Infamous Similarity?

TylerrXO

I see where you're coming from but I think it's just the basic makeup of an open world game and trophy list, complete districts unlock radio towers clear outposts etc. The infamous comparison makes sense due to the superpowers and hero themes but spider-man is basically just following all open world games proven formula. I get open world fatigue pretty often but Spider-man is way too fun for that to happen.

25 minutes ago, KingTylerr7 said:

I can not be the only one who thinks this game is really similar to infamous second sun? Trophies and game layout seem really similar

4 minutes ago, Armored Squirrel said:

Probably some inspiration from inFamous and Prototype. 

I'd say if anything, it's more like inspiration from their own game Sunset Overdrive

• Like 3

The list is similar to Batman: Arkham Knight, without the more difficult challenges and trophies like Brutality 101. You clear districts out in Spider-Man in much the same vein you took out the watchtowers and the militia in the three main sectors of Gotham City in Batman: Arkham Knight.

There is also quite a similarity to inFamous and Prototype, as people have pointed out.

On 14/09/2018 at 1:45 AM, Gommes_ said:

Please don't say that. 1f605.png I wanna buy Spiderman eventually and Second Son was just okay for me. I mean Peter Parker can't be a bigger douche than the guy from Second Son right?

I really didn't like Infamous at all, I thought it was a pretty poor game, story, traversal, combat, all seemed tedious and annoying to me.

Spider-Man however is incredibly fun, swinging is smooth and the combat is surprisingly involved, would highly recommend picking up Spider-Man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, closertim said:

Was going to get this game one day but if it's anything like infamous second son I won't be.  Biggest pile of shit I've ever played.  

It's not. The only similarity is this game is also pretty short. (It will be getting a bunch of post game content though unlike SS where you had to just buy another seperate game.) Everything else about Spider-Man is way better though.

If we're talking about similar trophy lists, why not start at the beginning with the first (IIRC) open world trophy game on the PS3; GTAIV?

-Unlock the map

-Get the collectibles

-Finish a specific side quest line

-Milestones for doing the main quest line

-Do some random shit that can be completed within minutes after starting the game

• Like 1

As I've platinumed both InFamous: Second Son and Spider-Man I can comfortably say they're both pretty good games. They both have really fun traversal systems that make moving through the game a joy and just fun in itself. They both have decent stories with good villains though I think Spider-Man has the better story if only because it has more colourful villains to draw from. I thought Second Son had a better selection of powers and more options, though Spider-Man uses the options it has more effectively particularly in combat where Spider-Man shines considerably. While Second Son borrows from the likes of God Of War with simple beat-em-up gameplay, Spider-Man takes the contextual combat of the Arkham series as a baseline and adds so much to it. It's very free-form and there's loads of ways to approach combat that makes it feel very personalised and customisable.

As for the trophy lists and general completion. They both rely heavily on genre tropes. Both have somewhat repetitive missions. Both get only moderate points for their world map, (one is just Seattle, the other is just Manhatten; so they didn't need to be particularly creative). They are naturally very similar as they're open world superhero sandbox games and if you didn't like one, you probably won't like the other. They are very similar games and anyone who says they're not is lying to you. They're not identical, there's noticeable differences that will make the games feel distinct but they're the same style and genre.

Personally, I prefer InFamous: Second Son. I just found that game to be a hair more fun to play. In Spider-Man, the forced stealth sections where you're playing as Mary Jane etc. drag a bit and there where a few too many of the repetitive randomly generated "crime" missions in each district, I felt. It just bordered on tedious at the very end... but that's a nit-pick. Honestly, they're both fantastic games, well worth a play through, but if you're not either an open world fan or a Spider-Man fan, this game isn't going to blow your mind. I'm thankfully both, which is why I got the Platinum in 5 days.

Hopefully this helped. 

7 hours ago, closertim said:

Was going to get this game one day but if it's anything like infamous second son I won't be.  Biggest pile of shit I've ever played.  

It is quite similar to InFamous: Second Son... don't bother buying Spider Man

If you think InFamous: Second Son is the "biggest pile of shit you've ever played", you either have terrible taste in games (probably the case), or you've been so incredibly lucky to have never played an actually bad game that it boggles the mind. In all seriousness, if you feel that strongly about InFamous though, you'll probably hate Spider-Man too. They're both quite similar, I know, I'm got the platinum in both games; so while we clearly disagree in gaming tastes, you know I'm not bullshitting here. Not sure why people in this thread are trying to act like it's substantially different to InFamous, because it's not; you'll only end up disappointed when you buy it and then find out that these people are lying to you.

