Getting grindy!

ElliotSmithy

Yeah, the content outside the main story is pretty lame. Especially the crimes, pigeon hunt, and science labs. 1 or 2 of these would be OK, but 150+ crimes, a dozen or so science labs, more pigeons than I care to count... Not very enjoyable, IMO. Really drags down what is otherwise a very good game.

Yeah.  I honestly didn't mind the labs or the landmarks/backpacks.  Getting collectables is one thing, and the lab quests at least had a measure of variety, but the variety in crimes is abysmal.  When you clear an area of crimes, you can expect to see the same crimes over and over and over and over again as you progress to other areas.  Kind of a let down on top of how grindy it is to clear the area of all the crimes.

Then the other side missions are pretty lackluster except for one or two of them. 

I enjoy the game, and almost finished with it, but damn, I wish they had done more with stuff that wasn't the main story.

I agree with you on this one, after completing everything I had to grind 3 hours to complete all missing random crimes, and since they spawn randomly every 30-60s, it got kinda boring the final ones.. 

Although, getting close to completing all of them got me hyped again :)

I'll agree that the actual variety and number of side activities there are to do is piss poor compared to SM2, SM3, or USM, even ASM2 had a bit more variety, but I'll take pretty much the same beat up scenario 100 times over what ASM1's post game offered, AKA LITERALLY nothing other than swinging around. In that game, once you've found all the collectibles and done all the objectives, they just stop coming, no random crimes to do, no people to save, nothing, you just swing in a baron city, even Disney Infinity 2 had more free roaming stuff to do.

However if you're just complaining that it's a grind to get the platinum, well, they could and SHOULD have made it a lot harder, check out what you needed to do in Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time to complete the web of challenges or whatever it was called, constant replaying and besting of levels. Much more effort. Spider-Man PS4 is a piss easy Spider-Man plat.

Yeah they could have done one less group of the random 5 crimes for one group in particular which I found unnecessary.

4 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'll agree that the actual variety and number of side activities there are to do is piss poor compared to SM2, SM3, or USM, even ASM2 had a bit more variety, but I'll take pretty much the same beat up scenario 100 times over what ASM1's post game offered, AKA LITERALLY nothing other than swinging around. In that game, once you've found all the collectibles and done all the objectives, they just stop coming, no random crimes to do, no people to save, nothing, you just swing in a baron city, even Disney Infinity 2 had more free roaming stuff to do.

Actually in post game, crimes do randomly pop up again. Just not until you beat the game. But otherwise, yeah nothing else to do but random crimes or replay bases after getting 100%. Kind of shocked that Insomniac didn't offer a New Game+ considering all of the Ratchet and Clank games had it.

Edited by Death_Ninja

On 9/18/2018 at 6:37 PM, ElliotSmithy said:

Don't get me wrong loving this game, but does anyone think there are too many of these damn random crimes! It is getting a tad repetative now! One if the problems of open world games. 

Nah. I loved the crimes, especially cuz they come so quickly after each other. I hated the research stations.

7 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

Actually in post game, crimes do randomly pop up again. Just not until you beat the game. But otherwise, yeah nothing else to do but random crimes or replay bases after getting 100%. Kind of shocked that Insomniac didn't offer a New Game+ considering all of the Ratchet and Clank games had it.

You mean in ASM1 or Spider-Man PS4? I know PS4 does it, but ASM1 had nothing. I've plat'd it 4 or 5 times, I know dude.

I liked the Pigeons, it was fun to traverse to capture them. Reminded me of the flying comic pages in The Amazing Spider-Man game, which I really liked. And I liked the backpacks, since it had nice references and backstory as a reward. And I thought some of the research labs were creative and cool, some were kind of annoying but overall I liked the concept.  [though the fact it had to go to load screens to change time of day for some things was stupid and tedious, especially since it would then load back to what you were at before ugh]

Crimes, there was too many and most of them were just about fighting enemies so they were basically the same. Even the "different" ones like chasing down cars end in... more fighting because more bad guys show up for you. Rather than you just webbing the car up or the drivers of it and being on your way, which I believe TAS game did that way which was a lot more fun to me.

I mean, maybe if the ones for hostages could've had like "grab the hostage and escape safely!" type things, it would've been better. I don't know, at least different. Again, TAS sort of had that at least you would grab sick people and take them to quarantine for treatment. So it was something, always interesting to hear the dialog of people while you swing around carrying them. But this game didn't have that at all.

I don't know, I hated the fires in TAS2 since if you missed as ingle person you were punished like you did nothing and that whole game had stupid design decisions in it and I barely played it as a result. But, at least it added something different to do as far as random happenings occurring in town.

Still loved the game, but it definitely got old trying to go through to a specific point on the map and having crimes appear, you do it, then you go back to the point and another crime appears, repeat until the area is literally cleared of all of them. It got a bit much. Sure you can ignore them, but if you want 100% you have to do them at some point so you may as well do them as they appear which is often by the end of the game when all enemy factions are roaming around.

Edited by Elvick_

3 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

Yup, read that wrong, my bad man.

What a freaking disappointment though.

I'm not gonna bag ASM1's game out, it's nothing special but it's competent and it's whole idea of following the cross species thread from the movie was actually quite alright and is up there with Scarface's game as far as games being sequels go. But how do you have a limit on the side missions? 

And then how do you go to ASM2 where if you don't save enough people the super cops actually try to kill you and put up lazer grids in the sky to try and stop you from swinging? You do one crime, you miss one or two, you do another, you miss a few more, it's never ending. Just let me have fucking fun, jesus.