The gap between PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim/Vanilla

AJ_Radio

I've made status updates on this a couple times over the past few months, and made a discussion over at Playstationtrophies.org which garnered over 50 responses which I was quite surprised.

Over the past two years Sony has tried it's hardest to showcase the PS4 Pro and it's graphical capability because like any big corporate company, they're trying to attract more people to buy their product and thus, earn more profits. But like they did with the Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 consoles, they also have the Slim, which is just as you expect. A smaller, more compact, more portable console that does everything the original PS4 does, with a key difference being a better WiFi chip that can use the more superior 5 Ghz frequency as opposed to the 2.5 band Ghz frequency that most electronic devices around your home use.

Every major release from now on until Sony decides to stop releasing their games on the PS4 and move on to the PS5 will have a PS4 Pro enhanced icon on the back of every AAA game. Everything from late 2016 onward that is a AAA game is going to have some sort of advantage on the Playstation 4 Pro. And I can see the same deal with the Xbox One Scorpio, because that is a more powerful console as opposed to the original Xbox One.

I have bought the slim versions of consoles going back to 2004 when I went out and bought the slim Playstation 2 console to play Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and several other games. I will always have the opinion that people who exclusively play on PC and have the latest graphical hardware and systems for their desktop computers will always have the upper hand. There is equipment that is already more powerful than what the PS4 Pro can produce.

I personally think the Playstation 4 Pro is a way to have bragging rights, to say that your console is more powerful and can run games at a steady 60 frames per second over the original Playstation 4 and Slim consoles that can only get up to 1080p resolution, and normally 30 frames per second for new AAA games. As a long time gamer I care more about performance than how the game looks. I don't care about the sleek, shiny new graphics that Spider-Man has with the Ultra 4K TV and Pro, if such games ran poorly then I'm not going to think too highly of them. But I feel this leaves a gap between those who have the money to afford those things, and people like me who bought a PS4 a few years ago when the original PS4 was the only console around.

I never had a problem with the Slim, because it's everything the original has as I just said, just more compact and takes up less room. The Pro for the most part only takes advantage of the newer AAA games released post 2016, and I don't exactly have a lot of newer AAA games so it's not a real benefit to me. Not every AAA game has a Pro patch anyway. And with rumors of a Playstation 5 being announced in the next year or two, I don't really see a reason to go out and buy a Pro right now, and transfer everything I have on my original PS4.

Those who have the disposable income and whom for some reason didn't buy a Playstation 4 in around 2013 - 2016, the Pro is the best this generation has to offer. In my opinion for those like me who already have the console, there's not enough going for it to justify buying it online or going out to a retail store like Best Buy and getting it myself. It makes the new AAA games like Spider-Man look better and run just as well, with a choice between playing in 4K or playing in 1080p resolution with 60 frames per second. But that's the only real benefit I see out of it. If you're a fairly average gamer who doesn't mind the occasional AAA game and indie game I don't see why it would be a bad choice to go out and just buy the Slim instead. You save money that you can then use to buy more games that you're interested in.

So what do you guys think? Do you think there isn't really a gap? Are you going to wait until the next generation to go 4K?

• Like 2

I only got a pro because my day 1 ps4 was and is getting old

it spits out discs in the middle of game play

It will constantly beep over and over again as if im turning the system on for the first time, also during gameplay

i already had a 4k tv and my library is mostly digital so the 1tb hard drive in the pro was a bonus when compared to my 500gb day1 ps4

the pro has a better wifi chip vs the original console

It also supports both 2.4 and 5ghz networks

its also a hell of alot quieter than my launch console for sure, that thing sounds like im on the runway at the airport

for me it was a no brainer to upgrade to the pro

my launch ps4 is now an indie game / netflix machine

• Like 2

My brother and I shared the one PS4 i bought back a few months after release of them, I upgraded to a pro early 2017 for the obvious upgrades it brings and mostly so we won't be sharing the one console anymore. I bought a sony 4k tv about 6 months ago so I had about a years worth of experience with the ps4 pro on a regular hd tv and now have had a decent amount of time with the 4k and I can say it really does make a difference.

As you were saying the pro is only really taking advantage with late 2016 AAA games and onwards, but with so many coming out every week and new flagship games like God of War and Spider-Man released with more to come, I really think the graphical upgrade to these games is noticeable and impressive for those who enjoy that aspect of games, myself included. 

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

I only got a pro because my day 1 ps4 was and is getting old

it spits out discs in the middle of game play

It will constantly beep over and over again as if im turning the system on for the first time, also during gameplay

i already had a 4k tv and my library is mostly digital so the 1tb hard drive in the pro was a bonus when compared to my 500gb day1 ps4

the pro has a better wifi chip vs the original console

It also supports both 2.4 and 5ghz networks

its also a hell of alot quieter than my launch console for sure, that thing sounds like im on the runway at the airport

for me it was a no brainer to upgrade to the pro

my launch ps4 is now an indie game / netflix machine

My old fat PS4 did the same thing. The freaking thing keep bipping like hell, impossible to play physical games on it, it will just eject it. I bought the PS4 Slim Gold and It way faster and doesn't bip lol. Never cared about graphics, so 720P/1080P/4k/10k/123432k I wouldn't care lol. But it's nice to know console are getting better year after year.

