Lookin for new games to play - how are you doing it?

Baka_Marimo

I know in the current marketing-crazed era where there's a trailer for some game around every corner this might sound a bit weird, but sometimes when I finish a game I don't know what to play next. So one day I decided to just go to the Games section on this site and clicked on the very last page. I then started watching reviews/gameplay videos on every single game, starting from the oldest ever tracked games with trophy support and when there is one that catches my interest I go out and buy it. This is how I came across the last 9 games on my profile and I only regret adding 1 of them. I think this is an interesting way to find games (or even entire genres) you would otherwise have overlooked. Right now I'm playing Persona 4 Golden which puts me somewhere around late 2012/early 2013 in the game release schedule. However I recently found out about blank accounts and will therefore go back to the very first games again because since I'm a completionist I haven't gotten into quite a lot of them because I felt like I couldn't complete them due to their difficulty. A blank account eliminates the risk of ending up with yet another incomplete game on your profile and by the way I'm baffled how I didn't have a clue about such a simple trick for so long.

So, how are you doing it? Are you just watching trailers or browsing the store? Do you rely on word of mouth? Do you have a certain genre or game series you constantly keep up to date with? Or did I just describe the standard procedure for most of you who are into trophies?

edit: In case anyone is wondering about blank accounts: Click me

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

I look at the deals section in the a PlayStation Store and definitely let myself be grabbed by interesting titles or cover art.

If I see something I like, I'll check it out on here to see if it's buggy/glitchy or has unobtainable trophies. I'll also see if online or multiplayer is required (don't like that in a game) and I'll also check on DLC (I try to stay away from games with huge amounts of DLC).

Recently, I've also been trying to look up gameplay videos as I've run into a couple duds lately.

I'll also sometimes preorder games based on the studio's merit / game series merit. I'm a Square ENIX, Bandai Namco, NIS America, and Gust fangirl, so I pay attention to their game releases. Unfortunately, several recent preorders based on studio merit have been letdowns.

Edited by eigen-space

I frequent 2 local gaming stores...one is a big franchise, the other is one-of-a-kind...i walk in and ask what's good...the staff at the franchise one change a lot so they usually ask which platform and then suggest what I assume are recent titles...the other shop has had the same few guys working there for a long time so they kind of know what I tend to like...after their suggestions I have a look at the case...if there are words like "epic", "co-op", "must play" then i'm already considering it...a quick read of the description and look at the pictures on the back and I'll make a decision...i might qualify as having disposable income so I have a pretty big collection...i do also randomly check the PSN store as well if I see an ad that has game art that looks cool or a new release from a series that I enjoy(ed)...not really rocket science...

Edited by ProfBambam55

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

I look at the deals section in the a PlayStation Store and definitely let myself be grabbed by interesting titles or cover art.

If I see something I like, I'll check it out on here to see if it's buggy/glitchy or has unobtainable trophies. I'll also see if online or multiplayer is required (don't like that in a game) and I'll also check on DLC (I try to stay away from games with huge amounts of DLC).

Recently, I've also been trying to look up gameplay videos as I've run into a couple duds lately.

This is pretty much what I do. Except instead of gameplay videos, I look for Cornshaq's review.

But for me, games with lots of DLC, I don't stay away from, per se, rather prefer to pick up a bundle that includes the DLC (this is the reason I've avoided FFXV so far, I don't want multiple season passes to get the full experience).

I also have PS Now, they add like 10 or so new games every month so I look up info on those. It's a decent way to get exposed to some totally random games.

Edited by Milktastrophe

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

I'll also sometimes preorder games based on the studio's merit / game series merit. I'm a Square ENIX, Bandai Namco, NIS America, and Gust fangirl, so I pay attention to their game releases. Unfortunately, several recent preorders based on studio merit have been letdowns.

Pretty much what I do. Since Energy... something, the one with the girl art on it. I've been more cautious about what I buy on sales. So will check out stuff on here for glitched trophies, and whether it's awful or not and check out some impressions elsewhere if nothing is here. Since I thought a brick attack game for cheap was something safe to buy... but nope. Lesson learned.

Also go through the backlog I got and look for something quick to do, or something I think I might be able to actually finish. I've finished quite a few very old games trophy wise that I started ages ago that way. Or games I bought years ago but haven't touched at all. Should probably focus on that instead of buying new games, but ugh sales always get me.

1 minute ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I probably have at least a hundred untouched games in my backlog.  Sadface

Damn, you're doing good. I've got about 600 PS3 games and probably 200 PS4 games I've never played.

