Deadly Obsession Difficulty

sword_of_omens

It's funny, I did the hardest difficulty on my second playthrough and I didn't have any deaths during the climbing. Definitely the hardest parts were the combat sections without checkpoints. I only died maybe three or four times so it was not too frustrating, two of those deaths being at the final boss which had a checkpoint fairly close to it.

Also not having survival instincts can be tricky, even if you're doing it on your second playthrough. It's hard to tell where enemies are and where you can and can't climb sometimes. Can't imagine how frustrating it would be if I had played it on the hardest difficulty in my first playthrough.

Edited by Asimb0mb

15 hours ago, Swotam said:

To be honest I didn’t bother. After the nonsense with the cenote mentioned above I just started playing something else. One more digital brownie point that means nothing in the grand scheme isn’t worth the hassle. I enjoyed the game sufficiently on my first playthrough that I don’t really want to have trophy nonsense leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I totally respect that! Unfortunately I’m the type of player who wouldn’t be able to leave this sitting unfinished on my trophy list. Especially if it’s just over one trophy. It would drive me mental! More so than just submitting to the annoyance of a Deadly Obsession playthrough.

I just started SotTR and I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to get through it without too much hassle, but based on my first hour or two with the game I can already tell the biggest headache is going to be the platforming and environmental bullshit. It’s pretty wonky even on Easy mode. ☹️

Yeah my nemesis was the swimming section with the piranhas. The way the camps are spread out across the chapters is pretty uneven. You will have one or two sections where dying will set you back quite a bit, but other than that I didn't really have much trouble with the combat. If u feel like u need some help you're free to check out this walkthrough made by Seraphim17. He explains his combatstrategies and the enemy spawns really well and will always tell you what's coming up and what sections to be wary of. Good luck with your deadly obsession run!

Edited by Lil-Gocee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lil-Gocee said:

Yeah my nemesis was the swimming section with the piranhas. The way the camps are spread out across the chapters is pretty uneven. You will have one or two sections where dying will set you back quite a bit, but other than that I didn't really really have much trouble with the combat. If u feel like u need some help you're free to check out this walktrough made by Seraphim17. He explains his combatstrategies and the enemy spawns really well and will always tell you what's coming up and what sections to be wary of. Good luck with your deadly obsession run!

Appreciate the resource man! I’ll definitely give it a look.

22 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I think the checkpoints are basically just the camp fires. 

Most of the time yes, but there are also some other checkpoints, like after the Cenote part. When the flood starts, you get a savepoint for example, without a campfire.

Most of the game isn't harder on DO as on 'normal' difficulty, except the (sometimes) frustrating lack of checkpoints and the missing survival insticts, while I don't recommend the 100% run in DO due to the latter one.

Edited by xXK-oZXx

3 hours ago, xXK-oZXx said:

Most of the time yes, but there are also some other checkpoints, like after the Cenote part. When the flood starts, you get a savepoint for example, without a campfire.

Most of the game isn't harder on DO as on 'normal' difficulty, except the (sometimes) frustrating lack of checkpoints and the missing survival insticts, while I don't recommend the 100% run in DO due to the latter one.

Yeah the guide mentions that there are a couple spots where there are automatic checkpoints, but it makes them sound really rare and doesn’t mention when they occur. The majority of them occur by lighting the camp fires.

And yes I agree. I will normally always try to limit myself to 1 playthrough if possible, but this is one of those games where I will make an exception. It’s way too easy to die by mistake on your first time through the various puzzles and platforming, and the lack of survival instincts for finding collectibles and stuff would be a real headache.

Besides, all your weapons, upgrades, abilities etc. carry over into NG+ so doing 2 runs is much smarter.

I just found out how far back you get during the first checkpoint.. I was trying to get the gunslinger trophy but I failed my first opportunity so I manually reloaded the checkpoint.. After that I choked a few times during the platforming and one time during that horrible buttonmash quicktime event under water. One hour later I reached the first encounter so I tried gunslinger again and... failed again. All that hassle for nothing. 

I managed to get gunslinger during an encounter after that. But boy the frustration was real. 

Edit: the encounters aren't that hard so far and the platforming isn't that bad, only the first part is a real hassle if you fail. 

Edited by Cauvuh_Lakrwa

Not sure why so much hate and frustration over DO, its the hardest difficulty for a reason, it was never meant to be a cake walk

I was buzzing to get through all of cenote without a death but then hit a chain of frustrating deaths at the oil refinery. Frustated the life out of me but that what a top difficulty run is all about, its just cheese if you have regular checkpoints and the ability to just repeat retry the same bit over and over.