I pre-ordered and bought the PS4 day one. When I heard about the PS4 Pro I didn’t really want to fork out for a mid generation upgrade but I could afford to so I got it day one. I didn’t have a 4K TV at the time but I was always going to get one. Last year I bought a 65’ 4K OLED TV and I have to say games like God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn look pretty great on it.

As for owning a Pro being a way to have bragging rights over someone who has a Slim/vanilla PS4; anyone who thinks like that isn’t worth listening to in the first place.

I hope mid generational upgrades aren’t going to become a thing but if they do and I can afford it then I will upgrade as I will always prefer a more powerful console to get the best out of games that I can.

I'm happy with the pro, they upped the ram and cpu for smoother Os.

when the Ps5 comes out I'll buy that, it will run games better have more ram a better cpu and hopefully quieter on certain titles

new tech is new tech.

Now the pc world is advancing fast has ever, were up to 9th GEN CPU's holy shit where did the time go. I have a 4th Gen and it struggles with recording programs.

Yes there are people that brag and that is what some humans do.

I know a friend that bragged about his Xbox one X and his Oled Tv for weeks.

In a few years there will be something better, there will always be something better.

It all comes down to money, I'm not a genius but that's how you buy stuff.

One day we can trade cows and chickens for a playstation at your local store

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls

Your last comments summed it up. I myself am a sucker for 3d tech, and would love to be a part of it, but I don't have 3d tech money, so I make do with the standard HD TVs I've been using. And for the longest time, that's all I ever needed.

It always turns out for me that the slims are what carries me through every gaming cycle. PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, Vita, PSPs.

Always important to keep in mind, a slick looking presentation most likely won't carry you through a game you don't enjoy.

1 hour ago, FilmFanatic said:

I pre-ordered and bought the PS4 day one. When I heard about the PS4 Pro I didn’t really want to fork out for a mid generation upgrade but I could afford to so I got it day one. I didn’t have a 4K TV at the time but I was always going to get one. Last year I bought a 65’ 4K OLED TV and I have to say games like God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn look pretty great on it.

As for owning a Pro being a way to have bragging rights over someone who has a Slim/vanilla PS4; anyone who thinks like that isn’t worth listening to in the first place.

I hope mid generational upgrades aren’t going to become a thing but if they do and I can afford it then I will upgrade as I will always prefer a more powerful console to get the best out of games that I can.

I don't feel the need to do any switching unless I'm starting to have problems with my PS4. But I've been pretty lucky my whole life when it comes to having to replace consoles because the older model quit working. The slim Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 have never broken on me.

My biggest problem is streaming in 4K takes up a huge amount of bandwidth, and I'm probably going to guess that playing multiplayer in full 4K resolution isn't much better. Where I live I have shitty internet, and 1080p is the best I have until I have the money to move out and find another place to live.

Personally I think mid-generational upgrades are silly. Almost like those people who sell off their old DVD sets of their favorite television shows and buy the Blu-ray sets instead, because it looks better and the quality is more crisp and clear.

I predict the Playstation 5 will be here by 2020 or 2021, and that is when 4K is really going to take off. Until then, I'm okay with the vanilla/slim versions of the PS4.

1 hour ago, Galactic Hyper Balls said:

I'm happy with the pro, they upped the ram and cpu for smoother Os.

when the Ps5 comes out I'll buy that, it will run games better have more ram a better cpu and hopefully quieter on certain titles

new tech is new tech.

Now the pc world is advancing fast has ever, were up to 9th GEN CPU's holy shit where did the time go. I have a 4th Gen and it struggles with recording programs.

Yes there are people that brag and that is what some humans do.

I know a friend that bragged about his Xbox one X and his Oled Tv for weeks.

In a few years there will be something better, there will always be something better.

It all comes down to money, I'm not a genius but that's how you buy stuff.

One day we can trade cows and chickens for a playstation at your local store

And thus technology is consuming more of our everyday lives and more people will spend their time on the computer and television screen. More than ever we're spending more time on our smartphones, televisions and computers than we ever did in the past.

1 hour ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Your last comments summed it up. I myself am a sucker for 3d tech, and would love to be a part of it, but I don't have 3d tech money, so I make do with the standard HD TVs I've been using. And for the longest time, that's all I ever needed.

It always turns out for me that the slims are what carries me through every gaming cycle. PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, Vita, PSPs.

Always important to keep in mind, a slick looking presentation most likely won't carry you through a game you don't enjoy.

I was never a tech savvy guy. If the game plays well enough and is good, then I will likely keep on playing it.