Haven't really bought any games in quite a long time. The games I play are mostly really time consuming (Rocket League - 1500 hours, Monster Hunter World - 215 hours, Borderlands 2 - 150 hours, etc.). Also I still have a huge backlog of PS plus games, old Ps3 games of mine and some Ps4 games I bought in sales. "Luckily" I have a huge variety of games to choose from, as I have missed out on many great gems in the past years. Stuff like Skyrim, Persona games, Final Fantasy games, Ni No Kuni 1 & 2, Horizon ZD, the Fallout games, the complete Yakuza series, Shenmue 1 & 2, the Dark Souls and Bloodborne series, RDR, etc. etc. It's just too much to choose from, and since all of my pastime is already being consumed by Rocket League, Monster Hunter World, Borderlands and some other smaller stuff, I don't need to think about buying any of them anyways haha.

To get back to the question though, if I'd buy any games I normally either choose them by what my best friend wants to play cooperatively, or I pick some generally praised games like the ones mentioned earlier.

First, of course we hear the hype and see trailers of some pretty good looking games.  But I think this year is the first one where I haven't preordered any games.  Been burned a few time, especially when the price starts dropping a month or so after the game comes out. So, I take a look at what everyone else is playing for the events.  This gives me some ideas.  Reading reviews on this site for the games really helps.  Then the test: are there trophies that are glitched or bugs that are game-breaking that will make the game frustrating or unplayable?  I watch the PSN sales and if a game looks interesting, I'll do the research.  I've probably played games way out of my normal comfort level this year, and I love it!

9 hours ago, dj_helyx said:

Damn, you're doing good. I've got about 600 PS3 games and probably 200 PS4 games I've never played.

I probably have about 100 ps3 games that I've pretty much abandoned on an old account and 80 or so ps4 games.  Figured a bunch of the ps3 games would get remastered as I make my through the ps4 backlog...  and they are.

Had to force myself to cut back on new purchases until I finish X amount of games.

As to how to pick what's next, it's usually a genre that I'm in the mood for alongside something that has multiplayer. Gotta knock out mp trophies before more servers go down.

• Like 1

Thoughts on buying new games:

- 4 Player Coop Games? Discussed with 3 others

- Franchises i like are getting new titles like Assassin's Creed, God of War etc

- Easy to finish? 1 hour Plat incoming :D

- Sales in the PSN Store

Thoughts on starting new games:

- Community Events like currently Spelling Bee and Trophophobia make me think about games to start or continue

- Getting a complete list of Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies for A-Z Club 2.0 Community Event

- PS+ games with Coop?

- PS+ games that look interesting. Using youtube videos for a first impression

- Looking at trophy lists/guides for online trophies, estimated difficulty etc

Edited by Evil_Joker88

For me, I have a couple of ways of finding new games, as back when I was an FF addict and only knew FF and KH, I had the same issue, ended up wandering into a game store and stumbling across the unbought day one edition of Tales of Graces F on sale, looked up a few trailers before buying it and getting hooked to the series, probably more so than FF which I did not think was possible.

Now, I tend to go by reviews and trailers only for new games or series I've never played before. But I was always the type to chase a series which counts for . If I enjoyed one game of a series, I usually ended up buying and playing the rest in the series and so far, KH, FF, Tales, Disgaea and Harvest Moon are few of the series that I would otherwise be a loyal follower of despite the occasional rubbish title like FFXV, Tales of Zestiria and KH Chain of Memories. I always keep up to date with Tales and FF though, especially with the mothership/mainstream titles more so than spin offs.

I don't care about word of mouth, as peoples tastes vary. My brother loves COD and Fifa, one of my friends is all about Uncharted and Tomb Raider, while I prefer RPGs so I can't really rely on this.

Browsing the store and picking up random games has only ever succeeded once for me with Tales of Graces F, and failed every other time where I ended up getting a game and not liking it. So with unfamiliar territory, I always read lots of reviews, watch trailers and gameplay videos on Youtube before parting with any cash and wasting time on a crappy game. 

As a Trophy hunter, I am somewhat guilty of looking up trophy lists and avoiding games where the plat is very hard to takes a million hours. But I have bought games and enjoyed without any intention to plat, such as disgaea games which I can never be bothered and Kingdom Hearts as I love the series from the PS2 days but am personally rubbish at them and can manage normal difficulty just about, so those trophies for proud and critical are out the window for me. It would be a case by case basis, balancing a series I love vs. a random game, 

3 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Had to force myself to cut back on new purchases until I finish X amount of games.

^ This.

I punished myself with completing Warhawk 100% before I was allowed to buy a PS4. This is the only way I can justify new purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably never run out of games, and there's lots I'm interested in already, so I plan on just making a list and picking off it as I go. Whenever I start a series, I'll usually try to play the games in order (although, depending on the length of the series, I might take a small break from it in order to avoid burnout).

Another way is to just ask around. People will look at your trophy list and see what you haven't played. The people on this site seem pretty knowledgeable about which games are awesome and which games you shouldn't waste too much time on.

I don't really actively look for new things to play. I watch a lot of gaming trivia and news over on Youtube and Twitter, and if a game piques my interest, I'll pick it up.