If you genuinely hated InFamous: Second Son, you'll almost certainly hate Spider-Man too... (but then you probably don't know what "fun" is. I bet you hate Breaking Bad, chocolate, roller-coasters, and sex too don't you. Damn weirdo!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BurnedChipmunk said:

It is quite similar to InFamous: Second Son... don't bother buying Spider Man

If you think InFamous: Second Son is the "biggest pile of shit you've ever played", you either have terrible taste in games (probably the case), or you've been so incredibly lucky to have never played an actually bad game that it boggles the mind. In all seriousness, if you feel that strongly about InFamous though, you'll probably hate Spider-Man too. They're both quite similar, I know, I'm got the platinum in both games; so while we clearly disagree in gaming tastes, you know I'm not bullshitting here. Not sure why people in this thread are trying to act like it's substantially different to InFamous, because it's not; you'll only end up disappointed when you buy it and then find out that these people are lying to you.

If you genuinely hated InFamous: Second Son, you'll almost certainly hate Spider-Man too... (but then you probably don't know what "fun" is. I bet you hate Breaking Bad, chocolate, roller-coasters, and sex too don't you. Damn weirdo!)

All I know is that the only time I had fun with second son was when I deleted it off the hard drive.  Guess I'll stay clear of this game and enjoy my 'terrible taste in games' instead.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/09/2018 at 1:28 PM, closertim said:

All I know is that the only time I had fun with second son was when I deleted it off the hard drive.  Guess I'll stay clear of this game and enjoy my 'terrible taste in games' instead.  

I'm glad I could give you some actual advice. Hopefully you realise I'm being sarcastic with my comments... the whole dry British humour thing tends to get taken as actual serious hate-comments by some people. Like I say, we have VERY different taste in games. I think Spider-Man is one of the best games of the year, but I also thought InFamous: Second Son was fantastic. Gaming is naturally an extremely personal and subjective thing so, good luck finding games you enjoy; whatever they may be. 

2 hours ago, BurnedChipmunk said:

I'm glad I could give you some actual advice. Hopefully you realise I'm being sarcastic with my comments... the whole dry British humour thing tends to get taken as actual serious hate-comments by some people. Like I say, we have VERY different taste in games. I think Spider-Man is one of the best games of the year, but I also thought InFamous: Second Son was fantastic. Gaming is naturally an extremely personal and subjective thing so, good luck finding games you enjoy; whatever they may be. 

I think I'm over the whole 3rd person open world kind of games apart from rockstars offerings. They're so unoriginal to me.  Side quests, collectibles, unlocking new powers all seems so repetitive.  In saying that I didn't mind just cause 3. 

1 hour ago, closertim said:

I think I'm over the whole 3rd person open world kind of games apart from rockstars offerings. They're so unoriginal to me.  Side quests, collectibles, unlocking new powers all seems so repetitive.  In saying that I didn't mind just cause 3. 

See, what you're describing there is pretty much what I look for in a game. A narrative driven open world, with a smattering of side missions, and enough collectables that I'm encouraged to explore without being tedious; all with a progression system where new abilities are opened up as the game progresses. If it wants to go full RPG with this progression system, that's cool. All in all I want the game to be longer than 15 hours; but if it's more than 40 hours I'm unlikely to finish it unless it's particularly good. Around 25-35 hours is perfect.

The interesting thing is; I'm not a fan of the Just Cause series. Admittedly I've not played Just Cause 3, but I didn't find the first two all that fulfilling. The narrative elements where so hands off and minimal that it felt more "sandbox" than a constructed open-world experience. Sure, sometimes an open ended sandbox can be fun, I've spend dozens of hours in Minecraft; but for some reason that series never grabbed me.

Edited by BurnedChipmunk
spelling error
  • Like 1

It's so annoying. The normal DLC trophies are a-ok and are consistent with the style of trophies from the base game. I hate it when, with no context of the base game, there is a trend of "complete NG+ on the hardest difficulties" trophies.  This will be the third time I'll have to replay a game just for 1 or 2 trophies this year (Horizon Zero Dawn and Far Cry 5). As much as I like both, and Spiderman, none of them offer ANYTHING new in NG+.  Same story, upgrades either all unlocked or virtually unlocked too so no variations of gameplay. Between the 3, its 30-40 hours of my life gone for no new experience aside from upped enemy damage and less health. 

Edited by phantomfear9494

2 hours ago, phantomfear9494 said:

It's so annoying. The normal DLC trophies are a-ok and are consistent with the style of trophies from the base game. I hate it when, with no context of the base game, there is a trend of "complete NG+ on the hardest difficulties" trophies.  This will be the third time I'll have to replay a game just for 1 or 2 trophies this year (Horizon Zero Dawn and Far Cry 5). As much as I like both, and Spiderman, none of them offer ANYTHING new in NG+.  Same story, upgrades either all unlocked or virtually unlocked too so no variations of gameplay. Between the 3, its 30-40 hours of my life gone for no new experience aside from upped enemy damage and less health. 

You could just wait for them to add all the content that they're going to and mess around with the new powers and costumes while clearing the game on the NG+ at the end of all of this.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:57 AM, KingTylerr7 said:

I can not be the only one who thinks this game is really similar to infamous second sun? Trophies and game layout seem really similar

Yeah I definitely see it, A big city with nothing to do in it apart from the same same. tbh I'm not going to bother with the plat, maybe in a few years.