I used to be someone who rejoiced in technology. Now I'm not so sure.

I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War that much, because they both felt too slow for what they should of been. Obviously the biggest draw are the graphics followed by the story, which is what Sony is doing for their flagship games nowadays.

Edited by Spaz

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Personally I think mid-generational upgrades are silly. Almost like those people who sell off their old DVD sets of their favorite television shows and buy the Blu-ray sets instead, because it looks better and the quality is more crisp and clear.

I’ve never had to replace a console either. Kind of. I had (still have actually) an original fat PS3 but eventually I had to buy a Slim as my fat PS3 couldn’t handle running certain games and would overheat and shutdown so I had no choice but to buy a better model.

Call me silly then because I’m slowly upgrading my extensive DVD collection to Blu-Ray and now 4K Blu-Rays because I didn’t spend a small fortune buying the TV and Blu-Ray players I have to watch DVDs :P. But then I’m single with no kids so I’m not short on disposable cash. I did try selling the DVDs but no one was really interested in buying them so I give them all away now.

When I got my first real job I spent my first income on a big TV and my ps4. It is a special edition that came with Batman Arkham Knight and has a Batman Silhouette on it. 
I'm not really one who notices  differences in Graphics much, I don't care if I watch a DVD or a Blu Ray for example, and I feel the same way about games. Right now the main thing keeping me from upgrading to a pro is 1. Laziness 2. Why give up my cool Batman ps4?

I can wait till the ps5 releases, and then I'll probably wait until the ps4 pro version of the ps5 releases. I'm still using my ps3 quite frequently, and I don't care enough about slightly advanced graphics to buy a very similar console. The only thing that would maybe bring me to buy it is if the loading times are DRASTICALLY reduces. I'm talking down to a split second or so on the Witcher 3. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

And thus technology is consuming more of our everyday lives and more people will spend their time on the computer and television screen. More than ever we're spending more time on our smartphones, televisions and computers than we ever did in the past.

welcome to the future, Where I work we use computers everyday for keying up huge orders and many quotes.

I'm very very thankful for computers, If I had to write 30 page orders with multiple different items, then look through a book for prices and and hand write it all down would take for ever. Technology has many pro's, you always look at the cons.

Might be stuck in the past, for I must get Rufus and Doc to help out @Spaz

r2pvd.jpg1*H4Q0WVU0Hzt4DEcwVgZwbQ.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Call me silly then because I’m slowly upgrading my extensive DVD collection to Blu-Ray and now 4K Blu-Rays because I didn’t spend a small fortune buying the TV and Blu-Ray players I have to watch DVDs :P. But then I’m single with no kids so I’m not short on disposable cash. I did try selling the DVDs but no one was really interested in buying them so I give them all away now.

Probably because it’s easy to look up how to rip a DVD movie straight out of the disc itself and put that file on your computer. You probably have to change the format to mp3 or whatever your video program prefers. I’ve done this plenty of times on select movies and TV shows. Fact is, most of everything now has been put on DVD somewhere, even the very obscure stuff. 

Plus it’s easy to bypass the copy protection on the DVDs that claim you can’t copy those files to somewhere else. 

18 hours ago, NanaCheese94 said:

I can wait till the ps5 releases, and then I'll probably wait until the ps4 pro version of the ps5 releases. I'm still using my ps3 quite frequently, and I don't care enough about slightly advanced graphics to buy a very similar console. The only thing that would maybe bring me to buy it is if the loading times are DRASTICALLY reduces. I'm talking down to a split second or so on the Witcher 3. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

I guess you haven’t been working long if you spent your money from your first job on Batman: Arkham Knight. 

I bought the bundle too, in July 2015 just weeks after the game came out. Was cheaper than buying Batman: Arkham Knight separately, and it turned out to be a game I enjoyed.

CD Projekt Red announced a while back they had no plans to release a Pro patch for The Witcher 3. I don’t know if that’s changed or not.  But if I wanted the most graphically out of it I would just play the game on Steam anyway. Has more customization options and you can change the graphical settings on that version, because it’s on the PC. 

1 hour ago, Galactic Hyper Balls said:

welcome to the future, Where I work we use computers everyday for keying up huge orders and many quotes.

I'm very very thankful for computers, If I had to write 30 page orders with multiple different items, then look through a book for prices and and hand write it all down would take for ever. Technology has many pro's, you always look at the cons.

stop looking into the past and move on @Spaz

1*H4Q0WVU0Hzt4DEcwVgZwbQ.jpeg

I’m stuck in the past because I don’t have the latest in technology?

Writing 30 page orders was before personal computers, when society only had typewriters. But I already said in my opinion that a PS4 Pro isn’t worth getting if you already have a PS4. If you never had a PS4 before and you want to see what it’s capable of, then by all means buy the Pro. Otherwise I would just stick with the Slim. It’s cheap and it does everything the original PS4 does, only better. 