I have had to scale things back a little since my backlog was increasing at a much faster pace than I could clear it... so now I'm only getting games when I'm ready to play them... and at the pace I've been playing the ones I already have, by then, the price has lowered considerably - in some cases, a remastered version has even come out in the meantime.

(And I don't even have Playstation Plus, imagine if I did...).

Concerning future games I'm just checking gaming news daily on Dualshockers and if a news picks my interest I'll right the name of the game on a document I created for that purpose and if the game is really interesting I'll buy it day one. As far as older games are concerned, I'm just looking at my backlog to see which game I want to do again/complete/play for the first time even though I bough it ages ago and that's it.

I used to buy a lot of games during the PSN sales but I pretty much own every game I wanted to buy and I really want to get rid of my backlog to finally being able to play and enjoy new games when they release without having to think "1 game down, 50 to go" ... :P 

On 9/16/2018 at 0:01 AM, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

I know in the current marketing-crazed era where there's a trailer for some game around every corner this might sound a bit weird, but sometimes when I finish a game I don't know what to play next. So one day I decided to just go to the Games section on this site and clicked on the very last page. I then started watching reviews/gameplay videos on every single game, starting from the oldest ever tracked games with trophy support and when there is one that catches my interest I go out and buy it. This is how I came across the last 9 games on my profile and I only regret adding 1 of them. I think this is an interesting way to find games (or even entire genres) you would otherwise have overlooked. Right now I'm playing Persona 4 Golden which puts me somewhere around late 2012/early 2013 in the game release schedule. However I recently found out about blank accounts and will therefore go back to the very first games again because since I'm a completionist I haven't gotten into quite a lot of them because I felt like I couldn't complete them due to their difficulty. A blank account eliminates the risk of ending up with yet another incomplete game on your profile and by the way I'm baffled how I didn't have a clue about such a simple trick for so long.

So, how are you doing it? Are you just watching trailers or browsing the store? Do you rely on word of mouth? Do you have a certain genre or game series you constantly keep up to date with? Or did I just describe the standard procedure for most of you who are into trophies?

edit: In case anyone is wondering about blank accounts: Click me

It's not weird at all, particularly with the deluge of new releases we get on a weekly basis.

I look at Sony Deals for the most part. If something grabs me, I pick it up. If not, I dust off the backlog. I'm not a completionist, though, so I don't have that issue.

I mostly keep track on games on games sites. I bookmark anything that might interest me until I know if I want to play it or not, especially when game convention take place. Occasionally, when I look at a profile here on the site that has more than a few things in common, I browse their games list and see if something catches my eye.

At the moment I'm keeping my eye on sites like Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, Play-Asia.com and Strictly Limited Games.

In addition on a daily basis I'm clicking on the Games tab on this site to check out new trophy lists.

With both instances I then look at reviews, online reviews and gameplay footage on youtube and decide if the game is for me and put it on a wishlist. I colour code these games with orange if I really want the game and yellow if I want to get the game but wait until it's on sale. I've got quite an extensive wishlist now (around 150) on top of the 100 or so games in my backlog.

Just today for example I've just added to my wishlist "The Gardens Between" and "Bendy and the Ink Machine". They both look good but I'd never heard of them until I saw them in the "Games" section.

I also check out the Un-released games thread on here to see what's on the horizon.

My method for finding/getting new games to play is somewhat complicated: 

I frequent some gaming news sites and when I read about games that I find interesting and appealing, I'll keep their names in mind.

If the game is already out, I check reviews from Metacritic or Opencritic to find out whether the title is worth my time and if the content is to my liking. I may also read players' discussions and blog posts about the game and gameplay trailers and other research (like checking wikis for game mechanics) help to determine if the game is for me. 

If reviews sound good enough, I proceed into a state of considering a purchase.

Next step is checking the game for online trophies. If PS Plus is required, it's a no go. 

I evaluate my current backlog and games I'm currently playing. Will I complete them soon and do I really need a new game right now? What other must have games are coming out soon? 

I may check HowLongToBeat to see what kind of time investment to expect. Am I ready for a 100+ hour game or do I want a shorter experience to complete before the next big game release? 

If the game seems "too expensive", I'll wait for its price to drop. I may bookmark its PS Store page to check the price every week, add it to my watch list on Nintendo eShop or frequently check a retailer's site for a physical copy. 

When the price drops I again evaluate my current backlog and if I'd be playing the new game right away or very soon. 

If I won't be playing it soon, I might skip the purchase and wait for a new sale that likely has the price dropping even lower. 

Sometimes I actually buy games too. I just wish I had time to play them all... You're in a lucky position if you sometimes have to stop to wonder where you're going to find your next game!

Edited by Eyjabria
Added mention of HowLongToBeat.
  • Like 1