The platforming isnt broken on this difficulty, its just all about timing and mechanics which can be annoying but again is all about the challenge

Ive just got Mission of San Juan to do and then im done, but i did do this on NG+ so didn't need to worry about anything bar progressing through the story (and 2 misc trophies)

Peace and enjoy folks, its all about gaming for a challenge :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am not the best player in this game and i am not close to the best players also.It tooks 15(10 only for platforming)deaths and 7 hour to beat shadow of the tomb raider on deadly obsession difficulty.When you start new game plus choose the red upgrade.I beat it without the red skills 4 points ability and it would have been more easy with the 4 points abillty of red tree.Camera is one of the worst enemy.For players who are trying to achieve the platinum i suggest to wait the right moment to make a jump otherwise camera rotation will screw up your jump.Also L1 square ability to reduce aiming time is so good with a poison arrow combination.Make good use of it.The only section it is a pain is the one you are withouth weapons.After your first takedown of the enemies in the first area i suggest to reach the objective in the second section without care of enemies.Jumping till the objective point is the fastest way and easiest way to deal with them.Obviosly the proper way is to be stealth and choose the correct path.Buy all bags upgraade also.Deadly obsession is a good and fair challenge.In my opinion is easier then Uncharted Brutal on Nathan Drake Collection or grounded on The Last of Us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got through Cenote on DO and will echo what many have posted here. The game doesn't feel harder than normal difficulty, it's the lack of checkpoints that will frustrate you along with the randomness of Lara not wanting to grab ledges at times. I'm at 4 deaths thru Cenote, all from traversal shenanigans. Learn the enemy spawns and the combat encounters in this game are not a challenge at all.

Edit :Just finished my DO run on NG+. As I said before the climbing mechanics and checkpoints are going to be your biggest challenge here, but it's very doable.

Edited by AphexRedux

On 09/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, Brightblade76 said:

PS. Done, first time I've completely missed the camp after the machine gun section, that camp made the last mission much more manageable.

Thanks for the warning. I missed this camp too, and was raging after dying in the last bit of the boss fight...

With that piece of information, I'm more calm to play again.

Has the insta-death been tweaked at all? I died during the flood scene, and was expecting to go right back to the start, but it just put me at the start of the flood scene again, so made sure not to make the same mistake and got through it. I did double check that I was on Deadly Obsession, just to be sure.

If you are referring to the flood scene at the beginning of the game, there is an hidden checkpoint here. If you are referring to the scene at the end of the game, there's also an hidden checkpoint. I've never experienced the first one since I've managed to do the first chapter of the game without dying, but the second one saved me 30 minutes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Currently on the last checkpoint before the final boss fight on Deadly Obsession. I don't think the difficulty is that bad. Like everyone else said, it's more annoying than hard. 

I'm playing on NG+ after getting 100% on my first playthrough, so I have all the skills and guns I need. Combat is a joke, and it's so scarce that it really doesn't present a difficulty. I only died in that moment where Lara is covered in mud and goes full Predator on Trinity, and it only happened because the game doesn't allow you to run away from the 'arena' if the enemy spots you. I was impatient and tried to go full YOLO running for the exit (a platform leading to the other section) and the game didn't allow me to grab the ledge until I killed everyone. So the enemies flanked me and RIP Lara. 

The glitchy platforming sections were the cause of 99% of my deaths, and all of them were related to the grappling hook: in Cozumel, for some reason, it wouldn't work in the main puzzle room and I fell to my death several times, which brough me back to the archaeological dig. I made through Cenote fine on my first try, but in the last room (the cave with the tree, where she says "there's no way, I have to jump") the hook just didn't attach to the wall and I died. It was very irritating to repeat 20-30 minutes of boring/easy gameplay due to the game's badly designed platforming/controls. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started the game on Deadly Obsession, it’s easy, if your not used to playing with survival instinct then your not going to struggle without it, and as far as missing anything goes, use the guide on here to find any resources you feel you might be missing, I’m finding that I’m selling off a lot of resources to the merchant for extra gold, so they aren’t that scarce on the hardest difficulty, obviously the game doesn’t checkpoint so some long sections have to be done without a save, but seriously these type of games can be done with your eyes shut, just purchase Howler’s Speed as your first skill and you’ll never die exploring any climbing section, just save manually often if your worried about dying