You sound like more people should have a custom desktop to get the most out of gaming, and the Pro to get those nice exclusives you have to wait several months for. 

I’ve used computers for over 25 years, so a job that uses them everyday is nothing new because I’ve done that. But specs aren’t everything. I just decided not to get the Pro just for Spider-Man to look that much better than he does on a non 4K Ultra television set. 

Edited by Spaz

21 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I’m stuck in the past because I don’t have the latest in technology?

Writing 30 page orders was before personal computers, when society only had typewriters. But I already said in my opinion that a PS4 Pro isn’t worth getting if you already have a PS4. If you never had a PS4 before and you want to see what it’s capable of, then by all means buy the Pro. Otherwise I would just stick with the Slim. It’s cheap and it does everything the original PS4 does, only better. 

You sound like more people should have a custom desktop to get the most out of gaming, and the Pro to get those nice exclusives you have to wait several months for. 

I’ve used computers for over 25 years, so a job that uses them everyday is nothing new because I’ve done that. But specs aren’t everything. I just decided not to get the Pro just for Spider-Man to look that much better than he does on a non 4K Ultra television set. 

Your opinions are just weird, to each it's own.

You did start this thread, on a social network.

The one in bold makes a lot of sense, You know what I'm like, interesting ? I've never made a thread about telling gamers what to buy.

I had the Ps4 when it first came out then saved up money to buy the pro, it's just a console, why do you care so much to make a thread about it.

Because you really care, you care a lot about other peoples opinions. you thrive off of it and want more and more.

4 minutes ago, Galactic Hyper Balls said:

Your opinions are just weird, to each it's own.

You did start this thread, on a social network.

The one in bold makes a lot of sense, You know what I'm like, interesting 1f914.png I've never made a thread about telling gamers what to buy.

I had the Ps4 when it first came out then saved up money to buy the pro, it's just a console, why do you care so much to make a thread about it.

Because you really care, you care a lot about other peoples opinions. you thrive off of it and want more and more.

What's wrong with having a weird opinion?

I knew I was going to get criticism and opinions different from my own when I made this thread. But it offends me when people say I'm stuck in the past, because the truth is, we need to learn from the past in order to move forward and make ourselves better.

I made a detailed post on what I think of the Pro, because I mostly think it benefits the AAA games that have been coming out.

And isn't that why people post and make topics on the forums? To hear feedback to hear others opinions?

It does make a difference, you just need the right equipment for it. 

I used to play my standard PS4 on a 32 inches monitor. Bought the pro when it came out and bought a 4K OLED HDR TV and let me tell ya, those games look sharp man. I didn't care anymore about the 60 fps mode or a bit of a performance hitch, God of War in 4K HDR on an OLED is sick.

But all that only matters if you have the income to go with it, you cannot really compare them unless you'd have both setups side by side.

Use whatever floats your boat. But yes there is a gap between the slim and the Pro for sure. To get the most benefits, you need a really good monitor/ TV though.

I only bought the Pro because my vanilla died on me an I was planning on entering the VR bandwagon. My TV is the cheapest 30" Full HD LCD I could find, so 4K graphics were not a priority for me. The biggest perks I saw was the faster loading time I forgot if it was WRC 5 or 6, but the loading time in one specific level was of 43 seconds on the pro versus 57 on a Slim when I boosted it. You can also see always a first batch of players loading any game online when the new map is loading, and after some seconds, everyone else does. 

Another small but useful perk is the back USB port, I just adjusted my PSVR processing cable neatly in this port and I have two the two USB ports for personal use. 

Today I would get a PS Pro again if I needed too, but I wouldn't ditch my vanilla or slim PS4 for one just to "get the latest tech". 

On 9/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, Spaz said:

Over the past two years Sony has tried it's hardest to showcase the PS4 Pro and it's graphical capability because like any big corporate company, they're trying to attract more people to buy their product and thus, earn more profits. You are correct this how corporations work

Every major release from now on until Sony decides to stop releasing their games on the PS4 and move on to the PS5 will have a PS4 Pro enhanced icon on the back of every AAA game. Everything from late 2016 onward that is a AAA game is going to have some sort of advantage on the Playstation 4 Pro. And I can see the same deal with the Xbox One Scorpio, because that is a more powerful console as opposed to the original Xbox One. yes every console gets more powerful

I will always have the opinion that people who exclusively play on PC and have the latest graphical hardware and systems for their desktop computers will always have the upper hand. There is equipment that is already more powerful than what the PS4 Pro can produce. very true all exclusive Pc gamers have the latest hardware.

I personally think the Playstation 4 Pro is a way to have bragging rights, to say that your console is more powerful and can run games at a steady 60 frames per second over the original Playstation 4 and Slim consoles that can only get up to 1080p resolution, and normally 30 frames per second for new AAA games. As a long time gamer I care more about performance than how the game looks. I don't care about the sleek, shiny new graphics that Spider-Man has with the Ultra 4K TV and Pro, if such games ran poorly then I'm not going to think too highly of them. But I feel this leaves a gap between those who have the money to afford those things, and people like me who bought a PS4 a few years ago when the original PS4 was the only console around.

