Playstation 3: A Retrospective (Updated April 20th, 2014)

Gotakibono

Great idea.

Sony made many mistakes and there's has been no shortage of problems for the PS3 but It holds a special place in my heart. While I'm excited for the PS4 and feel that this generation has gone on long enough I think the PS3 will always be special to me. 

• Like 1

Great observations. I'd love to hear what you have to say about one of the most glaring concepts born in this generation of consoles - the concept of digital 'rewards' in trophies and achievements.

Personally I always played to completion on any game I played (mostly PC games), but since 2009 when trophies were introduced, a lot of us saw our achievements promoted to something more tangible and able to be more widely acknowledged by the public. Gone are the days of bragging by taking grainy VHS videos and badly framed pictures of our tv sets showing off something we felt was monumental achievement. Now there is a measurable way to quantify that achievement.

The current generation has shifted the way some of us play games and created a new meta game where we play the content not only for internal gratification, but to express certain gaming conquests in a publicly visible arena. While in some ways I feel it has somehow managed to realize some of our personal completion urges, it has slowly and subtly also spawned a new breed of gamers who have different goals in gaming altogether. Just my observation and contribution to something that may perhaps be relevant.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

New post - hope you guys like it. 

Great observations. I'd love to hear what you have to say about one of the most glaring concepts born in this generation of consoles - the concept of digital 'rewards' in trophies and achievements.

Personally I always played to completion on any game I played (mostly PC games), but since 2009 when trophies were introduced, a lot of us saw our achievements promoted to something more tangible and able to be more widely acknowledged by the public. Gone are the days of bragging by taking grainy VHS videos and badly framed pictures of our tv sets showing off something we felt was monumental achievement. Now there is a measurable way to quantify that achievement.

The current generation has shifted the way some of us play games and created a new meta game where we play the content not only for internal gratification, but to express certain gaming conquests in a publicly visible arena. While in some ways I feel it has somehow managed to realize some of our personal completion urges, it has slowly and subtly also spawned a new breed of gamers who have different goals in gaming altogether. Just my observation and contribution to something that may perhaps be relevant.

I'll most definitely be writing about trophies/achievements in the future. You mentioned essentially everything I feel about trophies and their effects right there; if you want to write something based on that topic, declare it a "hit or miss" and post it on the thread then I'll more than gladly add it to the main thread - less work for me. :P

• Like 1

I liked that post about the The Darkness of 2011.

And its exactly as I felt, like my bits were in the breeze and no-one seemed to give a damn about how I was going to cover them up!

The only thing about all of this that really annoyed me was that Sony said that they would give everyone a years theft protection (they do have a huge insurance division afterall) and in they end they never gave this to a single soul to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't have availed of it as I already had my own, but I would like to have had the option to refuse it since it was offered.

But that's another rant :D

• Like 1

Great article man.

I see you are (or were) intending to write something about trophies.

I remember when they were introduced (well, announced). The day before, while I was talking to someone at work saying that I liked the Xbox 360 achievements, I used the words "Sony should introduce something similar for Playstation". Talk about great minds...... (and no, I don't work for, or know anyone who works for Sony so I wasn't partial to any inside info)

• Like 1

Hey Gota, here is a perfect movie clip to talk about gamers feelings on the end of a system cycle with no backwards compatibly in the future. Comes from one of my favourite movies of all time.

Oh and much respect for using a 12 Angry Men gif (also one of my favourite films :D)

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

I liked that post about the The Darkness of 2011.

And its exactly as I felt, like my bits were in the breeze and no-one seemed to give a damn about how I was going to cover them up!

The only thing about all of this that really annoyed me was that Sony said that they would give everyone a years theft protection (they do have a huge insurance division afterall) and in they end they never gave this to a single soul to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't have availed of it as I already had my own, but I would like to have had the option to refuse it since it was offered.

But that's another rant :D

Thank you, glad you liked it. 

Sony backtracked on a lot of what they said during and after the PSN breach; many promises were broken and never mentioned again, including the year's theft protection you just mentioned and many more. It was just a bad few months for Sony in general! 

And please - rant away. The unspoken rule of this thread is for people to rant about the pros and cons of the Playstation 3. ;)

Great article man.

I see you are (or were) intending to write something about trophies.

I remember when they were introduced (well, announced). The day before, while I was talking to someone at work saying that I liked the Xbox 360 achievements, I used the words "Sony should introduce something similar for Playstation". Talk about great minds...... (and no, I don't work for, or know anyone who works for Sony so I wasn't partial to any inside info)

Thanks for your feedback, man - really appreciate it. 

I will be writing about trophies within the next few days - kind of have to as it was a major addition to the Playstation interface. Hahaha! I bet an insider at Sony was working next to you and overheard what you were saying, and their reaction was probably something like this:

tumblr_mopxlnBi5M1ruetiuo1_400.gif

Hey Gota, here is a perfect movie clip to talk about gamers feelings on the end of a system cycle with no backwards compatibly in the future. Comes from one of my favourite movies of all time.

Oh and much respect for using a 12 Angry Men gif (also one of my favourite films :D)

Hahaha! Perfect video! That's one of my all-time favourites as well - great movie. And much respect for actually noticing and appreciating the reference! :D

This is the very best thread to have opened up on the site thus far; Very classy and full of real discussion :)

Anywho, Gota, do you plan on updating with some of the Playstation's best exclusives and most underrated games? Think that'd be something interesting to get people to try out if they haven't. If you'd like, I could compile a list to give you.

The evolution of the Sixaxis to the Dualshock 3 is something I'd like to hear yours, as well as others, opinions about since it was a controversial topic at that time.

Keep up the great work, man!

• Like 2

This is the very best thread to have opened up on the site thus far; Very classy and full of real discussion :)

Anywho, Gota, do you plan on updating with some of the Playstation's best exclusives and most underrated games? Think that'd be something interesting to get people to try out if they haven't. If you'd like, I could compile a list to give you.

The evolution of the Sixaxis to the Dualshock 3 is something I'd like to hear yours, as well as others, opinions about since it was a controversial topic at that time.

Keep up the great work, man!

Oh wow, thanks a million, man! Appreciate that a lot. 

I will definitely be doing an article revolving around the stellar exclusives that the PS3 has enjoyed; I haven't considered an "underrated games" article, so if you'd like to compile a list and pass it on that'd be fantastic. I could maybe get a poll going based on a complied list. 

The evolution of the controllers is something else I hadn't considered before, but again if you want to share your thoughts about it I can post it on the main thread. :) Thanks again, man. 

• Like 1

Good Observations,keep it up :lol:

Cool article dude! Will be watching this!

not bad so far looking good ^_^

Good read, nice one mate

This was very enjoyable to read, well done! Makes me wish even more that I'd have gotten into the PS world ages ago  :blush:

Thanks a million, guys - appreciate it a lot.

I'll be writing my article on trophies either tonight or tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that. 

• Like 2