in the game would get a little more creative. Step one; complete a story mission. Step two; get a phone call from Mary Jane (or Alfred in Batman) telling you where to go next. Repeat. 

Here's another question for everyone. The Arkham games showed that you could make a great superhero game with fluid combat and different versions of the characters you might not have seen in the movies/comics. Are other Superheros going to get games that just copy the style of Arkham/Spider-man games? Would that be a bad thing? Are there other ways to do a superhero game that are as compelling and fun after this winning formula?

You know I’ve always wanted an Iron Man game, which, if it were to happen, would be unlike anything we’ve seen before. Just imagine.

15 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

The main problem with comparing Spidey to the Arkham games is that the Arkham games have at least 3 main games to its name while this only has the one so far.  I mean, the Arkham games had time to switch things up and test new things out, while Spidey here, just the one game, so it really hasn't done anything else.  I mean, if there was another game to Spidey's name, a sequel at the very least, then it would be better to compare.

But if you're comparing it to one of the Arkham games, whichever one it may be, then it would be more fair in that case.

So really, I can't decide, because again, Spidey only has the one name to it right now.  If there were a sequel to Spidey already released, then I'd at least be able to tell that way, on what route Spidey takes, if they improve upon things, if they introduce another mechanic or two, if they bring in the Spidey-copter for some vehicle related mayhem.  Really, only time will tell at the moment.

I mean if you compare it with the Arkham franchises as a whole, or hell just Arkham Asylum, it should be evident which one is more to your tastes. The Arkham series did innovated a lot yes but the foundation remained more or less constant.

14 hours ago, Shinobi said:

Combat: Arkham franchise

Story: Can't say at the moment as I haven't finished the story in Spider-Man yet.

This is just my opinion. The combat in Spider-man does take some getting used to but it is a lot of fun once you know what you're doing.

The combat is a lot easier to grasp than Arkham’s, even though I thought it’d be the opposite.

13 hours ago, STONE-WALL-666 said:

While I do think Marvel's Spider-Man is an excellent game, the combat to me is just so subpar compared to the Arkham series. The lack of quick-fire gadget keys is irritating when you're trying to chain together combos, it ends up feeling clunky and slow as soon as you try to swap between gadgets and you just end up mashing square for the most part and dodging. The Ratchet and Clank weapon wheel works great in Ratchet and Clank but not so much in Spider-Man. 

I agree even though it on paper pressing R1 to fire a gadget is simple enough, it just doesn’t integrate all that well with combat. It felt like a task having to incorporate a variety of gadgets that way.

12 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

Spiderman is a great game there is no denying that but it's never going to be anywhere near as good as the arkham games imo. I've had a good few goes at my friends, I'll definitely get it when the price drops. I just don't see the point paying full price for games anymore.

The arkham games are just so dark and atmospheric with a top smooth combat system (minus the shit camera!). Some of the greatest villains of all time are in those games and their characters are spot on. Marvel has always been more childlike with presentation were as DC is darker and alot more brutal. Being more arkham games already there to only the one spidey they may have an unfair advantage but no. Comparing Spiderman to batman and the baddies to each other is like comparing bronze to platinum. No contest. 

You haven’t even played it enough it so your opinion doesn’t count.

Secondly, the reason people pay full price is to play a game the moment it’s out, since a lot of us have been waiting over two year since for this. That and so that we aren’t spoiled beforehand.

8 hours ago, Zarmatura93 said:

The combat and stealth/predator sections are much better in the Arkham games. Exploration is more or less the same (not Asylum), though web-swinging is possibly a bit more fun. But the biggest difference lies in the sidequests. The sidequests in the Arkham games are a lot better. Like, they're miles above.

Agreed, side-quests are much more condensed in Spider-Man.

4 minutes ago, Colum69 said:

Ya nothing is going to beat god of war for me!!! God of war goty

Why did you reply to this post, and more specifically why are you quoting his reply when it doesn’t correlate with what you just said?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neme-ita said:

Level design, puzzle solving, riddlers etc... All is better on Arkham series 

Nope 

Well I mean when you break it down like that then yeah; I'd have to agree with you on the level design, puzzles and such being better on Arkham.

What I met was strictly going from point A to B is a lot more fun in Spider-man than in any of the Arkham games (Although driving around in the Batmobile in Arkham Knight was lots of fun). Simply grappling and shooting over ledges followed by gliding from one objective to another got boring quite quickly in the Arkham games. But in Spider-Man, I'm still having tons of fun going from objective to objective.

To put it in perspective; Spider-Man has a fast travel option that I don't even use unless I have to lol. 

17 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

You haven’t even played it enough it so your opinion doesn’t count.

Secondly, the reason people pay full price is to play a game the moment it’s out, since a lot of us have been waiting over two year since for this. That and so that we aren’t spoiled beforehand.

I've played it alot, but well if you say my opinion doesn't count then fair enough. You certainly told me. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Comparing a franchise to a single game? Yup, fair.

Predicting that a new series will never be as good as the Arkham series after a single game? Also fair.

You referring to me? I literally said I like it better than most of the Arkham games. You should actually read the post before judging the author next time.

4 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

I've played it alot, but well if you say my opinion doesn't count then fair enough. You certainly told me. 1f630.png

From what I understood you said you played it at your friends house, so I would assume that was only a couple hours. 

Honestly I feel its like comparing apples to oranges. The Arkham series seems a bit more story focused than Spider-Man did. It also has a mild metroidvania aspect to it, where Spider-Man is a complete open world game. I do see the same DNA of both games in the combat, but I really had a tough time playing Spider-Man at first because I was trying to play it like a Arkham game when fighting. After learning you do not play that way and to focus more on dodging and environment usage, I started really having a blast playing it. Overall I prefer the Arkham games but after playing Spider-Man, I would not want it in that style. It fits perfectly as Insomniac made it.