Humans do brag, and some take it to far,

fact some games ran to hard will have issues on either systems.

true if you have income to spend then spend it on what you want to buy.

I wrote a song about buying and selling because that is what we do. ?m?

Those who have the disposable income and whom for some reason didn't buy a Playstation 4 in around 2013 - 2016, the Pro is the best this generation has to offer. In my opinion for those like me who already have the console, there's not enough going for it to justify buying it online or going out to a retail store like Best Buy and getting it myself. No the xbox one X is technically the best this generation due to specs.

So what do you guys think? Do you think there isn't really a gap? Are you going to wait until the next generation to go 4K?

Here's a better opinion, based on your final sentence

So what do you guys think? Do you think there isn't really a gap

The gap will have better hardware then the XboxoneX

Then Ps5 will be better

Then The next Xbox will have better hardware then the Ps5

And that is what the gap will be like for eternity

PC is in it's own league, it's pointless to compare the two.

Are you going to wait until the next generation to go 4K?

I'm not going to wait, already upgraded awhile ago,

I'll gift my Ps4 Pro to a friend when the PS5 comes out.

A.I. is going to take over the world and destroy all of us, our data is all over the internet

We must get prepared and play halo on the OG XboX

We must work has a team to take the A.I down.

The End - Humans Won by unplugging it's power source

Welcome-to-the-166e0t.jpg

I bought the Pro as my first PS4 because the Neo was being hinted at for a year or two when I finally decided to start looking into the system so I just played the waiting game for it. I bought it strictly for the 1080p capabilities as the 4K is not only a hit to performance in most instances which makes it far less worth it but also because it's not even true 4K so you're taking a hit for not that much of a difference. The increased framerates, more stable framerates, higher and more stable dynamic resolutions if a game uses that, supersampling if you want to take the performance hit, better load times, multiple performance modes on games like in Nioh, The Last of Us, and Final Fantasy XV, 1080p streaming, far better PSVR quality of life, and Boost Mode are more than enough to justify getting a Pro even if it's more expensive. However, if you already have a PS4 there's no point. The upgrade itself isn't drastic outside of a few cases and is more of a boost to your experience that is appreciated but is not a deal breaker and it's not worth the $150 or so when you trade in a PS4 to upgrade to. It's a must if you're getting it as a brand new console though, the only reasons to opt for the base or Slim consoles at that point are only if you want to save money and get a couple of games instead or if the benefits don't interest you.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:53 PM, Spaz said:

The Pro for the most part only takes advantage of the newer AAA games released post 2016, and I don't exactly have a lot of newer AAA games so it's not a real benefit to me. Not every AAA game has a Pro patch anyway.

This is completely incorrect. Boost Mode is very much a thing and benefits many many games. In Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin, Yakuza 0, and Yakuza Kiwami it eliminates screen tearing completely and getting any sort of frame drop is almost unheard of. Bloodborne loses almost all of its framerate drops particularly in the Chalice Dungeons. The Evil Within gains a massive framerate boost with no drops as far as I understand, Killzone goes from a 30 FPS game with drops to a 45ish FPS game that can go up to 60 at times, Until Dawn goes from constantly dropping to 20 on base consoles to sitting around 25-30 and can go as high as 50 FPS though on both ends they have framerate drops and you might find the Pro's version a bit worse due to hitting the highs more often so going to the lowers is painful, the Uncharted Collection runs at a solid 60 FPS with Boost Mode whereas base consoles have framerate drops, pretty much all of the Resident Evil games have framerate drops or minor hitches on base but Pro has it at a stable 60 and only one or two games even have drops, etc. Pro patches were only done to make older games take full advantage of the system instead of just relying on the higher specs and hoping the game took advantage of the extra power. They're not done anymore because all new games come with Pro features out of the box be it simply 4K or stuff more tailored to them and devs have to go out of their way to patch older games to do that manually. Third parties are still taking advantage of it though not to the same fervor they were when it was first coming out and even A/AA games come with features the Pro can take advantage of from time to time, Abzu is an example of one of them where you had way more fish, Snake Pass had more dust when you smacked the ground, etc.

Do you think there isn't really a gap?

There very much is. Five games off the top of my head that prove this are:

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 (Runs at 900p 30 FPS with drops on a base console, 1080p 50-60 FPS with drops to around 40ish rarely on a Pro)

Yakuza 6 (Runs at 900p 30 FPS with constant drops and screen tearing on a base console, 1080p 30 FPS solid outside of rare hitches during cutscenes with no screen tearing at all on a Pro)

The Last Guardian (Runs at 1080p 30 FPS with constant drops and stuttering on a base console, 1080p 30 FPS solid on a Pro)

inFamous Second Son/First Light (Runs at 1080p 30 FPS with drops on a base console, 1080p 30 FPS with supersampling that I think only drops 1 or 2 frames at best or 1080p 45-60 FPS when on performance mode on a Pro)

In Yakuza 6's case the western release had the Japanese performance patch day one that made it run closer to 30 FPS most of the time and cut out a decent amount of the screen tearing, but if you want to see what it originally ran like download the Japanese demo and run around for a bit panning the camera around. The performance was one of the Japanese player's major complaints.

With Kingdom Hearts that also sets a precedent for Kingdom Hearts 3 as well since that was the engine they were going to use. Obviously we'll see more optimization come closer to release but it's still something to be concerned about if you only have a base PS4 or a Slim and want to play it.

There's also the Assassin's Creed and Battlefield games that run far better on a Pro by comparison.

I'm not even convinced next gen consoles are going to be able to manage native 4K 30 FPS solid yet, we're not even at 1080p 60 FPS as a standard yet and even Spider-man released at 1080p 30 FPS.

I upgraded mine to a Pro in January mainly because of the bigger HDD and frame rate stability (no 4K TV and for me frame rate > graphics).  

But in truth, the deciding factor was that I had fell in love with the Monster Hunter World PS4 Pro, so I used it as an extra excuse to get the system (I also sold my original ps4 for around 200€ or something, so the price to upgrade wasn't that big either). 

Said all that, I don't even know how many games I played with Pro enhancements.. The only 2 that I remember were Monster Hunter World and Gran Turismo Sport because they asked me what I wanted to enhance.. 

4 hours ago, Narxivias said:

It does make a difference, you just need the right equipment for it. 

I used to play my standard PS4 on a 32 inches monitor. Bought the pro when it came out and bought a 4K OLED HDR TV and let me tell ya, those games look sharp man. I didn't care anymore about the 60 fps mode or a bit of a performance hitch, God of War in 4K HDR on an OLED is sick.

But all that only matters if you have the income to go with it, you cannot really compare them unless you'd have both setups side by side.

Use whatever floats your boat. But yes there is a gap between the slim and the Pro for sure. To get the most benefits, you need a really good monitor/ TV though.

People said the exact same thing back in 2009 and 2010 for Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Looking at them now, they're not so great anymore.

I will never agree that graphics should be what entices people to buy games. For little kids sure, because they don't know any better. For grown ups like myself, you have to look at the genre and type of game it is and determine then if you should buy it.

So are those stuck with a 1080p monitor and PS4 Vanilla/Slim at a disadvantage? Apparently, because Sony is going to showcase 4K in every single one of their flagship games from now on until the next generation comes around. An Ultra 4K TV is nice, especially for sports if you're into such things as American Football or Soccer/Football if you live outside of the States. There is a gap, because someone with a Pro can now have faster loading times and superior looking graphics on the same games as someone with a Slim, which is pretty much exactly the same as the original with some changes.

I don't know. If I knew it was going to come to this I would of just bought the Pro and the Ultra 4K TV a few months ago, or get the Slim a year ago and be happy with it being a better console than the original PS4.

4 hours ago, ElBolovo said:

I only bought the Pro because my vanilla died on me an I was planning on entering the VR bandwagon. My TV is the cheapest 30" Full HD LCD I could find, so 4K graphics were not a priority for me. The biggest perks I saw was the faster loading time I forgot if it was WRC 5 or 6, but the loading time in one specific level was of 43 seconds on the pro versus 57 on a Slim when I boosted it. You can also see always a first batch of players loading any game online when the new map is loading, and after some seconds, everyone else does. 

Another small but useful perk is the back USB port, I just adjusted my PSVR processing cable neatly in this port and I have two the two USB ports for personal use. 

Today I would get a PS Pro again if I needed too, but I wouldn't ditch my vanilla or slim PS4 for one just to "get the latest tech". 

That's what I would get a Pro for mostly, performance improvements over the older model. I got too much on my PS4 to transfer anyway unless there is a fast way to do it. Also I bought a 2 TB drive three years ago.

3 hours ago, Galactic Hyper Balls said:

Here's a better opinion, based on your final sentence

So what do you guys think? Do you think there isn't really a gap

The gap will have better hardware then the XboxoneX

Then Ps5 will be better

Then The next Xbox will have better hardware then the Ps5

And that is what the gap will be like for eternity

PC is in it's own league, it's pointless to compare the two.

I'm not going to wait, already upgraded awhile ago,

I'll gift my Ps4 Pro to a friend when the PS5 comes out.

A.I. is going to take over the world and destroy all of us, our data is all over the internet

We must get prepared and play halo on the OG XboX

We must work has a team to take the A.I down.

The End - Humans Won by unplugging it's power source

Welcome-to-the-166e0t.jpg

Yeah, hilarious.

No point in trying to bring this up any further with you.

2 hours ago, soliunasm said:

I bought the Pro as my first PS4 because the Neo was being hinted at for a year or two when I finally decided to start looking into the system so I just played the waiting game for it. I bought it strictly for the 1080p capabilities as the 4K is not only a hit to performance in most instances which makes it far less worth it but also because it's not even true 4K so you're taking a hit for not that much of a difference. The increased framerates, more stable framerates, higher and more stable dynamic resolutions if a game uses that, supersampling if you want to take the performance hit, better load times, multiple performance modes on games like in Nioh, The Last of Us, and Final Fantasy XV, 1080p streaming, far better PSVR quality of life, and Boost Mode are more than enough to justify getting a Pro even if it's more expensive. However, if you already have a PS4 there's no point. The upgrade itself isn't drastic outside of a few cases and is more of a boost to your experience that is appreciated but is not a deal breaker and it's not worth the $150 or so when you trade in a PS4 to upgrade to. It's a must if you're getting it as a brand new console though, the only reasons to opt for the base or Slim consoles at that point are only if you want to save money and get a couple of games instead or if the benefits don't interest you.

So I guess by your long post here I probably should of waited another year and a half, then picked up the Pro and a Ultra 4K TV to go with it.

When it comes to technology itself I'm behind 5 - 10 years everyone else. I usually don't buy a console until at least two - three years after the launch console has been shipped, and that's exactly what I did for the Playstation 2, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4.

I don't know if I'm going to trade in my Playstation 4. But it's rather silly looking at Sony showcasing their Pro every chance they get, and pretty much the focus will be on the graphics even if we don't buy the Pro for that reason. If I decide to jump on the Playstation 5 bandwagon then yes, give me 4K video quality, a steady 30 - 60 frames per second, 1080p - 4K video streaming and all the other fancy stuff my console can do. I'm probably one of the few left who still has a PS4, PS3 and Vita hooked up. If the PS4 was backwards compatible, then I would of given up the PS3 and Vita years ago.

3 hours ago, soliunasm said:

This is completely incorrect. Boost Mode is very much a thing and benefits many many games. In Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin, Yakuza 0, and Yakuza Kiwami it eliminates screen tearing completely and getting any sort of frame drop is almost unheard of. Bloodborne loses almost all of its framerate drops particularly in the Chalice Dungeons. The Evil Within gains a massive framerate boost with no drops as far as I understand, Killzone goes from a 30 FPS game with drops to a 45ish FPS game that can go up to 60 at times, Until Dawn goes from constantly dropping to 20 on base consoles to sitting around 25-30 and can go as high as 50 FPS though on both ends they have framerate drops and you might find the Pro's version a bit worse due to hitting the highs more often so going to the lowers is painful, the Uncharted Collection runs at a solid 60 FPS with Boost Mode whereas base consoles have framerate drops, pretty much all of the Resident Evil games have framerate drops or minor hitches on base but Pro has it at a stable 60 and only one or two games even have drops, etc. Pro patches were only done to make older games take full advantage of the system instead of just relying on the higher specs and hoping the game took advantage of the extra power. They're not done anymore because all new games come with Pro features out of the box be it simply 4K or stuff more tailored to them and devs have to go out of their way to patch older games to do that manually. Third parties are still taking advantage of it though not to the same fervor they were when it was first coming out and even A/AA games come with features the Pro can take advantage of from time to time, Abzu is an example of one of them where you had way more fish, Snake Pass had more dust when you smacked the ground, etc.

The Uncharted Collection was remastered for the original PS4 before the Pro had ever come out, so what's the point in having Boost mode for it? It already looked good and was already fast enough.

The way I look at this is the equivalent of PC gamers modding their games so they can run faster. Boost Mode is pretty much the same concept with games like Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Until Dawn and The Evil Within which were all released before the Pro launched. inFamous Second Son and inFamous First Light both have Pro patches so they can run better and look better. So essentially this is like games from the same generation getting a remaster. I completely understand something like Assassins Creed Rogue getting a remaster being it's coming from a last gen console. But this is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

I wouldn't consider Crash Bandicoot a AAA game by any means, it's more of a thank you to those who have been waiting for a modern Crash Bandicoot game for ages. I played the entire trilogy and enjoyed it for what it is, so if you're saying Snake Pass has more dust if you smacked the ground then I suppose I would of seen more when I used Crash's spinning attack move to spin enemies out of the screen.

3 hours ago, soliunasm said:

There very much is. Five games off the top of my head that prove this are:

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 (Runs at 900p 30 FPS with drops on a base console, 1080p 50-60 FPS with drops to around 40ish rarely on a Pro)

Yakuza 6 (Runs at 900p 30 FPS with constant drops and screen tearing on a base console, 1080p 30 FPS solid outside of rare hitches during cutscenes with no screen tearing at all on a Pro)

The Last Guardian (Runs at 1080p 30 FPS with constant drops and stuttering on a base console, 1080p 30 FPS solid on a Pro)

inFamous Second Son/First Light (Runs at 1080p 30 FPS with drops on a base console, 1080p 30 FPS with supersampling that I think only drops 1 or 2 frames at best or 1080p 45-60 FPS when on performance mode on a Pro)

In Yakuza 6's case the western release had the Japanese performance patch day one that made it run closer to 30 FPS most of the time and cut out a decent amount of the screen tearing, but if you want to see what it originally ran like download the Japanese demo and run around for a bit panning the camera around. The performance was one of the Japanese player's major complaints.

With Kingdom Hearts that also sets a precedent for Kingdom Hearts 3 as well since that was the engine they were going to use. Obviously we'll see more optimization come closer to release but it's still something to be concerned about if you only have a base PS4 or a Slim and want to play it.

There's also the Assassin's Creed and Battlefield games that run far better on a Pro by comparison.

I'm not even convinced next gen consoles are going to be able to manage native 4K 30 FPS solid yet, we're not even at 1080p 60 FPS as a standard yet and even Spider-man released at 1080p 30 FPS.

Interesting. But you'll be quite surprised when next generation hits. Hopefully there isn't going to be a bunch of shameless remasters, which I've talked about on another thread.

The way this is going is what I said to someone else here. I'll give an example. Some guy back in 2006 buys a DVD set of their favorite television show. They buy it, they loved it, they transfer the core files from the disc onto their computer harddrive so they can just watch them at their own leisure. Several years later they see a Blu-Ray set of the same television show. They sell off their DVD set and buy the Blu-Ray, which comes with a much crisper look and runs much smoother than the DVDs did. Then a few months ago they see a 4K Blu-Ray set of the same television show once again. They sell off their Blu-Ray discs, which these days doesn't look as good as it did back in 2011 - 2013. They buy the 4K Blu-Ray discs, and wow. Look at how impressive it looks. You can see the pimples, beauty marks and wrinkles on everyone's face.

It's basically rebuying your shit for the same product just so it looks better. Many people have done this with the Pro.

Still, I'm happy with the decision I made three years ago. Are people like me missing out on the Pro enhancements and all that good stuff? I don't know, that's up to the reader to decide that.

• Like 1

It's nice to have the option to play your games in 4k. I get that we're slowly transitioning into an era where graphics can be seen as a focal point for game development but 1080p hd resolutions for gaming are by no means bad at all. I have a ps4 slim and i'm perfectly happy with it. People here should not be pressured or feel ashamed that they don't have the latest and greatest system to play their games on because at the end of the day, these machines will all play the same game perfectly well. In regards to the performance gap, it may be significant but i'm not shelling out extra cash for a 4k tv just to experience the improvement. You guys should know that technology is continually improving. Ever heard of Moore's law? The pro released in 2016 so therefore, we should have gaming systems that can far exceed its performance capabilities. The next generation is knocking on our doorstep and before long, the pro will be considered an outdated piece of hardware. At the end of the day, I don't really give a damn about the machine's specs. Slim, pro and og ps4 owners will still get to experience the same quality games we've come to expect and love from Sony's flagship console. And that's all that matters.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 3:26 AM, Spaz said:

People said the exact same thing back in 2009 and 2010 for Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Looking at them now, they're not so great anymore.

I will never agree that graphics should be what entices people to buy games. For little kids sure, because they don't know any better. For grown ups like myself, you have to look at the genre and type of game it is and determine then if you should buy it.

While I 100% agree with you that graphics aren't everything, you shouldn't simply brush them aside. I'm a grown up man and I can tell you that I was thrilled to play God of War on the Pro in 4k with HDR on. Is the game as good without it? Of course, it's the same game. Is it more beautiful and enticing with all of the graphics gizmos turned on, hell yeah. None of the games I play in 4k were bought because of graphics, it just so happens that they are that much sweeter with the whole shebang turned on.

I haven't even bought a 4k tv and it's not that I can't afford one. When and if the ps4 or xb1 bites the dust, then I'll buy the pro or xb1x with a matching tv. Like most of you guys I'm just a gamer that loves his games, not fussed on graphics though general performance interests me a bit.

• Like 1

I play games on both PC & PS4.  When I bought an Alienware (GTX 1080 & 3.6 GHz 6-core CPU) from Dell in late 2016, I ended up with $400 in rewards from them.  So I took that & used it to get a PS4 Pro for $13.  My OG PS4 was still working fine, but I decided to just go for it.

I'm still using a 2K (1080p) TV for the PS4...  While 4K is nice to have as an option, I'll settle for 2K if it can get me 60 FPS.  When I went for the PS4 Pro, I had higher frame rates in mind.  The Surge & Nioh look quite decent on a PS4 Pro when you're using the performance/action mode.

If PS5 is backward compatible, hopefully there will be patches to at least some PS4 games to get both 4K & 60 FPS.

• Like 1